Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the writers know about the outrage sparked from Princess Twilicorn?

Commander_PonyShep

The writers and Princess Twilicorn  

67 users have voted

1. 1. Do the writers know about the outrage sparked from Princess Twilicorn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. If so, how can they compensate?

• Change Twilight back to a unicorn
    • Keep the change, but make sure Twilight's still the same Twilight
    • Other (specify)

And if so, how the hell can they compensate for this in the S4 premiere?

I mean, every time you make a change to a beloved franchise, you're bound to divide the audience and turn them against each other over whether the changes are good or not. Perhaps the most broken fanbase right now is the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase; ever since the Dreamcast died and Sega made many bad decisions with their mascot, the fans started to become more and more unpleasable. They wanted Sonic to run fast, have no friends at all, and go back to the 2D realm. Well, they got what they wanted with Sonic 4 Episodes I and II... and unfortunately, they were crappy, pale imitations of the first five 2D Sonic games for the Genesis and Sega CD.

And now, the MLP fanbase have become divided over Princess Twilicorn. With regard to myself, I'm always going to be Anti-Twilicorn until the end, no matter how much others persuade me otherwise. But I have to wonder, how can the writers placate their audience for the S4 premiere, regarding Princess Twilicorn, if they can't just remove her wings and royal status so that she could be in Ponyville with her friends again?

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Change Twilight back to a unicorn

There's always fan fiction/parallel universe for that, but it would be nice to see in the show itself where it shows in a parallel universe that Twilight turned back into a unicorn, thus losing her immortality.

Possibly this is the reason for the outrage.  That Twilight Sparkle might be immortal and slowly watch all her friends and family die from old age.

Not to mention the lack of choice she had in the parallel universe the show is based in.

In another parallel universe/fan fiction she might of had choice and thus rejected becoming an Alicorn, due to gaining the curse that is immortality.

Sudden changes lead to fears of change of setting, which scare people.

This will happen if Twilight Sparkle can't make her friends immortal too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCW7N2NGiM

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 4

No matter what you cant please everybody. Like in the WWE fandom, Some moments please the Female and children side of the fandom, and other moments please the adult side of the fandom. Even if she returns to Normal The Pro twilicorb will shitstorm about iyn

The writers are well aware that there was some backlash with the whole Princess Twilight Sparkle situation. Hasbro is equally aware of the situation (whether it's because they lurk our forums or have read the many angry emails that were most likely sent in).

However, writing and developing episodes takes time. Magical Mystery Cure was written in November 2011, despite airing in February 2013! That's more than a year's development time from conceptualization to completion. That being said, unless the writers planned on changing her back from the very start, nothing will change until very late Season 4 or even Season 5.

Just keep calm and flutter on, dude. You've been posting alot of these threads worrying about how they'll handle it, but chances are, it's already out of their hands and in the final stretch of the development process.

• Brohoof 4

No matter what you cant please everybody. Like in the WWE fandom, Some moments please the Female and children side of the fandom, and other moments please the adult side of the fandom. Even if she returns to Normal The Pro twilicorb will shitstorm about iyn

Well, us Anti-Twilicorns had to learn to put up with Princess Twilicorn. Why can't the Pro-Twilicorns learn to put up with Twilight going back into a unicorn?

The writers are well aware that there was some backlash with the whole Princess Twilight Sparkle situation. Hasbro is equally aware of the situation (whether it's because they lurk our forums or have read the many angry emails that were most likely sent in).

However, writing and developing episodes takes time. Magical Mystery Cure was written in November 2011, despite airing in February 2013! That's more than a year's development time from conceptualization to completion. That being said, unless the writers planned on changing her back from the very start, nothing will change until very late Season 4 or even Season 5.

Just keep calm and flutter on, dude. You've been posting alot of these threads worrying about how they'll handle it, but chances are, it's already out of their hands and in the final stretch of the development process.

And you know what? I'm sick and tired of all the Pro-Twilicorns accepting Princess Twilight when they shouldn't!

I went on the message boards hoping to find as many Anti-Twilicorns out there, hoping that they would all protest against Hasbro to change Twilight back, the same way we had millions of "Retake Mass Effect" movements regarding Mass Effect 3's endings. But no, it's nothing but Pro-Twilicorns pissing off Anti-Twilicorns like myself as we have to put up with a change that might destroy the show! It's as if the Pro-Twilicorns want the show to be ruined forever, like they don't care and they hate the show now!

