Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Ancient Rome Rp

Alex Kennedy

Link to OOC: http://mlpforums.com/topic/51812-ancient-rome-rp-rebooted-before-it-even-began/

Gladius sighed as he finished sharpening his sword. As much as he hated the senseless bloodshed of the gladiator games, he loved a good fight to test his skills. Quite a paradox, really. Anyway, he had to do it, his family's honor depended on it. His father had been both a praetorian guard and a champion in the games, and he was determined to achieve both of those things himself.

He stepped out of into the arena to the roar of the crowd. He could feel their cheers pulsing through his body, making him feel more alive. He didn't do it for the fame, but he'd be lying if he said he didn't enjoy it.

He opponent stepped out on the other side of the arena, and from his stance as well as the fear in his eyes Gladius could tell he was a rookie. Not the test of skill he'd been hoping for, but at least it would keep him sharp for the next time he got a decent fight.

He took a few steps forward and drew his sword, waiting for his opponent to make the first move. The rookie drew his blade but hesitated, clearly afraid. But Gladius had patience honed by years of hunting, he could wait all day. The tension in the air continued to grow thicker and eventually it became to much for the other pony. He charged at Gladius, who easily parried his blow, while at the same time stepping forward and spinning around, leaving him facing the rookie's back. With one quick strike he sent the rookie crashing to the ground. He held him at swordpoint and waited for the cheers of the crowd to determine the ponies fate.

As afraid as he had been during the fight, the pony seemed to except his defeat and possible death with honor and dignity. He extended his neck as was the custom and waited to see what the crowd would decide. As brave as he was, he still couldn't help but shudder in fear.

Eventually the crowd began to cheer and seemed to reach a consensus that the defeated gladiator had earned the right to live and fight another day. Gladius quickly pulled back and sheathed his sword before helping his opponent up. They shook hooves and left through the same gates they had entered from.

Gladius sighed. It wasn't the most glorious match, but it was something.

• Brohoof 2

Diamond sat at a long fancy dining room table...alone. A few servants walked over and placed a plate of delicious looking salad in front of her. She used her magic to pick up her fork and she began to eat, thinking about her day. *I cant believe Brutus would ask ME to see a gladiator fight...ME OF ALL PONIES...Ugh, Colts and their stupid games.* She thought, furiously stabbing a piece of lettuce.

Scar was sitting in his room at the amphitheatre throwing a rock into the air and catching it again in his claw. He didn't have to fight tonight and today was his day off from his guard duties...so with nothing to do...he stayed in his room.

Glory stood near the main stand, resting one hind hoof as she did so. The pegacorn was a prophetess, and often was consulted by citizens of the city in times of unrest. This was one such time, so soon after the changeling invasion, and Glory could sense that the ponies were restless. It wasn't a good time for the city, and Glory was worried. She had had a vision before the invasion and had rushed to inform the emperor as soon as she'd had it.

Despite her vision turning out to be true, Glory had become even more worried and withdrawn as a result. Despite her talent for prophecy being a useful one, it often caused her worry and stress as a result. Which was why she had gone to the amphitheatre in the first place. Not interested in such in fights between other ponies, Glory found it far more calming to watch the various ponies inside; the civilians in the stands, the gladiators, the slaves, the high ponies. However, she still could not fight the dread that there was something else that fate had in store for the city.

Scroll quietly flipped through a tome within a library. It was seized from someplace in a conquest, but he didn't care to know where. What was important was the contents. He treated this tome with utmost care, books of any sort were quite rare. He could hear the noise from the arena, the masses swarming around brutes killing each other. He was done with this book for now, and carefully put it away. He had somepony to meet with, and couldn't be late.He wore a plain white tunic and toga, marking him as a common citizen.  He headed out the door, and towards a small shop down the street. He entered the shop, the smell of incense overpowering. 

"Topaz!" he called out.

"Ah, Scroll, come in." a voice from a room behind the shop called.

An older stallion with a dark blue mane and bright white fur was inside.

