Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the writers know about the outrage sparked from Princess Twilicorn?

Commander_PonyShep

The writers and Princess Twilicorn  

67 users have voted

1. 1. Do the writers know about the outrage sparked from Princess Twilicorn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. If so, how can they compensate?

• Change Twilight back to a unicorn
    • Keep the change, but make sure Twilight's still the same Twilight
    • Other (specify)

Of course they do, there were event hints about this in the season finale the most obvious one being Twilight saying "everything is going to be fine" at the end of the episode. The writers love us they really do but they are in a very precarious situation they had to do what Hasbro said by throwing in alicorn Twilight in the season finale at the last second with very little time to properly introduce this significant change. Now they are going to have to really backtrack and play some creative gymnastics to make this abrupt change actually make sense.

I'm pretty sure they know. They'd have to have their head in the sand not to.

Dude, you really need to chill out.  I agree with you on the subject of Twilicorn, but can you at least calm down and wait and see before getting so emotional about it?  Much as I'm concerned about the issue, I know that my opinion is not the only valid one on it out there.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with Hawkflame, chill out. You started off with an outrage and rant on Twilicorn, then you seemingly apologized for it, then you made several topics on Twilicorn, now you seem to be going back to being outraged. Seems a little bi-polar to me. Stop making topics on Twilicorn, push it aside for now, wait for season 4. You are being too emotional about something that we just don't really know about. You are trying to make the pro-Twilicorns sound like the bad guys at times it seems. What happened to being open minded? Did you throw that out? Is that not what got you into MLP in the first place? Being open minded?

Everyone has their opinion, but it's best to not be so outraged and emotional about your opinion. It doesn't look good if one is always getting angry at the other for difference in opinion. Read and understand what everyone is saying, there are varying views, but most are willing to wait till season 4. Even if they are anti-Twilicorn.

Just chill, relax, push this Twilicorn business aside, stop making topics on it, and wait for season 4.

• Brohoof 1

This will happen if Twilight Sparkle can't make her friends immortal too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCW7N2NGiM

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did you show that to us!? 

It's so sad and I can't get it out of my head :(

In other news, I think twilight being overpowered could lead to some valuable lessons, such as treating everyone as your equal, no matter what status in government you have, no matter how rich or strong you are, etc.

(edited)

Mass Effect 3's ending was corrected because the fans complained long and hard enough for it to be corrected. That means the writers are probably taking that criticism to heart liked with Mass Effect 3's ending, and are correcting it by means of returning Twilight back into a unicorn.If they don't correct it, I won't leave the fandom, but I will send angry emails to the writers, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn. Who knows? I might even form a "Retake Twilight Sparkle" petition on Facebook! This is a democracy we're living in! That means us fans have as much of a right to say what goes in or out of a product as the original producers, like with Mass Effect 3's ending and Princess Twilicorn!

We have some serious entitlement issues in this random. Honestly, why do you honestly think that Hasbro is obligated to bend to our every whimsy? Also, STOP CALLING HER TWILICORN. Her name is Twilight. If you want to respect the title, Princess Twilight. She still has her regular name, stop acting like she's turned into a mutant horse. Edited by Michael Maddox-France
  • Brohoof 1

We have some serious entitlement issues in this random. Honestly, why do you honestly think that Hasbro is obligated to bend to our every whimsy? Also, WTOP CALLING HER TWILICORN. Her name is Twilight. Video you want to respect the title, Princess Twilight. She still has her regular name, stop acting like she's turned into a mutant horse.

When people mention "Twilicorn" They're not referring to Twilight per se as much as they're referring to "the concept of Twilight being an Alicorn".  And writing "Twilicorn" is just much easier shorthand than saying all of that.

• Brohoof 1

When people mention "Twilicorn" They're not referring to Twilight per se as much as they're referring to "the concept of Twilight being an Alicorn".  And writing "Twilicorn" is just much easier shorthand than saying all of that.

Hmm. I understand that. Consider the second argument of my post redacted. Still...I can't see why there is so much hatred for this development with Twilight. If it turns out that her royal duties do in fact take her awayfrom. her friends, I think we all can agree that it'd be an important lesson to learn, especially if it requires a change 'f address. Also, while the immortality aspect of the mare's ascension, if it really does exist, would bring about the sadness of seeing her friends pass, it would also bring her and Celestia closer with that common knowledge and mutual pain.

