Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do the mane 6 need to be "balanced?"

Pony Of The Month

My point of view is that Hasbro or the other show producers took to much advantage of the other ponies. As a act of favoritism, they honestly didn't care at all of the other ponies that helped Twilight, but just made her an alicorn out of the fact that they liked her better. It has been this way from the start. Instead of giving Twilight a necklace, they made her a crown. She always solves all the problems. I know it isn't Twilight's fault, its the other people's. I hate it when things like that happen. 

When they do this, they basically say: "We like this pony more than the rest. Now, she's better than all of the others."

As the show continues on in the fourth season, all of the bronies and the pegasisters will start to see even more of it. 

Couldn't have said it better myself frankly. I don't see the reason why there needs to be total balance between the races. I mean I understand some reasons people are concerned and dislike Alicorn Twilight and I respect those, but the balance thing doesn't really fly for me. And I still think Alicorn Twilight won't change a whole lot, besides opening up more oppertunites for episodes and stuff.

I'm on the side of a postive outlook on Alicorn Twilight right now, but overall I remain neutral as not much has been shown from her(Although the way she acts in Equestria girls actually gave me a bit of reassurance that shes still Twilight.) Once S4 is out it'll be easier to make judgement of her.

Regardless I agree with your points you brought up, the mane 6's race shouldn't matter that much.

• 7 years later...

The balance between the three pony types in the mane cast was a neat detail that really added to the already fun dynamic of the characters themselves. It gave viewers a good look at each of the three pony types abilities and showed their friendship without even having to mention it explicitly. This wasn't the same after Twilight became an alicorn though. Not only did it reduce the amount of unicorns in the mane cast to one, but it also made the pegasi seem less important to the group, since Twilight now also had wings. This lack of balance was definitely noticed by me, and I did find it slightly annoying.

Another issue which sprouted from Twilight becoming an alicorn is her status. Before, all six members felt equally important in their own way, but afterwards, Twilight was seemingly put on a pedestal above the rest. She "stole the show" in quite a few premiers and finales, and tended to be considered the most important member of the group. It was almost like the group could function relatively fine if any other member was gone, but would collapse instantly without her. Whether or not this is actually true, it did feel this way at times, and it didn't help that the writers had a tendency to favor some characters over others, Twilight being a big example of that. Considering that the group supposed to embody mutual friendship, this change did negatively impact the dynamic of the mane six, in my opinion.