Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Good Steam games for 25$ and under?

Awesome Dashie

(edited)

Hey guys, I have 25$ and I'd like to buy a steam game, and I have no idea what to buy, so I come to you guys/girls. :3 Extra info: I mostly play MW2 and TF2 on steam, so preferably the FPS genre but I'm willing to try new games. And, if a game is like 30$ I'll spend the extra 5. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Artemis
tags;prefix

(edited)

Garry's Mod, Half Life, Counter Strike: Source, Counter Strike: GO, and 1.6, and Half Life 2.

These are just some of the games I play. And they are all under $25.

Edited by Wubsie
  • Brohoof 4

Probably should have noted what games I already own XD Okay well, I already have Garry's Mod, Counter Strike: Source, Every CoD through CoD 4 to MW3, Left 4 Dead 2, GTA IV, Tribes: Ascend, and TF2. So, anyways, thanks for the suggestions.

(edited)

Killing Floor, any of the Fallouts, Metro 2033, Half Life 1 or 2, ArmA 2(currently, the entire package for ArmA 2 is on sale for 20 USD until March 12th, you lucky bastard; ArmA 2 Combined Ops was, like, 30-40 USD when I decided to buy it :I).

Just some games I really enjoy off the top of my head. All under 25 USD

Edited by Андрей
  • Brohoof 2

@Awesome Dashie

This thread was more suitable for Media Discussion... so I moved it there!

If you're looking for a good FPS, check out Red Orchestra 2. It's a WWII game with the Germans and the Soviets being the only two sides you can play as, which isn't done very often. RO2 also requires more teamwork and caution than a lot of other modern FPS games since more often than not you're dead if you take a single bullet to the torso. A good change of pace, I think. Give it a look. We even have a thread for it.

On a completely unrelated note, check out FTL - Faster Than Light while you're at it. It's a roguelike, RTS but seems to appeal to plenty of people, even those who don't normally go for those kinds of games. The soundtrack is fantastic too.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

FPS under 25$, eh? I have the perfect suggestion for you.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD. 10$.

This sadly-underrated game is an FPS, though it's very far from your typical one. You take in bounties, and can buy upgrades and such with the money you get from doing so. You can take the enemies in dead, but barely get anything for it. The fights are interesting, because instead of just charging in guns blazing, you can go the stealth route and attempt to incapacitate your enemies before they notice you so you can take them in alive.

If you buy it, don't worry about the fact it's in a series. Even if you've never played any of the other games in the series, it won't matter because the plot isn't connected to the previous games.

Or there's the always-classic Half-Life 1 and its expansions.

Non-FPS games I'll suggest: Ys I and II Chronicles+ (15$): Classic action RPGs. They're also underrated. Some people call the bump-based combat system "outdated", though I don't see the problem with it. Ys: The Oath in Felghana (15$) is another game in the series, is more "modern", and if the other one's "oldness" scares you off, you could give it a try.

Edited by King K. Roop
  • Brohoof 2

There's a really good Brothers In Arms pack that gives you all 3 games for only $20. There's also Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2, which I honestly prefer to the rest of the series. If you like most of Valve's games I highly recommend the Portal series, though the first one is a lot cheaper.

And I don't know if this kind of game is up your alley, but NiGHTS is another good game, I'm personally enjoying it a lot

I would recommend buying Metro 2033. Myself i think it is one of the most exciting and best gaming experience i have ever had.

Metro 2033 costs 14,99€, and it really is worth the money!

There is also gonna be a sequel to the game, that is gonna release in May.

Half-Life

Half-Life: Opposing Force

Half-Life: Blue Shift

Half-Life 2

Garry's Mod (Be warned, it might cost more than twenty because there are many source games that add content to it, and unless you already have some source games, you might want to get some)

(edited)

If you're a fan of FPSs, you owe it to yourself to play Half Life and Half Life 2 (and the episodes).

I find that Half Life 2 is easier to get into, and it's easily in my personal top 5 best games of all time.

They Bleed Pixels is a beat 'em up platformer, done in an 8bit style, with a lot of dark themes (and a lot of Lovecraftian imagery). It's a fun and very well made game.

If you're okay with non-steam games, keep reading:

If you go to gog.com, they have tons of older games, mostly between $5 and $20. You can get Unreal Tournament 2004, a fantastic FPS and arguably the best in the series, for $10. Plenty of classic there, too. System Shock 2 (the spiritual precursor of Bioshock) just got added recently. Alpha Centauri, one of the best turn based strategy games ever made. Fallout and Fallout 2, some of the best RPGs out there. The list goes on and on. All of them are DRM free, too.

