Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash..I guess

Blaaaze

Sooo..to be honest, I facepalmed, when I finished her. I still want to share this with you! I have tried to draw a pony with semi-realistic body structure and anatomy. I failed miserably, but anyway here she is) 

Tell me what you think, and I will see you on monday with(hopefully) a better drawing

post-13304-0-80439500-1362851081_thumb.png

Hope you enjoy this and tell what you think!

• Brohoof 5

I'm not much of an artist however what you've made does look nice. I know that you [kind of] went for realism when you made this however I think that is a part of the problem. MLP is supposed to be cartoony and simplistic (at least that's how I perceive it) and trying to make it deep and realistic simply won't work out well...

Pros:

+Colors look nice

+Shape looks good

Cons:

-A bit too tall

-Wings are kind of big in proportion to her body

Good job though :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm not much of an artist however what you've made does look nice. I know that you [kind of] went for realism when you made this however I think that is a part of the problem. MLP is supposed to be cartoony and simplistic (at least that's how I perceive it) and trying to make it deep and realistic simply won't work out well...

Pros:

+Colors look nice

+Shape looks good

Cons:

-A bit too tall

-Wings are kind of big in proportion to her body

Good job though :)

Thanks for your reply^^ I spent a hay lots of time trying to make a semi realistic pony, and, as I mentioned above, I facepalmed!) I guess you're right, that she's supposed to be cartoonish, and that's why I failed) well you can't fail without trying, but the same goes for achieving success)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well I wouldn't say you failed :). Though you have to keep in mind when MLP and characters like Rainbow Dash and the others were still just concept art they were being drawn as cartoons - if they were going for a more realistic look than I think the show would look totally different. So in other words: they were never even meant to be realistic so even re-imagining them as such is kind of hard - since so many fans already know what MLP is supposed to look like.

Edited by DarkEly
  • Brohoof 1

This is good! The only things I would say is that her back legs are a little off, and her eye seems a little high on her head, but other than that its really good! Keep it up!

• Brohoof 1

Well I wouldn't say you failed :). Though you have to keep in mind when MLP and characters like Rainbow Dash and the others were still just concept art they were being drawn as cartoons - if they were going for a more realistic look than I think the show would look totally different. So in other words: they were never even meant to be realistic so even re-imagining them as such is kind of hard - since so many fans already know what MLP is supposed to look like.

oh well..) I didn't mean to make people reimagine it, I mostly did it for myself, and i don't really know what else to add here) anyhay, thanks for your reply and have a wonderfull day :lol:

This is good! The only things I would say is that her back legs are a little off, and her eye seems a little high on her head, but other than that its really good! Keep it up!

Thanks! I am glad I still get positive answers on that) Yeah, I guess I didn't learn enough of horses anatomy to replicate the rear legs..) 

Thanks for your feedback and keep an eye out^^ the more I draw the more I improve!)

• Brohoof 1

I kinda like the long legs and wings on it, plus it looks like she has a wet mane. <3

Plus the colors are great and eye popping, and it's not too bad.

• Brohoof 1

I kinda like the long legs and wings on it, plus it looks like she has a wet mane. <3

Plus the colors are great and eye popping, and it's not too bad.

I melted, when I saw that poor little crying RD on your avatar :(, anyhay, thanks for your colorfull feedback Such feedbacks inspire me to do more of theese drawings)

(edited)

Getting better. ^.^
I'm liking that you're moving a little out of your comfort zone, and trying something new, by mixing up the pony topic a little. It's good to be learning how to vary your work and capabilities.

From what I can see here, much is going quite well. Lets see if I can structure this response. xD

Body:
The anatomy isn't bad, but several things are rather off ( :P) The wings are far too long, and I think the eye is a little too big. The head could be slightly shorter and longer, and the ear could be pulled down some.
The legs are rather good, but a little too rubbery. Reminds me of a slime. xD

Colour & Shading:
The colour scheme is fine, but it feels a little like she's blending into the background again.
Some portions of her body are affected by lighting(shaded and such), but some aren't.  This gives the image an unfinished look, which, of course, isn't good. xD
The lighting used on her front area makes the body look shiny. Whilst this isn't really a big point, it is important to know what kind of texture it is that you're applying light and shade to, as different textures give off vastly different reflections.

Several lights and shades are not working with each other correctly, and it leaves the image looking jumbled and confusing.
Before going onto the shading phase of a drawing, use some lines/arrows on a fresh layer to determine where you want a light source to be coming from, and how strong you want it to be. By doing this, you will find it easier to know what parts of the drawing to illuminate, and what to shade.

Placement:
It's really good to see that you have used more of the canvas for your drawing. Glad to be able to actually see the pony. xD
However, you've managed to chop off the wing. When sketching out a drawing, make sure it all fits onto the canvas. If you run out of room, just move the sketch around to fit or go into the image settings(usually in a tab across the program top) and increase the size of your canvas to accommodate your entire drawing.
Making an overly large canvas when drawing is fine, and I find that it's always better to draw your elements(parts of a drawing) and then worry about fine placements and canvas sizes.

-----------

Still, you've gotten better, and it's good to see you constantly applying yourself. Really, that's the only way to truly get better at anything. Don't worry if your work doesn't seem all that amazing at first, as it is about how much you push yourself to improve that counts.

These are things I myself have trouble working out and applying too, so never feel like you're the only person left out. ^.^

Edited by Akoura
  • Brohoof 2

Body:

Yeah, I'm gonna agree on everything except for the wings) As I have read in some anatomy guides winges can be 2x or 2.5 times the size of the body, while spread^^~

Now that you say that..I think the eye IS too bigxD oh anime..I still have that issue when eyes take half of the face:D

use some lines/arrows

That's something that can help me out a lot! I always have trouble applying shadows :lol:

Placement:

I followed your advice, but that tiny bit of the wing didn't fit in( I will be working tomorrow on a fluttershy drawing and will try something else, so, as always I'd like you to check it out, cause I get lots of useful advice from you)

Thanks a lot and have a wonderful day -_-  

• Brohoof 1

It looks like she'll have to clean her wings every now and then from all that dragging across the floor. Other than that, I think it looks great.

It looks like she'll have to clean her wings every now and then from all that dragging across the floor. Other than that, I think it looks great.

her wing is spread, so she doesn't always have her wing dragging on the ground) Thanks for your feed back and I'm glad you like it

• Brohoof 1

The body anatomy is wrong, but I can see you were not trying to make it show like. I think the wings are a bit big, but otherwise it looks good. What program did you use?

• Brohoof 1

The body anatomy is wrong, but I can see you were not trying to make it show like. I think the wings are a bit big, but otherwise it looks good. What program did you use?

Paint tool Sai!) Also i sometimes use corel paint and photoshop cs6) That's about it) Now I just have to fill my post with something cause of 100 characters)

Thanks for your feedback