Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I have seen 4006 many times, considering the fact i live literally 3 miles from it's current residence here in St. Louis. Anyhow, since we are on the topic of steam locomotives, I thought i'd share some of my photos of steam trains that have rolled through St. Louis.

post-14136-0-98521300-1364685247_thumb.jpg

NKP 765, Maintained by Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society in Indiana. September 2012

post-14136-0-60536100-1364685414_thumb.jpg

Union Pacific 844, Maintained by the Union Pacific Steam Program based in Cheyenne. June 2011

post-14136-0-94224900-1364685396_thumb.jpg

Union Pacific 3985, the closest relative to the Big Boy, maintained by the Union Pacific Steam Program based in Cheyenne, June 2010

To see any of the steam locomotives in person, check to see if their running near you on their respective websites:

http://fwrhs.org/

http://upsteam.com/

Edited by FriscoPony
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love steam locomotives. There's nothing more representative of the industrial revolution that the sight of those colossal, iron beasts with their massive boilers - pistons churning and smoke spewing.

attachicon.gifGreatWesternRailway175thAnniversary2.jpg

This almost looks looks like a scene out of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Does anypony else love classic British railways? I can't get enough of them....

I can see why you thought of thomas when you saw this. City of Truro actually has been on thomas the tank engine before which is funny how you brought this up. (maybe returning home? :3)

British steam locomotives are very beautiful, but at the same time I prefer american steamers simply because i believe there is more variety, and they are simply massive (standing next to one, you'd understand why native americans thought they were fire breathing monsters)

I see your 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" and I raise you this:

3730664648_a2f2c1a373.jpg

This is the UP 6936 DD40X. The brother of the "Big Boy"

And this being my personal favorite:

amt707eL.jpgThe Amtrak Genesis. A very cool looking train in my opinion.

Old trains are cool, but steam engines are better....nothing can be the industrial revolution....In fact I am turning out LP tank into a decorative steam engine (while being functional). 

enginelg.jpg

steam_engine.jpg

I see your 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" and I raise you this:

img-1379805-1-3730664648_a2f2c1a373.jpg

This is the UP 6936 DD40X. The brother of the "Big Boy"

And this being my personal favorite:

img-1379805-2-amt707eL.jpgThe Amtrak Genesis. A very cool looking train in my opinion.

steam locomotives are better than anything out there, id prefer a big boy over the DD-40, seeing as how there are more big boys than DD-40s x3

but i take that and raise you, i got to drive a desiel, and saw one of the DD-40Ax's up close

post-3469-0-42124500-1366246308_thumb.jpg

post-3469-0-66729500-1366246469_thumb.jpg

the locomotive i got to operate was a switcher, but they did have a couple of F-7's from the western pacific and even a GP-9 from the southern pacific.

hers the DD-40 

post-3469-0-04712100-1366246345_thumb.jpg

heres the GP-9

post-3469-0-73410800-1366246507_thumb.jpg

this was about 7-8 mnonths ago, and it was a blast, hoping to do it again this year, and hopefully get to operate the GP-9 road loco.

then on that same trip heres some other pictures 

post-3469-0-29911300-1366246611_thumb.jpg 

post-3469-0-09799200-1366246618_thumb.jpg

post-3469-0-26294800-1366246627_thumb.jpg

post-3469-0-53348100-1366246633_thumb.jpg

and one of my local commuter desiel x3

post-3469-0-59064200-1366246603_thumb.jpg

I love the steam locomotives. The "Big Boy" and the "Challenger" are 2 of my favorites. I also have many favorite diesel locomotives too. I haven't had the pleasure to see one up close but I know i'd love too.

This was my childhood, right here. Thomas the Tank Engine was the best thing evar.

I love the Polar Express, as well. It was just an instant classic, and I still simply love the music. It's my favourite Christmas... well, anything.

Also, my dorm is right next to the train tracks. They lie only about 20 feet away from the building, and it shakes every night when a train passes. It's almost comforting.

Edited by Glaceon

God, theres nothing like the sound of an EMD powerplant under full throttle. The old F units and GP-9's sound rather fantastic.

And the old ALCOS as well. Best noise in the world. Shame there's not really many first gen diesels in service anymore.

