Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will King Sombra Come Back?

Splodge Inks

gentleman.

I'm all for a darker MLP,

that being said, the show isn't suppose to be about killing people LOL.

I don't like the idea of "one acceptation."

so either they should bring him back,

or capital punishment should be on the table from now on.

• 6 months later...

Actually I'd love to see him return, but more powerful than ever after taking his time plan and recover from his loss etc. I have a theory about Sombra and the not talking thing. I always think that he was still very weak in the premiere which made him easy to defeat (comparatively).

So yeah I want to see Sombra return. He could bring a lot to the table, because how would you defeat him outside of the crystal empire? Then there are his motivations, right now it would be vengeance obviously, but what if he could possess people affected by crystals (like Shining Armour was)? Surely that could give him a way back in the Crystal Empire?

While i dont consider them villians i do like these antagonists:)

Gilda, I want to her but not with her returning but with the mane 6 visiting the griffon kingdoms. Also Flim and Flam, although I'm sure we'll not be seeing them again.

Hmm... my first thought with this is best expressed in a picture:

151223__safe_image-macro_king-sombra_spo

Hmm... my first thought with this is best expressed in a picture:

151223__safe_image-macro_king-sombra_spo

Ha, that could work! :lol: My preciouuuus...horn.

It would consume the one who finds it, kinda like in Inspiration Manifestation or in Magic Duel.

Ha, that could work! :lol: My preciouuuus...horn.

It would consume the one who finds it, kinda like in Inspiration Manifestation or in Magic Duel.

Probably Magic Duel, honestly. 

I think he defiently has the poltential to return, considering he had no backstory and he was a wasted villian. He was amazingly scary to me as a creature of shadow and dark crystals. I can forsee alot of the fanmade ideas of him getting into it.

Some say that King Sombra "died" after Twilight Sparkle, her Friends, Spike and Cadence found the crystal heart and he broke up into pieces. Personally though I recall this "as long as the kingdom keeps the faith and hope" he will never be able to breach the kingdom. Leading me to think he simple can't break the protection of the Empire right now cause the crystal heart has been retrieved and the citizens spirits are kept high and happy.

He can still return though if given the opprotunity I would think.

(edited)

Well, even though he's supposedly confirmed "dead" (yeah, like a million other villains before him haven't been blown to smithereens only to return somewhere down the line), I still wouldn't mind seeing him make a comeback. Frankly, I think he gets an unduly bad rep - to voice what is probably a wildly unpopular opinion, we don't need to know the entire life story of our villains in order for them to be intimidating, and in fact, I would pose that the more we know of a villain, the less intimidating (and the more tragic) s/he becomes.

There really is no threat more intimidating than that which is poorly understood. Fear of the unknown is, after all, is the #1 thing we humans - and by extension, ponies - find terrifying. Had Sombra's menacing nature been allowed to flourish, he'd have made for a much more badass villain in my eyes than Chrysalis. Instead, he was swiftly defeated and sent back to Dimension X "killed" in a single episode. A very disappointing end to a character who had the potential to be the next Ganondorf.

Edited by The Thrashy One

Nope......Meghan confirmed that he is dead and won't be coming back.    Good Riddance, i didn't like that character, tbh.

• Brohoof 1

Word of God is that he's dead, but that can be retconned.  If you want to write a fanfic with him, that's okay.  I've got one that will be releasing one in June.  I even gave him an elaborate backstory.

king_sombra_by_cmaggot-d5kpe62.jpg

Nope......Meghan confirmed that he is dead and won't be coming back.    Good Riddance, i didn't like that character, tbh.

Aww, that actually kinda sucks... Though, for those of you who have seen The Lord of the Rings, you might notice a *cough*obvious*cough* similarity between the defeat of Sombra in MLP and Sauron at the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring (not to mention that they have similar names).

Would be interesting to find more out about villains, like Sombra^^ But, when even, then only in another double episode or in a single episode(Or surprisley, the whole season is too find out how to defeat ...)

Well, the fandom has made a big deal of Sombra! And as we seen with Vinyl and her video "Music to my Ears", fans can work wonders in the world of pony.

