Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do YOU live a double life, as a brony?

iLegovideo

Do you live a double life, as a brony?  

107 users have voted

1. 1. Do you live a double life, as a brony?

• Yes, with exceptions.
    • No, with exceptions
    • Yes, no exceptions.
    • No, no exceptions.
  2. 2. Do you regret having a second life?

• No, but I do want to watch the show in peace.
    • Yes, but it's not that bad.
    • I don't have a second life.
  3. 3. If you could, would you go back in time and stop the moment you found out about MLP?

• Yes (explain below please)
    • No (explain below please)
  4. 4. Did it take a person to convince you to tell other people that you're a brony?

• Yes. (Please specify who/relationship to you)
    • No/not yet.
  5. 5. How hard was it to tell the first person that you're a brony?

• Hard. (Please explain)
    • Moderately hard. (Please explain)
    • Easy. (Please explain)
  6. 6. Did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do?

• Yes (Please explain)
    • No, but something else happened. (Please explain)
    • Nothing changed.
  7. 7. In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What are the disadvantages set for you?

• Yes. (Please explain all questions)
    • No.

These are some good questions. 

No, with exceptions. I try not hide my bronyness. I wear the shirts, talk about it with family and friends, ect. I know that most people don't care and that my friends will still love me. I will however say that I might not be comfortable admitting I'm a brony to someone I don't know very well or someone that I know would give me grief for it. Granted, I wouldn't flat out lie about it, but I might not be eager to express my enthusiasm. 

Do you regret having a second life?

I don't have a second life. Most of the people that know me well know about my brony activities. 

If you could, would you go back in time and stop the moment you found out about MLP?

Not a chance! MLP is one of the best examples of animation I've seen. It keeps me consistently watching, has a great fandom, and is just a really good show. 

Did it take a person to convince you to tell other people that you're a brony?

Nah, I didn't need convincing. I'm too enthusiastic about the things I love not to share them like the fan girl I am. :P

How hard was it to tell the first person that you're a brony?

I don't remember who the first person I told was. So I guess it wasn't that hard...? huh.png  I might have felt awkward, but it wasn't bad enough to make it memorable.

Did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do?

Welp, a former friend probably thought me something of a weirdo for it, but I know it wasn't just ponies that increased her disdain for me. There was some other stuff going on.

In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What are the disadvantages set for you?

Certainly. I've had a lot of fun watching the show itself. And there are the various fan projects that I adore, as well as participating in the fandom itself. It also helped me make some new friends who I could bond with over a shared love of ponies. The show has given me plenty of creative inspiration. I guess the downside is that some people I know view my love of ponies as strange, but if it wasn't ponies, it would probably be something else. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes, absolutly. I am a (NON COMPETITION) bodybuilder at about 195 pounds, a competition marksman at my local range, and very much so a "Macho man" when it comes to how i carry myself day to day but like a say to everybody who does know about me is that every badass has a soft spot MLP is it
not at all, it is one thing that i can keep from the mass of people that know me and something that only my truest friends know about me
If you could, would you go back in time and stop the moment you found out about MLP?
NEVER, this show has taught me so much about myself, about my own friendships. which ones i should hold on too and which ones to let go of
No, when i tell somebody that I am a brony it is usually through either me gradually telling them, or them accedently finding merch in my house, or applications on my phone
I think the only equally hard thing about telling the first person that i was a brony was when i told my parents i was joining the Airforce
Did certain people start losing respect for you or started to dislike you more than they usually do?
No absolutely not, sure they picked on me in harmless fun as an inside joke from the rest of my friends but if you look at me, and know that 1.) im pretty well built 2.)Im an american Airman then you would just put up with me. "Im a brony deal with it" is a saying I always use
In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you?
To answer this question, just take a look at this awesome community! heck yes this has been an awesome ride with all of you and it really helped me to find out who my true understanding friends are from backstabbers
What benefits were placed for you to join?
I dont get it, I watched the show because of curiosity. not for any benefits
What are the disadvantages set for you?
Just the shear hatred for no reason set upon us as a community, only downside to being a Brony. the unreasonable hate from people is just enoying as all heck

• 2 weeks later...

I hide my love of ponies from most everybody. Except my best friend who always puts up with my antics and such.

