Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you think the writers will handle Princess Twilicorn?

Commander_PonyShep

For me, I feel it'll be like walking a tightrope hanging above a bottomless pit.

On the one hand, turning Twilight into an alicorn princess keeps the show from stagnating, as that means she's solving the problems of over five-to-seven million ponies, rather than just five and five alone (nine if you were to count Spike and the Cutie Mark Crusaders). However, that change was what divided our fanbase in the first place, and it might also go against the core essence that made the show good in the first place, namely the idea of six mares learning about friendship from each other.

On the other hand, they have to keep Twilight true to herself and her friends, even with the wings, growth-spurt, and responsibilities as a princess. They also have to make her friends continue supporting Twilight, even though she's an alicorn princess while they continue being run-of-the-mill ponies from Ponyville. Unfortunately, they keep the show too true to its roots, and all of us here would have to wonder what the purpose of Twilight's ascension to princess was, when she's still going to live in Ponyville with her friends.

Though, the writers did mention that Princess Twilicorn didn't prove as much as a challenge as any of us originally thought. How they managed to balance between old Twilight and new Twilight is yet to be revealed until Season Four. But for now, we'll have to wait, while letting the upcoming Equestria Girls spin-off show, as well as the comics and our own artwork and fan-fiction, tide us over until then.

EDIT: If I were to figure out how they'll be able to handle this, I think they might give Twilight the ability to shape-shift between her old unicorn form and her new alicorn form. She can magically change into a unicorn when she wants to move back to Ponyville so that she could study and be with her friends. And, when the time comes for her to delve into Equestria politics, or when she has to use her magic to its fullest to protect her friends, she can magically shape-shift into an alicorn to do so. At the very least, they should give Twilight the power to change between unicorn and alicorn freely and independently, if there is no way to change her back to a unicorn and keep her that way, without making it look like a cop-out.

I mean, after all, think of Goku's Super Saiyan transformations. Those are usually temporary and only reserved for battle, simply because of the limited ki those forms use up. When he's outside of battle and just hanging with his friends and family, he turns off his Super Saiyan mode and revert back to his normal, black-haired self, so that he could conserve his limited supply of ki. Likewise with Princess Twilight; her alicorn form could use up a lot of magic, and for her to conserve it, she'd have to switch to unicorn-mode.

Don't ask how Twilight remained an alicorn from when she earned her transformation, to when the credits started rolling, if I said that her alicorn form require a lot of magical energy and is finite. Even I don't know the answer.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 1

personally, i liked Twilight Sparkle better as a unicorn. i never thought the writers would go so far as to possibly change the storyline completely, and i just watched the episode yesterday on YouTube. geez.

• Brohoof 3

I think they should test the waters first..give her a chance to prove herself and maybe the season 4 finale will be Twilight goes back to normal not being able to handle the duties of being a princess. Look at lesson zero for example she couldn't find a problem so she caused a problem..likely the same thing is going to follow.  The end is not near just yet.

Edited by GolgoXIII

I think they should test the waters first..give her a chance to prove herself and maybe the season 4 finale will be Twilight goes back to normal not being able to handle the duties of being a princess. Look at lesson zero for example she couldn't find a problem so she caused a problem..likely the same thing is going to follow. The end is not near just yet.

Or, as I said earlier, they could give Twilight a spell that lets her freely switch between unicorn and alicorn, the same way we have Transformers freely switch between robot and vehicle. That way, the Pro-Twilicorns get their alicorn Twilight, while the Anti-Twilicorns get their unicorn Twilight. That way, everypony wins!

Plus, she can turn back into a unicorn any time she wants to study and be with her friends, and go back to an alicorn when she has to go back to running Equestria.

Yeah, that's the point...

Maybe the way she keep with her friend is flying together with Dashie, and Fluttershy...

Anyway...check this out...

Before, Pegasus: 2

After, Pegasus: 3 (just telling that the 6 mare now have 3 flyable pony...)

For me, I feel it'll be like walking a tightrope hanging above a bottomless pit.

This is *exactly* the concern that I have going forward.  How do they manage to balance between too much change so they lose what was good about the show, and too little change so that the whole transformation wasn't totally pointless?

