Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

10 More Time Related Questions for Members of all Ages!

Wingnut

(edited)

1. What grade did you learn to type in? And have you ever used an ordinary typewriter, whether it was electric or manual?

manual, 3rd grade maybe. mihgt have learned on the pc first tbh

2. What was your first home video game system and what year did you get it?

Apple IIGS i guess (well a pc) no idea the year. Playstation with a game shark if it s has to be a "game system".

3. What is the oldest car, make and model year, you can remember your family owning?

Volvo station wagon 1972, built like a tank

4. Did you ever have first generation My Little Ponies or Transformers? If so, when did you get them?

No although i played with a friend's transformers occasionally (Soundwave was so awesome). Although i did have almost every original series and empire star wars figure.

5. Who was the earliest president, prime minister, governor, head honcho, etc. of your country that you have a first hand memory of?

Reagan.

6. Do you recall smoking being allowed in workplaces where you live? US members under 20 will generally say no but answers from other countries may vary.

yep, used to have smoking section in restaurants, malls.

7. Did you ever use old-style roller skates instead of roller blades?

Yep Skate City had these and i did the roller rinks

8. Did you ever use a pre-Windows PC?

Yep, again Apple IIGS

9. Remember “Be kind, please rewind”?

Definitely, Indiana Jones or Flashdance was the first rental. I remember Beta vs VHS!!

10. Name the first big blockbuster movie you recall watching in a theater that wasn't a re-release.

Probably Star Wars

Edited by Freewave

1. What grade did you learn to type in? And have you ever used an ordinary typewriter, whether it was electric or manual?

I really don't remember. I know I took a course back in elementary or middle school. And no, I never have used a typewriter.

My parents had a NES in the living room when I was really young, I remember playing that. However, the first home console I owned as a SNES. I don't remember when I got it, to be honest. lol

3. What is the oldest car, make and model year, you can remember your family owning?

Cars? Geez, you couldn't have found a harder question for me to answer. I know nothing about them. lol. I remember we had a Sable. I only remember it was blue, but nothing other than that. lol

4. Did you ever have first generation My Little Ponies or Transformers? If so, when did you get them?

No.

5. Who was the earliest president, prime minister, governor, head honcho, etc. of your country that you have a first hand memory of?

Bill Clinton.

6. Do you recall smoking being allowed in workplaces where you live? US members under 20 will generally say no but answers from other countries may vary.

Yes. Ew.

We had some, but I was never any good with them.

Um... "pre-Windows" PC, what is that even supposed to mean?

Before my teen years my family used exclusively Macs, and so did our schools. But I don't think that counts...

I remember VHS's, yes. I have a VCR in my room in fact, and I believe I even watched stuff on it less than a year ago. lol

10. Name the first big blockbuster movie you recall watching in a theater that wasn't a re-release.

I have no idea.

(edited)

1. What grade did you learn to type in? And have you ever used an ordinary typewriter, whether it was electric or manual?

First, and no

Sega Saturn

3. What is the oldest car, make and model year, you can remember your family owning?

Some 1980's Monte Carlo. I'm not even joking

4. Did you ever have first generation My Little Ponies or Transformers? If so, when did you get them?

No, tbh, I never really cared for either 

Clinton

No, then again, I hardly ever wanted to leave my house

Yes, they were green 

No

Yes. I still miss video rental stores

I only remember watching watching Pokemon the First Movie and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. For the most part, I know what movies I watched before those, but they were so unmemorable that I don't remember their names

Edited by Megas75

1. I began to learn officially in 5th grade, but I had been typing since kindergarten.

2. My mom didnt let us have video game consols until the Wii came out. Unless you count a computer

3. 98 Mazda Proteje (or however you spell it)

4. Yes. It was a plastic pony. It had a single balloon cutie mark

5. Clinton

6. No.

7. Yes. At first I could only use that kind

8. No. Just a windows 98 was as old as i can go

9. Yep.

10. Spongebob Movie, maybe. I cant remember that stuff.

1. What grade did you learn to type in? And have you ever used an ordinary typewriter, whether it was electric or manual?

Learned as in formally? In a  10th or 11th grade elective class. No typewriter experience whatsoever.

