Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do YOU live a double life, as a brony?

iLegovideo

Do you live a double life, as a brony?  

107 users have voted

1. 1. Do you live a double life, as a brony?

• Yes, with exceptions.
    • No, with exceptions
    • Yes, no exceptions.
    • No, no exceptions.
  2. 2. Do you regret having a second life?

• No, but I do want to watch the show in peace.
    • Yes, but it's not that bad.
    • I don't have a second life.
  3. 3. If you could, would you go back in time and stop the moment you found out about MLP?

• Yes (explain below please)
    • No (explain below please)
  4. 4. Did it take a person to convince you to tell other people that you're a brony?

• Yes. (Please specify who/relationship to you)
    • No/not yet.
  5. 5. How hard was it to tell the first person that you're a brony?

• Hard. (Please explain)
    • Moderately hard. (Please explain)
    • Easy. (Please explain)
  6. 6. Did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do?

• Yes (Please explain)
    • No, but something else happened. (Please explain)
    • Nothing changed.
  7. 7. In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What are the disadvantages set for you?

• Yes. (Please explain all questions)
    • No.

I'm a bit saddened that a topic like this exists, but that's the reality of the world we live in I guess. Publically acknowledging your brony-ness makes large segments of the population assume certain things. I think we all know about that.

The way we fight that is by proving them wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt. How did I handle it? Well, for one thing, when I announced my brony status, I didn't make a big deal out of it or start pushing it on anyone. (Basically, anyone who wanted to find out did, and anyone who didn't was free to ignore it.)

After that, if anyone you know doubts you or insults you, respond by accentuating the positive. Explain exactly what it is that makes the show appealing. Drop the "It's just really good, you know, like Pixar movies" line and watch the hater curl up into a ball. Invite the doubters to experience the show like you did and really give it a chance. Above all, project self-confidence in the face of doubt and make it clear that you will NOT be ashamed of what you like no matter what anyone says. 

The doubters will be silenced when you do that. You might even win a few of them over. We can change the dynamic and eliminate the stigma and baggage that comes with the term "brony", but this is the only way to do it... one doubter at a time. I've certainly done my part. :)

I am also personally sad that I had to address this topic, but I guess there will always be members of a group who will always run and hide from the ones who want to persecute them. 

never hid anything about it. I read about MLP on Memebase, I watched all the episodes and then I told my parents about it. Now pretty much everyone knows. MLP is the best thing that has happened to me in my entire life. I didn't have any problems with it.

Lol, I have also told my parents that I watched all the episodes.... but that was almost September. I agree that MLP is the most gangsta thing ever and it is the best thing that has happened to me since the Internet.

No I don't live any kind of double life because I seriously don't care who knows or dosen't know, when the subject does come I fess up but other than that and occasionally wearing my Discord shirt I really don't say much of anything except for on here of course. This was of course a positive experience for me because I got introduced to a great show with a creative and friendly community and it is a nice escape and though it hasn't really solved all my problems does help a little with my depression and anger by reminding me that life isn't all about disappointments and getting screwed over.

It really pains me to think that most people look at us as messed up but until they actually see that we are just like them, they suddenly have a change of mind. I personally do not care who knows or not either mostly because they have nothing against me, lol. Text it to everyone, I really don't care.

Not really.

I mean I don't go wih a big sign or go around saying "hey I'm a brony". But at the same time I don't hid it.

In other words I try no to be too "hey look at me", but at the same time I don't hid it or feel ashamed about it.

I want a shirt that says "Hey, I'm a Brony" now.... I guess most of us at first are like that. When we first watch it, we're like "Sooooo.... awesomeeee" or somethin'. Then, most of us either hide, or tell people that understand us.

Yes, with exceptions. If dropping references here and there counts as one. Not that anyone around here would get them.

Do you regret having a second life?

Yes, but it is not that bad. I hate having to keep it to myself, especially when I've watched a new episode but can't tell it to anyone. Sometimes it also depresses me.

If you could, would you go back in time and stop the moment you found out about MLP?

No. Although it didn't make life any easier as MLP gave me another life to take care of, I don't regret my decision at all.

Did it take a person to convince you to tell other people that you're a brony?