• Brohoof 2

They know what they did and how it effected people.

They can do anything they want, this is their franchise. If you're not satisfied well then that's too bad. :c

I like the idea for Twi, I just hope S4 does something right with this idea.

Because that episode was confusing. X_x

• Brohoof 1

Well, us Anti-Twilicorns had to learn to put up with Princess Twilicorn. Why can't the Pro-Twilicorns learn to put up with Twilight going back into a unicorn?

You are a prove they did not. You are always making threads about this. You only post in twilicorn related threads.

Besides why should they put up with it if you dint put up with with twilicorn to atleast the season 4 opening

Considering M.A Larson has posted lots of sarcastic tweets like 'I went to the laundromat and the guy at the counter turned into an Alicorn. WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING!?', I think it's safe to say they know.

• Brohoof 9

You are a prove they did not. You are always making threads about this. You only post in twilicorn related threads.

Besides why should they put up with it if you dint put up with with twilicorn to atleast the season 4 opening

Mass Effect 3's ending was corrected because the fans complained long and hard enough for it to be corrected. That means the writers are probably taking that criticism to heart like BioWare did with Mass Effect 3's ending, and are correcting it by means of returning Twilight back into a unicorn.

If they don't correct it, I won't leave the fandom, but I will send angry emails to the writers, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn. Who knows? I might even form a "Retake Twilight Sparkle" petition on Facebook! This is a democracy we're living in! That means us fans have as much of a right to say what goes in or out of a product as the original producers, like with Mass Effect 3's ending and Princess Twilicorn!

• Brohoof 1

Mass Effect 3's ending was corrected because the fans complained long and hard enough for it to be corrected. That means the writers are probably taking that criticism to heart like BioWare did with Mass Effect 3's ending, and are correcting it by means of returning Twilight back into a unicorn.If they don't correct it, I won't leave the fandom, but I will send angry emails to the writers, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn. Who knows? I might even form a "Retake Twilight Sparkle" petition on Facebook! This is a democracy we're living in! That means us fans have as much of a right to say what goes in or out of a product as the original producers, like with Mass Effect 3's ending and Princess Twilicorn!

Okay listen. You dont get what I am saying. I am saying the fact that theres more Pro twilicorns that anti is what Hasbro really cares about. Mass Effect three sucked I agree with that, however most of the fans hated it, Twilicorn on the other hand gets equally hated and loved. If thats a great reason to cancel something Vince would have fired John cena a long time ago.

Send angry letters, you think Hasbro would take that letter for the entire MLP fandom?

And you know what? I'm sick and tired of all the Pro-Twilicorns accepting Princess Twilight when they shouldn't!

I went on the message boards hoping to find as many Anti-Twilicorns out there, hoping that they would all protest against Hasbro to change Twilight back, the same way we had millions of "Retake Mass Effect" movements regarding Mass Effect 3's endings. But no, it's nothing but Pro-Twilicorns pissing off Anti-Twilicorns like myself as we have to put up with a change that might destroy the show! It's as if the Pro-Twilicorns want the show to be ruined forever, like they don't care and they hate the show now!

Now, I think that's hardly the way to approach it. We've only seen about 3 minutes of Princess Twilight in the show in total (possibly even less), so condemning her already is a little harsh. While I personally don't see the point in Princess Twilight, as I don't see what they could do with her now that they couldn't before, I'm sure that even if they kept her around, they can make it work.

Surely you didn't condemn the show before watching it just because it had about of cute, colorful ponies running around, why should you treat Princess Twilight any different?

I think we should all (everyone, pro-twilicorn or anti-twilicorn) wait and see what they do with her in the Season 4 opener (which is confirmed to tie into Magical Mystery Cure directly) before we judge the change on anything more than an aesthetical level, as her appearance is the only thing we've seen enough of to accurately judge.

I personally don't like that fact that she's taller now, it just looks...off. My head-canon says that even if they were humanized, Twilight would be one of the shortest of the Mane 6, second only to Rainbow Dash. Hell, even Applejack calls her a "little pony" in Winter Wrap Up, though she could';ve meant it in terms of muscle mass.