I vaguely remember having an SNES though I'm not too sure about that one. Though I do remember Sony Playstation vividly; we got that somewhere between late 1995 and mid 1996.

3. What is the oldest car, make and model year, you can remember your family owning?

Volkswagen Passat, the year was somewhere in the 90's. Sorry, cars were just cars back then. I only remember the name of the car, not the color, shape or anything else about it.

4. Did you ever have first generation My Little Ponies or Transformers? If so, when did you get them?

I kinda remember Transformers but I have no idea what generation it was. I only remember this because my brother use to watch it; he might have had it but not me.

Bill Clinton

Nope.

I feel like I did but I can't put a particular memory to it. I wasn't a fan of skates in general and I'm still not.

Not that I know of. Earliest I can think of is windows 95 or so.

Nope.

10. Name the first big blockbuster movie you recall watching in a theater that wasn't a re-release

I'm drawing a blank...

• 5 years later...
On 27.2.2013 at 1:35 AM, Wingnut said:

OK, I'm back with another questionnaire that will hopefully start a nice discussion and make people think about how far we've come.

I'll chime in a little later with my personal answers to each question. Enjoy! :)

EDIT:  If anybody who wants to read my personal answers to these questions, please scroll down to post #17. 

1. it was in kindergarten i guess and yess i've used a manual one

2. ps1 it was for me from my brother around the '01-'02

3. Nissan Cherry i guess it was '80 something

4. no

5. Halonen i dont remember when she was elected though maybe '06

6. it was allowed here

7. i never used any of them

8. my first was xp

9.i have no idea what that is

10. toy story 1 or 2 i dont rememb

1. I believe it was 1st, but I could be wrong. :ooh:

2. The GameCube; i inherited it from my siblings. 

3. A 1987 Buick, I believe.

4. Neither, actually. :adorkable:

5. I remember Barrack Obama being elected when I was in Elementary school~!

6. You guessed right: No. :please:

7. This would imply that I can skate at all~! ^_^

8. Nah.

9. No, but I do remember having a VHS~! :grin:

10. I think it was Happy Feet, but I could be wrong. :pout:

(edited)
On 2/26/2013 at 5:35 PM, Wingnut said:

Eighth grade, and again in tenth grade, both times on a manual typewriter.  Electrics were few, and only occasionally would you get to use one.

Coleco Telstar, and while I don't know the exact year, it was in the mid- to late-70s.

1973 Dodge Challenger, and at one time we also had a late-60s Thunderbird.

I never had either of those.

Richard Nixon.

Smoking was allowed just about everywhere when I was a kid.

Yes.

Yes.

Oh yes.

Star Wars (but it's better known these days as Episode 4: A New Hope), and I saw it at the drive-in.

Edited by Longhaul

I didn't learn in a school. I was self-taught by using the computer to type my stories. I was about 14 or 15 at the time.

It was my dad's old Telstar system from the late '70s. It was around long before I was. 

It was a 1973 Ford Galaxy 500. 

If you mean toys, I didn't have them. I have some old videos of G1 ponies, but that's all.

Clinton I guess. 

Yes, and they smoked like freakin' chimneys. 

Always. I'm not good on blades.

Yes. My dad's (again) ancient Commodore 64. 

Yup, vividly.

Titanic probably. 

(edited)

Grade I don't know, I don't know the term in English, but it was when I was 5/6 years old, and yes, I've used an ordinary typewriter, we still have it in the house

SNES, at 2004 (i think), a cousin gave it to me :3

I don't remember the name of the model anymore, I can't search for information because I don't remember so many details

Transformers, but just a toy from Mc Donald's

"Vicente Fox Quesada" if remember correctly, sometimes use to pass his news on television, he was the president of Mexico in those years xD

Nope :P

To be honest I've never skated :kindness:

Nope

Nope, I just searched for it and in my country, they didn't even use an equivalent to that stamp xD

Dragon Ball Evolution, I liked it back then, I had never been to the cinema in my 9 years of life and I was a fan of the franchise :)

Edited by Gabosor

it was in preschool, on those old macs

My PS4 was the first console that I bought with my own money, before that my brother would buy them and I'd play them

1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, my dad had taste

no

George W Bush

no

no

no

vaguely 

ugh, idk tbh

I first learned how to type JUST before I started school, when I was in Nursery/Kindergarten. We were actively encouraged to use Computers as often as possible, haha. And nope, never used a typewriter.