No/Not yet. First, there is no one to convince me as I am the only brony around where I live. Believe me, after dropping references all over the place for over a year, I am 100% positive that the place I live is devoid of any other bronies/pegasisters. Second, I have no friends which I would trust with this IRL, so.....

How hard was it to tell the first person that you're a brony?

Kinda hard to answer this question if I haven't told anyone yet....

Did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do?

No one knows, so.....

In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What are the disadvantages set for you?

Yes, very positive. It helped me mature a lot, on many levels. I now also have the feeling that I actually belong to something, and that there's actually people who would care about it if you would feel bad. 

Get the word out, man! Well, don't spam it to every mailbox... I agree about what you said about maturity. It has helped me out with stuff too. I'm to lazy to list it, so...on to the next response.

Do you live a double life, as a brony? - no, but the times there are exceptions such as my family trying to enter my room

do you regret having a second life? - i don't have one

did it take a person to convince you to tell other people that you're a brony? - i did it myself

how hard was it to tell the first person that you're a brony? - it was really hard due to the fact that i was afraid of rejection

did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do? - yes because of what respect i did have started to go down because of the stupid stereotyping

has it made positive things happen - yes it has due to the fact it has made me tolerate people alot more and also it stopped me from having a short temper

Most of us hesitate when telling people because of being afraid of rejection.That's what Ponychan is for! I do hate stereotyping because it makes a certain group look bad in some way. 

When i first started watching the show it was a secret.  Then i told my best friend because we tell each other almost everything and she has known weirder things about me before so i knew i wouldnt be judged. Then  i told my brother and then i was just like buck it i'm just coming all the way out of the closet its more fun being outside anyway.

Now im open about it all and wear pony stuff all the time at first my mom was like "isnt that show for little girls?" and i was like "yeah but i have some friends that watch it to and its actually pretty awesome!" so she got over it and doesnt care anymore.  

It's way easier to be open about then to hide it (but then again i'm a girl so its probably different for you male bronies) and it seems like i get mostly positive responses (with a few exceptions) but the exceptions are usually people i dont care about. So overall to me it is pretty awesome to be an open brony  :D

Preach, sista! I usually don't get negative responses when people find out, also with a few exceptions. I especially do not like the quote "Isn't that show for little girls?" because WE KNOW WHAT WE FREAKING WATCH. We're not high or something. Trust me, it is a lot harder for us guys because of social expectations.

Yes I do, because if people found out IRL they would beat me up, kill me and urinate on my corpse. So no, I don't regret having a second life when it comes to people I'm simply forced to be with.

As for family, I hate that I have to hide it from my mom, and I freak out every time I see her walking by my room because I have to close all tabs and everything related to MLP just in case she decides to walk in. Sometimes I get outright angry because of this. But that's the way it has to be. It's still better than telling her and running the risk of her not liking her only son anymore.

I wouldn't go back in time because MLP has made me a lot more tolerant towards those who deserve it, and I've become more open to things I hated before. I started learning how to make music because of a MLP game project I got involved in, and also a bit about programming. I also made a friend because of this, although he's getting busier and busier because of life, so I think I have yet to find a brony friend.

I have only told about this my internet friends (well I don't have real friends so this is stupid anyway) when I finally got bored of it, and I told them if they don't accept it, they're free to kick me out of the "team". They didn't, and I promised not to ever bring up MLP again, which was difficult to do, since one of the former "members" (We sometimes make let's plays and other random cr*p on youtube) started sending me explicit MLP stuff to troll me. I got angry at him, but so did everyone else, and upon realizing that, he left.

So overall it has been a positive experience, although I WANT MOAR!!!11! And I can't wait to be finally done with all the very long-term projects that I've been doing since November 2011.

Urinate on your corpse.... that's some society you're living in... Watching MLP used to be a SEAL team 6 mission EVERY SINGLE FREAKING TIME.  When i read your response, I read "explicit MLP stuff" and "I WANT MOAR!!!11!" right after each other, lol.

No. I'm a very open person.

I can't answer this one.

If you could, would you go back in time and stop the moment you found out about MLP?

Not at all..it's helped me alot, with all the daily stress in my life it's such a great escape and amazing/wonderful thing for me to LOVE.

