Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Acceptable upload question

Dreamsong

I coudln't find a link to any info regarding what belongs on Pony.fm and what may be better suited elsewere.

• Is it only for MLP:FiM -themed songs?  (Or are mainstream songs by brony artists allowed?  If so, are mainstream songs tolerated but frowned-upon?  etc.)

• Are straightforward covers of songs from the show allowed?  Tolerated?  Frowned-upon?  (Especially with respect to vocal covers?  Vocal covers using pony-made Karaoke-tracks where the creator encourages others to use them?   etc.)

1) Pony.fm is strictly limited to MLP fan music. Even if you make non-pony music, Pony.fm isn't the place for it. Much of the site's strength will be founded on its exclusivity to pony tunes, so it just isn't the right place to be uploading non-pony work.

2) To be honest, I actually haven't thought much about this one. I think it's worth opening a wider discussion about the subject of covers. While I'd like the focus of Pony.fm to remain on remixes and original tracks, the true goal of the site is to be the brony music scene's one-stop outlet, and covers are definitely a huge part of the scene.

The exact definition of what constitutes a "cover" is blurry, too... for example, DusK has made a number of tracks like this one which he refers to as "metal covers," but are quite heavily reworked:

https://pony.fm/tracks/73-babs-seed-metal-cover

The idea of adding a taxonomy for covers came up once, but we never reached an outcome on whether there should be a distinction between covers and remixes because we couldn't reach a conclusion on the definition of either.

https://pony.fm/tracks/226-celestias-ballad-cover

With all that said and done, I think well-made covers, like this one ^, definitely have a place on Pony.fm. While they aren't fan music, strictly speaking, they're definitely pony, and there's definitely an audience for them.

• Brohoof 2

What about podcasts? They are technically audio, albeit not songs, but still can be pony related?

Pony.fm is a music hosting platform. As such, podcasts are not permitted at this time. They wouldn't be difficult to add in as they are audio files like any other, but Pony.fm is a pony music hosting site, not a pony audio hosting site.

It might be something I add in the future depending on demand, but it isn't something I want to focus on or try to advertise to people at this time.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

1) Pony.fm is strictly limited to MLP fan music. Even if you make non-pony music, Pony.fm isn't the place for it. Much of the site's strength will be founded on its exclusivity to pony tunes, so it just isn't the right place to be uploading non-pony work.

2) To be honest, I actually haven't thought much about this one. I think it's worth opening a wider discussion about the subject of covers. While I'd like the focus of Pony.fm to remain on remixes and original tracks, the true goal of the site is to be the brony music scene's one-stop outlet, and covers are definitely a huge part of the scene.

The exact definition of what constitutes a "cover" is blurry, too... for example, DusK has made a number of tracks like this one which he refers to as "metal covers," but are quite heavily reworked:

https://pony.fm/tracks/73-babs-seed-metal-cover

The idea of adding a taxonomy for covers came up once, but we never reached an outcome on whether there should be a distinction between covers and remixes because we couldn't reach a conclusion on the definition of either.

https://pony.fm/tracks/226-celestias-ballad-cover

With all that said and done, I think well-made covers, like this one ^, definitely have a place on Pony.fm. While they aren't fan music, strictly speaking, they're definitely pony, and there's definitely an audience for them.

Thank you Feld0!  (I'm sorry it took me so long to reply -- I didn't see that it had been answered! : )

I very much agree with you -- I'd prefer to have like a radio-station kind of thing where I could listen to pony-themed originals and well-done remixes, (and yes, Babs-seed-metal-cover is so evolved from its original form, I'd also totally call that far more original than "cover." : )

Oooch!  That was such a lovely cover of Celestia's Ballad!  I totally agree with you that there would be a place in my playlist for great covers like that one -- though I know straight vocal covers aren't for everyone.  (Maybe one of the many settings in the Pony.fm user-control-panel would be to choose to play vocal covers or to not?)