Your idea of having Twilight create a spell so that she can transform from Alicorn to Unicorn and back is a good one.  It's so simple, I'm surprised that no one else has considered it yet.  It allows the show to continue forward with the same feel as the first 3 seasons, without undoing what was done in the S3 finale. 

It was like in Sailor Moon where in the end of Season 1 Usagi "became" Princess Serenity, and while she never stopped being that, she could go back to being plain old Usagi in day to day life, but simply bust out Serenity "mode" when necessary.

This is *exactly* the concern that I have going forward.  How do they manage to balance between too much change so they lose what was good about the show, and too little change so that the whole transformation wasn't totally pointless?

Your idea of having Twilight create a spell so that she can transform from Alicorn to Unicorn and back is a good one.  It's so simple, I'm surprised that no one else has considered it yet.  It allows the show to continue forward with the same feel as the first 3 seasons, without undoing what was done in the S3 finale. 

It was like in Sailor Moon where in the end of Season 1 Usagi "became" Princess Serenity, and while she never stopped being that, she could go back to being plain old Usagi in day to day life, but simply bust out Serenity "mode" when necessary.

My thoughts, exactly. If I can't see Twilight return to a unicorn, then I might as well have both unicorn Twilight and alicorn Twilight, namely through means of a shape-shifting spell. That way, Twilight can get rid of the wings when hanging out with her friends while studying, only to magically put them back on when she has to go back to ruling Equestria. Plus, it's a good middle-ground for both the Pro-Twilicorns and Anti-Twilicorns, as each side receives its own Twilight without compromising the other side.

Also, good use of the Usagi/Serenity analogy.

If anything can be salvaged from the catastrophic failure that was Las Pegasus Unicon, it's that Meghan confirmed that the Season 4 premiere will deal with Twilight conflicting feelings with becoming a princess.

We're in good hands, they know what to do.

If anything can be salvaged from the catastrophic failure that was Las Pegasus Unicon, it's that Meghan confirmed that the Season 4 premiere will deal with Twilight conflicting feelings with becoming a princess.

We're in good hands, they know what to do.

I know. Again, I came up with the idea that Twilight can use a shape-shifting spell on herself to switch between unicorn and alicorn. When she has to rule over Equestria, she puts on her wings. Otherwise, when on her free-time studying and hanging with her friends, she takes them off. The wings are ceremonial, after all.

I hope the writers use that plot-point for S4. In doing so, they keep the show true to itself, while changing it up so as to keep it from stagnating.

EDIT: Seriously, even HawkFlame agrees, and even likened it to Usagi and her alter-ego, Princess Serenity, from the anime series Sailor Moon.

I know. Again, I came up with the idea that Twilight can use a shape-shifting spell on herself to switch between unicorn and alicorn. When she has to rule over Equestria, she puts on her wings. Otherwise, when on her free-time studying and hanging with her friends, she takes them off. The wings are ceremonial, after all.

I hope the writers use that plot-point for S4. In doing so, they keep the show true to itself, while changing it up so as to keep it from stagnating.

Interesting theory, but unlikely. Luna, Celestia, and Cadance are all shown to be Alicorns 100% of the time, even during intimate moments where they are alone or with very close loved ones. It also feels a little too much like Sailor Moon.

More likely is that Twilight will give up being a princess all together, and return to being a regular ole' unicorn in Ponyville. A theory backed by the logic that choosing friendship over personal gain would be a very strong moral to teach kinds.

Does it kill off the opportunities they could've had with Twilicorn? Yes. But, self-sacrifice is totally within her character, so it seems logical.

Edited by Twinhead B

Interesting theory, but unlikely. Luna, Celestia, and Cadance are all shown to be Alicorns 100% of the time, even during intimate moments where they are alone or with very close loved ones. It also feels a little too much like Sailor Moon.

More likely is that Twilight will give up being a princess all together, and return to being a regular ole' unicorn in Ponyville. A theory backed by the logic that choosing friendship over personal gain would be a very strong moral to teach kinds.

Does it kill off the opportunities they could've had with Twilicorn? Yes. But, self-sacrifice is totally within her character, so it seems logical.