I can't answer this one either.

Not hard at all..my mom and I are really close and I tell her everything, she thinks it's kinda weird but supports it.

Did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do?

My Dad , he wasn't very nice about it the first time I watched it one afternoon....

But honestly I dont care...It makes me happy so why should it matter?

In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What are the disadvantages set for you?

Yes, Deffinatley, What the MLP fandom stands for as a whole and how the community is such as this forum, it's the BEST mlp forum on the internet. I feel so welcome and like I belong. It's the first time i've felt like that in a fandom.

I personally do like this forum, even though sometimes it goes on system repair.... That's a rather small complaint. It does feel like a place where I belong because it is a place where I can discuss dem Pwnies without getting crap for it.

(Thank you above poster for this nice template)

Yes, with exceptions. (I accidentally voted, though, and can't seem to change the vote) There is a group of friends that I have that knows, but I do my best to keep it relatively quiet.

Yes, but it is not that bad. I don't like keeping secrets from my parents because it makes me feel bad.  Otherwise, I like it this way.

No. For one, if I didn't find out about MLP then, I would have found out later.  If I could stop myself from ever hearing about it though, I still won't.  Having another thing to be happy about and look forward to is always nice, even if I prefer that no one else knew about it.

No, though the only person I've told explicitly was my sister.  I basically just wanted someone to have an intelligent conversation with about the show (this was long before I found these forums), so I admitted it to her.

Easy, though part of me regrets telling her.  You see, she's not exactly the best at keeping secrets, which I knew, but still decided to tell her anyways.  That's how the group of friends found out I was a brony.  I practically have to jump through hoops to keep her from telling anyone else.  Anyways, back to the question: it was easy because my sister and I are quite close.

No, but something else happened.  My sister's opinion of me never changed; in fact, I eventually brought her into the fandom.  My group of friends began to tease me about it when they found out, but that's normal and doesn't bother me, since teasing each other is just what we do.  Honestly, I'd much rather be teased about being a brony than some... other things...

Yes, I would say positive.  For benefits, I'm generally happier, and I'm also using the show to try to better myself (which I think is, for the most part, working).  As for disadvantages, there's the constant anxiety whenever I go on these forums in a public place (I don't know why I do, because I know it doesn't make any sense if I'm trying to hide it), as well as whenever I journey to the local comic store to purchase the next issue of the comic.

Copy and pasta is the end of all originality.... they're not kidding when they say that.... Well, it looks good.... I also brought my sister to the fandom as well, but she is in college and rather busy, so no pwnies for her...yet.

I never really hid it. 'Cause I simply dot give a buck what people think of me or what I like.

I think not hiding it is better than actually hiding it. If you dont hide it you could encourage another brony to Stop hiding it as well. Its also a plus that you end up meeting other bronies in the process.

I do think that it requires less effort to cover it up, rather than saying it. Isn't it better to use money instead of locking it up? 

• Brohoof 1

I don't tell people, and I don't hide it. If people ask then sure I tell them (I'm not going to lie :P) But yeah I kinda do live a double life, at school I just don't tell people and don't talk about it except for a couple of references here and there. I sometimes talk about it with the ONE IRL brony friend that I have (hello, mehguy22) he actually became a brony pretty recently (because of meeeee), like 1 or 2 months ago. Me, like 6 or 7 months ago.

I don't entirely hide it but I do live somewhat a double life I suppose. I'm open about being a brony to just about all my friends. But I hide it from my parents. I have told them in the past but I don't think they really know what I was talking about then. When I first started telling people I was a brony most of my friends sticked by me I even learned some where already bronies (and even already on these forums) I also convinced a few to actually give the show a chance :D However I did loose one friend a friend I used to hang out with the absolute most. Turns out you can't trust everyone to stick by you (you can however trust most good friends) I can definately say becoming a brony has been a huge plus to my life. Before I became a brony my life wasnt entirely the greatest I didn't really have anything to look forward to but I didn't really have much be depressed about except the fact that I had nothing exciting going on. I didn't really have much to do except my schoolwork and play some games. Which after a while felt like the same routine. I began to get into music and I found this song one day that was just so awesome I couldn't stop listening to it for a week. That song was Beyond her tomb. (Truely is the best song ever) I began looking for more songs like it cause it made me feel happy when I listened to it. Soon enough I had started watching PMV's and short animations and eventually I gave the show it self a shot. And thus here I am. A happy purple loving person typing his longest post on this forum yet whilst listening to join the herd (second best song ever) :)

Edited by Mellow

I never hid it, but no one asked me about it, at least until I started drawing ponies. Then a friend of mine saw them and interrogated me. He told like half of my class about it, but I didn't really care he did. Everyone treats me the same way as before, so I feel nothing changed. By the way, I managed to convert one of my friends to pegasisterism, but she doesn't really watch the show anymore. Oh well, at least one of my cousins is a TRUE pegasister. That makes me a little more comfortable.

no cept in the case of grandparents. sorta the hate gays pokemon is evil type.

not really i doubt they would do much if they approved of me as anyway and i see them 2 times a year.

Filly are you crazy? being a brony is most likely the reason im not in terminal depression.all the stuff i have learned grew and made me who i am today. besides i dont like the paradoxes that question makes.

the first thing i did after watching episodes1-7 was call a few freinds up and recommend it.

it litterally took all of five minutes to decide.

i live in a redneck town. outside of family freinds i gave up counting. its funny living in a redneck town with 5 churches and a population under10,000 you start to get humor once you hear what everyone speculates about bronys. i heard someone make the arguement that god damns me and without god who would keep us from raping and killing each other. i replied " well i dont know about you but i have raped  and killed everyone i would like. *evil sneer* besides i doubt god damns ponys more an he damns your hatrid of me."

ll thats how i deal with the only people who treat me different.

yep its great to be part of a community and always have a moral of love and tolerance i have those words stamped'm on a pair of costom dog tags i wear. and to tell you the truth i have yet to see a drawback people who know will treat you diffrent but i havent had a freind do so. also i have sorta grew a brony fanbase out of my freinds i have converted 5 of them.

Edited by indeable

At first I was more of a secretive brony...but it was at a short period of time because I was shy in telling people that I watched ponies. I was also in denial.

After a few weeks, I did came out as a brony, opening up to close friends and to some online acquaintances I knew back then who became bronies befoere I did. I've been an open brony since the start of season 2, and I couldn't have been more proud.

In terms of telling people, I've had people not care, I've lost a few friends along the way, and I even discovered hidden bronies inside of them. xD It actually depends on the person whom I talk to. Some family members know about me being a brony, they don't care...as long as it's something that makes me happy.

Yeah I guess I do live a double life more or less, I don't let anyone outside of here know I'm a brony, i just don't have the courage, and I'm not very high hopes that I'll gain anything from telling anyone anyways. Plus my group of actual decent friends is pretty limited, and I'd like not to go into to high of a depression from being alone when I'm already pretty close on the verge of that.

Overall I just stay the closet brony I am and even though it can be challenging to deal with at times, I've managed to get around most of them pretty well. It doesn't come up really ever except the ocation I have to switch tabs when someone else comes in or something.

I don't know why I'd stop the moment I'd first watched MLP, I like the fact I watch MLP, but I still don't think I'm ready to tell the world, people are freaking judgmental anyways, and unlike most people seem to have, I don't have the confidence or spare friends who I know would never abandon me to fall back on, I really don't truely trust any of my IRL friends to be totally honest, I'm not the most highly trusting person though, so its possible that might be part of it.

But yeah, I've not told a soul about it really, just people here, not my parents or any of my friends, if I did tell someone it'd probably be my brother, I'm probably the closest with him, but even then its a stretch. We're not like super close, but I just think hes the one I'd trust the most, still I don't think I'll ever get around to telling him due to many things and just having no confidence to.

Being a brony is a positive thing for me yes, since joining this fandom and watching MLP I think I've been less depressed, its been a long while since I've got into one of my really depressed moods, which is good, and I've also had a little bit of self confidence boost, plus it gives me things to do, and it even made me get into drawing ponies, aswell as inspiring me a bit to try different things. And it overall might have helped me a little with trying to be a bit less shy and more social, I'm still not very trusting of people, but eh its progress.