My first ever Video Game System was the original PlayStation. I think we got it back in 1996, 4 years before I was born, it was my dad that owned it.

Funnily enough, when I was a kid, nobody in my immediate family drove. Except for uncles/grandparents, but I don't have a clue what they drove, haha.

Neither man, I was more of a Hot Wheels guy. :D

I'd probably say Tony Blair, back when he was still a thing, haha.

Can't say I do.

I used both! But I think I preferred roller blades.

Nope.

I remember the general etiquette when it came to borrowing a VHS, but not that specific slogan.

Ooft man, the earliest blockbuster that I can actually recall must've been Revenge of the Sith back in 2005, cinema was absolutely packed that day. 

I can't remember when I learned how to type, but I was self-taught, my hands move all over the keyboard when I type rather than staying on the 'home row'! 

My first ever Video Game System was the original PlayStation. I think my dad got it in 1998 or 1997.

My dad drove until I was 6 then stopped until I was 10 for a little while then sold his car (again).

Neither, My sister ( @pegisister46) had a G3 Twilight Twinkle doll and I may have played with it more than my sister.

For the English overlords David Cameron and for the Scottish Government Alex Salmond.

Can't say I do.

Yeah I used one of them but I don't like them and remember falling on my arse way too fuckin much

Nope, most computers would have been XP when I was a foal child until the widespread adoption of Windows 7

We never borrowed DVDs or VHSs but that's probably due to Blockbuster shutting down when I was still a young foal child.

The first I can remember is Toy Story 3

1. 3rd grade?

2. The Wii around 2008

3. A Jeep, I think.

4. No. G4 is the oldest generation I know about at all.

5. George W. Bush

6. No

7. Yes, because I’m scared to use roller blades lol

8. Doubt it

9. Don’t know it

10. Alvin & The Chipmunks 

On 2/26/2013 at 7:35 PM, Wingnut said:

OK, I'm back with another questionnaire that will hopefully start a nice discussion and make people think about how far we've come.

I'll chime in a little later with my personal answers to each question. Enjoy! :)

EDIT:  If anybody who wants to read my personal answers to these questions, please scroll down to post #17. 

1. I honestly don't remember. :lol: When you say type you mean on a laptop and/or computer right? If so I was probably around 5th grade. And no I've never used a typewriter. 

2. No idea. I don't even know what a home video game system is. :lol:

3. The oldest car I remember my family owning was my mom's green Ford Escort, I wanna say the model year was 1999? Or maybe it was 2000 or 2001. I don't even remember. We finally had to junk the thing in 2010 if I remember right. 

4. My mom kept some of her first generation ponies, and passed them down to me. I still have them, just two of them are missing their tails. :lol: They're super old. 

5. I never payed much attention to politics when I was a kid, really not until Obama was in office.

6. That would be a no. 

7. I can't rollerskate or rollerblade for nothin. :(

8. I don't think so...I don't know.

9. I don't know....it sounds familar. :lol:

10. No idea. I never went to theaters to watch movies until 2011 when Cars 2 came out. We went to see it in theaters. 

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. I grew up with a computer before grade 1 and I didn't really learn how to type. I guess over time, I slowly developed my own touch-typing patterns.It's a little more freestyle than the standard four fingers + spacebar, plus I never use my pinkies for anything other than holding down the shift key.

I also used a regular typewriter once. It was a manual one, it was a bit of a pain to use honestly, which is likely why I never really ended up using the thing.

The first system I ever used was the SNES in the early 90's. It was my parents' console; they liked playing super mario world on it. When I was in first grade, I was given a gameboy colour for christmas. I suppose technically that was my first game system.

I can't remember what the name, make and model of it is, but I remember this old classic car my grandfather used to own. It was green and kind of shaped like an old-fashioned volkswagen beetle.

Nope!

