• Search

Register now to remove this ad.

S01:E01+E02 - Friendship is Magic

Pilot Episode 1

• Please log in to reply
  • Go to first unread post
304 replies to this topic

Poll: S01:E01+E02 - Friendship is Magic (155 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like it?

1. No I hated it! >:( (3 votes [1.94%])

Percentage of vote: 1.94%

2. I didn't like it. (1 votes [0.65%])

Percentage of vote: 0.65%

3. Meh. It was ok. (23 votes [14.84%])

Percentage of vote: 14.84%

4. I liked it! (48 votes [30.97%])

Percentage of vote: 30.97%

5. I LOVED IT! <3 (80 votes [51.61%])

Percentage of vote: 51.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Lady Ice Dragon

Lady Ice Dragon

Cupcake

• Users

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

As I mentioned before in another thread, Pilot episodes are almost always different from the rest of the show. Pilots are a dry run, there are no expectations to meet, and no flaws have been discovered that need buffing. After the pilot is shown to the studio heads and a control group of normal television viewers, thats when notes are given and things start being changed. I can give you a prime example: The first episode of House. It's all sepia colored, House visits with his patient and waxes philosophical about how you can't die with dignity, there is no sexual tension between him and Cuddy, in short, it's an episode of House in name only. You can see the beginnings of the show as it was in its hey day starting from episode 2. And really, in a lot of ways, MLP:FIM is like that. Twilight, while still being the serious one, is NEVER that serious again. (Except for Lesson Zero, but thats a different story.) Pinkie Pie, while still sporadic and unpredictable, doesn't talk quite as fast as the first episode again. You see far less of the Apple Family, but thats explained as they were there for a reunion. Rarity becomes less about giving and more about being a fasionista and a drama queen. Rainbow is still shown laying around on clouds, but she doesn't really have to be goaded into doing things anymore, especially if its a chance to show off. And Fluttershy is no longer reduced to choked squeeking sounds just from meeting someone new. Characterization marches on.

Register now to remove this ad.

#22 hawkflame

hawkflame

Pony

• Users

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

I definitely liked the first episode, but frankly it didn't seem like the real "feel" of the show officially hit until episode 3...

#23 dj-soviet

dj-soviet

Muffin

• Users

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

i loved it, nice story realy exiting. :wub:

#24 HunterTSN

HunterTSN

Epic and so cool

• Users

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

I actually watched the Season 2 premiere first. Then I went back and watched season 1. The first episode is a lot better once you've seen some of the other episodes first.

#25 Ashbad

Ashbad

Ashbadger Don't Care

• Users

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

The first two episodes turned me off, but fortunately I watched past that before judging it. The pilots just seem overly moralistic and girly for my tastes, it got a lot better after them.

#26 Crazy Misty

Crazy Misty

Bird

• Users

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

I loved it when I first watched it but re-watching it, it's meh, I'm not saying it's terrible, but it just seems a bit...odd, like rainbow she felt horribly out of character (at least in episode 1) but it introduced the characters well so, yeah

#27 Viscra Maelstrom

Viscra Maelstrom

Princess

• Users

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

i, for one, find the pilot to be excellent. it does a terrific job at introducing everyone in the show, the pacing is excellent, and it gave me goosebumps all over when they were going to look for the Elements of Harmony. maybe i enjoyed it because it really reminded me of that one show called Winx Club, which was a terrific show and i fucking loved it to pieces. the pilot had the same kind of ominous atmosphere as that show, and i guess that's what drove me into it. to this day, i still consider it one of my favorite episodes ever. i love it to pieces.

#28 ⓡⓐⓘⓝⓓⓡⓞⓟⓢ

ⓡⓐⓘⓝⓓⓡⓞⓟⓢ

Butterfly

• Users

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

season 1 ep1 and ep 2
were very epic

Posted Image

#29 Endpol

Endpol

Cupcake

• Users

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I actually watched the Season 2 premiere first. Then I went back and watched season 1. The first episode is a lot better once you've seen some of the other episodes first.

I agree, the first time I watched it, it didn't really interest me as much as the other episodes of the series, but once I watched it again after finishing it, I liked it.

edit: I don't know why, but when I make a new post I don't notice the errors until after I post it :

Edited by Endpol, 06 April 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#30 Starbrose

Starbrose

Cupcake

• Users

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

When I watched the pilot I thought it was solid for a children's TV show but really didn't understand the hype around the show with the older demographics. Afterwards I went back and watched more episodes and then fell in love. I don't think the pilot is a good example of the quality behind MLP. That's true for most pilots however. But it serves as a good introduction to the mane 6.

#31 TwiForLife

TwiForLife

Parasprite

• Users

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

While this episode didn't live up to my expectations, for some reason I just kept watching. But in a way it felt weaker than some of the episodes later in the season.

#32 DozzyDash

DozzyDash

Parasprite

• Users

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

I loved part one of the pilot. but it felt like they forced an ending in part two too quickly. Like... I don't know. Like alot of people said, it WAS what got me into the show!

#33 Rainbow Dirk

Rainbow Dirk

Muffin

• Muffins

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

I;m gonna have to go with what most other people are saying - the first two episodes were not the best. It seemed too... i dunno, cheesy? Predictable? I can't quite put my hoof on it, but the episodes were just... off compared to others. I'm glad i stuck through, though!

#34 ~Chaotic Discord~

~Chaotic Discord~

A Legendary Poke'

• Subscribers

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

I liked the first two episodes, everything from the initial background about Celestia and Luna was great, and it was great presentation in my mind. That said, I do agree with Dozzy, it felt rushed to me. I don't think dragging the pilot through three parts would have been particuraly wise either, but yeah, I think it was kinda fast-paced at times.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~, 28 April 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#35 Nickoroni

Nickoroni

Muffin

• Muffins

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

I actually enjoyed it. It was actually very interesting, so I liked it. I am going to watch them all!

#36 FlutterShock

FlutterShock

Muffin

• Muffins

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Not even close to as good as the other episodes, in my opinion. But still a good intro.

#37 Jokuc

Jokuc

MLP Forums' #1 horror fan

• Subscribers

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hm I do not remember if I have posted here in the last five months.. ..nvm the thread had two pages and I have not. Anyways, I liked the first episodes when I first watched them and I actually like them more now when I watch them again :3 Because now I can sing along with pinkie! :)

Edited by Jokuc, 11 June 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#38 Apple-Jack

Apple-Jack

Butterfly

• Users

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

hmm the first and second episodes were good but the next episode are much more better!

#39 Gikkleslick

Gikkleslick

Cupcake

• Users

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

Eh, the first ones were my least favorite. I like the rest better, but the first ones still have a charm to them.

#40 Homura Akemi

Homura Akemi

Changeling

• Users

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

I wish the Elements of Harmony were real, in all honesty.

Recent blog entries on this topic

"Friendship is Magic (Pilot)" Review/Analysis

By Dark Qiviut in Dark Qiviut's Columns, on 28 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

Haven’t you ever felt like giving a fair review for episodes or movies that were the most nostalgic to you? That’s me as far as Friendship Is Magic, Parts 1 and 2 are concerned: They were the first two episodes I watched, and they officially made me into a brony. They’re not in my top ten, but they’re instilled into me, because without watching it, I wou...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users