I'm not gonna list all the pros I've had for being a brony though, that might take a bit. And I don't really wanna list out every reason I can think of for why I'm still a closet brony, so hopefully these suffice. I'm just not ready and not confident enough really, plus it doesn't get brought up often anyways. And I don't really know if I trust people to not turn me into a social reject and destroy any of my hopes of ever having any type of social life in highschool(Not that I have the most impressive one at the moment..)

So yeah I'm a double agent brony I guess :P.

Double life as eh? It's kinda hard for me to answer that at the moment actually. When I was first getting into ponies I had no problem showing my cousins some of the funnier videos but I avoided being called a brony at the time. Now, I could easily admit to it if asked but the topic hasn't really come up recently since I'm away for school.  So I guess I'll go with yes, with exceptions. There are certain people I wouldn't mind knowing that I'm a brony and others that I would rather not bring it up around not because I'm afraid of what they might think but because it's just an extra hassle. I'm so tired of hearing "I can't believe you still watch cartoons/ anime/ blahblahblah still", and it's always brought up on the wildest tangents. :/ Not a big deal though.

I don't regret finding out about MLP. I genuinely like the show and the fandom. Trust me, there are plenty of other things that I would take back if given the chance before I even considered MLP.

Technically the first people I actually revealed my brony status to are this forum right here but I guess that's not exactly what you were looking for.  The second would be the other bronies at Cloudsdale Congress -_- .  I haven't told anyone who wasn't already a brony yet. It's really easy to say you're brony when you're surrounded by them; you don't even have to explicitly state it. As for telling someone who isn't a brony, I don't know how difficult that is since I haven't really had a good chance to.

Yeah it's been a positive experience so far. Benefits besides having another show to enjoy watching? I'd say that I've become more likely to donate. I've always been a little generous but when you're are part of a community that gives so much, you feel like giving a bit yourself you know. Then there is the meeting new people who share similar interests which is always nice. The biggest disadvantage is the drain on my wallet. There's so much merchandise that I gotta have  :o

• Brohoof 1

Well In fact I live a tripe life lol. 1 the normal daily life of work and home, the one where im a masked luchador that host a videogame podcast and cast's videogame tournaments and the one of the dood crazy about ponies and how the show has ignited the creativity spark in me once again. Im spending close to 100 bucks each month on commissions for my OC's and  keep writing on both my fics and awesome RP'w with cool friends from around the world. My web time is now active and my spare time is more creative than before. So yea being part of the herd is awesome. 

I've noticed that most double life bronies seem to be the younger fans.

Regardless for me it isn't anything like that.

Obviously I'm not going to say I'm a brony to every person I see the moment I see them. But I let it known pretty easily. Especially when people come by my room. All my pony stuff is right out there in the open for all to see. I've always been big on you shouldn't have to hide the things you like. From all that nothing much has changed usually it goes hey you like this stuff? Yep. Oh ok then.

• Brohoof 1

Not a soul knows of my like of the show, at least irl. I belong to a Brony Clan on Call of Duty, but I don't know any of those guys in real life. I don't think I'll ever tell my friends about it, since my friends are all well traveled on the internet, know of bronies, and hold nothing but contempt for them. (as I did for a long time) Since most of my friends would turn on me if I told them of my liking of it, I'll play this hobby close to the chest.

"Yes, no exceptions."... check. If you were my friend IRL and you didn't know I was a brony, you'd probably only figure out that I'm a brony after like four years.

"Yes, but it's not that bad."... check. I really hate it, but to be honest, it's not that bad as it was at the beginning (around 2011-2012).

Hmm... this one is a tricky... I'm going to vote "No." just because I really like the pone and the fandom, but yeah, there are a few things that I just hate (in general and a few other, more specific things) and wish they never happened.

"No/not yet"... check. I suppose it could happen, where some close person/people would encourage me, but not in Lithuania. I'd rather eat a spider (and I have arachnophobia)

"Hard". Some family members know that I like the pone, and it was super hard to tell them about it.

"Nothing changed" and "Yes"... check and check. My family members didn't really treat me differently (I think they already have forgotten). But I assume that if I tell anyone but them about mlp:fim, I'll be in a world of pain and misery.

