Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Elder Scrolls Series {Including Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and ESO!}

Mint Petal

Okay, now tell me of the so-called unique dungeons. They said they would be handcrafting every single dungeon in the game. Anyone got any experience in them yet? Do they truly look handcrafted or are they generated like in Oblivion?

The dungeons, so far, at least, seem to be unique. I've delved into about 15 of them so far and haven't noticed any extreme similarities. They did a good job on them. You don't get the awkward deja vu from all of the dungeons this time around.

The dungeons, so far, at least, seem to be unique. I've delved into about 15 of them so far and haven't noticed any extreme similarities. They did a good job on them. You don't get the awkward deja vu from all of the dungeons this time around.

The only thing I don't like about the dungeons is that they lock to your level. Just a personal thing, but I wouldn't want to enter a super awesome dungeon at level 5, to only come back to it and find mud crabs or small coyotes...or whatever small critters Skyrim has. Of course that is just an example.

Just wondering though, how many people play with the difficulty all the way up? I do. Can't imagine what a dragon would be like at 100%.

The only thing I don't like about the dungeons is that they lock to your level. Just a personal thing, but I wouldn't want to enter a super awesome dungeon at level 5, to only come back to it and find mud crabs or small coyotes...or whatever small critters Skyrim has. Of course that is just an example.

Just wondering though, how many people play with the difficulty all the way up? I do. Can't imagine what a dragon would be like at 100%.

Hehe, I tried to fight a Dragon with Master difficulty, and even though I had a crew of 3 NPC's and 2 Flame Atronachs with me, we were ANNIHILATED. So, yeah... it's hard. XD

Also, I didn't know the dungeons locked to your level, but then again, there isn't any reason to return to the dungeons in this game once you've cleared them out.

Hehe, I tried to fight a Dragon with Master difficulty, and even though I had a crew of 3 NPC's and 2 Flame Atronachs with me, we were ANNIHILATED. So, yeah... it's hard. XD

Also, I didn't know the dungeons locked to your level, but then again, there isn't any reason to return to the dungeons in this game once you've cleared them out.

I guess that makes sense, I remember back in Oblivion, I would re-enter a certain dungeon over and over every couple in-game days to kill bandits and sell their valuable armor/weapons.

But that makes me kind of scared of the dragons...I could see like 2 dragons attacking you in one session...Don't know if dragons are that close to each other or not, but that would be terrible.

I find it adds more of a challenge to the game so that I have that feeling that I don't have a high chance of survival. But if the scenario is just impossible, and I've been at it for hours, I might lower it for that section. Haha. I like challenges =3.

Edited by Hayze

I guess that makes sense, I remember back in Oblivion, I would re-enter a certain dungeon over and over every couple in-game days to kill bandits and sell their valuable armor/weapons. But that makes me kind of scared of the dragons...I could see like 2 dragons attacking you in one session...Don't know if dragons are that close to each other or not, but that would be terrible. I find it adds more of a challenge to the game so that I have that feeling that I don't have a high chance of survival. But if the scenario is just impossible, and I've been at it for hours, I might lower it for that section. Haha. I like challenges =3.

Well, as far as I know the only reason you could really have to re-enter a dungeon is to kill off the enemies again, given that they even respawn.

Well, Dragons are meant to be feared. On the middle difficulty setting I found that they're not too hard to slay with a group of NPC companions, but they provide a stiff challenge for me on my lonesome or with my Housecarl (Teammate) alone.

Dragons aren't necessarily 'close' or 'far' from any given locations. There are certain spots in the world where dragons will just 'be at' when you get there, but most of the time they free-roam the world and you may just occasionally encounter them at random. Or they might just kill something else (wildlife, other NPC's, etc.) and just fly off. Who knows? That's one of the most fun parts of the game, I think.

Well, Skyrim is all around tougher than Oblivion was. Most enemies don't scale to your level the same way they did in Oblivion. Rather, many enemies in 'tougher' parts of the world will be brutal if you encounter them too early and then slowly match your level as you reach the appropriate strength. They don't just continually get tougher as you level up, some of them are just tough from the start.

Edited by Fluttershy

Well, as far as I know the only reason you could really have to re-enter a dungeon is to kill off the enemies again, given that they even respawn.

Well, Dragons are meant to be feared. On the middle difficulty setting I found that they're not too hard to slay with a group of NPC companions, but they provide a stiff challenge for me on my lonesome or with my Housecarl (Teammate) alone.

Dragons aren't necessarily 'close' or 'far' from any given locations. There are certain spots in the world where dragons will just 'be at' when you get there, but most of the time they free-roam the world and you may just occasionally encounter them at random. Or they might just kill something else (wildlife, other NPC's, etc.) and just fly off. Who knows? That's one of the most fun parts of the game, I think.

Well, Skyrim is all around tougher than Oblivion was. Most enemies don't scale to your level the same way they did in Oblivion. Rather, many enemies in 'tougher' parts of the world will be brutal if you encounter them too early and then slowly match your level as you reach the appropriate strength. They don't just continually get tougher as you level up, some of them are just tough from the start.

Okay, That's a really cool system in my opinion. I like the sound of that. Especially the dragons being where the please, attacking what they will.

That will make for some truly epic fights having some of the enemies higher than your current level instead of matching it. In the older TES, I found the most excitement and challenge from fights with large groups of enemies. But with the new system, I'll possibly get that same enjoyment with smaller groups, to one foe, and even more enjoyment when against a large group. If they are over my level that is. =) That is if I understood correctly.

Okay, That's a really cool system in my opinion. I like the sound of that. Especially the dragons being where the please, attacking what they will. That will make for some truly epic fights having some of the enemies higher than your current level instead of matching it. In the older TES, I found the most excitement and challenge from fights with large groups of enemies. But with the new system, I'll possibly get that same enjoyment with smaller groups, to one foe, and even more enjoyment when against a large group. If they are over my level that is. =) That is if I understood correctly.

Yep, it sounds to me like you understood correctly. I'll put an example for you:

Let's say I'm Level 4 and I'm just trotting along looking for something to kill. Suddenly, I stumble upon a Troll. It's going to be significantly more powerful than me, as its level is much higher than 4 (I don't know the exact level, obviously). I fight it, I lose, because it's too powerful. I come back and fight that same troll later when I'm Level 9 and it's an easier fight, as I now match or possibly even exceed its level.

That's an example based off of what has actually happened with me.

Also, expect a lot of large scale battles in this game. Not necessarily a load of enemies against you, but fights erupt all over the place, some scripted, some not, which involve you and loads of NPC's from two different sides duking it out.

Also, this game has a system in place that lets you take an adventurer with you (there are several to discover throughout the game, but you may only take one at a time). The adventurers you take with you can use equipment you give them and will always scale to match your level, so they're valuable companions. They can die, but it's very, very hard for them to be killed unless you land the final blow on them, as enemies leave them in 'recovery mode' when they're almost dead.

Yep, it sounds to me like you understood correctly. I'll put an example for you:

Let's say I'm Level 4 and I'm just trotting along looking for something to kill. Suddenly, I stumble upon a Troll. It's going to be significantly more powerful than me, as its level is much higher than 4 (I don't know the exact level, obviously). I fight it, I lose, because it's too powerful. I come back and fight that same troll later when I'm Level 9 and it's an easier fight, as I now match or possibly even exceed its level.

That's an example based off of what has actually happened with me.

Also, expect a lot of large scale battles in this game. Not necessarily a load of enemies against you, but fights erupt all over the place, some scripted, some not, which involve you and loads of NPC's from two different sides duking it out.

Also, this game has a system in place that lets you take an adventurer with you (there are several to discover throughout the game, but you may only take one at a time). The adventurers you take with you can use equipment you give them and will always scale to match your level, so they're valuable companions. They can die, but it's very, very hard for them to be killed unless you land the final blow on them, as enemies leave them in 'recovery mode' when they're almost dead.

So it is like they took aspects of Fallout and worked the systems they felt that worked well, and adapted them into Skyrim to make the game more challenging, but rewarding at the same time, while keeping the difficulty available to be altered for newer players.

So it is like they took aspects of Fallout and worked the systems they felt that worked well, and adapted them into Skyrim to make the game more challenging, but rewarding at the same time, while keeping the difficulty available to be altered for newer players.

Yep, that's basically it. ^^

It's a really fun game, you've just gotta ignore the numerous little flaws all over the place.

Another question about dungeons: Are they just prettified walking space or do they have anything useful in them? Another thing about the random dungeons in Oblivion was that most of the time you could never really find anything particularly useful in them since the best equipment was either bought or from a quest or the main quest.

Another question about dungeons: Are they just prettified walking space or do they have anything useful in them? Another thing about the random dungeons in Oblivion was that most of the time you could never really find anything particularly useful in them since the best equipment was either bought or from a quest or the main quest.

I am sure that there are many dungeons in Skyrim with valuables and powerful items. Some of the most powerful stuff I've received were from dungeons. Especially in the Shivering Isles in Oblivion. And I am sure that there are quests that will require you to enter certain ones for rewards. I am really looking forward to doing the Deadric prince quests if they are there. Like Azura, or Sheogorath.

