Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You don't seem like the type who would...?

LittleSis

People tell me I look like the type who wouldn't be an engineer, which is what I'm aiming for. Somehow, being a girl that wears makeup automatically constitutes me as some stereotypical, brain-dead cheerleader.

Wait, we don't have cheerleaders in my town. But you know what I mean. The stereotype is still there.

They also say I don't look like I'd play video games or listen to the music I listen to (namely, indie rock and metal.)

;_;

Most people think that I'm going to school for engineering or computer science. I don't know why. I'm actually going for commercial transport mechanics. My personality absolutely does not fit with anyone else there though. I also hate math, physics, and all those sorts of subjects. I liked English and Geography throughout high school. Go figure.

People get surprised a lot when they're getting to know me. I'm a very strange person. I do things my own way, ignoring social standards. I act like a Yong child with the maturity of a lawyer. (Ok maybe that's a bit exaggerated) I'm always busy working on my own time and spend most of my money on tools instead of games like most people. People still consider me a gamer though. I particular end up being a leader. I'm never effected by people's attempts to put me down, and usually I turn it around on them by coming back with something generally kind.

I could go on, but this is the kind of stuff people don't generally expect out of a stereotypical rock star.

...like a stupid television show for little girls about magical talking horses.

I suppose you could explain that to "be in an internet fandom in general."  Ponies attracted quite a lot of people (myself among them) who had no prior experience in a fandom and likely would never have joined one.

All there is is how sick and twisted my mind is, it's also dirty, Pinkazoid's incredibly dirty mind ; n ;

Friends say i'm too innocent to think of stuff like that, i'm not :D

• Brohoof 1

Pretty simple: Something you do or like that most people wouldn't expect based off of everything else in your life or how you look or act.

My example:

Ever since I started listening to metal and hard rock (Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Korn, Disturbed, etc), the first response I got when people learned about it was "You don't look like the type of girl who would like that." That has always really bothered me. It is true, I don't look or really act like a "metalhead"--hell, I'm a BALLERINA. Skinny, short, generally nice, not too "out there" in fashion or makeup or anything. But I still love the music and have had a slightly unhealthy obsession with Marilyn Manson. So who is anyone to judge or assume my taste in music based on my "look" or how I seem to people?

This is... wow, yes, exactly that. Except for the ballerina part... and the skinny, short girl part... Ok fine so there are some differences. dry.png

But yes! Metal. angry.png  I've been into metal for most of my life and I get that same incredulous response frequently. I think that that may just be a symptom of the genre. There are quite a few metal-heads that don't look the part. Then again, the soul of Metal is non-conformity, so maybe this is to be expected.  In any case, rock on.

P.S. Ballerina metal-head? Freakin' awesome.

• Brohoof 1

Many people I meet usually have the impression that I am never angry.

This is not the case, it's just that I suppress that anger and express it in a way that doesn't involve yelling or hurting anybody. Even when I try to yell, I appear to still be rather soft spoken. I have occasionally snapped in the past, but this happens very rarely and only in the most extreme of circumstances.

(Also what a strange word the word "very" is... Just look at the spelling for two seconds...)

Edited by Celtore

Something most people don't know about me.... Well... hmmm...?

I'm usually a pretty open person, but I do tend to hide my adoration for MLP FiM. Also, I lot of people are surprised when they find out I've traveled to like 6 different countries laugh.png

I definitely have something like this! No one who knows me and hasn't been told this would ever expect that I like horror movies, and this doesn't bother me, because I used to hate them, and frankly, it's something I never expected of myself. I'm a very cutesy, girly-girl type and I'm pretty easily scared. My dad's been hoping I'd someday be his horror movie buddy for years, and he finally got to me! ^.^

There are three things that I can think of that people wouldn't expect of me. 

