Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else not understand the appeal of watching sports?

~Master~ Button Mash

(edited)

One thing I could never understand is why people enjoy watching sports so much. I find watching sports to be ungodly boring, both on TV and in real life.

I mean, isn't the fun of athletics all in the rush of competition, self exertion, teamwork, and the joys of victory? Wouldn't people rather be doing that themselves, instead of simply watching other people play? I don't see the point in it.

Athletics seems like one of those things you need to be doing first hand to find the fun in it.

TL;DR - Sports are fun, watching them is not.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 26

I don't like sports in general. The whole concept is a bit time wasting in my opinion.

If it is the rush and stuff, then people like watching it because they feel that for their favorite team, or whatever.

• Brohoof 7

I feel you! I dislike sports greatly well mostly all sports not Marching i love marching band! But yes sports are quite boring and do not make much sense. I mean a bunch of sweaty men (or women) grappling over each other with no real purpose? BOOoooorIINNNGgggg

• Brohoof 2

I understand why people feel the way you do. A friend of mine compared professional sports to "modern day human tribalism". I just enjoy watching it. It does however get annoying to know that some people get paid ridiculous amounts of money to "play". Pro sports started tanking when people started playing for money instead of a love for the game. I don't deny that athletes don't have great physical ability and talent but the money changes the atmosphere a bit.

• Brohoof 3

It's a hobby. I personally find enjoyment in seeing the teams I like and the players I like succeeding and actually doing something. To me, it's a fun and intense thing to watch, especially with your friends around.

• Brohoof 1

I don't like sports in general. The whole concept is a bit time wasting in my opinion.

Ya because being physically fit and pushing your limits is a total waste of time.  Who want's do physical activities that prevent obesity and diabetes and make friends any way?  Brohoof dude.

• Brohoof 3

Ya because being physically fit and pushing your limits is a total waste of time.  Who want's do physical activities that prevent obesity and diabetes and make friends any way?  Brohoof dude.

Sorry man! D: I forgot that I'm not allowed to have an opinion! Always forget that!

OT: Or - You could do such that actually makes you feel like your progressing at something. For example: I do yoga, and such. Oh, and I actually have a gym class this semester. We're working on self defense right now. As well as gymnastics, which I'm meh at. Once again, sorry for having an opinion.

• Brohoof 2

I understand how most people don't see the appeal of watching sports. I know I might not have an opinion but, this semester I have Swimming as a gym class for credits. I played basketball for years and I have gold, silver, and bronze medals in Track & Field. Usually, I am not a sports fan, but I do enjoy playing sports instead.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry man! D: I forgot that I'm not allowed to have an opinion! Always forget that!

OT: Or - You could do such that actually makes you feel like your progressing at something. For example: I do yoga, and such. Oh, and I actually have a gym class this semester. We're working on self defense right now. As well as gymnastics, which I'm meh at. Once again, sorry for having an opinion.

You have a right to an opinion, but I also have the right to criticize it.  When you say sports is a waste of time you pretty much insult everyone whose ever played a sport of even thought about playing a sport.  Also sports is clearly not a waste of time.  The whole statement is laughable.  I understand you don't like watching sports, I do too, but declaring an entire industry pointless is not going to go over well regardless of what your talking about.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't for the longest time. I actually didn't know how to play football until like 6 months ago. It just suddenly clicked. Since then, I've enjoyed watching football, as long as it's a team I care about. Basketball, I only really care about if it's March Madness.

You have a right to an opinion, but I also have the right to criticize it.  When you say sports is a waste of time you pretty much insult everyone whose ever played a sport of even thought about playing a sport.  Also sports is clearly not a waste of time.  The whole statement is laughable.  I understand you don't like watching sports, I do too, but declaring an entire industry pointless is not going to go over well regardless of what your talking about.

