Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

1995-09-08.jpg

Any love for the old Burlington Northern SD40-2's? I use to love seeing these as a child. Shame you don't really see them much anymore, as the Dash 9 replaced a lot of them and the remaining ones have the BNSF paint scheme. 

Edited by TheRavenAviator
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

Woo! This topic is back from the dead! Time for me to comment. Let's see....Well, I too like trains. For some reason I have always liked them since I was very young. I loved the trackers, the trains themselves, and even the crossings with the barriers and the their lights, I get detailed with my obsessions. :P I don't know a whole lot about them on a technical level as I don't exactly do research on them or anything, but I do love watching trains go by or watching on board train videos, as well as train simulator games. Been playing Train Sim World on Xbox One and I like it a lot, despite some of its flaws. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Recent train stuff from New York City in under 3 pictures.

Pic 1. This was taken a few weeks ago (the last week of September) at Flushing Avenue, Brooklyn. To the left we see and a R160 (M) train passing by an R143 (J) train to the right. The middle track is used for express trains during rush hours (AM Manhattan-bound, PM Queens-bound). The station in the distance that (J) train is heading to is Lorimer Street station and further down the line after the tracks curve to the left is Hewes Street station. tumblr_pg7282zuRx1uwu5blo9_1280.jpg

Pic 2. This was also taken a month ago. Here is a South Ferry-bound (1) train arriving at the WTC-Cortlandt station on the first day of it's re-opening, 9/8/2018. The stop had been destroyed from the debris of the towers during the 9/11 attacks, suspending the (1) & (9) line south of Chambers Street. It stayed closed once full service was restored in 2002. The MTA had to wait until the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey and Silverstein Properties had re-built the site above the station. tumblr_pg7282zuRx1uwu5blo2_1280.jpg

Pic 3. This one's from 4 months ago. Here's an R188 (7) train arriving at 74th Street-Broadway on a nice and hot day. The (7) train is one of the most famous subway lines on the network and is heavily loved among railfans here. CBTC signaling (an advanced signal system in use on the (L) train) is being installed throughout the line, and is expected to be completed at the end of the year. tumblr_pbk1u3HODi1uwu5blo1_1280.jpg

Edited by TransitPony
Additional pictures and photos as well as info

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

French railfan here! :D

TGV-Duplex1_59b018d9c9f41.jpg

I've loved them since I was little. Be them new trains or old trains. Image above is the French TGV (obviously!) and image below is the Capitole, an Express train which used to link Paris and Toulouse in 6 hours at 200km/h (125mph)

a8bb65e61f6a8eaa13d1b6d019ee0fdf15161132

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, SparklingSwirls said:

Trains are great! I’d love to ride more of them all around the world.

Been thinking about taking the train from DC to NYC for a day this summer :ooh: 

Northeast Regional or Acela Express? The former is slightly slower but cheaper, though Acela Express is up to high speed rail standards (and currently the only high speed rail in the US). You might want to ride it before 2022 when it'll be replaced by Avelia Liberty, which would update the line with tilting high speed trains that would be closer to par with European trains.

Unfortunately, the northeast part of the US is the only region where you can get legitimately good Amtrak service. Due to poor federal funding and lack of interest by politicians, in most parts of the US it frequently suffers from outdated trains and deteriorating infrastructure. Additionally, outside of the northeast US, Amtrak doesn't actually own the tracks it rides on and leases it from freight companies, meaning freight trains get priority on those tracks while passenger trains have to wait for them to pass by. So if you live in that region, you're lucky to actually get a taste of decent rail service and good public transport. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Posting here with a historical note. 

Shown here are subway cars built by the Kawasaki Rail Car company during the Heisei era currently serving the NYC metro area. The era is ending this Tuesday when Akihito abdicates the throne after 30 years as the Emperor of Japan. His son Naruhito will ascend the throne afterwards, thus commencing the Reiwa era. I felt to give these a mention as a farewell to childhood; I grew up with these subway cars during Heisei and the end of this era will be something to look back on. 

tumblr_ppnw92x0Ko1uwu5blo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_ppnw92x0Ko1uwu5blo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ppnulg04OM1uwu5blo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_ppnvlgMM0Y1uwu5blo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ppnvlgMM0Y1uwu5blo3_1280.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
(edited)

I like that game mini metro if that counts haha

Sometimes I like to copy the london underground trains. Also the trains in Japan have cool tunes

Edited by flurry

16 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

I LIKE TRAINS BUT NOT CHARACTER MINIMUMS

Almost not forum allowed, lol. Now I like trains too! :sassy: