Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

No roommate law

TheBronyHeart

(edited)

/)_-

Very recently, the council of the city of watertown passed a local law banning the act of having someone live in the same household as you unless they are legally related.

This law is completely ridiculous and has been having severe opposition. People all over the nation are hearing about this law and watertown is gaining infamy.

Game show host Drew Carey made a tweet regarding the law. " Please welcome… the Deborah Cavallario "No Roommates Allowed" law from the dumb-asses in Watertown, NY: http://tweetwood.com...t.co/OLHQDJg44L "

I live about half an hour away from watertown, and this law affects many people I know.

What are your thoughts on this?

The law is likely to be repealed due to the opposition, and the mayor and counselors are discussing it.

The cause of this law was one woman who brought a complaint (practically screaming) to the counsel about a family that neighbors her who had someone living with them.

EDIT: working link from above. http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/02/28/ron-paul-banned-from-dc-roommates-banned

Edited by TheBronyHeart
  • Brohoof 2

The link is not working for me but assuming this is true, this law is obviously completely and utterly unconstitutional but hey over 90% of the laws passed these days especially on the federal level take a huge crap on the constitution so this is nothing new. I swear this is even more ridiculous than the ban on soda's over I forget how many ounces in The Peoples Republic of New York eerrrrr I mean New York City.

• Brohoof 2

694.png

America, wat u doin.

America.

STAHP.

Oh wait... no, it's just the politicians and a smallish number of VERY LOUD PEOPLE WHO BROKE THEIR CAPS LOCK IN REAL LIFE. Seriously, who thought this was an actual good idea? It reminds me of the fact that the Constitution explicitly states that the government can't force you to provide room and board to soldiers, kind of like a really petulant "Well if we can't do that then YOU can't quarter anyone in your house either. Nyea!" except the time for that was a few centuries ago and the place for it was Kindergarten.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, draconian much? Seriously, what the fuck is going on in this country?

Honestly, what politician in their right fucking minds thought this was a good idea? Seriously, WHO? Because that person is clearly so out of touch that they are unfit to hold public office.

• Brohoof 1

Their is also a financial problem involved. Most people in this area have a hard enough time paying rent/ mortgage. They usually have a roommate to lessen the burden of the amount of money needed to stay where you live.

Holy crap that is possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. This is why I'm leaving America the first chance I get.

I also live about and hour and half from Watertown so it's even more shocking. Where do you live Brony Heart?

• Brohoof 1

^^^^^^^^ Agreed. I mean seriously why would there be a ban on roommates? Its better to have people share rather than go into debt more than what they would have to be in especially when youre going to college. Who decides this kind of BS anyways?

Politicians who are paid for by property barons and people who makes money off renting property and living off the backs of the working class unjustifiably.

mlfw2431-MLP-Rarity-AYFKM.png

What is that point of this law!!

Okay I consider myself a reasonable person. But even I believe, No, I know that this, this is a horrible idea.

This is beyond stupid.

I mean what the hell. The reason roommates exist is so they can help each other pay for a home or apartment. Yes friendships can be made, but the real reason one takes a roommate is to help pay the rent. Don't lie.

Their is also a financial problem involved. Most people in this area have a hard enough time paying rent/ mortgage. They usually have a roommate to lessen the burden of the amount of money needed to stay where you live.

Another point. I there most of the people in the area depend on a roommate system then all they are doing is making things worse.

This law makes no sense at all. What is the benifit? Who benifits?

If they plan on collecting more money on tax because they want more individuals to pay, then they seriously need new people running the place.

Okay like I said I'm reasonable.

If they can make an argument as to how the hell this is in ANYWAY beneficial, then I will listen. This however doesn't mean I have to agree.

• Brohoof 1

Holy crap that is possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. This is why I'm leaving America the first chance I get.

I also live about and hour and half from Watertown so it's even more shocking. Where do you live Brony Heart?

Dexter, pillar point, county route 59.

Hmmm... glad to see yet another brony in Northern New York, there are quite a few now.

I too wish I could leave America. The country is falling apart.

• Brohoof 1

I wonder if this were to stick how it would affect marriages. Would more people divorce because they found that they cannot stand living together? Or, would more people stay together because they would find it too inconvenient/expensive to live on their own without a roommate?

And what is the age limitation? Can two people raise a child who isn't legally related to them?

I wonder if this were to stick how it would affect marriages. Would more people divorce because they found that they cannot stand living together? Or, would more people stay together because they would find it too inconvenient/expensive to live on their own without a roommate?

And what is the age limitation? Can two people raise a child who isn't legally related to them?

Adoption is considered related by law

. And what do you mean by age restrictions?

Regardless, the sheer outrage brought against this law IS going to get it overturned.

Adoption is considered related by law

. And what do you mean by age restrictions?

Regardless, the sheer outrage brought against this law IS going to get it overturned.

Well, I've personally known people that are taking care of minors who are not related whatsoever. For example, I was in a situation once where I was a minor living with my ex-stepmother and her new boyfriend because I didn't have any blood family to take care of me, therefore, I wasn't actually related to either of them or legally under either of their care. So, by age restriction, I guess I meant, are minors exempt from the law? Or in this case, according to this law, would all of these minors be turned over to government-aided living?

• Brohoof 1

Assuming that is all true the law makes no sense. What about when a couple want to live together but aren't married or even engaged? Or all those people at want to move out of their parents to gain some independence but can't afford to live alone? Are they supposed to find some willing cousin or something?

• Brohoof 1

Assuming that is all true the law makes no sense. What about when a couple want to live together but aren't married or even engaged? Or all those people at want to move out of their parents to gain some independence but can't afford to live alone? Are they supposed to find some willing cousin or something?

Seems like that might be part of the motivation behind the law as religious fundamentalists believe that people should only have sex and live together after marriage.