Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will we ever know the whole Applejack story?

Wingnut

Here is a brief step-by-step review of what we were told in the Cutie Mark Chronicles.

1. Applejack is seen off by Big Mac and Granny Smith to live with her aunt and uncle in Manehattan. There is no sign of Apple Bloom.

2. She spent an undisclosed amount of time living with the Oranges which probably ranges from several months to two years at the most. Big Mac already had his cutie mark when AJ left and AJ didn't grow visibly either. Realistically, two years is the maximum amount of time AJ could have spent with the Oranges. Then one day Applejack saw the sonic rainboom and she knew her purpose in life was to return to the farm.

3. As she returns home, AJ is greeted by Big Mac and Granny Smith, but Apple Bloom is still not seen.

Because Applejack doesn't like to talk about dark, depressing issues with children, she left a lot of important details out of her Cutie Mark account. Unfortunately, this lack of information has left serious AJ fans to try and figure out on their own what happened. Here are some of the biggest unanswered questions.

-When and how did mom and dad die?

-One popular headcanon is that AJ moved to Manehattan to escape the grief of losing both parents simultaneously, probably as the result of an accident. Does this make sense?

-On the other hand, what if they still alive when AJ moved to Manehattan? Was some kind of familial falling out the reason AJ went to the Oranges?

-If so, did AJ miss the birth of her baby sister?

-Even if Granny Smith was handling the management side of the farm, how did the work get done? She already looked too frail and Mac was too small to do it alone. The Apples are pretty tight knit so it might be a safe assumption (for once) that other relatives(s) lived there for a time to help out until Mac and AJ were big enough to handle everything by themselves.

Another safe assumption is that when Applejack returned, she pitched in with the same great enthusiasm that she does with all else in life. She did everything to the maximum of her cognitive and physical ability before and after school every single day. As the years went by, she gradually took on more and more tasks. Granny Smith and Big Mac were able to balance the books, negotiate sales, and so on in the meantime. But I agree with Kyronea's view that it was struggle for them because business doesn't seem to be their forte. AJ's graduation from school was no doubt a great relief to her brother and grandmother as this allowed her to assume complete control of the farm's management.

As an aside, I wonder if there was an animation error at the start of the flashback. Big Mac has his cutie mark but he's not posing to draw attention to it. Maybe he was supposed to be a blank flank at this point? When AJ returns near the end of the flashback, he hops out next to Granny Smith proudly showing off, what I believe, is supposed to be his cutie mark which AJ has probably never seen before.

• Brohoof 7

Season 4 is the answer. Although I guess it is unlikely, there is a chance that the CMC just might get their cutie marks.

Although, if people hear about it, there'll be so many topics we'll need a board for IT too.

Maybe, if they do, we'll learn more about the past of all the Mane 6, including Applejack.

It's definitely been an elusive subject and only ever defined by head canon, but we've steadily been seeing more and more appearances (or references) to other family members. Especially at the end of Season 3 - Rainbow's father made a cameo in episode 12, and Twilight's parents were at her coronation. I would possibly count the two shooting stars, but I wouldn't like to believe them to symbolise Applejack's parents, because as sad as this show can go, that's a little too upsetting.

There are 26 episodes coming up in Season 4. Wouldn't be a stretch to say that one of them will explore this issue further, even if lightly (AJ's family was a point for discussion even before Apple Family Reunion and the two shooting stars).

Edited by Flipturn ツ
  • Brohoof 1

Season 4 is the answer. Although I guess it is unlikely, there is a chance that the CMC just might get their cutie marks.

Although, if people hear about it, there'll be so many topics we'll need a board for IT too.

Maybe, if they do, we'll learn more about the past of all the Mane 6, including Applejack.

Even if the CMC do get their cutie marks I hope that they do it mid or late season. If and when they do get them doesn't that mean I would have to disband my club :'( or would the information just need to be revised?

