Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

are you smart ?

omran97

Well, labeled 'autistic' and having social anxiety for most of my life has lead people to assume that I'm stupid.

So maybe I am?

I honestly don't know...some people say that I'm smart, but I really doubt it...I honestly think that I might be pretty stupid and I just get lucky one I bring up good points every once in a while.

It also seems like people have different perspectives about what qualifies as 'intelligent' and there are just too many for me to take into consideration.

I've been told by my teachers that I'm very smart,  I hate to brag about it though, like my physics teacher says nobody likes an intellectual snob.  I grasp mathematical and scientific concepts really easy, but I'm always willing to help people who are struggling.  I think we are all smart in different ways, I am good with math and science but I'm absolutely horrible at being creative.  

Smart can mean a lot of things. I'm going to throw my IQ score out there and tell you I'm a 128 so I'd say I'm pretty bright in that respect.

But, like I said, smart can mean a lot of things. For instance, when it comes to heavy machinery, I'm not smart. My dad is a farmer and he can take apart most of his machines and put them together again. 

When it comes to sports, I'm not that smart. In fact, I suck at sports. I know the rules, but I'm just not good. 

But when it comes to computers, most everyone in my family asks me about it first. I'm a good troubleshooter and problem solver.

When it comes to numbers, I can do a lot of what i do in class in my head faster than I can type it on a calculator. I've always been good with numbers and patterns. 

I was once being tested for Asperger syndrome and as a result of the test, I was told my mental processing speed was in the 90th percentile. 

So while I'd say I'm smart, I'm not so bright in certain areas. It's just because the way I think is different. Everybody is smart in their own way.

Well, I've been told I'm smart and "clever"... whatever the hell that means.
I don't think it means anything.
I never did particularly well at school, but I've always had a knack for picking up new skills and learning stuff pretty quickly, especially musical instruments. I'm a multi-instrumentalist, and I currently play five different instruments: guitar, bass, drums, kantele, and piano. I'm also interested in learning cello, accordion, and sitar. All in due time.
For what its worth, I also dabble in visual arts. Drawing, painting, sculpting, and whatnot.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

I like to believe myself as a person of moderate intelligence. Not dumb, but not super smart. Somewhere in the middle. I have the solution to the simplest of problems, but have to think and figure out solutions to more difficult problems.

Edited by SmartyPants
  • Brohoof 1

The term "smart" is relative. I thought I was smart when I was in elementary. I thought I was smart when I was in middle school. I thought I was smart when I was in high school. When I got to college, I realized that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. As people gain more life experience, they tend to become smarter. So what if I have a college degree? So what if I have a good understanding of computers and technology? There are so many things I haven't experienced such as buying a house, buying a car, or having a career. You can perceive yourself as smart, but you might not be as smart as you think.

I am definitely smarter than I used to be, but I still have a long way to go. There are always opportunities to become smarter than you currently are.

Edited by LED Dasher

I think smart is a little subjective really. But i assume we're talking academically.

And well, i have people tell me i'm smart, but i'm in regular ed, so idk. 

I'm not very smart in English, nor spanish really, language isn't and never has been my thing really. Not that i'm terrible, but not anything great. My handwriting is also awful, some of the worst you'll ever see. And wasn't even able to spell alot of stuff till 7th grade.

My parents actually thought i was Dyslexic for a while, but i'm not to my knowledge ;p.

On the other hand, i'm pretty decent at most other subjects, able to get B's and A's depending.

Math is probably the subject that comes easiest to me, i never have to study, and still get A's and B's typically.

I also pick up music well as i'm in band and play the trumpet, but thats not really academic. 

On the flipside, i don't think i'm very creative frankly,(Atleast in my eyes i feel really bland and boring as far as creative, which sucks :/) and i have crap for common sense, aswell as crap for social skills.

So again, smart is kinda relative. If being an A-B student mostly is considered smart(While being in regular ed) then sure.

I'm stupid. (Almost) Everyone I know would agree. The only people that would say otherwise are my parents and my girlfriend, but really, they're just trying to cheer me up.

I used to do great in school but now I'm several years behind in some subjects. Some would say it's because I have a depression, and while that probably makes it worse, I don't believe that it's the only reason to it.

I'm quite booksmart, and test extremely well. I got a 35 on my ACT, and a 2310 on my SAT, which is really high, along with being a 3.87 student in all APs. Although that's not to say that I don't have ditzy, vapid moments sometimes!  :lol:

I think most people who know me well would describe me as extremely perceptive in some areas and tremendously oblivious in others. At least in school, people have generally thought of me as being smart. Always was solid in math, decent at writing and had an alright memory for history. Due to being a compulsive procrastinator, having the attention span of a frightened puppy and my extremely selective memory, my grades haven't always reflected this, unfortunately :unsure:. I've done better when I've accepted that I don't know nearly as much as I'd like, and opened my mind to the possibility of figuring things out in different ways.

• Brohoof 1

Smart? Well I don't think so. I think I'm average or a little under.

I've always felt like everyone was smarter than me, or I can't answer a simple question sometimes. I'm not sure, but smart is a long shot for me.

• Brohoof 1

I am above average.

Problems ususally get solved fast and my grades are around 5 and 6. (out of six)

When we think socially.... Sadly I am  not good at talking to people.......  :(

Edited by CrayZ

I guess you could say I'm pretty intelligent. I don't consider myself to be that smart, rather than just have a vast sea of knowledge. I mean, people do consider me smart, but really? I just like to learn things. Anyone can do that, it's just that many lack the interest in learning. 

• Brohoof 1