A little i guess. Ill probably be more public with being a brony once i come out of the closet (non-pony closet mind you).

No probably not. I feel like if i didn't find it then i would still find it eventually.

I only told my one friend so no.

Yes and no. My friend and I have a kinda i bug you you bug me thing going on. So when its just me and him hanging out i show him pony stuff and quote the show to an insane degree and he just sighs and laughs.

In review, would you say being a brony was a positive experience for you? What benefits were placed for you to join? What are the disadvantages set for you?

It has been overall positive. I have became much more tolerant and slightly more patient to others. Plus the fanbase is amazing and lots of fun to be around. But i will have to deal with my parents at some point so who knows.

I wouldn't really say so. I'm not particularly vocal about it, but I'm not afraid of showing it either. How often I wear my new Scootalove sweatshirt is a testament to that ;).

Nah. I won't say that it hasn't ever created difficult situations for me, but overall I'm immensely glad that I discovered the show :)

Nope. First people were my brother and sister and I told them pretty quickly, without any drama or angst.

Not that I've noticed.

Yeah. I've had the opportunity to enjoy a great show, fan creations, to make friends through the fandom, all sorts of things. This far outweighs any minor disadvantages.

1.  No, no exceptions.

I always tell people that I like the show. Perhaps is the fact that I also always carry a button with a picture of Fluttershy "yaying."

1.  I don't have a second life.

I always tell people that I like the show. Perhaps is the fact that I also always carry a button with a picture of Fluttershy "yaying."

Yes, I wrote the same thing.

1.  No (explain below please)

I don't regret being a brony, so why would I stop a great moment in my life? It was like when I found out about Sponge Bob Square Pants. It was a kids show and I was 15, but it was awesome!

1.  No/not yet.

I tell them because I want to.

1.  Moderately hard. (Please explain)

I live in El Salvador, a contry that is really "machista." A man has to behave like a "man," or he will be considered gay (even if he's not homosexual at all). So for me it was kind of hard.

1.  Yes (Please explain)

Read the previous answer. Explains what happened.

1.  Yes. (Please explain all questions)

It is positive because, at the end, I can enjoy a quality show. The benefits are awesome: I'm always online chatting with awesome, talented people that have similar issues and are (mostly) happy.

Disadvantages are always there: people don't take me serioues and some don't want to talk to me because they think I'm homosexual or a freak. Even though I've proven plenty of times that I just enjoy the show.

Now, I have to give them credit: When they start crossing the line with the show, I always mention it tongue.png I mean, if they are moking bronies, I act more like a brony until they stop. I'm such a troll.

Edited by cd_solidsnake

I used to hide the fact that I watched ponies. I showed it to my best friend, but she wasn't that interested. Still, she was accepting of the fact, because there are a lot of things that we like the other isn't into, and we're cool with that. However, even though I tried tried to watch the show in secret, with four siblings it's hard to keep anything from them. Plus, the fact that I got episodes on the Wii from YouTube for my little sisters didn't help. Although being a girl did help my case a little.

So, my family kind of knew, and I figured they were just ignoring it. I mean, I liked Anime, and Wicked the Musical, and other things, and they were just fads and phases, so so what. Well, come Christmas of 2011, I opened up Twilight Sparkle's Twinkling Balloon and a G3.5 Sweetie Belle. Hey, my little sister picked it out, she couldn't understand... (But I did ask to exchange it.) So that was really a surprise, to finally see my family supportive of such an odd interest for someone of my age.

But, I was still wary of letting friends know. However, as the months passed, I found other adult fans online, as well as seeing a few people on my Facebook feed posting about ponies. So I realized that I wasn't the only one, and it wasn't super weird. I've opened up more about my like of ponies, since I've made friends in real life now that like it, and some of my old friends have come to like it.

Last year, I moved to Washington. Now, I was living in Arizona, with my parents and siblings, and that was all the family there was. Up in Washington, I have grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins. So when people ask, 'what have you been doing lately', it's a little hard to respond with, 'hanging with guys that like My Little Pony'. I mean, I could say just, 'hanging with friends', but then they as, 'what did you do?' Well, we watched MLP and talked about MLP. Yeah, somehow no matter how coy I try to be, the conversation steered towards Bronies.

