Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

what router/wireless access point do you use?

DJPurplyPi3

what router brand do you use  

15 users have voted

1. 1. what router brand do you use?

• AMPED WIRELESS!!
    • Netgear
    • Cisco Linksys
    • Cisco enterprise
    • D-Link
    • TP-Link
    • Buffalo
    • Other (Please specify)

(edited)

Well, I often use AT&T 4G, which I don't believe uses wifi or an IP address. However, when I'm not on my phone, or at home, I use a 2WIRE router. I like it a lot.

Naw just kidding. I still use dial-up.

Edited by Betez

(edited)

I use a Netgear router. I have had it for nearly 5 years and it still works quite well, though it likes to randomly cut out from time to time, it usually does this at least once per day. Other than that, given the price, it was well worth it. I may get an upgrade down the line.

FORESHADOWING?! Maybe. 

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

Right now I have the BoB Lite from westnet on the 200GB deal :) But I'm changing soon to TPG's unlimited in june :D

I only need that much because I live with a download crazy brother :/ Even while I'm playing Xbox

I'm using a Buffalo WZR-G300-NH as the primary and (another) Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as a repeater. Both are high power routers and the coverage has been of acceptable range so far.

I think my router is D-LINK, but honestly I'm too lazy to go downstairs and check. It's some really crappy router for our crappy plan :P

• 3 months later...

You forgot the Belkin series! I currently am using a Belkin N750, which works perfectly with my Charter plan, as it creates an incredible Broadband at an incredible speed. Love it. 

Had a linksys router for years, but the thing seemed to finally reach its breaking point as it cut out often and ran slow at times.

So I got a Netgear one, and now everything is so fast! happy.png

Curently have a D-Link DIR 655 it's been solid for the past 2 years, up until a couple months ago. the Wireless would randomly stop sending/receiving. and I get a little yellow exclamation mark beside my wireless bars in my taskbar. Unplug and plug the router and it'll work again...for how long?never know sometimes it'll go 2-3 days without a hiccup other times it's 2-3 times a day.

I think it's time for a new router.....

(edited)

I use a Linksys router that I got at a thrift store awhile back, and it was old even then. It's from like 2005 I think. tongue.png

Looking at the poll, I'm the only one so far who uses one. No love for the Linksys?

Edited by -Nobody-

We have some linksys router of some kind, it seems to work pretty well I think, the internet is pretty fast, although this computer I have right now isn't that fast on the other hand...

What is this "wireless" you speak of? We don't have that at my house... I do have a router, but even though it's sitting almost directly in front of me, I can't tell what it is... Or if it even matters because apparently I'm in the stone age for not having wireless internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow that's cool there's still some discussion aboout this!! I also think the extensive character count is a little excessive but hey it gives me more time to gloat about how awesome my router is... LOL.

• 6 years later...

I’m not exactly sure? I’m not an expert on this type of thing. :adorkable: But I do use Spectrum Internet and there’s an internet box hooked up to the wall in my sister’s bedroom...so there’s that. 

I personally use a Linux server as a router as that allows me the most flexibility.

However, such setup is not for everyone, so I have two alternatives I suggest to people:

1. An older PC/server with pfSense installed. Has a lot of features, but has a web interface so it's easier to control than my Linux server. 

2. A Mikrotik router. Takes up less space and uses less power than a PC, but also has a lot of features and is very reliable. It may be a little difficult to configure compared to a "normal/crap" router, but that is offset by the fact that you will only reboot it when updating and the fact that you can do a lot with it.

For WiFi my recommendations are like this:

1. If you need to cover a smaller area and do not have a lot of WiFi devices, then you can use a Mikrotik router with WiFi, they work great.

2. If you need to cover a large area and require multiple access points because of that, the I would recommend Ubiquiti UniFi series. 

I personally use a single UniFi Access Point.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for those companies, I am not paid to advertise their products, just that I really like them and will happily suggest them to clients.

Edited by Pentium100

I have the standard cable Wi-Fi router from Virgin Media (the only cable company in UK)
And the only complaint is with the range, even though my flat is very small, I can't even get to my bathroom, which is only separated by the router by the kitchen, a room where I can touch both the walls by standing in the center (in a brick house, not a concrete house), but as I get the 2nd fastest speeds in the UK with it, I couldn't complain

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Get a proper AP then :twismile:.

Bricks do attenuate the signal, but it should not be that much, unless the wall also had metal in it.

my mum probably wouldn't want anything like that done,
would like to put like a repeater in my mum's room though as that'd fix it

yeah, it would, but it wouldn't be like a concrete wall bad

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Sherbert MGS said:

would like to put like a repeater in my mum's room though as that'd fix it

Yea, but a repeater drops your connection speed by half. Then again, even with a proper AP the speed may be bad if there is enough attenuation.

Oh, I just though of something. Do you live in an individual house or an apartment? If it's an apartment then you may have problems because of interference from the neighbors, in that case you should look for a less used channel and set the width to 20MHz instead of 40..

25 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Yea, but a repeater drops your connection speed by half. Then again, even with a proper AP the speed may be bad if there is enough attenuation.

Oh, I just though of something. Do you live in an individual house or an apartment? If it's an apartment then you may have problems because of interference from the neighbors, in that case you should look for a less used channel and set the width to 20MHz instead of 40..

yeah, true, but half of 100mbit/s is still 50 mbit/s

I live in an apartment, maybe, might ask my mum to try that

• Brohoof 1