Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do YOU live a double life, as a brony?

iLegovideo

Do you live a double life, as a brony?  

107 users have voted

1. 1. Do you live a double life, as a brony?

• Yes, with exceptions.
    • No, with exceptions
    • Yes, no exceptions.
    • No, no exceptions.
  2. 2. Do you regret having a second life?

• No, but I do want to watch the show in peace.
    • Yes, but it's not that bad.
    • I don't have a second life.
  3. 3. If you could, would you go back in time and stop the moment you found out about MLP?

• Yes (explain below please)
    • No (explain below please)
  4. 4. Did it take a person to convince you to tell other people that you're a brony?

• Yes. (Please specify who/relationship to you)
    • No/not yet.
  5. 5. How hard was it to tell the first person that you're a brony?

• Hard. (Please explain)
    • Moderately hard. (Please explain)
    • Easy. (Please explain)
  6. 6. Did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do?

• Yes (Please explain)
    • No, but something else happened. (Please explain)
    • Nothing changed.
  7. 7. In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What are the disadvantages set for you?

• Yes. (Please explain all questions)
    • No.

Well, this is for the bronies that may or may not be hiding from the rest of the world. I do have some confessions to make though, surrounding the topic. I have been an undercover brony before. When I first was watching the show, I was surprised that I liked it. My sister was there when I watched it because we were sleeping downstairs. Immediately, I hid all signs that I liked MLP. Fortunately for me, school didn't start yet. It was the summer of 2012, by the way. This system worked...until my mom got mad at me for "insulting" her muffins. She commented that I was eating them like dinner. I said "This is Pinkie's dinner, but needs to be cooler by 20%." That's when she snapped. She got MAD at me not because of a reference, but because she thought that I was INSULTING her muffins. When she asked what I meant, I didn't explain because I was afraid of judgement, and so I said "you wouldn't understand". Worst mistake ever. She went on rage mode. I quickly ran out of the house and into the nearest tree. Eventually, my sister found me and comforted me. Then, she asked me one question. That question was "Why don't you watch the show in secret?" I responded, "I don't want to be afraid anymore." Ironically, that day was the first day I watched MLP in broad daylight. I guess I owe it to my sister for asking the question, or else I may have never come out. Thanks sis. Love ya :). I suppose it takes a bit more than courage for one to say that they are a brony, but it takes the right conditions. Well, enough about me. What are your personal status on being a brony right now? Undercover? Active? Don't forget to answer the poll above!

Best wishes, 

~David

• Brohoof 3

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

I've never hid it, more or less, I had no reason to ever hide the fact I'm a brony from anybody. I wouldn't recommend doing that either because it sounds like stress would build up.

I quickly ran out of the house and into the nearest tree. 

I know that sometimes life can be tough, but running directly into a tree might end up hurting both you and the tree in the long run, so I don't recommend it.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I do. And when the night arrives, I change my identity into... THE BRONY!

I dress as a pony and hug and spread love and tolerance to criminals in Ponham City. 

Edited by Soundgarden
  • Brohoof 3

I can't answer all these questions because nobody outside the internet knows that I am a brony. You might want to add a N/A (not applicable) answer for questions 5 and 6, then more people (including myself) will be able to vote.

Yes, I do. And when the night arrives, I change my identity into... THE BRONY!

I dress as a pony and hug and spread love and tolerance to criminals in Ponham City. 

Looooollll..... You know, you have MANY other doppelgangers that will join you. Except this one is on DAY AND NIGHT. Well, you might be charged with potentual kidnapping and forced screening.

• Brohoof 1

Being a Brony is just part of who I am. I don't hide anything about myself. Much less a love for a tv show. I had more problems when my parents discovered my political beliefs. (take a guess at what they are). Which they eventually got over. I told my friends about the show. They laughed at me until we went to Hot Topic and they were like "oh ...your serious". Now one of them is a brony with me :D. I can however understand why some people need to hide it as their environment may not ... allow them to be open about it. I have lived my life with to many "What ifs" so I no longer hide anything about myself. I would not want to change the moment i became a Pegasister because it was so awesome. I was bored ... trolled netflix found MLP and as soon as the title music started I was like:

profile_picture_by_ponybreakout-d5asqo9.

• Brohoof 2

I can't answer all these questions because nobody outside the internet knows that I am a brony. You might want to add a N/A (not applicable) answer for questions 5 and 6, then more people (including myself) will be able to vote.

Oh, all right. I suppose there are some questions that have some N/As... lol, didn't think about that. Well, I'll fix that. Thanks for pointing that out!

I never hid anything about it. I read about MLP on Memebase, I watched all the episodes and then I told my parents about it. Now pretty much everyone knows. MLP is the best thing that has happened to me in my entire life. I didn't have any problems with it.