God, theres nothing like the sound of an EMD powerplant under full throttle. The old F units and GP-9's sound rather fantastic.

And the old ALCOS as well. Best noise in the world. Shame there's not really many first gen diesels in service anymore.

well, with only one mile of track you cant put it to full power, but still, it was very fun to be able to drive one of those locomotives.....in all honesty, i think that switcher WAS and EMD....i cant remember...

wait here it is, its a EMD/general motors TR-6A switcher quincy railroad 1100 "little lulu."

This is definately where my liking of trains stemmed from:

220px-Thomas_Tank_Engine_1.JPG

Loved this show so much when I was young! I would watch it all day every day from when I was 5-8 ish :)

• Brohoof 1

Diseasels! So many diseasels! Im mostly a steam guy so diesels are not my cup of tea on a sunday. So many diseasels, theyre everywhere....

PSWM02.jpg

diseals are best trains after all :D plus the GP-9 looks freaking sweet, 

though i will say, southern pacific had the coolest looking locomotives

like the 4-8-8-2 cab forward

sp4206.jpg

and my personal favorite the 4449 daylight

3705308847_04c7580432.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick reminder that May 11 is National Train Day in the United States. Train Day is usually celebrated the weekend closest to May 10, which also is the date when the transcontinental was completed in 1869. Feel free to go to a lical train station or transportation museum to celebrate americas railroad heritage. Dont be afraid to go "Locomotive"

144 years ago today at Promontory Summit, Utah, America was finally linked together with a railroad line. Now that the country was linked together with a transcontinental railroad, travel time between the east and west coast was dramatically reduced from 6 months to just under two weeks! Not only did it make travel easier, it lowered prices on many common items as the economy bgan to boom, all thanks to the railroads. 

post-14136-0-70802100-1368203957_thumb.jpg

National train day! That's amazing! 
Just makes me wish the American railroads could be as vast as they once were. Seems highways basically annihilated the majority of passenger rail after the 60's. Kind of a shame. Though I do take Amtrak whenever possible

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I also have an appreciation of trains you could say. I did have one really bad experience on one a while back, but I still like them. Detour took way to long.

Edited by Conbon

• 4 weeks later...

ehh, the hogwarts express is okay, its just basically a repainted flying scotsman.

its a beautiful locomotive, but i prefer more american steam,, they just have power behind them.

Heresy!

(what a first word for a new member of the herd to type)

But to call a Great Western engine as a LNER one... 

Charles Collett will be spinning in his grave!

Hello all.   New here.

Having only three days ago discovered there was such a thing as a MLP train, I now own more than one such.

And then I went looking to see what comment there might be on this My Little Pony / Train fusion, which turned up this thread. 

Doing odd things with trains seems to be my thing.  I currently have a small Sylvanian Familes display railway under construction.PICT0004_opt.jpg

So I was keen to have a look at the MLP train and its engineering,  to see how it might developed  

train.jpg

(Insert evil laugh here?)

I am somewhat the Dr Frankenstein of the model railway world, but "no ponies will be harmed in the course of..."

And there is certainly potential for doing one or two things to the set "as purchased" to produce something unique.

Cheers, 

Chris.

144 years ago today at Promontory Summit, Utah, America was finally linked together with a railroad line. Now that the country was linked together with a transcontinental railroad, travel time between the east and west coast was dramatically reduced from 6 months to just under two weeks! Not only did it make travel easier, it lowered prices on many common items as the economy bgan to boom, all thanks to the railroads. 

guess what, i live in utah and got to see both locomotives, the jupiter and whatever the UP one was.......

in any case, recently in ogden utah, i got to see one of the locomotives ive wanted to see for a long long long long time

UP3985_Ozark-0005.jpg

I feel quite lucky now Im from England and we have this

attachicon.gifDS050580_2.png

Mallard the fastest steam locomotive in the world. Well it was only 125.8mph but still considering it weighs more then 100tons and runs on coal and water thats still pretty quick.

4449idle.jpg

better than the mallard :3 what it is, the 4449 daylight just looks more awesome, and is definetly more powerful, at least to me.

• Brohoof 1