282 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 2 weeks later...

To be perfectly honest, these are the only two episodes I've seen thus far and I chose not to read more than a few comments down as I was concerned about potential spoilers.

Here are my thoughts, first impressions of the series:

Pros

It was a lot of fun to watch. Some of it was downright comical, and I liked Spike from the first time I saw him. Spike cracks me up. I thought the characters right from the get-go were well-developed and planned, with distinct personalities. This isn't an old school bubble gum girl cartoon with cardboard characters and a lousy plot. This was well done. There was some thought put into this. As someone who recently jumped sides from hater to potential brony, it made me want to see more. It wasn't as off-putting as I always assumed it would be.

Cons

Pinkie Pie. Cannot stress this enough. Her overbubbly personality was amusing at first, but the pilot is about an hour long. After so long, you want to stuff one of Applejack's apples in her mouth and tell her to calm down and take a Ritalin.

Also, the antagonist. Nightmare Moon. She was referred to as both Princess Luna, The Mare in the Moon and Nightmare Moon (the latter two essentially being the same thing) and is set up as this big bad with a bitter heart who wants to plunge Equestria into complete darkness... then has a complete change of heart at the end. I just found that... rather odd.

I really like this show and am looking forward to learning more about it. I'm only two episodes in now, but I hope you guys will help me on my journey. By the end, I hope to be as devoted to this as the rest of you.

-Turtle

• Brohoof 2

After i watched all the older Gens completely and finally got to Friendship Is Magic i was exited! :)

After all that good stuff i heard i was first afraid that my expectations was to high and after MLP Tales won already my heart, i didnt believe G4 could be that amazing.

But i was almost wrong, G4 didnt beat MLP Tales but beated every other Gen so far.The new animationstyle and quality was amazing ( altough i personally think that the older designs looked better ) and the first Episode very got me there.

It was funny, it had old Characters, it had new ones and after G3 i was happy that the show finally had enemies again.

If i hadnt watched all the other gens, than G4 had made me a Bronie  :wub:

The Story was interesting, Nightmare Moon was a very cool new Enemy, altough the name in german sounds a little bit stupid " alptraumpferd " ...well,the english name is better  :lol:

The only thing i found disappointing was the quick fight in the end, if you can call that a fight...and that Nightmare Moon had forgive her sister, right after she gots beaten up.For someone who got banished for 1000 years, i would not forgive so fast or probably even forget what my sister looked like.

But the two Episodes were great and a cool reference to the first short movie, which i watched first  :squee:

If i could vote up, i would voten " loved it "  :D

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed about how weirdly fast Nightmare Moon/Luna is like I'm sorry~~!!  But whenever she's on screen, I'm usually too busy staring at her epicly cool character design to really think about that, lol.

I'm rewatching the whole series- just started.  Should be fun.  :D  I love this show. 

The first two episodes were quite enjoyable. I had just finished watching the documentary "Bronies" and decided to watch the first episode, just to calm my curiosity. I had been told of this fandom and I thought it quite queer (as J.R.R. Tolkien would use the term to describe something odd) although it always has been the odd and unexpected things of this life that excite me most! How the pilot episode is essentially two episodes I would say, I couldn't just watch the first half! 

As many of us now have said "and the rest is history" well quite frankly that is what happened.   :)  The characters personalities was such an attractive aspect and was one of the things that hooked me, that diversity. Storytelling has always been a favorite of mine and the writing is quite good on account this show was not intending to draw such an audience as it has. Furthermore, since my viewing of this pilot episode(s) and my love for the series overall, it really has a positive effect on my life which is neat because not many of my favorite films even have had this sort of effect on me. Perhaps the beautiful animation has something to do with it? :lol:

Anywho, great origin story to a wonderful world. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

First episodes got me hooked right away

Same with me, if it weren't for that episode, i would have never truly continued to watch the show! really, this episode was a turning point in my life haha

Was this the episode that got me into the series? Of course it was! Why would I not start with the first episode, am I right!? And I loved it at the time. However, after going much deeper into the show, you realize, eh, it's kind of-- dull. It's not really that much of a problem, as with the first episode (actually, the first couple), we can never truly figure out exactly what the show wanted to be. And now we know it's gonna take risks and take them well. Here, it's just a bit underdone. The first half does fine at introducing the characters, led to some pretty funny moments, and was just nice, but first the characters were slightly flanderized. It kinda needed to be that, though, in order to fit all thier main character triats into under 22 minutes, so I won't complain. Second, the rest of plot becomes predictble because of that. Twilight doesn't care about friends and just wants to complete the task, and along the way meets and get to know them, and Friendship becomes magic and all that stuff. It's still decent. But the second half falls apart and is just vague at times and stupid at others. (What does telling someone to fall to thier death represent honesty? What's with that sea serpent?) It picked up with an amazing climax, but that's really it. Overall, this episode's fine to start the series with, but is not very good to rewatch.

Final Verdict: Meh. It was ok.

I love this episode, but after re-watching it, I noticed how much more younger everyone is the sounded, (Especially Spike.), also if you look at the hourglass before Twilight is sent to Ponyville, and talking to Spike, she says "Nightmare Moon" and you can see a reflection of Nightmare Moon in it.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well this was one of the first episodes I've seen, but once I was finished with it I HAD to find out what happens next! So yeah I was hooked lol. :D And the show just got better from there!

Edited by Shadow Wind

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just joined this community out of suggestion from a friend and to begin with i'm not a huge fan of MLP but i am trying to get into it the reason i'm not a huge fan is because my first experience with this show was from a fan made video called Cupcakes and sufficed to say that kinda through me off but my friend kept nagging me so i'm trying again can someone reckomand where to start i would really appreciate the help?

I've just joined this community out of suggestion from a friend and to begin with i'm not a huge fan of MLP but i am trying to get into it the reason i'm not a huge fan is because my first experience with this show was from a fan made video called Cupcakes and sufficed to say that kinda through me off but my friend kept nagging me so i'm trying again can someone reckomand where to start i would really appreciate the help?

Sure! First just watch the show beginning to end.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok somebody pls answere me there is powerefull ponie or ruler then Celestia and Luna pls answere me!!

From my understanding Princess Celestia and Luna are the most powerful ponies in Equestria. No one has actually overthrown them as of yet (And I don't think Hasbro would do such a thing to the princesses anyway). Hope I answered your question!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this episode since it (they) were my first episodes and it told me all about the history of the two princesses so you wouldn't be scratching your head when you watched it. Nightmare Moon's design was awesome, and I loved the action.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked the first episode, aswell as the second. My favorite part must have been when they introduced Fluttershy. Her "shyness" actually made me cry xD

• Brohoof 2