Ok, first of all I hope they dont change her back to a unicorn. That would ruin the whole episode. And Celestia said (or sang) "Its time to fufill your destiny" Dosent that mean that thats her destiny and getting rid of it would make changing into an alicorn pointless?
I just hope they keep twilight the same old twilight. And the writers have to know, I mean, they use the internet right?

• Brohoof 1

Another one of these??? Guys, it was OBVIOUS. If you look at the previous seasons, you will see that Celestia is preparing her for what a princess will have to do. You know, like save Equestria 3 times and save an entire empire (with help of course) Personally, I don't see why this is such an issue. She became an Alicorn, and from what we know from the show, is that ALL PRINCESSES ARE ALICORNS. Get over it. 

(edited)

For Celestia's sake, do you realize how many threads you've posted for the sole purpose of complaining about this? Calm down, man. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

Another one of these??? Guys, it was OBVIOUS. If you look at the previous seasons, you will see that Celestia is preparing her for what a princess will have to do. You know, like save Equestria 3 times and save an entire empire (with help of course) Personally, I don't see why this is such an issue. She became an Alicorn, and from what we know from the show, is that ALL PRINCESSES ARE ALICORNS. Get over it.

Ok, first of all I hope they dont change her back to a unicorn. That would ruin the whole episode. And Celestia said (or sang) "Its time to fufill your destiny" Dosent that mean that thats her destiny and getting rid of it would make changing into an alicorn pointless?

I just hope they keep twilight the same old twilight. And the writers have to know, I mean, they use the internet right?

Then how the Hell do her friends fit into this? Were they just tools, to be used and disposed of by Celestia, once Twilight attains royalty? This was as much their journey as it was hers, and the writers are implying that it wasn't. Again, it's like DBZ and Bleach, where the main-protagonist becomes an overpowered Deus Ex Machina, while the huge majority of the supporting cast just gets disposed of like garbage.

To be quite honest, I seriously think that the word "Outrage" should be replaced with the phrase "Childish temper tantrums". As a fan of the show, the reaction of other allegedly adult fans over a cartoon character having wings is getting downright embarrassing.  

• Brohoof 4

Then how the Hell do her friends fit into this? Were they just tools, to be used and disposed of by Celestia, once Twilight attains royalty? This was as much their journey as it was hers, and the writers are implying that it wasn't. Again, it's like DBZ and Bleach, where the main-protagonist becomes an overpowered Deus Ex Machina, while the huge majority of the supporting cast just gets disposed of like garbage.

Yes because a show about the Magic of Friendship is going to have the main character ditch the friends that she has loved since she met them. The show isn't going to take that turn for a few reasons. 

1) It goes against the shows message about how much friendship means.

2) It's against Twilight's character to ditch her friends. 

3) For the simplest reason is that they make money off of the show. If they were to make it so her friends suddenly disappeared, then the show would lose 99% of the brony fandom, and the show would be basically dead. 

The writers aren't stupid. They handled Twilight becoming an Alicorn rather well and they aren't going to make her lose her friends, simple as that.

In truth i do not mind the whole change in Twilight

and it could take the show in some twist and turns

for plot and such which we all love to see,  I just hope

they keep her,  well herself.   Yes Twilight will

change a bit as a Princess and grow

in different ways just keep those core pillars of

who she is we all love.

Mass Effect 3's ending was corrected because the fans complained long and hard enough for it to be corrected. That means the writers are probably taking that criticism to heart like BioWare did with Mass Effect 3's ending, and are correcting it by means of returning Twilight back into a unicorn.If they don't correct it, I won't leave the fandom, but I will send angry emails to the writers, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn. Who knows? I might even form a "Retake Twilight Sparkle" petition on Facebook! This is a democracy we're living in! That means us fans have as much of a right to say what goes in or out of a product as the original producers, like with Mass Effect 3's ending and Princess Twilicorn!

Ok as a ME fan I have to weigh in here. The 'Retake Mass Effect' movement was fan self entitlement. The stupid thing is the movement failed miserably. They think they succeeded because of the extended cut, but all that did was actually show what was already implied but people were too lazy or blinded by self entitled rage to actually see.

Also ME3 was the end of the Commander Shepard story arc so making a movement requesting a clarification of the ending at least made some sort of sense. But doing one about Twicorn doesn't work because its not the end of the story arc, the writers themselves have even said that the season 3 finale was part 1 of a 3 part episode, the last two being the premier of season 4. My point being is that for all you or I know, she could give it all up and go back to standard Twilight or perhaps she'll learn the current limitations of her powers... Anything could happen.