So the hay what? A lot of MLP: FiM had a lot in common with Sailor Moon. Both were about magical girls learning about the power of friendship, so that they could unite with their female friends to overcome the impossible. Even the Crystal Empire had a lot in common with Sailor Moon's Crystal Tokyo, which you can learn about here: http://ponyvillegazette.com/2012/11/12/is-my-little-ponys-crystal-empire-inspired-by-sailor-moons-crystal-tokyo/

And, trust me.  I came up with that argument plenty of times over, and it was normally met with opposition.  Better to just give Twilight a shape-shifting spell to let her switch between unicorn and alicorn freely, so that half of the bronies could get Twilight ruling over Equestria, and the other half could get Twilight studying and hanging out with her friends.  Though, I do agree with you on Twilight giving up personal gain for her friends, which would be in-character for her.

That idea would be so dumb. Trust me. Cadence was able to foalsit Twilight who was just a mere person and still had the wings. And Prince Blueblood is still called a prince even without wings.

Why cant Twily keep the wings and do all the stuff she did as a unicorn

That idea would be so dumb. Trust me. Cadence was able to foalsit Twilight who was just a mere person and still had the wings. And Prince Blueblood is still called a prince even without wings.

Why cant Twily keep the wings and do all the stuff she did as a unicorn

Dude, not everything has to make sense to you.  I mean, why does Prince Blueblood have no wings while Cadence does?  Why are you okay with that plot inconsistency, but not okay with Twilight shape-shifting between unicorn and alicorn?

As for the wings, they're symbols of Twilight's newly acquired power.  With them, she's amongst the most powerful and influential princesses in Equestria, rivaled only by Celestia and Luna.  Without them, however, she's just Twilight as usual.  Not to mention, she goes back to Ponyville with her wings, and she would only attract unwanted attention, which can be temporarily repelled through shape-shifting from alicorn to unicorn for a little while.  That means that ponies would take her more seriously as a ruler if she has the wings, and if she wants to tell her new subjects that she just wants to hang out with her friends or study, she can magically get rid of the wings until the time comes to return them.

Dude, not everything has to make sense to you.  I mean, why does Prince Blueblood have no wings while Cadence does?  Why are you okay with that plot inconsistency, but not okay with Twilight shape-shifting between unicorn and alicorn?

As for the wings, they're symbols of Twilight's newly acquired power.  With them, she's amongst the most powerful and influential princesses in Equestria, rivaled only by Celestia and Luna.  Without them, however, she's just Twilight as usual.  Not to mention, she goes back to Ponyville with her wings, and she would only attract unwanted attention, which can be temporarily repelled through shape-shifting from alicorn to unicorn for a little while.  That means that ponies would take her more seriously as a ruler if she has the wings, and if she wants to tell her new subjects that she just wants to hang out with her friends or study, she can magically get rid of the wings until the time comes to return them.

It just sounds too stupit. She will be a princess anyways with or without the wings, Everybody knows her face now and nobody will not know who she is just because she doesnt have wings.

I think you are still overreacting about the whole twilicorn thing

It just sounds too stupit. She will be a princess anyways with or without the wings, Everybody knows her face now and nobody will not know who she is just because she doesnt have wings.

I think you are still overreacting about the whole twilicorn thing

HawkFlame seemed to agree with me.  He believed that Twilight shape-changing between unicorn and alicorn can help find a middle-ground for both the Pro-Twilicorns and Anti-Twilicorns, respectively, and help the show stay true to its roots while retaining those changes.

Plus, every pony ignored her and her friends and treated them like normal civilians, even though they saved their lives around four-to-five times in a row.  That means they might as well ignore her when she shape-shifts from alicorn to unicorn.  And, as I said before, the wings are ceremonial and symbolic, meaning that she can get rid of them to reflect her time-off with her friends, and put them back on to reflect her time on duty.

Also, she was once a unicorn before becoming an alicorn.  It's not like she'll always be an alicorn like Celestia, Luna, and Cadence, all three of whom were born alicorns.

HawkFlame seemed to agree with me.  He believed that Twilight shape-changing between unicorn and alicorn can help find a middle-ground for both the Pro-Twilicorns and Anti-Twilicorns, respectively, and help the show stay true to its roots while retaining those changes.

Plus, every pony ignored her and her friends and treated them like normal civilians, even though they saved their lives around four-to-five times in a row.  That means they might as well ignore her when she shape-shifts from alicorn to unicorn.  And, as I said before, the wings are ceremonial and symbolic, meaning that she can get rid of them to reflect her time-off with her friends, and put them back on to reflect her time on duty.

