S01:E01+E02 - Friendship is Magic

163 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

314 posts in this topic

Watched the first episode, thinking it was gonna be another stupid kids' show to calm me down, and hopefully bore me to sleep, but was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I loved the almost, 'fairy tale' style of the episodes. By the end of both episodes, I was completely convinced that it was not just a 'show that only little girls watch' afterwards. (Even though I am a little girl, but I'm not like 6 years old or anything, so I'm not that little, but still little in the sense that I'm under 18. Nevermind, please ignore this.)

Also, this is really stupid, but when I was introduced to Fluttershy, I almost cried because I felt like I finally found a character in a show that I could relate to. (I suffer from severe social anxiety.)

Watched the first episode, thinking it was gonna be another stupid kids' show to calm me down, and hopefully bore me to sleep, but was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I loved the almost, 'fairy tale' style of the episodes. By the end of both episodes, I was completely convinced that it was not just a 'show that only little girls watch' afterwards. (Even though I am a little girl, but I'm not like 6 years old or anything, so I'm not that little, but still little in the sense that I'm under 18. Nevermind, please ignore this.)

Also, this is really stupid, but when I was introduced to Fluttershy, I almost cried because I felt like I finally found a character in a show that I could relate to. (I suffer from severe social anxiety.)

I kind of went into it with the same mindset... that it was going to be a dumb show for little kids or something and the best i could hope for was a solid laugh before changing the channel and forgetting about it... however... I too was surprised. With the very first episode i was actually intrigued and enjoyed it enough to want to see another, and then another.. and it just snowballed from there. So you are not alone in thinking the show was probably gonna be crap, and then discovering it most certainly is not.

Strangely enough it was also Fluttershy who hooked me, although Twilight became the character I gravitated towards because of similarities.

I think the intro did a perfect job of laying out the basic history, introducing the characters and building a world that is still growing to this day.

2 people brohoof this

Once upon a time I was insecure about expressing my love for this show. I didn't know what people would think of me because of it. Then...I realized something...........I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FLUTTERSHY WHAT THEY THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MLP FIM LIFE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

large.png

4 people brohoof this

This episode got me into My Little Pony since I watched the 2nd Episode!

2 people brohoof this

My friends and peers were very confused when I informed them of my new passion for mlp. But you guys...you guys get it.

3 people brohoof this

Just rewatched the first four episodes with a friend (against his will, muah haha) and loved it even more. I also finally realized the whole episode is about being afraid of the dark/not wanting to go to bed. It only took me watching it 3 times for it to click :blush: . That made me like it even more since it's dealing with a real issue for it's target demo (ie, not me).

I'm rewatching the show and I just watched these two. as a note: i rewatched all the season premieres/finales lots of times but the rest of episodes just once except a few ones that i love (specially rarity's ones :pout: ), but only rewatched them before summer 2015.  so rewatching them all now 2017 its pretty new and refreshing, cause i dont remember a lots of them and less their jokes xD so i laugh like its new xD

I remembered this premiere a lil less childish and more fast-paced, but still I loved to see the begging of the show. btw Seasons 5&6 tend to be hated saying they differ from the first seasons but they feel so much elaborated than the first ones, I love them too.

I love how grumpy and anti social is twilight at first. Also a lil shady. Recent seasons have a so much more bland twilight which is a shame. At least now we have starlight that she is a bit like first seasons twilight xD

Celestia knew about the profecy and sent twilight to make friends so she could defeat nightmare moon. But how she knew she could defeat her just making friends? And couldn't Celestia herself make some friends and defeat her? :orly:  XD

Also Apple jack telling twilight to trust her and let go at the riff and nothing more. I'm like wtf just tell her that the Pegasus will catch you! XD also I realized how egocentric and annoying rainbow dash its since EP 1 ugh I can't stand her worst pony imo

And I love the painted intro so much. Very beautiful. I wish they made more flashbacks/legends told with that style.

I enjoyed watching the episodes again tho. Very nice<3

Edited by Tropico

It could have been a little better but it was good enough to keep me watching for 5 years. I would give it a 9/10.

I must be the only person it would seam that went in knowing it was not going to be stupid.
I only say this because I have never seen anything that Faust has done that was "Bad"
I have seen stuff I don't like. (Fosters, I know Sacrilege) But I openly aknolwedge that the show is brilliant. Just not my thing.

And I also kind of figured the show would have good world building.

And If you want to sell me on a show you need two things.

#1: A character I can relate to or sympathies with.

#2: WORLD BUILDING... 

On 30/03/2017 at 0:06 AM, princess_flutterpie said:

It could have been a little better but it was good enough to keep me watching for 5 years. I would give it a 9/10.

That episode alone wouldn't have kept me on for 5 years, the next episode though! Wow!

On 11/01/2017 at 4:36 PM, GoddessRarity said:

Once upon a time I was insecure about expressing my love for this show. I didn't know what people would think of me because of it. Then...I realized something...........I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FLUTTERSHY WHAT THEY THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MLP FIM LIFE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

large.png

Thats easier said than done...

I thought the first episode was alright. Not much else to say.

Cute. 

This is a pilot, so it was never gonna be the best episode to go back to, but even just watching this one episode does remind me of why I got into this show to begin with. The show doesn't feel like this anymore, and I think the high points of later seasons are definitely higher (excepting the finale, of course), but right now I'm feeling the urge to go back and re-watch the entire first three seasons all over again. The show can probably never be like this again, but I do wish it would find an alternative which allowed it to be as fun and relaxed as these early seasons. It just tries too hard lately. 

The characterization found here is a bit different from even later in this season, though. Rainbow Dash is less coarse, and Fluttershy is actually shy rather than cowardly. Twilight seems really disinterested in friendship until the end there, but even by that point she naturally takes her usual preachy leadership position. That said, Rainbow Dash already shows some of her subtler nuances, like not actually buying into her own boasting - when the Shadowbolts mention "the best flyer in Equestria," she assumes it's someone else. She's confident mainly because she knows what she's capable of, but she still has some modesty. I really don't think she gets enough credit. 

Plot-wise, this has a lot of fuzzy vagueness to it, and the worldbuilding is clearly just cute window dressing for a character-driven story, even though the "Nightmare Moon" mythology is quite fun on its own terms. I guess it's later episodes which made people so invested in the show's lore, because it's very lightweight and unimportant here. Definitely works for pushing Twilight towards friendship, though, and it puts the pieces in play for the season's character arcs. I bet Celestia made Twilight staying in Ponyville the new focus of her studies entirely because Twilight wouldn't stay otherwise, but later events imply she had some kind of plan... meh, I'll just choose to ignore that. 

Score:

Entertainment: 8/10

Characters: 9/10 (I mean, you've gotta give it credit for introducing everything.)

Themes: 8/10

Story: 7/10

Overall: 80/100

I am shocked that I hadn't voted for this one. 

Rated it a 3. 

The first episode was actually decent, it was the conclusion that was clunky and had some poorly constructed moments (like AJ's Honesty 'challenge')