The first is that no one expects me to talk. Ever. I'm a really quiet and shy person; I almost never talk in class and I don't usually start conversations with people I don't know. My voice is really quiet and people never hear me when I talk anyways. So when people finally see me around my friends or people I'm comfortable with, they're usually pretty surprised. 

The second is how much I eat. I love food and I love to eat. I'm always hungry even though I eat A LOT. No one expects this because I'm 5'2" and weigh between 105 and 110 so I'm a very small person. I eat more than most of my guy friends and they always make jokes about it. :P 

And finally, no one - not even myself- expected that I would ever be a cheerleader. I wasn't the cheerleader type at all, I didn't think I would even make it on the team. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I went from not being the cheerleader type to being the cheer captain in one year. 

People tend to have this notion of me being somebody who listens to classical and only classical. I've even been called "Mrs. Classical". I'm not exactly sure where this came from (maybe because I'm in orchestra?). Of course, I do listen to classical and love it. However, it's funny because nobody expects me to listen to any of the music they do... "Whoa, you like ____? I had no idea!".

I don't get it... I could see somebody being shocked that I'd listen to a band like Streetlight Manifesto (very heavy by my standards), but I really listen to and love a lot of pop music (in general term).

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

I've gotten "You don't seem like a geek!" quite a bit. I'm a literature enthusiast, and I usually have a fairly good vocabulary, and have a preference for sweaters and tams. So people assume that I don't own the keep the original Star Wars trilogy next to my bed and watch them at least once a week, or write Lord of the Rings fanfiction, or watch Star Trek in my bathrobe at night.

Also: "You don't seem like the type who's scared of guys!" I actually am. I get past it all right if I'm with someone I know, but if I'm by myself I have this overwhelming terror of talking to guys. O_e Dating should be reeeeal interesting once I get out of college.

• Brohoof 2

People in real life don't expect me to have an actual sense of humor or personality. They assume I'm shy quiet girl who is brainy. It is quite a shock when they learn that I am extremely loud, generally bouncy, and full of energy when exhibiting what I consider to be my true personality. I've seen this happen once when I had to read out a humorous poem in class. Everyone, who was falling asleep at the boringness of the other projects, started laughing and were like: "Quiet girl is FUNNY?!" My reading of it wasn't all that shy either. Once you talk to me, the general consensus seems to be that I am more humorous than expected.

On the internet, of course, it's the reverse. I am generally thought to be mostly confident, and stable, and people are surprised to hear that I often struggle with a plethora of mental issues, and massive fears of rejection and opinions, as well as low self-esteem. Basic tasks are difficult for me in real life due to confrontation. Due to my particular status here though, and the way I speak (long-winded, sounding all fancy and serious), people are not likely to think I can be funny either. So that's a common misconception. 

And in real life, people are surprised that just because I don't like to wear makeup or high heels, that I enjoy being feminine and take pride in my femininity. Also because I'm a nerd girl and nerd girls tend to be a bit tomboyish or something to them. I like dresses, and I like skirts. I don't like wearing t-shirts that say things on them. I like to look nice. (To me.) 

Due to owning a cat as well, people express surprise that I'm a dog person instead. (Though I like both) And prefer dogs, as well as identifying with them more. 

Another tidbit you wouldn't expect out of me: I know some minor website coding. (HTML and CSS) I can make layouts, and I can muck about with them a bit more than your average person can. I'm not super advanced or anything, but it's just that sort of thing that would catch people by surprise a little. Due to the fact that I just am super awful at all things code.

Other than that, I pretty much operate as you would expect me to. Though many find the fact that I have a sense of humor at all to be a big surprise in and of itself.

Edited by Princess Arylett
  • Brohoof 2

I want to be a voice actress, yet anyone who has known me from pre-k to 12th grade always saying to me "YOU want to be WHAT?!" They always think because I'm quiet or shy, that I don't have the potential to be what I REALLY want to be. Even my own mother has gone as far to say that with how I act and how I don't "speak up" I'll never be about to accomplish my goal. :\ Though, I normally just feel like I don't HAVE to speak up, or that it's not my place to. It's not that I'm shy or anything. I mean, I was when I was a little girl, but I grew out of that. Though still, even people who normally just meet me are always completely baffled when I tell them what I aspire to be. I dunno, I never say anything about it and I just roll my eyes but it's truly annoying.

And not only the voice actress thing gets on my nerves. When I was in middle school, I was CRAZY about anime. But because I'm black, I always had someone said to me, "you're black, you should like rap and not japanese stuff" It got me pretty fumed, of course. But maybe that's why I plan to show them all that I CAN to things that may seem "out of my character" because it's who I am. :)

Huh, you know, no ones ever said anything like this to me before. Either people don't notice me, I'm just that predictable, or my rep is longstanding.

Huh...

Then again, I did pretty much go through a 180 personality change a few months ago, so maybe this will change.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

People don't expect me to be a brony. I'm kind of big guy, and people just don't see anything stereotypically girly about me.

People are often surprised I'm an atheist because I go to a Catholic school.

People are surprised when I make mistakes because they seriously overestimate my intelligence.

That's about it,

I know a couple that come to mind...

1. You don't seem like the person to really like rock music... I mean, you are a classical music freak. I don't mind rock music; it's just that it's not my favourite genre.

2. You and video games don't fit. You're a biology major. How can you love video games?

I think I have this one thing.

Since I'm  tall, my family would expect me to be interested in sports, especially basketball. But I'm not really interested in sports, I'm actually interested in nerdy stuff.

I am basically the stereotypical headcase at my school. I wear a lot of black (people keep buying black stuff for me) and I ALWAYS wear my comfortable red coat. Doesn't matter how hot it is.

Yesterday, I wore a boater to school.

boater-straw-jul-2-2002-225x.gif

Yeah, I've heard that one a few times. xD

The first one that comes to mind is when someone at my last job was surprised when I told him that I like jazz. When I asked why, all he could say was "You just don't seem like the kind of guy who would like jazz." At work I was known to go out of my way and stay late to help people with things that didn't fall under my job description and had a way of building a rapport with a lot of the more friendly and motivated students. What other kind of guy would I have to be to enjoy jazz music? :\

Here's one that I can understand: people don't think I'm the type who would enjoy baking or interior design, yet I enjoy both of those things. I have an eye for color coordination and arranging a room; it's something I also find soothing. Baking is a relaxing hobby, and a delicious one too. Breads, cakes, cupcakes, cookies - you name it and I'll bake it. A few others have said I really don't seem like someone who would own the weapons that I do, or any at all; again, I don't know why this is. I appreciate precision and fine workmanship, both of which go into making any effective gun or blade.

My interests are eclectic. Various forms of art and entertainment appeal to me even if I'm not defined by any one in particular, like some people are. Reading is one of my favorite pastimes and most of what I read is Sci-Fi, fantasy, and the like, which is entirely expected by those who know me, once they get over the surprise that I actually enjoy reading. Twilight and Applejack are almost opposites in that one is very cerebral and one is very physical. However, I can relate strongly to both of them and for a while it was hard for me to name one of them as "best pony." Expect the unexpected wherever I'm involved.

• Brohoof 2

Being a brony is something nopony expects from me, but that's a kind of lazy answer because most people don't expect most bronies to be bronies (not gonna bother re-reading that to see if it makes sense)

People don't expect that i enjoy drawing and singing, the thing they expect the least out of me seems to be my love for reading and writing. I sat at university with my iPad drawing one day and people seemed to be rather surprised that i draw, they were even more shocked when i showed them the draft of the first few chapters of the book i'm slowly writing.

A lot of people think of me as a lazy gamer/nerd but then they see me run at events up 400 meter sprints. Pretty good feeling to know that you're lazy but fastest sprinter in your school :)

• Brohoof 1