• Brohoof 2

People need to get over Twilicorn business and stop demanding that they change her back. If they decide to do that as part of their storyline that's fine but she'd also be turning her back on her own destiny which is the point of that whole finale; that we all have a destiny, there is a road we walk that LEADS to a destination. Change happens, sometimes your friends get promoted and you don't. Sometimes friends move away. Just because there is a significant change after 3 seasons doesn't mean the show is coming to an end or you have to reverse it at the beginning of season. Let Twi be who the writers want her to be and try to enjoy the ride.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really think the writers noticed, if they did they would have known how many bronies went crazy about Princess Twilicorn. I say we let Trixie return (if she will), and join the Mane 6.

But the outrage from the start didn't affect me but, it really got annoying really fast. People think they should just change Twilight back to a unicorn, then it would be a waste of time if she is a alicorn now. But change her personality back to the way it was.

• Brohoof 1

because changing her back would be the stupidest decision  anyone could ever make how about this rarther then going on and on and on about Twilight being an alicorn. I would "put up" with her being changed back... but its not going to happen how about we just wait and see what happens in season 4 because I bet its going to be awesome.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, they know about the fan reaction to Alicorn Twilight all right.  They wouldn't have apologized profusely if they hadn't.  Really, I feel sorry for the writers - Hasbro has a habit of putting them on the spot time and again, but they continue to handle it with grace.

I thought I was going to be upset about Alicorn Twilight, but I'm not.  Now that I think about it, it could be used to explore some interesting aspects of the universe.  I think they'll turn her back into a Unicorn or something similar, but honestly, I'd be fine either way.  Live and let live, as they say.

You know what Im sick and tired of people telling me what I should and should not like Twilight is an alicorn everyone knew it was going to happen since before season 4 even started mabey you could just try and give it a chance shes had 3 minuets of screen time and that is apparently enough for everyone to suddenly hate her. Her personality isnt going to change and shes still going to live in Ponyville the only real change is she has wings now..... thats it.

(edited)

because changing her back would be the stupidest decision  anyone could ever make how about this rarther then going on and on and on about Twilight being an alicorn. I would "put up" with her being changed back... but its not going to happen how about we just wait and see what happens in season 4 because I bet its going to be awesome.

Well, good news: So was turning Twilight into a fucking alicorn. She was an equal to her friends, and now they're making her far, far superior to them, almost as if she no longer needs them! It's like Dragon Ball Z, where you have so many companion characters from the first Dragon Ball, but they all get disposed of and replaced by Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, and Trunks, just because those four are either saiyans or half-saiyans, but not the rest of the cast.

Hell, I even had that same problem with Bleach, during the Soul Society arc. I thought Ichigo, Chad, Orihime, and Uryu would be an awesome team when saving Rukia. But no, Ichigo's friends had to be left in the dust to do nothing, while Ichigo and the soul reaper captains take over the huge majority of the spotlight!

Again, if you're going to give the hero a group of companions, make those companions equal to the hero, if not superior to him! Normally, it's as much the companions' journey as it is the hero leading them, and if you turn the hero, and only the hero into a walking Deus Ex Machina like the writers did with Twilight, you're deeming the companion characters utterly useless and might as well not exist in the first place! They'll be left in the shadows to get no glory or thanks, while the hero acts like a selfish prick and steals it all for himself, when he should share it with his companions.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Well, good news: So was turning Twilight into a fucking alicorn. She was an equal to her friends, and now they're making her far, far superior to them, almost as if she no longer needs them! It's like Dragon Ball Z, where you have so many companion characters from the first Dragon Ball, but they all get disposed of and replaced by Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, and Trunks, just because those four are either saiyans or half-saiyans, but not the rest of the cast.

Hell, I even had that same problem with Bleach, during the Soul Society arc. I thought Ichigo, Chad, Orihime, and Uryu would be an awesome team when saving Rukia. But no, Ichigo's friends had to be left in the dust to do nothing, while Ichigo and the soul reaper captains take over the huge majority of the spotlight!

Again, if you're going to give the hero a group of companions, make those companions equal to the hero, if not superior to him! Normally, it's as much the companions' journey as it is the hero leading them, and if you turn the hero, and only the hero into a walking Deus Ex Machina like the writers did with Twilight, you're deeming the companion characters utterly useless and might as well not exist in the first place! They'll be left in the shadows to get no glory or thanks, while the hero acts like a selfish prick and steals it all for himself, when he should share it with his companions.