I'm neither pro nor anti Twicorn simply because of the chance at anything can happen I've seen shows do stuff like this and really pulls neat trick out of the bag. At least let them fail before berating them for failing.

Just want to say that this isn't meant to have a go at you or anything.

• Brohoof 1

The immortals in Highlander can live for thousands of years, and are some of the strongest warriors on the planet, yet, even with what they are and how much you would think that would alienate them, many have have normal humans as friends, adopted children, or even lovers. Even the 5,000 year old Methos fell in love with a woman, and forged a friendship with Duncan, who is about 4600 years his Junior. 

What you are biological and physically doesn't matter, because deep down in your heart and soul, your still the same as any other human(or pony, in this case).

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure the writers know. They probably even knew how we knew about the rumors on Twilicorn. Hasbro on the other hand is probably too busy counting their money on their yacht to care.

And how can they compensate? They can't that's it. The damage is done.

yeah wondering what they're doing on that yacht with that money...

twidash__gangnam_style__done__by_rei_moo

yeah something like that

I wasn't outraged...Celestia got a song!

• Brohoof 1

I think there's a really big point being overlooked. The PRIMARY AUDIENCE. I'm sure the writers have heard how upset "bronies" are about Twilicorn, but I'm sure they also haven't received any angry fan mail from little girls. I don't think they need to compensate at all for it. They'll probably use it to create some stories, but they won't change who the Mane 6 is and they're definitely not going to turn her back to a unicorn. 

• Brohoof 2

Yeah I am sure they know about this whole ordeal and rage. Quite frankly I would be laughing at the fandom if I were them about whining and complaining so much over something as little as something as this. This is still just a cartoon show don't let it go over your head!

• Brohoof 2

Lest we forget the start of this whole problem, Lauren Faust leaving. But i shouldnt blame her for this. Alicorns are practicaly immortal. If a regular pony, unicorn, or pegasus became old at 50, an alicorn would become old at 500. (just to give you an idea). Plus, with her new royal duties, she may become self centered. Ever wonder what haopened to Celestia's friends when she became THE princess? im so afraid of what will happen now. it cant be good. 2 earth, 2pegasus, only one unicorn? we have to wait and see what comes next. I hope the writers realize their mistake and make an eoisode where twilight becomes a self centered narcissist and abandons her friends, then realizes whay she did and turn back into a unicorn. maybe...

• Brohoof 1

Again, if you're going to give the hero a group of companions, make those companions equal to the hero, if not superior to him! Normally, it's as much the companions' journey as it is the hero leading them, and if you turn the hero, and only the hero into a walking Deus Ex Machina like the writers did with Twilight, you're deeming the companion characters utterly useless and might as well not exist in the first place! They'll be left in the shadows to get no glory or thanks, while the hero acts like a selfish prick and steals it all for himself, when he should share it with his companions.

Make the companions equal to the hero? When did you ever see that? Let's use "Doctor Who" as an example. The show would be downright boring if all the characters were the Doctor's equal! How about jumping farther back. What about the movie "Jason and the Argonauts" It wasn't titled "The Argonauts Save the Day" How about "Clash of the Titans"?  (Original, I liked it better) Were all the supporting characters equal to Perseus?

You also don't seem to quite know what Deus Ex Machina means. The crisis had already past and everything was back to normal when Celestia informed Twilight of her ascending. She became an Alicorn BECAUSE her magic finally grew powerful enough. It would have been a case of  Deus Ex Machina if her ascending was needed to MAKE her magic powerful enough to solve the crisis. Twilight's solving of the crisis , brought her to the point the writes had been working on since the middle of season two. It was possibly even from season one. In her Rainboom flashback, Twilight told of how Celestia took her under wing, because she pretty much exhibited the POWERS OF A GOD!

In Greek plays, Deus Ex Machina literally was when an actor playing a God was lowered down on a rope over the stage. The God then reset everything and put all the plot loose ends together. Twilight becoming a Princess doesn't fit that.

One last thing. Do you even realize that you're raging over a...CARTOON?

Make the companions equal to the hero? When did you ever see that? Let's use "Doctor Who" as an example. The show would be downright boring if all the characters were the Doctor's equal! How about jumping farther back. What about the movie "Jason and the Argonauts" It wasn't titled "The Argonauts Save the Day" How about "Clash of the Titans"?  (Original, I liked it better) Were all the supporting characters equal to Perseus?