In conclusion, I want to say that the day when I joined the herd was the second-best day of my life, because I've learned a lot from the fandom, both good and not-so-good things. I've found so many answers to my questions from support of the peeps. If I hadn't joined you guise, I'd be a completely different person. Of course, there are a few negative aspects of it, but they are overwhelmed by the amount of positive aspects.

Edited by Freckle

I definitely do not feel like I live a double life as a brony. I feel like it's pretty rare that it comes up in real life when you're an adult. I don't wear a whole lot of the merchandise and it doesn't exactly come up in conversation.

I have no fear in people finding out and I don't hide it. The times that I have felt judged were when people made blanket statements about it and maybe a couple of times for being a girl in my twenties who likes the show.

I'm not hiding it but I don't go around telling people I am one but if they ask I say yes, the first person I told was my best friend because it was relevant to the conversation my mom probably noticed like when I was studying and I had a Twilight sparkle wallpaper on my computer and she made a joke about it and when my brother found out he asked me and I said yes and he proceeded in making a big deal out of it even if it wasn't a big deal.

Not really, I mean why should I hide it from people? It's just that I don't feel the need to shout it out or something, I'll tell them if they ask but otherwise, nah.

AWW HELL NO, even if it were possible why should I stop myself from discovering this amazing show and fandom? You crazy crazy folk.

Well, it happened more spontaneously than anything else. I was a brony for a pretty long while and suddenly a friend (A) of mine started dropping references which came as a surprise. So we were on skype and I went away for a while, when I came back another friend (B) joined our chat and A had told B that he watched MLP and B thought it was quite strange. So I just told them both I was one for a long while already. So in a sense, yes but not really, just a spur of the moment I guess.

Not hard at all, I told them both because I wanted to support A and try to convince B that it wasn't strange at all to watch MLP. That and I really don't care what people think of me.

Not really, perhaps they thought it was strange or something but thankfully nothing negative

In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What disadvantages set for you?

Absolutely, folks were really supportive which was just an extra bonus. I didn't really decided to join because of pros and cons, I just watched the show and after a while I decided to participate in the fandom. Even now I don't see any disadvantages at all, just benefits. The fandom is supportive, nice, wacky and fun.

Asides from my judgmental father, pretty much everyone around me knows I'm a brony. My mom does, and is into it too because of me, so is my sister and one of my close friends. Her boyfriend knows, their friends who live with them know, my best friend knows, etc. So, yeah. Basically everyone I interact with on a regular or semi-regular basis knows other than my dad. I don't think he'd flip or anything, but he'd just make fun of it, and even though I'm not scared, I simply don't have the patience to deal with his bullshit. Why tell him when he just doesn't need to know? I hardly have anything in common with him anyway and I don't live with him anymore xP

Anyway, yes, it was a positive experience, and I wouldn't change becoming one at all.

"Double life" may be too strong of a word to complement my current devotion to the MLP fandom. Yeah, sure, it's a great show and all but I honestly wouldn't shed any tears if it got removed or something. Being too attached to characters that do not exist in reality isn't very healthy, especially if it got...over the top. 

I used to be extremely devoted to the fandom, going as far as to insult people if they have a different opinion from me, but now I don't feel as strongly to it now. I enjoy discussing about ponies and having different opinions and whatnot, but nothing else. I never apply MLP memes to real life, such as saying "20% cooler" or "the cake is a lie", et cetera. I don't let a cartoon show take over my life.

Of course, the exception is that I spend a lot of time on the forums and the MLPwikia, talking about ponies. Maybe it's just my debating instinct.

I wouldn't go back in time and prevent myself from being a fan, because overall, it was a positive experience for me. I may not be too attached to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as some bronies may be, but it's a great show nonetheless. However, it wasn't always positive; back in my rabid fangirl days, I let the show take over my mind so much that I started to lag in terms of schoolwork and other more important things. It wasn't that great.