I'm a bit saddened that a topic like this exists, but that's the reality of the world we live in I guess. Publically acknowledging your brony-ness makes large segments of the population assume certain things. I think we all know about that.

The way we fight that is by proving them wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt. How did I handle it? Well, for one thing, when I announced my brony status, I didn't make a big deal out of it or start pushing it on anyone. (Basically, anyone who wanted to find out did, and anyone who didn't was free to ignore it.)

After that, if anyone you know doubts you or insults you, respond by accentuating the positive. Explain exactly what it is that makes the show appealing. Drop the "It's just really good, you know, like Pixar movies" line and watch the hater curl up into a ball. Invite the doubters to experience the show like you did and really give it a chance. Above all, project self-confidence in the face of doubt and make it clear that you will NOT be ashamed of what you like no matter what anyone says. 

The doubters will be silenced when you do that. You might even win a few of them over. We can change the dynamic and eliminate the stigma and baggage that comes with the term "brony", but this is the only way to do it... one doubter at a time. I've certainly done my part. :)

• Brohoof 1

No I don't live any kind of double life because I seriously don't care who knows or dosen't know, when the subject does come I fess up but other than that and occasionally wearing my Discord shirt I really don't say much of anything except for on here of course. This was of course a positive experience for me because I got introduced to a great show with a creative and friendly community and it is a nice escape and though it hasn't really solved all my problems does help a little with my depression and anger by reminding me that life isn't all about disappointments and getting screwed over.

• Brohoof 1

Not really.

I mean I don't go wih a big sign or go around saying "hey I'm a brony". But at the same time I don't hid it.

In other words I try no to be too "hey look at me", but at the same time I don't hid it or feel ashamed about it.

Yes, with exceptions. If dropping references here and there counts as one. Not that anyone around here would get them.

Do you regret having a second life?

Yes, but it is not that bad. I hate having to keep it to myself, especially when I've watched a new episode but can't tell it to anyone. Sometimes it also depresses me.

If you could, would you go back in time and stop the moment you found out about MLP?

No. Although it didn't make life any easier as MLP gave me another life to take care of, I don't regret my decision at all.

Did it take a person to convince you to tell other people that you're a brony?

No/Not yet. First, there is no one to convince me as I am the only brony around where I live. Believe me, after dropping references all over the place for over a year, I am 100% positive that the place I live is devoid of any other bronies/pegasisters. Second, I have no friends which I would trust with this IRL, so.....

How hard was it to tell the first person that you're a brony?

Kinda hard to answer this question if I haven't told anyone yet....

Did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do?

No one knows, so.....

In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What are the disadvantages set for you?

Yes, very positive. It helped me mature a lot, on many levels. I now also have the feeling that I actually belong to something, and that there's actually people who would care about it if you would feel bad. 

Edited by WhiteLightning

Do you live a double life, as a brony? - no, but the times there are exceptions such as my family trying to enter my room

do you regret having a second life? - i don't have one

did it take a person to convince you to tell other people that you're a brony? - i did it myself

how hard was it to tell the first person that you're a brony? - it was really hard due to the fact that i was afraid of rejection

did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do? - yes because of what respect i did have started to go down because of the stupid stereotyping

has it made positive things happen - yes it has due to the fact it has made me tolerate people alot more and also it stopped me from having a short temper

When i first started watching the show it was a secret.  Then i told my best friend because we tell each other almost everything and she has known weirder things about me before so i knew i wouldnt be judged. Then  i told my brother and then i was just like buck it i'm just coming all the way out of the closet its more fun being outside anyway.

Now im open about it all and wear pony stuff all the time at first my mom was like "isnt that show for little girls?" and i was like "yeah but i have some friends that watch it to and its actually pretty awesome!" so she got over it and doesnt care anymore.  

It's way easier to be open about then to hide it (but then again i'm a girl so its probably different for you male bronies) and it seems like i get mostly positive responses (with a few exceptions) but the exceptions are usually people i dont care about. So overall to me it is pretty awesome to be an open brony  :D

Yes I do, because if people found out IRL they would beat me up, kill me and urinate on my corpse. So no, I don't regret having a second life when it comes to people I'm simply forced to be with.

As for family, I hate that I have to hide it from my mom, and I freak out every time I see her walking by my room because I have to close all tabs and everything related to MLP just in case she decides to walk in. Sometimes I get outright angry because of this. But that's the way it has to be. It's still better than telling her and running the risk of her not liking her only son anymore.

I wouldn't go back in time because MLP has made me a lot more tolerant towards those who deserve it, and I've become more open to things I hated before. I started learning how to make music because of a MLP game project I got involved in, and also a bit about programming. I also made a friend because of this, although he's getting busier and busier because of life, so I think I have yet to find a brony friend.

