Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Elder Scrolls Series {Including Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and ESO!}

Mint Petal

I've always wondered what game in the Elder Scrolls series is the best.

According to me, I think Morrowind is the best. An absolutely fantastic game. However, I have not even finished the main quest line, but I have very bad sense of direction and there is not exactly something called mapmarker in Morrowind ... I really do not know why I love the game so much. It is a wonderful game. But I hate that the Argonian and Kahjits are beast races. You can't have full helmets ... They walk very weird. I laugh every time they sneak ... It looks hilarious.

But what do you think?

I think you all will say that Skyrim is the best ...

I've played 1,3,4, and 5. I'd say Oblivion was my favorite, due to not only the amazing green countryside. I also think quests were done much better. You'd think I'd just be a Skyrim noob, but I'm a diehard Elder Scrolls fan. ;)

I absolutely loved Morrowind and still do, I personally just think it had the best atmosphere (it just felt like a entirely new world by itself), the exploration just seemed more awe inspiring, and I still think it has the best looking armor of them all.

Oblivion was alright for me, it just felt too medival-ish, just extremely cliche generic fantasy. Nothing about it really sucked me in that much even though alot of the side quests were pretty cool. Better than the main one, imo. The introduction of fast travel kind of kills it too for me, since even though you can choose not to use it it's just like.. why not?

Skyrim is a pretty nice mix of both for me, it still feels too generic fantasy for me but the way they made the landscapes and everything so marvelous this time around fixes that. You also can't beat having an actual combat system for once that's pretty fun for whatever role you decide to play. However the big lack of spells and cool looking armor (imo) kind of kills it for me. Considering the guilds you join give you some of the best armors right off the bat.

So... Morrowind.

I've played all five although I don't think I really played Morrowind enough to consider it.

I loved the quest chains in Oblivion. Every faction had tonnes of quests, useful perks and an engaging storyline. In Skyrim, there just wasn't enough to each faction.

Skyrim probably had the weakest main story too. Especially the end, I won't spoil anything but it was really anticlimactic. Whereas in the two others that I finished (Oblivion and Daggerfall) you got a sense of the scale of what you were doing.

The redeeming factor for Skyrim, aside from the visuals, was the gameplay itself. The melee combat was much more engaging than it had been before. I think that magic worked better as well, having to equip it meant that you benefited more from being a dedicated mage than a warrior with a couple of spells.

All in all, I think I'd have to say I enjoyed Skyrim more.

overall i think morrowind and oblivion because you could do every thing and have every, but in skyrim with the new perk system and split quest lines, you cant have everything and with the level cap (80 i think) you cant get enough points to have every single perk.

• 5 weeks later...

Skyrim, but there are WAYYY too many glitches in it.

I shouldn't be able to shout without any cooldown,

be undetectable even if I'm standing RIGHT in front of someone,

kill someone with only one punch,

have infinite magicka,

infinite health,

and infinite stamina,

walk through rocks and go underneath the map,

open invisible chests that the developers forgot to remove,

and kill an elder dragon in one hit with an iron dagger.

And this is on the Xbox, with no mods or anything. 100% glitched.

I love the open RPG gameplay concept of the Elder Scrolls and the fact that it is not MMORPG (don't really like those as you can't really take a break and play whenever you want)

Morrowind - Was my introduction to the series. Brings back fond memories. Also, dark elves.

Oblivion - never played

Skyrim - Lots of new features as well as a larger world compared to Morrowind, but lots of bugs. The plots for most of the major questlines was well-written and diverse. The end of the main quest - anti-climatic.

I've actually only really played Morrowind. I have played a bit of oblivion and skyrim, but not nearly enough to pass judgement.

I have to say, though; Morrowind is one of the best damn RPGs in existence. From what I've heard, I highly doubt oblivion or skyrim are up to that level.

• 6 months later...

First a disclaimer: I searched for a thread like this, but I couldn't find one. So if there is one already I apologize.

Now, onto the real thread: A place where fans of the Elder Scrolls series on this site can discuss and post things

My story when it comes to the Elder Scrolls is that I started out with Morrowind back around 2003 or 2004, but I had watched my father play it quite a bit before that(since release). However, I never really got into the game since I was very young(only 19 now), but I did get into Oblivion when it came out. A couple of years later I managed to get a working xbox copy og Morrowind(which I still have and use) and gave the game another shot.