Even if the CMC do get their cutie marks I hope that they do it mid or late season. If and when they do get them doesn't that mean I would have to disband my club :'( or would the information just need to be revised?

Doing it mid to late season would be good. Doing it at the very beginning would not be a very good way to start the season. I think your club would be fine.

Doing it mid to late season would be good. Doing it at the very beginning would not be a very good way to start the season. I think your club would be fine.

Ya. I don't know if the show could really stall out any longer with waiting considering we don't know whether season 4 is the end game for Gen. 4 (oops I mentioned "End")...

Prepare to Fight the Horde

img-1265592-1-left-4-dead-2-horde.jpg

Edited by ~Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 2

We have 26 episodes. The writers know what we like, so i'd be surprised if they didn't do an applejack backstory. They gave us Rainbow Dad and we loved it; why not give us AJ Dad? We'd freak out, and if they made 'AJ's Family' toys, you bet the dough would be rolling in.

• Brohoof 1

I personally don't think so. I feel like the shooting star scene in Apple Family Reunion was a big revelation regarding Applejack's history, but due to the general darkness of the subject I think that a lot of these mysteries will be left unanswered.

Then again, you never know. I have this nagging feeling that Season Four will have several flashbacks, and it will deal with things that the previous seasons haven't, both for characters and for the sort of mythology of the series. I don't know what form this will take (if it happens at all) but I wouldn't be surprised if some more things were hinted at and left for us to piece together. Maybe even things related to Applejack's past. Still, I don't know if we'll ever fully understand what happened.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to me that she would move to Manehatten because of grief. One of Applejack's defining characteristics is her dependability, and I can't really see her leaving her family immediately after something so turbulent had happened. Also, I could see her depending even more on the family she had left for comfort and support. Hm. I still can't make much sense of it.

The big source of the mystery is Apple Bloom. If she were there in the flashback, or was even hinted at, we'd have some kind of timeframe. Hm. Maybe Apple Bloom is adopted? Maybe another branch of the family died out and they decided to take in their orphan filly? I kind of like that idea actually. I'm still really confused. Rats.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 5

I personally don't think so. I feel like the shooting star scene in Apple Family Reunion was a big revelation regarding Applejack's history, but due to the general darkness of the subject I think that a lot of these mysteries will be left unanswered.

Then again, you never know. I have this nagging feeling that Season Four will have several flashbacks, and it will deal with things that the previous seasons haven't, both for characters and for the sort of mythology of the series. I don't know what form this will take (if it happens at all) but I wouldn't be surprised if some more things were hinted at and left for us to piece together. Maybe even things related to Applejack's past. Still, I don't know if we'll ever fully understand what happened.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to me that she would move to Manehatten because of grief. One of Applejack's defining characteristics is her dependability, and I can't really see her leaving her family immediately after something so turbulent had happened. Also, I could see her depending even more on the family she had left for comfort and support. Hm. I still can't make much sense of it.

The big source of the mystery is Apple Bloom. If she were there in the flashback, or was even hinted at, we'd have some kind of timeframe. Hm. Maybe Apple Bloom is adopted? Maybe another branch of the family dies out and they decided to take in their orphan filly? I kind of like that idea actually. I'm still really confused. Rats.

Remind me again what is so good about knowing everything? if we know everything then there is no mystery. Without mystery there is no wonder. I personally enjoy the sense of mystery - one could call this an error in writing where there writers didn't plug the holes properly.

Anyway I love MLP and everything however the fourth season is coming and shows like this usually last about that long. I would expect some big things to come because the show is right about in its end game where things get wrapped up. I could be dead wrong and season fie could come out though.

Edited by ~Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 2

Remind me again what is so good about knowing everything? if we know everything then there is no mystery. Without mystery there is no wonder. I personally enjoy the sense of mystery - one could call this an error in writing where there writers didn't plug the holes properly.