Also, she was once a unicorn before becoming an alicorn.  It's not like she'll always be an alicorn like Celestia, Luna, and Cadence, all three of whom were born alicorns.

Just because one person agrees with you doesnt mean the entire fandom does. Your idea is cheesy. Ponies ignore them because they dont care about stuff like that. Only Chrysalis and the changelings and sombra actually did something and Cadence and SA were the ones who beated them. NMN and Discord only effected Ponyvill. But now shes a princess so everybody knows her. Nobody will just ignore her because she doesnt have her wings

Just because one person agrees with you doesnt mean the entire fandom does. Your idea is cheesy. Ponies ignore them because they dont care about stuff like that. Only Chrysalis and the changelings and sombra actually did something and Cadence and SA were the ones who beated them. NMN and Discord only effected Ponyvill. But now shes a princess so everybody knows her. Nobody will just ignore her because she doesnt have her wings

Again, Twilight was once a unicorn before becoming an alicorn. She might need to change between a unicorn and alicorn for the same reason a person would change between work clothes and casual clothes: To fit the right occasion.

I mean, do you have a job? If so, then you'd normally change into work clothes to fit with the job, only to change back into your casual clothes when you're at home. Same thing with Princess Twilight; she might need the wings to fit with her title, and she might magically get rid of them for a little while to reflect her time-off with her studies and friends.

And yes, I'd compare a pair of wings with work and casual clothes.

The writers will probably adopt the same solution that they have for the fact that main cast is several times over heroes of Equestria. Or for how dangerous the Everfree Forest is.

Any time they're going to have a Twilight Princess episode, it'll matter a lot that she's a princess. Anytime they're not having that kind of episode, nobody will care that she has wings.

I think they're going to end up having the difficulties of being a princess prevalent throughout the new season, possibly a Princess Cadence origin story, since neither her nor Twilight have the flowing mane thingy, I would assume that she followed a similar procedure. ALSO, if they don't have a "learning to fly" episode, I will waltz up to Hasbro and slap every writer's tender face. I don't care if she was flying at the end of The Magical Mystery Cure, flight is not something to be learned simply in a day.

SCIENCE TIME!

The body mass of Twilight would have to obviously change to accommodate her small wingspan, thus meaning that she requires extra muscle mass in her chest area and less on her legs, thus increasing the difficulty of walking, and her bones would have to become hollow or porous. The reason for this is because of the weight factor. In conclusion, THEY NEED A LEARNING TO FLY EPISODE.

Eh, it's just Twilight with wings, I'm sure she'll be written as brainy and adorkable as ever, her character is as well-established as the others so I don't think they can muck her up muc since the writers know who she is and how she should act. The only time I personally think Twilight was badly written was in It's About Time, but her freakout days seem to be over judging by Games Ponies Play so I don't think we'll have anything to worry about. ;)

I don't think magic to change her back and forth (from alicorn to unicorn) is going to solve the bigger problem here...She's become a Princess! Regardless of what she looks like, she is now a princess, and you can't just go back and forth from Royal Duty....

I really have to wonder what Hasbro planned when they told the team to make her alicorn.  I have talked to a lot of younger fans (I know a lot of kids who love the show) and almost all of them don't like twilight's change (only 2 did)...and this is comming from 6 and 7 year olds (19 different kids)....most of it is the fact the episode was too fast and left these poor kids confused more than anything.  And this is the targeted demographic!  The kids are confused, and want twilight normal, but yet they want the alicorn toys....That episode did what Hasbro wanted but to what cost?  Hasbro probably won't want Twi going back to normal either since the longer Twilight is Alicorn and Princess, the more toys they can create and sell based on that. 

I see a lot of comments about wanting Twilight to go back to being a unicorn.

Am i the only one that want the writers to go even further?

Season 4 would reach the greatest of heights when Twilight completes all the steps of succession and takes over Celestias place as the ruling goddess.

The next to final scene could be: Celestia and Luna alone in a room. Slowly losing their flowing manes and cutiemarks.

And Luna says, "You think she will be alright?"

And Celestia responds with "I know she will".

"Farewell, my fateful student Twilight Sparkle let you rule with wisdom and harmony."

And then the two sisters lay down together never to rise again.