"What is it?" Topaz asked.

"I'm glad I caught you before you left. Did your shipment from the north come in?"

"The isles? Yes, It came, what of it?"

"What did it bring?"

"Various trinkets from the conquests."

"May I have a look?"

"Of course."

Topaz showed him to a small crate lying on the shop floor.

"Any items of interest are probably in there."

"Thank you."

Topaz could tell this was it. He felt a strange presence from the crate, like he was being slowly dragged in by it. He opened it up, and all sorts of items were strewn about, but one in particular attracted his attention. A small green jewel emanating a powerful aura.

"What do you want for this?' he asked Topaz, holding the gem.

"That little thing? 10 bits." he said. It was apparent Topaz could not sense the energy of this jewel. 

"Done." he said, and gave him the bits Scroll knew there was some sort of power behind this, but what?

@@Pripyat Pony

(Something just occurred to me: I think I'm going to have the civilians think of you as still being an alicorn, which is part of why they revere you.)

Gladius washed up after his match and put on his uniform. He had guard duty at the palace tonight. He headed over to the palace and reported in with the guard captain.

"Ah, lieutenant Gladius. I saw your match today. You were quite impressive, although it's a shame that it had to end so quickly."

"Thank you sir. I'll be heading out to my usual post then?"

"Yes, by the gate as always."

"Very well, then. I'll be off sir."

And with that Gladius headed out to his usual post to stand guard for the night.

@,

Diamond finished her meal and stood up. "Hey Peddle...I think I am going to go to the palace to finish up some of my work...I'll be back within the next hour or two." She said, as a young unicorn trotted into the room and nodded.

With that, Diamond put on some pretty robes and made her way out of her large house and down the street towards the palace.

When she arrived at the two large doors leading into the castle she noticed a familiar face. "Good afternoon Gladius...its nice to see you in one piece." She said, giving him a warm smile.

(edited)

"Good afternoon Gladius...its nice to see you in one piece."

Gladius smiled and nodded. He had great respect for the senator, and even if he didn't, honor and duty demanded that he treat her courteously.

"With all due respect ma'am, it'll take a lot more than some colt who just learned how to hold a sword to hurt me. And it's um... good to see you too, ma'am. You're looking quite lovely today, if it's not too bold to say."

Edited by Alex-Kennedy
  • Brohoof 1

Ooc: Good idea.

When the gladiator fights were finished, Glory trotted out of the amphitheatre, giving a smile to the two guard ponies. She generally spent her time walking thru the city, occasionally helping other ponies out if they needed it. In her white robes and elaborate manestyle, the young pegacorn looked sweet and saintly. She did her best to live up to this image, tho it was at times extremely difficult.

A small teal colored blind pony wandered through the streets of Rome, she had bracers tied tightly to her legs hiding a very shocking secret, she was half zebra.

She shrugged as other ponies rudely ran into her and knocked her off balanced. she shrugged it off and continued walking.

"this city... its just a pain in my rear..." she muttered, kicking up some dust.

She stopped when she hear the voices of other ponies, she somehow managed to wander onto the palace's grounds.

Oh Dear... Unholy thought, backing up.

as she backed up she smashed into a pile of helmets and created quite a ruckus.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Gladius smiled and nodded. He had great respect for the senator, and even if he didn't, honor and duty demanded that he treat her courteously.

"With all due respect ma'am, it'll take a lot more than some colt who just learned how to hold a sword to hurt me. And it's um... good to see you too, ma'am. You're looking quite lovely today, if it's not too bold to say."

Diamond chuckled. "I can imagine. And thank you very much. Considering you were just in a fight, you look quite dapper." She said, smiling. "Well, I better get inside, have a good night Gladius." She said, nodding at him and making her way into the palace, but looked back out when she heard a very loud noise. She noticed a pony had walked into a large pile of helmets ? "Oh dear, are you alright ?" She asked, quickly walking over to help the pony.