So now I think much of my family up here knows about my involvement. Considering I met all the friends I have in Washington through meet-ups, kind of hard to get away from it. Plus, I'm a member of Everfree Northwest staff, and I went to the convention last year, and they all wanted to know what I was doing, and yada yada... But I don't really think they care. I have a couple female cousins that I've tried to tell about Everfree Northwest, and of course their parents have to know about it and all that jazz. So pretty much, secret is out now, all over my Facebooks, "I'M IN LOVE, I'M IN LOVE, AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT!"

• Brohoof 1

An interesting topic you've got here...

Yes, I guess on some level I do live a double life as a brony. My parents know about it and so do my closests friends, but so far I haven't told anyone else about it, not even my siblings. I'm pretty sure none of my siblings would really mind too much, but I just haven't gotten around to telling them yet. I think I'll let them find out on their own, if they ever do.

Now about that poll...

If by the third question you mean, would I go back in time to stop myself from ever finding out about MLP, then no. No no No NO! MLP is THE best thing that has ever happened to me, and I would never deny it from myself. Through the show, I've made friends I would've never met without MLP, the show has given me a completely new view on life as a whole, and I couldn't be happier that I clicked that link on Youtube all those months ago :D

Telling others I'm a brony was... Moderately hard.. I planned and stressed for weeks before telling my parents about it (crazy, I know) but after that it got easier and I was able to talk to my friends about it quite easily. I'm just glad they didn't think too much about it :)

On a whole, becoming a brony was a great thing to happen to me. It's given me so much, yet it doesn't require anything from me. The only disadvantage it has had on my life is the loss of money. That pony-stuff is expensive! Not that I'd regret buying it or anything :P

• 8 years later...
  1. No, I don't but I used to.
  2. Yes, I regret it.
  3. No. I like it too much to do that.
  4. It didn't take one person to convince me to be open about it, it was just me thinking about why I was trying to hide it and what would come out of being secretive about MLP.
  5. It was pretty easy, actually. I told my sister about it and we watched an episode together.
  6. No. Nothing changed.
  7. Yes, it's a positive thing for me. The overwhelming positivity of this fandom is what keeps me in. I've never felt so comfortable in a group before and I feel like I actually fit in. Now, I'm more willing to actually try to make friends than ever before (Remind you of somepony?). As for negative experiences, I've had a few but the positive side of being a brony far outweighs the negative.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not hide that I like MLP, but I do not just randomly tell people either. Same with all other TV shows I watch. If I am talking about movies or TV shows with someone and I think he is going to like some TV show, then I recommend it to him. That's it.

I have some figures in my room, so, if someone visits me, he can see them, but I also do not just take them from the shelves and show them, unless he asks or our conversation goes to that topic.

No, I do not regret watching MLP, it's a good TV show, with some very likeable characters, some good songs and quite a few good fanfiction stories.

That's the thing. I am not a brony, or a human for that matter. I have a human body, and I happen to like MLP. But that does not make me anything. Originally, I am a free energy form, but when I heard a part of source had been isolated from the cosmic river by false gods, aka our brothers and sisters of dark and light, and locked into a closed 666 atomic paradigm of dualistic polarity. Creating a limited perception of reality with the use of an artificial moon satellite. Well, I had to see what was all about.

Still, it is curious to see how humans adopt the illusion of polarity and identity, considering they are free energy forms, as well. They really do believe in the multiple, conflicting narratives of this reality. Which is ultimately powered by their own perception. It is no wonder why numerous collectives from other galaxies and universes are interested in this peculiar experiment.

So, yeah, not a brony. I am just watching.

No. I don't exactly parade around the street saying I love the show, but I won't deny it either. Living a double life for a cartoon seems like a bit more trouble than it's worth.

No, I don't have a double life. I don't keep it secret but I'm also not promoting it to others either.

It's okay when someone finds out but I also lose any sleep over it.

Most I did as a undercover brony, was hiding the, at the time, handful of pony toys I began collecting during my final years under my parent’s roof. Once I’ve gotten independent, I went loose with the pastel horse merch :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

No but I rarely show it, admittedly it’s one of those things I’m still insecure about, most of my family know, but only a few of my friends know. At work literally only one person knows, and she only found out because she’s a fan of the show as well and asked me 

• Brohoof 1