May I point out: I ended that whole sentence with "in my opinion". Which means that... obvious. I can laugh at anyone's opinion if I want to, by your rule, which means that yours is such. Stating that I don't like something is absolutely fine. And even more fine. *Waves hello to the internet*

I didn't declare it was pointless either. I stated my opinion, which I had to state was an opinion... multiple times (Odd.). I'm so sorry something offensive was said towards an industry on a board on an internet. :(

(I really wish I could find that NC clip... can't. :C)

I absolutely hate arguing on these forums; so feel free to keep talking about how you're right.

• Brohoof 3

I understand how most people don't see the appeal of watching sports. I know I might not have an opinion but, this semester I have Swimming as a gym class for credits. I played basketball for years and I have gold, silver, and bronze medals in Track & Field. Usually, I am not a sports fan, but I do enjoy playing sports instead.

That's exactly what I mean. All the fun in athleticism comes from actually being physical yourself, and experiencing the fun and intensity of competition first hand. Watching others play sports...I don't see the fun in that.

• Brohoof 2

People watch it to live out there fantasies, and most students watch them to perfect their skills.  I honestly see no point in watching or playing sports, so thats all I've got.

I understand that. Back in Elementary school I hated sports because everyone seemed too serious about them and I found there were too many rules for me to enjoy them. I was resenting taking Phys Ed last year because Elementary left me with a bad impression of sports but I found them a lot better in High School. I never found watching sports fun and I still don't think playing professionally would be very fun but if you're just playing a game of Basket Ball, for example, with your buddies, it can be really fun. ^_^

Pretty much what Discount said in response to this. You have as much of a right to your opinion as he has to disagreeing.

As for the rest of your post, I find that when I play paintball, I get a lot of adrenaline. If it weren't for all of that adrenaline rushing through me, I wouldn't be able to do half of what I do when I play. If I were to, say, run on a treadmill, instead, because paintball is an obvious "waste of time", I wouldn't be able to do half of the running I do in paintball because I don't get an adrenaline rush running on a treadmill. I have definitely become more athletic since starting paintball(not solely because of it, I have also been exercising a lot more). However, I also love the paintball community in general, but that isn't too related to the point.

Now, as for the thread's topic, I don't watch sports all to often, but when I do, it is usually semi-fun(not nearly as much as playing, mind you). There's a couple reasons why I watch paintball. I try to learn different skills by observation so I can have them in mind before I get to the field. For two, I just find it fun to see who comes out on top, either by having the dominant streams of paint, or by someone Leeroy Jenkins'ing and bunkering a bunch of people.

I also occasionally watch the Superbowl. Not every year, but some years. It usually starts out with me thinking watching sports is stupid and that this is going to be dumb, then getting drawn into the suspense of who is going to make a ridiculous play and score a touchdown, or something.

Either way, paintball and the Superbowl are the only times I watch sports. I like playing, but watching isn't so bad.

To better answer your question, I guess people who used to play sports, but either no longer do/no longer can/etc. can still enjoy the rush. It''s like watching a movie, I guess. At least for a good movie, you feel like you're in it.

For the record, I LOVE playing sports. But watching sports isn't really exciting unless it's a tied game with 30 seconds left. 

It's like watching someone ride a roller coaster. Is it more fun to watch or is it more fun to be on the roller coaster?

(edited)

I refuse to watch or support any form of Sports, There is no appeal in watching supports, there is no logic in buy tickets and supporting sports events.

I go so far I evne boycot playing them. and I will stick up my noise to any one thats assocated with any for of sport activity

There overly payed people that do nothing for susicity,

Doctors sohudl get paid more then these people, Police should get paid more , and figher fighters shoudl get paid more then a sport plays.

All that rediculus amount of money being paid out to sport plays could quick littlery pay of the US debts easly.

Edited by MadDoggyca

I used to not be able to. Especially back in high school. I dreaded going to the football games when I was in marching band. It was always nothing but a time to play the same annoying songs a million times in a row and watch the clock go down. Of course, I enjoyed the dances we did in the stands, but that was about it. xD

Then I got to college and I changed rather fast. I don't really know why. When I say 'college', I mean community college, not university. We didn't have any sports teams. What happened was that I became a fan of of the university that my mom went to. She had raised me to like them all throughout my childhood, but I wasn't really into them as a sports team until college. I also actually figured out what was going on in football, and that made it much more watchable.