I have never found anything useful in Oblivion's dungeons. lol

It's all salable crap compared to the Armor of the Crusader and Dark Brotherhood armor plus a Blades Katana and Elfin Bow. I haven't changed my equipment in forever because of this stuff. Though I do use the Kvatch Tunic a lot to raise my Strength permanently so I rarely, if ever, take that off and I don't feel like going through the pilgramage to be able to equip the Crusader stuff again. xD

Well in the Shivering Isles, you can find Madness veins that give madness ore which is fashioned into armor.. Which if I am correct is strongest. But I've never compared it to the Crusader set in ages. For example, another weapon I got in a Shivering Isles dungeon would be that Shadowrend sword/axe, and Dusk/dawnfang. Umbra was an amazing sword too. Then there is Mehrune's Dagger if you get the dlc for it.

I am more of a melee fighter, so I love heavy plate armor, swords and shields. And Madness armor is awesome! As well as the swords I mentioned.

Edited by Hayze

I got it at a midnight launch in my town I love playing it. I feel great that I am level 11 and defeated 4 dragons already.

I just got to level 13 and I've slain 11 dragons. I'm a dragon killing fiend. XD

Oh, I've got a tip for you based on how far you are in the main quest. Only read this spoiler if you've already completed the 'Diplomatic Immunity' quest or just don't care about spoilers.

After you complete 'Diplomatic Immunity' and the quest directly following it in the main storyline, Delphine and another companion will follow you to a specified location in the game world. If you want 2 extra companions (who are also invincible), then simply STOP progressing in the main quest for now and do side quests.

They're great allies, especially the other companion (whom I won't name in case you haven't met them), as the other companion is a mage.

With them in tow, you can take on dragons even on Expert difficulty, though not easily, of course. XD

You certainly do ask a lot of questions. Just get the game already. XD

*Ahem* To answer your question, they are indeed more than just prettified walking space. They usually contain at least one Semi-Rare to Rare item in them at the end and sometimes have Dragon Altars where you can learn new 'Shouts' (A special kind of power in Skyrim). It's worth delving into them, even if for nothing else than loot to sell to the next merchant you meet.

Edited by Fluttershy

Dual wielding makes me think that stealthy characters would feel a little more like assassins with 2 daggers =3. I also love the Idea of having a healing spell in one hand with a sword or mace or something in the other hand.

I wonder though if you can swap the hands for left/right handed characters. I know that doesn't matter game play wise, but it would be a neat feature for players to feel more like the character too.

I also love the Idea of having a healing spell in one hand with a sword or mace or something in the other hand.

I wonder though if you can swap the hands for left/right handed characters. I know that doesn't matter game play wise, but it would be a neat feature for players to feel more like the character too.

It's probably even more awesome than you think. To put it simply, with enough work into Magic, you don't even need a shield. :P

Also, dual-casting the same spell to 'overcharge it' is SO AWESOME! :wub:

To answer your wonderings, yes, you can choose which hand holds what at any time. So you can be a lefty, a righty or ambidextrous.

"FUS RO DAH!"

Skyrim is very good. I especially love the added shouts and dual-wielding, along with the new "no-class" system.

The shouts are pretty cool, but I've only really found Unrelenting Power to be of any real use so far. The no-class system is by far the biggest improvement over Oblivion, though. I love not being tied to a decision I made at the beginning of a game like this.

For my thoughts on dual-wielding, see my reply to Hayze. XD

I got Skyrim the day after it came out, and I've been playing it nearly nonstop since then. It is amazing. I'm not usually a fan of the Elder Scrolls games, really. As much as I love the fantasy genre, I found Oblivion boring and Morrowind confusing (it was fun once I got the hang of it, but that took me a long time). But this game is just fantastic. It's beautiful, it's fun, it's exciting. Killing your first dragon without excessive help is the best feeling in the world. I also LOVE the no-class system. It feels so much more freeing than having to pick a class and stick to it.

Yeah this game is truly amazing! Been playing so much since i got it. Had to reset my first save since i played on a cracked Skyrim but after sometime with it.... I decided to buy a retail copy of it. So i'm not that far into the game yet.

I'm currently playing as a mage/summoner, which means i go destru/conjur build.

Edited by Jonke
  • Brohoof 1

After I torrented the game yesterday, I'm so going to get it for my xbox !

The graphics in Skyrim are just too beautiful, and the gameplay... Just woah... where did that come from ?!