And yeah, I'm a closet brony/pegasister. Very unpopular at school, y'know, and the fact that I watch a cartoon show about ponies wouldn't give me any points in the "cool kids" category. I told my closest IRL friend that I like MLP, but nobody else other than her. However, a couple of times some boys saw me drawing ponies or looking at pony-related stuff. And goodness knows what they did with that news. I don't want to find out. That's another negative aspect in finding out about the show. My parents knew, too (I had to confess after they asked me why my grades are failing) but it wasn't as hard with them, even though they are taken aback. 'Course, these negatives are nothing compared to all the positives. I met a very close friend here on the forums who is constantly helping me and being a great friend to me and is currently my "Internet boyfriend". :P

I don't really "live a double life", there's not much need for me to. I don't go around telling people that I watch and collect MLP and spout FiM references, but I will talk about it if the topic is brought up. I used to be really nervous and didn't want anyone to really know about it, but I realized nobody really cared. People actually thought it was cute that I like My Little Pony :'D It does help that I am a really small, short female, though.

But yeah, I did kind of live a double life for the first month or two, but that quickly went away and I don't really care about who knows, and so far I have not gotten any negative reactions.

Instead of my usual talking about not understanding why people would keep ponies secret, I decided to come clean about something else. I wouldn't really call it living a double life, and it has nothing to do with MLP:FIM. Only two people in my real life know just what kind of stories I've been writing online. All I'll say is remember the news coverage of the book "Fifty Shades of Gray"? Mine aren't fanfics though. They're one hundred percent original! (And NO PONIES!) "Fifty" started life as a fanfic of "Twilight" (The sparkly vampire Twilight) called "Master of the Universe" That's why I NEVER post any photographs of myself online. I'd die of embarrassment if my family ever finds out!

(Don't PM me for links or anything. I won't give any because I can't be sure of the users age!)

My girlfriend convinced me to tell her my secrets so I told her I'm a brony. To which she replied "you just got 20% cooler" which is the best part about living a double life. I find it moderately easy to tell my friends but when it comes to family I really try to hold it as a secret as best as I can. I don't want to go back in time and stop myself watching ponies but I do want to be able to be open about my preferences in TV shows. I just feel like I'm locked in a shell I don't want. I like myself but I feel like I'd like myself a whole lot more if I was able to express myself through t-shirts and cons and all that other awesome stuff. I just wish that I wasn't so bloody unsure about telling people I am too close with such as parents and long-time friends. It doesn't help that there are 15 other bronies I know about in my school in Sheffield who all know I'm a brony but I'm jealous of their ability to be so open about them being part of the best, but no offence, most unexpected and weirdest fandom. Basically all this boils down to is I want a t-shirt but I don't want people knowing I'm a brony if I don't know they are a brony too. Help! What should I do???

I hid it for about a month, but then I told my mom she didn't believe me when I said that a bunch of guys watch MLP. So I had to take her to a convention. I had more then a couple of people lose respect for me. My dad, half my friends, and my older brother. (Well technically he never had respect for me and I never had any for him so I really didn't give a f***) Even after that I still think of it was a positive experience. I like the show and the fandom. AND NO ONE WILL CHANGE MY OPINION ON THE SHOW OR FANDOM, EVER.

Yes, with exceptions. Except for my best friend, no one knows that I'm a brony.

Yes, but it is not that bad. I would love to be able to share my love of the show with my friends and co-workers, but it's not worth the ridicule I would receive.

No. Not a chance.

No. I bit the bullet and told my friend myself.

Moderately hard. I'm VERY shy and I was afraid of the response I would get. But it weighed too heavily on my heart to not say anything.

Nothing changed. My friend thought I was joking at first, but when I told him I was serious he didn't care.

Yes. Benefits: I gained an outlet to unwind from a stressful job. I learned to be more tolerant of others, I no longer judge people based on their interests. Disadvantages: I have a very judgemental family and co-workers, so have to keep quiet about being a brony.

I never lived a "double life",and never will.Although I do carefully watch where I talk about the show.

It didn't put a positive,nor a negative input on my life so far.The main question is:Do you choose to make it hard on yourself?

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't go back in time and stop because I would have missed one of the greatest experiences of my life up to date. It was difficult for me because the person I told was an anti-brony and a friend. but he wasn't as angry or mean as I thought he would be. and yes my friend kind of made some mean jokes about me after he found out.