Soda, pop, tonic, coke, other.  

119 users have voted

1. 1. What do you call soft drinks?

• Soda
    • Pop
    • Coke
    • Tonic
    • Other (Please specify)

It's always been pop around here. In fact, I've hardly ever heard someone use the term "soda," even when they aren't from around here. That said, it's more common to call it by the specific brand.

Around where I am, middle of Rhode Island, we call it soda. Or at least anyone I've heard say it calls it soda. I've never used the phrase "pop" for a carbonated drink.

Always called it soda myself, although I get how some people would call it pop since I've always known "soda pop" to be an acceptable albeit old-timey way of saying it.

On a side note, I can’t stand when people use Coke as a blanket term for all sodas. How confusing that must be for people who work at fast food joints: “Yeah, I’ll have a small Coke, Dr. Pepper...”

photos-0d52c__cropped_cropped_jackie-cha

Out of those two, soda definitely, I don't think I even ever say the word pop, save for when I'm refering to things popping... I tend to use the actual soda names or just say 'drink' more often than not though.

(edited)

Neither I guess. Where I'm from, every one calls it soft drink. In fact, I've never even heard of 'pop' before. Most Canadians I know just call it soda. Didn't even know the term existed until now.

Edited by ~Spontaneous Me~

Well here we say LÄSK sice I live in Sweden, but I think Soda sounds most... Normal?

Though I actually prefer to just call it by it's name, like Coca Cola, Fanta, Pepsi etc.

I mostly automatically call it pop, for me, I was born in the South but raised in the North, so... yeah. If you call it soda, that's just fine with me. But, now they've invented a word that is NEVER used, called, "Soda pop". see? they both had to derive from something.

I've always called it soda, even if it had an alternate name to call it back in the good old days known as ''pop.'' But, I just call it soda instead of pop even though I'm not allowed to drink soda at all. Besides, it rots teeth and usually has some weird sensation.

I've always called it pop, I'm from West Virginia. My fiance is from Northern Ohio and she calls it pop as well. Everywhere else I've been people call it soda or "a coke" even if you aren't ordering or getting a coke.

Always called it soda myself, although I get how some people would call it pop since I've always known "soda pop" to be an acceptable albeit old-timey way of saying it.

On a side note, I can’t stand when people use Coke as a blanket term for all sodas. How confusing that must be for people who work at fast food joints: “Yeah, I’ll have a small Coke, Dr. Pepper...”

I am an "uneducated Southerner", as someone called it earlier (although I'm guessing/hoping in playful jest), so I normally say 'coke'. However, that's just in normal conversation. If I'm ordering a beverage from someone, I have the presence of mind to call it by its proper name. Like, "I'll have a Dr. Pepper." or "A small Pepsi."

• Brohoof 1

we call it pop or fizzy pop in my area of England, I'm not sure about other areas of the UK but I've only ever heard "pop". The only time I use Soda is for Baking Soda or the specific drink Cream Soda.

I am an "uneducated Southerner", as someone called it earlier (although I'm guessing/hoping in playful jest), so I normally say 'coke'. However, that's just in normal conversation. If I'm ordering a beverage from someone, I have the presence of mind to call it by its proper name. Like, "I'll have a Dr. Pepper." or "A small Pepsi."

Interestingly enough, the reverse situation happened to me last night at McDonalds when the person taking my order asked "Would you like a Coke with that?" Remembering what I'd said in my last post, I awkwardly responded "Yeah...um, a Dr. Pepper." :yay:

• Brohoof 1

I call it the soft drink by it's name for example if it's Cola I'll call it Coca Cola or Pepsi, Sprite if it's Sprite etc. But If I was to call it either Pop, Soda or Soft drink I'd go with soft drink :)

I'm from the UK so we generally call it "pop." Don't really think i've heard anyone use Soda over here. 

I have also heard coke used in a general term rather than just for Coca Cola.

I live in America. We always call it soda. "Pop" seems so foreign and fancy. "Bottle of pop." Sorry, it just sounds so weird to me, can help it..

I have always called it soda I try not to drink soda any more though because it's generally unhealthy for you. I understand most people from the central United States call it pop and I guess that's just their thing.

We should all just start calling it a carbonated beverage get it over with.

I have always called it soda I try not to drink soda any more though because it's generally unhealthy for you. I understand most people from the central United States call it pop and I guess that's just their thing.

We should all just start calling it a carbonated beverage get it over with.

I'll +1 on the carbonated beverage name, but I'll add the word sugary to it so there can be a distiguishing adjective to tell it apart from other carbonated beverages.

To be honest...I call soft drinks "soft drinks". "Soda" and "pop" aren't terms used often where I live and everyone I know seems to refer to drinks as "soft drinks". Some also call colas "coke", even if it isn't Coca-Cola.