I will say it again 3 minuets of screen time and we have no idea what is going to happen in season 4 we dont know if Twilight even has more power then before as far as we know the only thing that happened is she grew wings. So how is that enough for you to assume shes now more powerful then everypony else.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

First off, NEVER say never. This is a loving community, nobody is "Outraged", or at least not anymore. The writers know that not everyone likes Alicorn Twilight. People have gotten the fuck over it. It's a goddamn show. Have an open mind. That's what got you to watch the show, right?

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I'm pretty sure the writers know. They probably even knew how we knew about the rumors on Twilicorn. Hasbro on the other hand is probably too busy counting their money on their yacht to care.

And how can they compensate? They can't that's it. The damage is done.

Edited by poniesforfun

Mass Effect 3's ending was corrected because the fans complained long and hard enough for it to be corrected. That means the writers are probably taking that criticism to heart like BioWare did with Mass Effect 3's ending, and are correcting it by means of returning Twilight back into a unicorn.

If they don't correct it, I won't leave the fandom, but I will send angry emails to the writers, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn. Who knows? I might even form a "Retake Twilight Sparkle" petition on Facebook! This is a democracy we're living in! That means us fans have as much of a right to say what goes in or out of a product as the original producers, like with Mass Effect 3's ending and Princess Twilicorn!

Errrr. Sorta, but not really. Fans of a saleable product only have say if their reaction changes enough buying habits to significantly alter the profit margin of the selling entity. And Hasbro is selling toys.

Hasbro is not ignoring the Bronies. They are licensing their IP out to several companies who are producing Brony-specific merchandise. The Doctor Whooves vinyl figure for example (which is actually a risky item to make, given that the base MLP demographic will have no idea who this character is, and it blends IP with another company based in a different country). Given that Hasbro doesn't 'make' things themselves anymore (they made the transition to a licensing company years ago; they've only got two factories left, and they are slowly shutting both of them down)  that's pretty significant.

Hasbro has been inundated with people demanding they change their products recently due to their gender bias. Easy-Bake Ovens just recently gained a 'gender neutral' version, for example. Several other toys are getting the same treatment.

So, yes, fans can influence Hasbro. However... Hasbro doesn't care about the cartoon's story line. As far as they're concerned it's a 22-minute commercial for their actual products. Their original brief to Faust was apparently to make it without any story line at all so that the episodes could be shown in any order. The existence of any ongoing story at all is due to Faust and the other writers, not Hasbro. The Hasbro 'alicorn' directive was likely a simple 'make this happen at least once in the show so we can sell a new alicorn model', the same way the butterfly wings on Rarity was. 

Studio B (or whatever they're called right now) are the ones to decide if this is 'permanent' or not, and indications are that they've learned to not take the Bronies seriously when the fandom goes into whiney ragequit mode.

Can't answer poll,  it implies that there is actually an outrage.  

I think a better question to ask is "How many people are still flankmad that one of the characters grew an extra pair of limbs"

really, we know nothing of how the shows dynamic will chage,  at all.    Just because she's a princess, doesn't mean she is the equal of Celestia now.  She's the same pony + wings.  Get.....over....it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Everyone on the team, from the writers to the voice actors themselves, know about the mixed reaction of the Twilicorn. Larson did so on Twitter, and McCarthy did the same in interviews and Q&As.

But how it can be compensated is something else. Having Twilight be the same character with merely wings will quickly age Magical Mystery Cure and make what was supposed to be the series finale look like a twenty-minute commercial for the toy. On the other hand, reverting Twilight willy-nilly back into a unicorn will accomplish the same thing. It's a fine line to tread in both directions, and the writers have to show this in at least the season four premiere as McCarthy claimed.

If Twilight remains an alicorn, she must show that her change is worth it physically, psychologically, and emotionally. She has to demonstrate genuine growth as a character unlike what we've seen in the previous three seasons. Not accomplishing this is a sign of lazy writing. On the other hand, if she becomes a unicorn again, the same logic applies. The logic and sense within the canon must match Twilight's characterization, thought process, and overall realistic logic. A throwaway reason or line demonstrates the same scale of poor writing. That fine line must be carefully written for the Twilicorn to be worth it canonically, whether it's temporary or permanent.

Keep her in character, but not to the point of her transformation being useless.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2