Prime Minister Jean Cretien. Which makes sense as he was in office for pretty much an entire decade.

Not really confident enough to say yes. If it was, it was when I was really young.

Oh god yes... So there was this one field trip we took in school to a roller rink. I had never roller scated before, but I wanted to give it a shot. I could not figure out how to use those bloody things. I probably would have been better with roller blades because I can ice skate fairly competently, but I could not pick up speed without tripping over myself. And braking with that lump of rubber on the front? Hahaha, impossible. I just ran into walls to stop myself. Fortunately I brought a helmet; it was very much needed that day.

Not back then, our family computer was a windows 95 machine for the longest time. Now, I'm using Linux as my primary OS, which I guess technically counts.

Yeppers!

Pokemon the First Movie on the November 10th early showing.

Now, supposedly I saw Toy Story earlier than that, but I only remember seeing it later on VHS when I was told I saw it before despite the movie being completely fresh to me. Must have been lost to childhood amnesia.

I don't remember the grade, but it was Middle School I believe

The first video game system I ever owned was an N64 with Pokemon Stadium and PokemonSnap

I am not aware because I was orphaned as a child and grew up under state care.

I did not have either.

The only one I can really remember was Bill Clinton

Yes, mostly in restaurants.

Yes of course, but I preferred roller blades

No, always used Windows except for a small stint in college where I used a MAC. (fun fact: I hate Macs and all apple products -___-;)

Of course!

I saw Jurrassic Park and Lion King when they came out in theaters ^__^

1. If the question implies learning typing in school, I was homeschooled from 3rd grade onward so I dunno if it was part of the curriculum at any point. I have never used a typewriter - I've scarcely ever seen one hehe
2. Playstation 1! In either 1999 or 2000 I believe (it's worth noting it wasn't "mine" per se, but that's the first one we had at home)
3. Toyota Camry. I could not hazard a guess as to the year but it sure looked very old xD (probably late 1980s?)
4. Nope
5. I was 4 during the 2000 election, I don't remember Bill Clinton but do have faint memories of the election since it was such a controversial one. My neighborhood was not too pleased when Al Gore lost hehe (so on topic the answer would be George Bush)
6. I don't believe so
7. Tbh I'm not sure what the distinction is :please: I guess that answers for me
8. Not to my knowledge
9. No but I do realize what this refers to (rented tapes I assume)
10. My family doesn't go to theaters a lot. So probably nothing that would be considered a blockbuster until The Avengers in 2012

• 5 years later...

I think it was second grade when they started having us do stuff on the computer….

Sega Genesis. It was technically my dads. Idk when he got it

1946 Chevy. It’s a hot rod. My dad still owns it

If I did have first Gen mlp toys it was from my grandparents buying them for me somewhere. I know I had third Gen merch as a kid.

George Bush jr

Look. It’s never been allowed any place I’ve worked but people do it anyway. When I worked in retail my coworker was vaping at the cash register beside me. 

No. I was a stay indoors sort of child lol.

No

No

I don’t know. I’m going to say Avatar. Just because we used to rent movies and dvds a lot because it was cheaper. I also can’t really remember what movies I saw in theaters as a kid. I just remember seeing avatar late at night with another girl in high school. It was like super awkward because she was making out with her boyfriend right beside me the whole time. I also ended up falling asleep during the movie lol.

On 2013-03-02 at 7:55 PM, Envy said:

No.

Hey, I can correct this one now, as I learned a few years back that I did have and play with G1 My Little Ponies when I was really little. =)

1st or 2nd grade I don't remember exactly. Never used a typewriter, we were well into the information age when I was born.

GameCube. 2005 or 2004 can't quite recall. Came with a copy of Animal Crossing.

A Nissan 240SX from... I'm not sure the year.

No, I was never too into Transformer and 1st gen ponies were before my time.

George W Bush... Although Obama is who I remember most distinctly.

Too young for this question. It's not allowed but everyone vapes anyway. All it took for y'all to smoke nicotine again was for it to be packaged up in colorful shiny packages with fruity flavors. Pathetic.

Never.

Yes but not growing up.

I do.

I really don't know. I think it might've been Chicken Little (does that count as a blockbuster?).