@

Edited by Sir Flame of Dancerville

Topaz also grabbed a bag of myrrh sap, and left the store. The isle of Britannia was known for its magical properties, surely this gem was important. He headed home, preparing to study the gem. He set up is study, preparing for isolation with his magical energies. He began burning the myrrh, which helped him focus. He began to levitate the gem, focusing his energy into it. He definitely felt a presence of some sort, but it would be quite difficult to find what exactly it was.

@,

Gladius heard the crash and immediately drew his sword.

"Stand back, ma'am, we can't be sure it's not some sort of threat."

He trotted quickly over to where the crash had taken place. 

@,

"And just who might you be, exactly? More importantly, why are you on the palace grounds?

Gladius maintained a level tone this whole time. He didn't really suspect that it was any sort of threat, but he always made sure to do his job properly.

@,

Unholy got up and continued backing away, making sure her hair was covering her face and her bracers were tied tightly.

"n-no... i-i'm fine..." Unholy muttered, lowering her head in shame, she was just waiting for the mocking and insults to start... they always did.

(edited)

@,

@,

"She's fine Gladius...she's just a filly. Why don't you come inside for a cup of tea." She said, holding out her hoof for Unholy to take. "I was thinking of making a pot of tea anyway so this gives me a good reason. Please, its my treat." She said, not noticing how the pony seemed to be shying away...or how she was blind.

Edited by Sir Flame of Dancerville

@,

Gladius heard the crash and immediately drew his sword.

"Stand back, ma'am, we can't be sure it's not some sort of threat."

He trotted quickly over to where the crash had taken place. 

@,

"And just who might you be, exactly? More importantly, why are you on the palace grounds?

Gladius maintained a level tone this whole time. He didn't really suspect that it was any sort of threat, but he always made sure to do his job properly.

Unholy turned her head to face the other pony, showing him her sightless eyes.

"i-i didn't mean to... I've never been to this part of the city before, i have no idea where i am or how i got here... it just seems stragne to me that i happened upon the palace grounds..." Unholy mumbled, half to herself.

(edited)

Unholy turned her head to face the other pony, showing him her sightless eyes.

"i-i didn't mean to... I've never been to this part of the city before, i have no idea where i am or how i got here... it just seems stragne to me that i happened upon the palace grounds..." Unholy mumbled, half to herself.

Gladius nodded and did his best attempt at smiling warmly, something he was hardly accustomed to.

"It's okay, just try to pay more attention to where you're going next time. It's easy for somepony who can't see to get hurt or taken advantage of in this city, and as hard as we may try, the guards can't always be there to protect you"

@,

@,

"She's fine Gladius...she's just a filly. Why don't you come inside for a cup of tea." She said, holding out her hoof for Unholy to take. "I was thinking of making a pot of tea anyway so this gives me a good reason. Please, its my treat." She said, not noticing how the pony seemed to be shying away...or how she was blind.

"With all do respect, are you sure about that ma'am? It's most unorthodox, to say the least."

Edited by Alex-Kennedy

@,

@,

she glared over at thee other pony.

"I am not a filly!" she snapped, rather angry.

"I'm eighteen, and actually... i would love a spot of tea... it's been a long time since i've had tea... a very long time..." Unholy said, cooling down a bit from the comment, she quickly shook it off.

she glared over at thee other pony.

"I am not a filly!" she snapped, rather angry.

"I'm eighteen, and actually... i would love a spot of tea... it's been a long time since i've had tea... a very long time..." Unholy said, cooling down a bit from the comment, she quickly shook it off.

Gladius nodded and did his best attempt at smiling warmly, something he was hardly accustomed to.

"It's okay, just try to pay more attention to where you're going next time. It's easy for somepony who can't see to get hurt or taken advantage of in this city, and as hard as we may try, the guards can't always be there to protect you"

"With all do respect, are you sure about that ma'am? It's most unorthodox, to say the least."