Now I am happily playing Skyrim(with the occational breaks when I play other games like Dragon Age, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout1&2&3&NV etc.) and I am a somewhat active member of the Bethesda Forums.

My favorite race have changed many times over the years. First was the Orc or Orsimer, but now it is currently the Imperial or Cyro-Nordic(which is the name I prefer to use).

Of the provinces I have seen I must say I like Skyrim the most. Cyrodiil as it was presented in Oblivion falls a bit short of the descriptions in the Pocket Guide to the Empire and how the Savants in Morrowind said it was, and I was a bit disappointed in the lack of cultural differences between the Colovians and the Nibenese. Morrowind ranks as my second favorite province.

In current events in Tamriel, by which I mean the Civil War in Skyrim, I think I can be considered to be more in favor of the Empire, but I don't find them to be that much better than the Stormcloaks in any way except one: They have a bigger army and they share the border with the common enemy; the Aldmeri Dominion.

So, the the ES talk begin :)

PS: Please keep the spoilers to a minimum for people who haven't done everything, wouldn't want to ruin their fun now would we? Of course, posting them in spoilerclams is a good way to do this.

Edited by Tdroid

I would go so far as to say Morrowind is one of the greatest games ever made. A pity the series went so downhill after it, with Bethesda deciding to cater to the action crowd instead of the RPG crowd :(

Ah well, Morrowind is still great, and with mods on top of its already immense customizability and open-worldedness, it never gets dull :)

• Brohoof 3

Oblivion> Skyrim.

Anyway, I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim, with Oblivion being my favorite. Oblivion was just alot more fun to me, I really don't know why. Skyrim seemed too easy, even on master difficulty, and the dungeons got really repetitive.

My favorite race has always been Redguard, the combat for them in usually one handed or one-handed and destruction which I really like. Also, their homeland, Hamerfell is a cool area if you ask me.

The only provinces that I actually have played in are Skyrim and Cyrodiil, and I find myself liking the scenery and setting of Skyrim more. As to the Civil War, I lean towards the Empire. The Stormcloaks are racists fascists who only care about themselves. The Empire, though i do not always see eye to eye with them, are fair to all races and have kept Tamriel in relative harmony for a lon time and I stand behind them. The death of Ulfric was a happy time for me.

I've played II, III, and V, but the farthest I've gotten in a game is on Daggerfall. I usually choose a nord in most of the game, but in Daggerfall you need to choose a High Elf to get the free immunity to paralysis, otherwise you can't survive against many of the enemies. I hope to get to playing Skyrim a bit more soon, but I never got much farther than the time when you get your dragon power. I'm hoping to try out the Pinkie Pie Skyrim mod one of these days. :lol:

I've played Olivion and Skyrim. Not Morrowind unfortunately. And i havn't even finished Oblivon, but i beat Skyrim heheh

My favorite Race... i really don't know. It depends on what kind of character u play. If u prefer melee it would be a Nord or Orc. Magic and melee it would be Imperial. Just magic i would go High Elf. Sneaking and Magic i would go Dark Elf. Archery, Wood Elf. A theif or sneaking character i would go Argonian or Khajiit. If i had to pick i guess i would go Nord. Maybe i'm baised. But whatever.

Oh and idk if u want to get me started on the whole Empire vs. Stormcloak debate. Many veterans would choose Empire because well, its the empire, if u played older games u are familair with it. But I've look at the lore and stuff, i have to go Stormcloaks. If u kowo the story the Empire is basically done. Its not even the Empire anymore. The emperor is a figure head while the Thalmor run evrything. The Aldmeri have control of it. If u Let them take Skyrim its over. I'm not saying the Empire is bad and all, its just corrupted. Ever since the Oblivion Crisis it aint the same Empire every knows and loves.

Well thats my Two bits on that. The next game will be focusing on more u vs. the Thalmor and Aldmeri Dominion. I wonder where it would take place though. It could be anywhere really.

Woah this turned into a long post. =/