As for his actual return, I can see it happening. I mean, we've had a couple of villains/antagonists make a return, and some have yet to come back.

Maybe in Season 5? Who knows? :D

• 1 month later...

Hi there, @Rarity Paige Belle. There was already a topic in existence for discussing whether or not King Sombra will return to the show, so I have merged yours into it.

Please make sure to search the forums before posting a new topic to ensure that it doesn't already exist.

Thanks!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Likely he won't 'come back'. At least not in a direct way. His *horn* may come back, but not him.

I have a mental image of some Earth Pony finding Sombra's horn, jokingly putting it on his forehead saying "Look! I'm a unicorn. Yuk, yuk." The horn grafting to the pony's forehead and the dark magic taking over.

But that's because I'm an old-time D&D player. Several of the creatures in MLP:FiM are firmly based on the D&D versions rather than their mythological versions. Given as Hasbro owns D&D right now, that's not surprising really. So I'm envisioning a 'hand of Vecna' scenario.

Normally I would say this is too dark for a MLP episode, but given the comics and that last episode with Tirek, they might actually figure out a way to pull that off inside a TV-Y rating.

Edited by Fhaolan

Likely he won't 'come back'. At least not in a direct way. His *horn* may come back, but not him.I have a mental image of some Earth Pony finding Sombra's horn, jokingly putting it on his forehead saying "Look! I'm a unicorn. Yuk, yuk." The horn grafting to the pony's forehead and the dark magic taking over.But that's because I'm an old-time D&D player. Several of the creatures in MLP:FiM are firmly based on the D&D versions rather than their mythological versions. Given as Hasbro owns D&D right now, that's not surprising really. So I'm envisioning a 'hand of Vecna' scenario.Normally I would say this is too dark for a MLP episode, but given the comics and that last episode with Tirek, they might actually figure out a way to pull that off inside a TV-Y rating.

But have you read the latest comic? It's set in an alternate universe, and the comic makes clear that because the AU Sombra is alive, the TV universe Sombra is too!

But have you read the latest comic? It's set in an alternate universe, and the comic makes clear that because the AU Sombra is alive, the TV universe Sombra is too!

Nope. I read the comics when they are released in trade (bundled into volumes) and that one hasn't come out in trade yet. :)

You never know. I hope to see evil Sombra again, though I do worry about the writers revealing too much in some sort of backstory.

Still though, twas nice to have good Sombra in the Reflections arc of the comic. :)

(edited)

You never know. I hope to see evil Sombra again, though I do worry about the writers revealing too much in some sort of backstory.

Still though, twas nice to have good Sombra in the Reflections arc of the comic. :)

Yeah, but the TV show universe Sombra will no longer be evil will he? Because everything in the AU is opposite to the TV show universe! Edited by Rarity Paige Belle

Yeah, but the TV show universe Sombra will no longer be evil will he? Because everything in the AU is opposite to the TV show universe!

Maybe so, but not everything that worked out in the comic made perfect sense. I mean if AU Celestia & Luna became could, should that technically lead to the main Celestia & Luna to become evil?

Then again, maybe with main Sombra incapacitated, that may have enabled the main sisters to stay good?

It's a bit convoluted, but you'll get that sometimes with alternate universe story lines.

It is what it is. :)

• Brohoof 1

The only way I see a come-back of Sombra possible (except AU-things, which I personally don´t count), is this: Shining Armor finds Sombras Armoury and cleanses the stuff inside from its dark magic. Then he puts on this top-quality weaponry, but he missed a little bit of Sombras dark magic, so he gets corrupted. And even this wouldn´t be Sombra himself but just his magic. (But one could put some nice Flashbacks into that episode)

I would certainly love to see him return. He has great potential to be a good villain. Or maybe some back story as to how he got the way he did.

I wouldn't mind seeing him around another time. He was an interesting villain, but a bit of underdeveloped as a character. However, two things must be mentioned, then:

First of all, as many before me must have pointed out, he probably got killed after being hit by the crystal heart's shockwave thing.

Secondly, we've seen him surviving for as far as a thousand years, and having the ability to become a smoke-like phantom rather than flesh and blood - he'll probably return as a ghost-like being if at all, which would be kind of scary for the target audience.