You might want to check out Mechwarrior 4, which is available free from mektek.com (might be .net). It's a great mech simulator from the early 2000's, and they re-released it for free a few years ago to generate hype for Mechwarrior Online.

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 1

If you're looking for a good FPS, check out Red Orchestra 2. It's a WWII game with the Germans and the Soviets being the only two sides you can play as, which isn't done very often. RO2 also requires more teamwork and caution than a lot of other modern FPS games since more often than not you're dead if you take a single bullet to the torso. A good change of pace, I think. Give it a look. We even have a thread for it. On a completely unrelated note, check out FTL - Faster Than Light while you're at it. It's a roguelike, RTS but seems to appeal to plenty of people, even those who don't normally go for those kinds of games. The soundtrack is fantastic too.

Okay, I'm thinking Red Orchestra 2. Looks pretty good! And for the Faster than Light game, my friend has that and has tried to get me into it but I just don't see the appeal. Haven't decided yet, but RO2 is looking good.

ArmA 2: Combined Operations is on sale now for $12. I would get that, it's too good a deal to pass up. The two DLC packages are on sale for 4.99 each I believe, so even with the DLC it only comes in at $22.

• Brohoof 1

Gmod+CS:S, great combo and the best way to play the gamemode Trouble in Terrorist Town, also ARMA 2 complete collection is on sale for $19.99, so unless your computer isn't good enough, buy it, and get the DayZ mod (free) for it, be warned though, it has complicated controls.

I can't recommend the Mass Effect games highly enough, though right now you're probably better off buying the $60 trilogy bundle on Amazon.

If Steam's all you got, though, then I recommend (in no particular order):

Fallout 3

New Vegas

Knights of the Old Republic 1&2

Metro 2033

Dragon Age: Origins

Spec Ops: The Line ($30)

Splinter Cell 1

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

(Pandora Tomorrow isn't on Steam, but I still recommend it. Double Agent and Conviction are terrible, don't buy them.)

CoD 1&2

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

And some other stuff, but the list was getting too long, and you're probably only going to pick one or two from the list anyway. :P

-Psychonauts

-Bioshock

-Garry's Mod

-The Walking Dead

-Half Life

I recommend a lot Psychonauts, amazing game, it's a must play.

And The Walking Dead is $25 exactly, you can pick it up if you want.

Well I personally enjoyed Portal 1 and 2, and would suggest getting them. But note, it can get rather difficult, so if you don't like hard games I wouldn't suggest buying it than. Second choice would be Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas.

Yeah, I considered the Portal games, but I have them on the console so I figured I would try to avoid them, even though the PC version has custom content. Anyways, I ended up buying Red Orchestra 2, so thanks to anyone who helped me here. Even though I've found what I wanted, anyone who has an idea should still post for future reference or to help others. Thanks to everyone!

Give Unreal II a shot. (Not Unreal Tournament, just Unreal.)  It's almost a prototype for games like Mass Effect, in a way.  Yes it's an older game, so the graphics aren't top-notch, but the weapons are fun, the story is rather neat, and you have a cool little ship to fly around the galaxy in with a crew you get to know along the way.

System Shock 2 isn't out for Steam *yet* but it will be soon, and it's also in the older game, graphics-not-so-great category (though there are mods that help with that) and it is one of the CREEPIEST games ever made.  Doom 3, Deadspace, they all have to tip their hats to this masterpiece.  Bioshock is the spiritual successor to this game, and if you played it and enjoyed it, you owe it to yourself to try SS2.

Antichamber is pretty great if you're looking for extremely weird puzzle games. You didn't say so, but if you're ever in the mood to have no idea what's going on then it's a great choice.

I personally found it a bit too short and easy, but the other parts made up for it.

Bioshock, portal 2, half life, Gary's mod, amnesia the dark descent, fallout 3,faster than light, and a bunch of indie games that are really good. Read some reviews and find a game where you can really lose yourself in the story.

Another one which is pretty cool is Mount & Blade: Warband. The graphics plain suck compared to a lot of the titles above but the combat is fun, singleplayer and online. There doesn't feel like there's as much to do as in some games, however, until you start getting into it more. (The lower graphics are also good for those, like me, who have absolutely awful computers... I can't even play a lot of more intensive games)

I still say get ArmA 2: Combined Operations if you're at all interested in military stuff, because there's so much to do in that game, and there are tons of great mods as well.