I like knowing things and I like mystery. Personally I think that if EVERYTHING were explained then it would be kind of boring, but I wouldn't mind a bit more info here and there, especially about the pasts of major characters.

This is what I found at MLP wiki:

"The whereabouts of Applejack's parents is touched on in the episode Apple Family Reunion. At the end of the episode, the shot fades to a view of Sweet Apple Acres as two shooting stars fly through the sky. The shooting stars are meant to represent Applejack's parents, according to storyboard artist Sabrina Alberghetti.[3] Lauren Faust had previously mentioned that the whereabouts of Applejack's parents has not been planned, and that the show is unlikely to mention that they've passed away."

I like knowing things and I like mystery. Personally I think that if EVERYTHING were explained then it would be kind of boring, but I wouldn't mind a bit more info here and there, especially about the pasts of major characters.

I suppose you're right it would help to have a little more information on certain characters  I would like to know about Scootaloo's family a bit more. Out of the Cutie Mark Crusaders we know the least about her past. We know about Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, however all we know about Scootaloo is that she loves Rainbow Dash and wants to be mentored by her.

I think the elaboration on the story could be in Season 4, sooner then later.

But as for Applejack's parents, they are basically dead which they are represented as the shooting stars in the Apple Family Reunion. But we might see some explanations on the whole Apple Bloom backstory. I could say that she is her sister of course but, we could literally look more into that. Applejack when she ran away and went to Manehattan, and probably her parents were dead way before that occured. But I do know this, we will definitely see more of her story.

Edited by ~Chaotic Lightning~

I think the elaboration on the story could be in Season 4, sooner then later.

But as for Applejack's parents, they are basically dead which they are represented as the shooting stars in the Apple Family Reunion. But we might see some explanations on the whole Apple Bloom mystery. I could say that she is her sister of course but, we could literally look more into that. Applejack when she ran away and went to Manehattan, and probably her parents were dead way before that occured. But I do know this, we will definitely see more of her story.

What mystery? Apple Bloom is Apple Jack's sister - Apple Jack consistently calls her "sis" and other things like that. They also do the "sister event" thing or whatever the heck its called. Apple Jack and Apple Bloom's parents are dead end of story.

For those of you speculating over these little things let this 90's movie poster do the talking...

img-1265694-1-yY15u2G.jpg

Edited by ~Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 2

Lol, why does every story about a family farm need some kind of weirdness or death in the family to feel real, it's actually quite funny that a family dynamic that could be as unique as it is in the real world is boiled down to a sterotype.

Lol, why does every story about a family farm need some kind of weirdness or death in the family to feel real, it's actually quite funny that a family dynamic that could be as unique as it is in the real world is boiled down to a sterotype.

Because without conflict you don't have a story. You'll just have the dreaded nightmare cartoons like G3 and G3.5 of empty headed ponies basking in the afternoon sun.

• Brohoof 1

Because without conflict you don't have a story. You'll just have the dreaded nightmare cartoons like G3 and G3.5 of empty headed ponies basking in the afternoon sun.

If I were you I'd respect those old shows. Without them they would have never have built up to G4. A lot of the ponies we love are based off of the old designs.

Why does everyone talk about Applejack like the death of her parents is a bad and dark issue. Dying shouldn't be as sensitive issue as it is. I'd love nothing more than for there to be an episode on the subject.

It's bad to kill... it's not bad to die. 

the show is unlikely to mention that they've passed away."

sad.png

Hmph...frankly, I don't think Applejack will break down into tears after remembering a smidgen of them or something. She's...what, in her twenties now? At least ten years have passed since her parents died. She could cope. She is not a weakling, and I don't like it very much when she's always represented in fanfics as a pony who couldn't handle it after a long time. What's really the sad part of it, at least for me, is not her parents' death, nor what Applejack felt after they did, but how that affected Applejack as a character, as a whole. 