I think that there's a good case for making the companionsat least close in power to the hero, because it helps prevent one character from dominating the show. 

A good example is my favorite anime/manga, Fullmetal Alchemist.  There, the main character Edward Elric is highly skilled, even a prodigy, but he's *not* the best fighter or best alchemist among his comrades.  In fact, I'm not even sure he's in the top five in either category.  This allows the writer to really develop the other characters and give them their moment to shine. 

I think there's something to this idea.  While I don't think it's a good idea to make all of them alicorns, some kind of status upgrade (like, say, Dash officially becoming a Wonderbolt)  may not be a bad way to go about it.

*shakes head* Yet another thread where people just ASSUME that Twilight's ascension to Alicornhood necessarily means she'll stop developing as a character, she'll leave her friends behind, and the universe will be forever changed for the worse.

Seriously, you "Anti-Twilicorn" folks wonder why the "Pro-Twilicorns" keep trying to get you to change your opinions?  Because you're so wrapped up in your black-and-white view of the world that you consistently refuse to see any possible alternative!

I'll ask this again: When your best friend graduates and goes off to college, or gets the job of a lifetime and has to move away to take it, how do you react?  Are you happy for them?  Or are you going to sit there and be bitter about their success and wish you'd never met them or secretly hope they fail so they'll come back to you again?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't agree with the argument that now Twilight's going to outlive her friends. I'd like to point out that it appears that Princess Cadence ages at the same rate as other ponies around her, specifically Shining Armor. You can tell that she aged normally between the flashbacks and real-time clips. I don't think being an alicorn automatically means you're immortal. People seem to overlook the fact that Princess Cadence and Princess Luna are very much ethereal. Their manes are much different in appearance to that of Princess Cadence's and Twilight Sparkle's. Just something I'd like to throw out there.

Edited by DashForever
Replying to Hidden Content
  • Brohoof 2

*shakes head* Yet another thread where people just ASSUME that Twilight's ascension to Alicornhood necessarily means she'll stop developing as a character, she'll leave her friends behind, and the universe will be forever changed for the worse.

Seriously, you "Anti-Twilicorn" folks wonder why the "Pro-Twilicorns" keep trying to get you to change your opinions?  Because you're so wrapped up in your black-and-white view of the world that you consistently refuse to see any possible alternative!

I'll ask this again: When your best friend graduates and goes off to college, or gets the job of a lifetime and has to move away to take it, how do you react?  Are you happy for them?  Or are you going to sit there and be bitter about their success and wish you'd never met them or secretly hope they fail so they'll come back to you again?

Your analogy fails because Twilight Sparkle is a fictional character, and real life isn't scripted. Real life isn't dictated by story opportunities, there isn't a beginning, middle and end (well, there is, but.. you know what I mean.) Life has no pre planned story arc. Twilight Sparkle has a pre planned story arc, and I think they botched it by not leaving its resolution to the end of the show.

You say that you try to change our opinions because of our black and white worldview on the subject, but what I think makes Anti-Twilicorners dig our heels in is "Pro-Twilicorners" inability to acknowledge what I feel are legitimate points of concern (and I'm not talking about silly ideas like how Twilight's going to actually leave her friends or anything like that). But at the same time I don't see how it's anyone's business to change anyone else's opinion, so...

These days I think I'm more relaxed about the whole issue than I was a month ago. Maybe I;m getting more used to the idea, but it just doesn't piss me off nearly as much as it used to. I'd start feeling more comfortable with it, but then I see someone say something in a thread, with people dismissing any issues we have with the development, and I just dig my heels in again.

So I propose three options, for *both* sides:

1) Stop talking about the subject altogether (Not gonna happen, and I doubt a mod would change the rules to ban this topic)

2) Stop trying to change each other's opinions (also not going to happen, this is the inevitable development when you have diverging opinions on an internet forum anyway)

3) Really look into and respect each other's arguments. Don't dismiss someone as being babyish, or their opinion is stupid or silly, and don't be so set in your ways that you refuse to acknowledge the validity of the other perspective. Come at things from the angle that the other side may have a good point to make. Don't get overly emotional about your opinion, and don't antagonize someone if they do.

Again, I;m not talking about one side or the other here, I'm talking about everyone. This is an approach I try to take (not just with this issue, but with arguments in general) and I think it's worked out well for me so far.