I have only told about this my internet friends (well I don't have real friends so this is stupid anyway) when I finally got bored of it, and I told them if they don't accept it, they're free to kick me out of the "team". They didn't, and I promised not to ever bring up MLP again, which was difficult to do, since one of the former "members" (We sometimes make let's plays and other random cr*p on youtube) started sending me explicit MLP stuff to troll me. I got angry at him, but so did everyone else, and upon realizing that, he left.

So overall it has been a positive experience, although I WANT MOAR!!!11! And I can't wait to be finally done with all the very long-term projects that I've been doing since November 2011.

No. I'm a very open person.

I can't answer this one.

If you could, would you go back in time and stop the moment you found out about MLP?

Not at all..it's helped me alot, with all the daily stress in my life it's such a great escape and amazing/wonderful thing for me to LOVE.

I can't answer this one either.

Not hard at all..my mom and I are really close and I tell her everything, she thinks it's kinda weird but supports it.

Did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do?

My Dad , he wasn't very nice about it the first time I watched it one afternoon....
But honestly I dont care...It makes me happy so why should it matter?

In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What are the disadvantages set for you?

Yes, Deffinatley, What the MLP fandom stands for as a whole and how the community is such as this forum, it's the BEST mlp forum on the internet. I feel so welcome and like I belong. It's the first time i've felt like that in a fandom.

(Thank you above poster for this nice template)

Yes, with exceptions. (I accidentally voted, though, and can't seem to change the vote) There is a group of friends that I have that knows, but I do my best to keep it relatively quiet.

Yes, but it is not that bad. I don't like keeping secrets from my parents because it makes me feel bad.  Otherwise, I like it this way.

No. For one, if I didn't find out about MLP then, I would have found out later.  If I could stop myself from ever hearing about it though, I still won't.  Having another thing to be happy about and look forward to is always nice, even if I prefer that no one else knew about it.

No, though the only person I've told explicitly was my sister.  I basically just wanted someone to have an intelligent conversation with about the show (this was long before I found these forums), so I admitted it to her.

Easy, though part of me regrets telling her.  You see, she's not exactly the best at keeping secrets, which I knew, but still decided to tell her anyways.  That's how the group of friends found out I was a brony.  I practically have to jump through hoops to keep her from telling anyone else.  Anyways, back to the question: it was easy because my sister and I are quite close.

No, but something else happened.  My sister's opinion of me never changed; in fact, I eventually brought her into the fandom.  My group of friends began to tease me about it when they found out, but that's normal and doesn't bother me, since teasing each other is just what we do.  Honestly, I'd much rather be teased about being a brony than some... other things...

Yes, I would say positive.  For benefits, I'm generally happier, and I'm also using the show to try to better myself (which I think is, for the most part, working).  As for disadvantages, there's the constant anxiety whenever I go on these forums in a public place (I don't know why I do, because I know it doesn't make any sense if I'm trying to hide it), as well as whenever I journey to the local comic store to purchase the next issue of the comic.

I never really hid it. 'Cause I simply dot give a buck what people think of me or what I like.
I think not hiding it is better than actually hiding it. If you dont hide it you could encourage another brony to Stop hiding it as well. Its also a plus that you end up meeting other bronies in the process.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I do live a double life. But as the mysterious Spider-Pony, who saves many people but is never shunned by anybody. But I am really proud of who I am as a brony.

I don't hide it, but I don't flaunt it. I have some of the PVCs in my cubical at work and brushables all at home, and on a rare occasion I will wear one of t-shirts, but being a brony isn't exactly a big deal. It is easy to tell people that I like the show and I think that it is silly to pretend not to like a TV show. Although I can understand simply not telling people.

Being a brony is a good thing and I enjoy it lots. :)

• Brohoof 1

I do have a "double-life" with the exception of one brony friend I know. He's the only one I've told about being a brony.It wasn't hard at all to bring it up, I just commented on his Rainbow Dash phone wallpaper and he went "What?!? You know Rainbow Dash? You watch MLP too?" (It's easy when you know you're talking to a brony before hand :P )

I don't think it would be that difficult to bring it up with my other friends. If it were to come up in conversation, I would probably say "Yeah I like MLP, it's a good show with a great community" and leave it at that. But I don't think they really need to know either, so for now I'll keep it to myself and enjoy my "double-life".

I've only mentioned it to my best friends so far, I think, one of them really looks down on it all (but then again, she can be a bit ignorant) and the other one is pretty okay with it, she even started watching it herself. I don't really get what the big deal is though, it's just a show, putting it as a double life is kind of dramatic.