Think about it...independent, always willing to help others, being more of a motherly figure to Apple Bloom, always working on the apple farm rather than spending time doing what she normally should do. Stubbornly thinking that she could take on Sweet Apple Acres all by herself, even though it seemed futile in the beginning. I remember something @Wingnut said...Fluttershy responded to the brutality she endured as a filly with kindness instead of revenge. It's the same situation here with our seemingly ordinary apple farmer. Most would delve into depression, not willing to face anybody, to talk to anyone, prone to violence and whatnot. Applejack, instead, decided that she will fill the hole that were her parents, taking up responsibility. For an entire few acres of an apple farm, not to mention her little sister, who is...quite hard to manage, causing trouble with her cutie mark cravings.

Anyway, I sort of shifted from the original idea...ahem. It's unlikely that they'll follow the story, because of the little kids that watch the show and all. We can certainly guess and make up stories for it, though. 

• Brohoof 1

I always thought that Applejacks parents traveled around a lot. They would travel to all of the different apple farms and just see how things are going. They returned home, AJ's mom is pregnant with Applebloom and stay for some time. At this point Big Mac and AJ both have cutie marks. AB is born soon and they stay around the farm for a couple of mouths and then have to leave again to check out the other farms. Later on they would just die from a storm or falling off a mountain, or just something like that.

So that was my idea why they weren't around at all. They had a job as head of the Apple family. I never did think they were dead. 

Personally, the two shooting stars that were shown as Applejack looked out the window already shows that the two have either passed away. Shooting stars in TV shows often represent a character(s) that is/are so closely connected to the character watching the show that it provides a nostalgic feeling for them. Honestly, those hints show that the producers believe the older audiences should realize this already and that they probably wouldn't divulge on the details because the younger audiences don't need to know that yet. Yes you can reference death being canon by the funeral in "Hearts and Hooves Day", but I don't think the younger audience would actually notice that unless they're extremely observant.

Hmph...frankly, I don't think Applejack will break down into tears after remembering a smidgen of them or something. She's...what, in her twenties now? At least ten years have passed since her parents died. She could cope. She is not a weakling, and I don't like it very much when she's always represented in fanfics as a pony who couldn't handle it after a long time. What's really the sad part of it, at least for me, is not her parents' death, nor what Applejack felt after they did, but how that affected Applejack as a character, as a whole.

It has been nearly 15 years since my Grandma died (she was only 64) and I still to this day have the occasional moment where I do break down, this dosen't make me a weakling and Applejack having an occasional moment where she does this over her parents wouldn't make her a weakling either. You are right though that much of Applejacks work ethic and maturity is of course due to this and it is one of the main things I like about her as a character that much of what motivates her is a desire to honor her parents memory. When I see Applebloom I often see what Applejack might have been like had her parents not died as I think Applebloom was most likely to young to remember them.

I don't think they will ever tell the whole story in the show because childrens show seem very reluctant to deal with death.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2

Well I think theres just parts of Applejack's story that are left implied, because they're to dark for the shows rating.

Applejacks parents are dead in the present of the show. I assume that either AJ's parents where dead in that scene, and Applebloom was just to young to come out and watch her sister leave or something, or that her parents where alive and Applebloom wasn't born.

I think that she basically just moved there because she didn't enjoy her apple bucking word on the farm and such, she wanted to be a fancy Manehattan pony. But she eventually realized that it wasn't what she thought it would be, and she missed her family and moved back, immediately getting to work of course, especially after finding out it was her talent.

Maybe its possible it'll be touched on a bit in S4, but I'm not sure how much, some of its a bit darker for the age rating, so I'm not so sure it'll happen, its kinda the same way I feel about Scootaloo being an orphan(Or atleast I feel its implied she is. thats kinda a headcannon, but It feels pretty implied to me).

Some subjects probably won't be touched on in the show though because of the darkness of the overall theme I guess, thats one of the things with the rating of the show afterall.

• Brohoof 3