Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Spider-Man the Movie

Scootalove

As everypony knows or some may not know, May 3rd will mark the day that 11 years ago on that day, that Spider-Man the Movie was released to the public. With Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, but since they now replaced him with Andrew Garfield. I ask you, what did you like about the first Spider-Man movie?

MOV_30d32e18_b.jpg

What I like about the first Spiderman Movie is that it is EXTREMELY nostalgic. It was a nice comic adaptation, even though it did not follow the comics at all. It was also extremely silly and over the top, which made it a golden archive in my mind.

The first Spider man was a pretty decent comic adaption.  The acting was shaky at parts, but whatever.  The movie was great, and I could believe Toby as Peter.

The first Spiderman movie is a lot more campy than a lot of people would like to admit, though it was still a very good comic adaptation. It was by no means a fantastic movie, but it was fun to watch. 

I liked the new movie as well. I think that Andrew Garfield made a much better Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire.

I never knew why I never cared for the first Spider-Man movie as much, and it's because of how campy it is.  It tries to take itself fairly seriously, but I just can't take Willem Dafoe in a Power Rangers helmet seriously.  The movie's alright at best, but to me, it's just not very good.  Spider-Man 2 was better, Spider-Man 3 was laughable but somehow more enjoyable than the first one.

For me, the best is Amazing Spider-Man.  I thought they knocked it out of the park.

I think it's hard to compare Tobey and Andrew Garfield's portrayals of Spiderman because they're sorta from different universes(Tobey's probably being from the original universe and Andrew's based on the Ultimate Spiderman). I haven't seen the reboot so I don't have an opinion on it, but I did enjoy the the first movie, though I think the second one was the best. I also loved Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker as well, though I wasn't a fan of the whole "every villain dies at the end" with every movie. And believe it or not, I actually did enjoy Spiderman 3, despite it's bullshit(such as raping my favorite Spiderman villain, Venom)

I enjoyed Spider-Man 3 as well.  It was a lot of fun, even though it's a terrible movie overall.

Garfield did a good job as Parker, but as was pointed out, his Parker and Maguire's are really different.  My problem with Tobey Maguire's Parker is that he's just too winy.  Spider-Man is supposed to be witty and funny, if only as a defense-mechanism for him being a scared high schooler fighting for his life.  Garfield used that iconic Spider-Man wit and charm, without being over the top or anything.

The BEST thing about the first Spider-Man movie (and it's a pretty darn solid flick) is the effect it had on the industry. Without the massive success of Spider-Man, we probably wouldn't have gotten anything like Marvel's Avengers project. And Batman and Superman were both shut down at that time... who knows how much longer they would have stayed that way had Spider-Man/X-Men not opened the floodgates?

Spider-Man was my first major superhero cinematic experience, and as such will always hold a special place in my heart. In hindsight, it has only gotten better, as I've seen just how faithful Sam Raimi was to the spirit and tone of the silver age material. The only thing about it that hasn't aged well is some of the CGI they used, and the Goblin's costume.

Since people have brought up the new one... might as well weigh in on that, too. Hated it. Tried to like it. Couldn't. Spider-Man has been my favorite superhero for years, but that was not Spider-Man. Most of my reaction was due to Garfield. His Peter Parker made me... irritated, to put it gently. The Raimi movie got so many little things right, and I was dumbstruck to see the new one get so many of those same things wrong.

I liked the movie quite a bit.  I didn't find it campy and silly, though of course I was young.  I still enjoy it.  I loved Spider-Man 2 when it came out, but for some reason don't love it now.

Spider-Man 3 is one of my top ten movies of all time.  No joke.  I loved the action, I loved emo Peter, and I loved the jazz club scene.

• 8 years later...

The Sam Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy is my favorite trilogy of all time (And yes that includes the third film which I love). I grew up with those films, rewatched them so many times, had the toys, etc (I actually still have a Spider-Man 3 themed pillowcase). Talking about the first film specifically, it does such a great job at telling that classic origin story. And the way Raimi directed the film with his unique camera tricks and humor just tells you how excited he was when making the film. Tobey Maguire will always be the definitive live action Peter Parker/Spider-Man to me (Though Andrew Garfield was a great one as well) and absolutely no one will be able to top Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin ("OUT, AM I !?").

And just listen to Danny Elfman's theme.