Diamond laughed. "I mean no disrespect my dear. I am not much older than eighteen...but I do still consider it young, but being young is not a bad thing, in fact I would take it as a complement." She said, looking over at Gladius. "She's fine Gladius. I can handle myself...would you like to come in for some tea as well ?" She asked, smiling.

Diamond laughed. "I mean no disrespect my dear. I am not much older than eighteen...but I do still consider it young, but being young is not a bad thing, in fact I would take it as a complement." She said, looking over at Gladius. "She's fine Gladius. I can handle myself...would you like to come in for some tea as well ?" She asked, smiling.

Gladius looked at her, shocked.

"As much as I'd love to, honored senator, I don't feel that it is my place. I'm supposed to be on guard duty, ma'am, and besides, what would the rest of the senate think if they heard you were fraternizing with a lowly guard?"

He had to admit, the offer was very tempting. He had long admired the senator, but he knew his place and it certainly was not alongside her.

@, @,

"but... i'm not allowed in the palace... I'm a beggar, a nopony! ponies mock me, spit at me, shove me over... i do not think i should even set hoof in the palace for the palace would surly become unclean and unholy..." She explained, hopeful that she might be able to leave without many problems.

@, @,

"but... i'm not allowed in the palace... I'm a beggar, a nopony! ponies mock me, spit at me, shove me over... i do not think i should even set hoof in the palace for the palace would surly become unclean and unholy..." She explained, hopeful that she might be able to leave without many problems.

Gladius looked at her, shocked.

"As much as I'd love to, honored senator, I don't feel that it is my place. I'm supposed to be on guard duty, ma'am, and besides, what would the rest of the senate think if they heard you were fraternizing with a lowly guard?"

He had to admit, the offer was very tempting. He had long admired the senator, but he knew his place and it certainly was not alongside her.

"Nonsense Gladius, if the senate doesn't like the idea than that's their problem, I would like to have a cup of tea with my friend and no pony is going to stop me." She looked down at the filly mare and only just realized she was blind. "Oh my...that is exactly why you need to come inside for some tea. Its the least I can do. Gladius, would you be a dear and help our friend here inside while I go put on the kettle ?" She asked, moving towards the door but waiting for an answer before walking in.

Scar got bored of throwing the ball and got up. He yawned and stretched, then made his way out of his room towards the mess hall.

@,

Gladius submitted. Normally he would be much more reluctant to abandon his duty, but he felt strange and unfamiliar feelings towards the senator, and they got the better of him.

"As you wish, ma'am. If you really want me to, I certainly won't be so ungrateful as to refuse."

@

He turned to the zebra and took her by the hoof so as to lead her inside.

"Follow me, miss."

"Nonsense Gladius, if the senate doesn't like the idea than that's their problem, I would like to have a cup of tea with my friend and no pony is going to stop me." She looked down at the filly mare and only just realized she was blind. "Oh my...that is exactly why you need to come inside for some tea. Its the least I can do. Gladius, would you be a dear and help our friend here inside while I go put on the kettle ?" She asked, moving towards the door but waiting for an answer before walking in. Scar got bored of throwing the ball and got up. He yawned and stretched, then made his way out of his room towards the mess hall.

Unholy realized the pony wasn't about to give up so Unholy let out a sigh. She quickly tightened her bracers so they wouldn't accidentally fall off while she was walking.

"Okay fine. you win. I'll go with you for a spot of tea, but thats it." Unholy muttered.

Diamond looked back at the pony. "I thought you said you were a beggar...most beggar's would love a chance for some tea in the palace...but if you feel differently, then don't feel you have too. I just thought maybe you would want too." She said, holding the door open for Unholy and Gladius.

@,@,

Gladius lead the blind young mare through the doors and into the palace. He still felt extremely guilty about leaving his post, especially for something as frivolous as tea with a random mare, but he tried to take his mind off of it. Diamond had insisted on him coming, and the captain couldn't really argue with that. Besides, he still wanted to understand exactly what he felt for the senator. 

• Brohoof 1