It's embarrassing that I actually enjoy sports. I think it's more the team spirit than it is the sports. I had no team spirit in high school. Also it's now nostalgia. That one's really hard to explain, though. As you see this is my first year in university. lol

• Brohoof 2

Haaaaaaate sports. All kinds. I hate doing them, I hate watching them, I hate hating them, except a select few. Obviously, I love to watch the Olympics, as long as I have an iPad with the forums in front of me. Gym class is, actually, not as terrible as you would think, what with me hating sports, and whatnot. We play more games, rather than sports, and I could literally die from happiness whenever the gym teacher announces that we should bring our swimsuits. Swimming is my absolute favorite gross-muscle-related activity, bar none, although gymnastics is really fun, too. But, I digress. I agree.

• Brohoof 1

I used to not be able to. Especially back in high school. I dreaded going to the football games when I was in marching band. It was always nothing but a time to play the same annoying songs a million times in a row and watch the clock go down. Of course, I enjoyed the dances we did in the stands, but that was about it. xD

Then I got to college and I changed rather fast. I don't really know why. When I say 'college', I mean community college, not university. We didn't have any sports teams. What happened was that I became a fan of of the university that my mom went to. She had raised me to like them all throughout my childhood, but I wasn't really into them as a sports team until college. I also actually figured out what was going on in football, and that made it much more watchable.

It's embarrassing that I actually enjoy sports. I think it's more the team spirit than it is the sports. I had no team spirit in high school. Also it's now nostalgia. That one's really hard to explain, though. As you see this is my first year in university. lol

Yeah I enjoy dancing in the stands myself since I'm in highschool(And I intend to enjoy every minute of it :P While I can of course) However I actually kinda enjoy playing the music in the stands, idk why maybe I'm a freshman and that contributes to that, who knows really. Still I dunno if I can really find that dancing around in the stands gets old, however I normally forget the games going on and before I know its over and i'm like :/ Darnit Xd.

Anyways.. On topic.

Well I can understand why people would want to watch sports, I mean its a hobby and all, and some people are just passionate about stuff like sports teams or something, maybe sometimes its because of how the majority of people know about a sport and its sprung from the desire to fit in by knowing everything. Maybe people just have lots of team spirit, or pride in their team, or their knowledge of their team, like anything its a hobby though so while I'm not really a big sports fan(And even less for playing them since i totally suck at them XD.) I still can understand why they'd like them.

Maybe its also got to do with appreciation you get from playing the sport idk, its a possible motivation, heck after being in marching band and even from being in band just I've got this greater respect for marching and music, and I've even watched a couple other marching shows on youtube, and since I know how hard it is I get an appreciation for it, so its kinda enjoyable compared to before I understood that stuff.

Heck I even have a better appreciation for more of the music style we just play in concert band and stuff, more I guess thats classical music? I'm not even sure (I'm an idiot Xd.) I still don't find it my favorite, but I appreciate it, heck I even went to a concert before, even if my band teacher was the one convincing me to try it(Although I'll be perfectly honestly I don't have the patient to enjoy it the whole time.)

I'm getting off topic, anyways while I don't myself enjoy watching sports that much, I can see reasons why others would, even if I don't.

I think playing sports is fun, but I also think when you go somewhere to watch someone play live (especially professional teams you're a fan of) can be a lot of fun because of the atmosphere. I think it largely depends on whether or not you care about the team, the only events I can watch and be interested in are one for my high school and the Blazers since I'm a blazers fan. But even so, I can really only watch them in person, on the tv it's just boring. 

I don't really like them in general. Watching them is incredibly boring, as I find anything without and intricate in-depth plot boring.

As for playing them myself, no. Just no. I don't need people telling me that I run weird and that I'm just a fat lazy ass. The only reason I participate in PE is to keep my grades on A/B Honor roll.