Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Phobia of Needles

sdjaigjaig

Hello everypony I have a fear of Needles or more rarely known as trypanophobia.

Well i'm gonna get a vactionation on the 25th for 3 sicknesses.

And i will even go to the point of fighting back,screaming, punch the doctor ECT...

Could anypony please help me because this shot is VERY important.

Everypony keeps telling me it will only fell like a mosquito bite (Yeah right it hurts like hell)

Anyways the shot is for Rubella,Measles and Mumps.

• Brohoof 1

I dunno what to tell you really, I mean you have to get the shots if you want to stay healthy, yeah the shots hurt like heck sometimes, but theres no real alternative to be honest.

However I would like to add that if possible you should try not to punch fight back or anything, all that does is make it hurt more because it makes your muscles strain and then possibly poke into that, not to mention the nurse or doctor can possibly mess up something.

Maybe bite your tongue, or just close your eyes, or if you prefer open them, or don't look, whatever makes you feel most comfortable, have someone like you mother or something maybe sooth you in some way so it doesn't hurt as much, sometimes if you just don't look it'll be over before you know it.

I can't really say anyone likes needles to be honest, but everyones gotta get some form of a shot at somepoint really, or risk being sick or possibly even with your life at risk, I just take it like would I rather be dead/sick or feel some pain for a bit?

Good luck though, hope you can atleast conquer your fears for this amount of time for the shot :). I know you can do it :D.

• Brohoof 1

Wow. that's sad. Anyways, I have recently had to get an injection. I remember that I thought that it would hurt, but then I counted to 3 and by the time, the doctor had finished. It hurts no more than an ant bite.

But I also had the comfort of my dad, who was by my side, who was, BTW, the doctor who gave me the injection XP

All the same, it really doesn't hurt much, although the second time I punched the second doctor the second time I went for shots.

Edited by Fireball Rush

But the problem is i have had this problem for 13 years now so it's not that easy also the problem is not the needles by themselves it is that i hate sharp objects because one of my classmates stabbed me in the hand with a pen in 2nd grade.

Mostly because i punched him in the face

You'll be alright, I have a bit of a fear of needles too. One thing that really helped me was to not look at the syringe at all, it always looks a lot worse than it actually is. I've discovered it's looking at the needle itself that triggers the fear.

Another good thing to try is to tense the muscles on the side of you that isn't getting the needle, maybe squeeze some kind of object really hard so the muscles in your other arm are relaxed. Both of these tips really helped me when I was hospitalized as a kid and they needed daily blood samplings.

Edited by Celtore

I know what you mean when they say it doesn't hurt that much. But for me it always does.

I absolutely despise needles but i'm not afraid of them so i'm not sure if this will work.

For me I would just pretend there is no doctor and think of something and concentrate on it. Like maybe someone you hate and if you feel pain blame it on them in your mind. (weird but it works for me). Or just relax yourself by humming a song before.

Hope this helpedlaugh.png  

I have tried doing those things before but my brain just says like. Dude holy shit don't mind it but there is a sharp metal rod heading right for your arm. And i get a panic attack i also used to hate going to the dentist i once bit one.

What i also hate is my right arm stops working for like 7 hours atleast then it hurts for 3 more days.

Well, I don't think I've gotten those shots before, but I've had my fair share of shots. I've had to get allergy shots every week since I was around 6. I stopped when I was like 10, but I've had to start up again this summer, because my allergies have been so bad. Anyway, shots are only as scary as you think they're gonna be. If you think they're gonna be painful, then they're gonna be painful. If you don't think they'll be painful, they won't be painful. I would try not to hit the doctor, or try to not get the shot, because that's only gonna make it take longer. You're only delaying the inevitable. I've found that moving your fingers in the arm you're getting the shot in makes it not hurt as much. Anyway, good luck.

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty scared of needles too :(

Just don't look at the needle, think of ponies, and try to stay calm. You don't want to be put in a straight jacket. :P

If there's one thing I've learned after having tons of shots and having blood drawn quite often, it's that thinking about it makes it worse.

If you just stay relaxed and try not to think about it, it'll be over before you know it. 

Whenever I have to get a shot or have blood drawn, I usually watch the needle go in so I know when I can expect some pain, but after that it gets better.

I had those when I was a baby. Anyways, its a Phobia. Phobias are hard to break. I guess I would advise not looking, focus on something else...like think of something good. Don't pay attention. Or even talk to someone who is with you like a parent or the doctor. Make conversation. Im however not afraid of needles, but I still ignore them, because I hear that if you focus on the needle, it hurts worse.

I myself don't really have a phobia for needles but rather the phobia for when some kind of liquid or substance that get injected through needles or infusion, which is a form of the phobia called trypanophobia. I really can't do anything about it but everytime I see someone get injected with anything I get really nauseous, even had to puke once in class, it's not that I'm scared of them, I just feel sick seeing something like that.

The thing I do is just look the other way, close my eyes and relax the limb where the injection is going to be. No need to get all tense because that's only going to make it harder for both you and the doctor.

I don't know if this will help, but when I've had to get an injection and been nervous, I've listened to music I really like on headphones. It kind of helps distract me.

Quoted you so I could talk directly to you (in case I get lost in a sea of replies). I have to tell you I have this EXACT phobia to this extent, but I have found something that distracts myself through it.

I sing.

Out loud. ((For me it's Mary had a little lamb in Japanese, but whatever you want is fine))

and it's usually done before the song is over and it doesn't hurt me as much due to being distracted.  

I hope this helps smile.png

I'm sorry to hear that you're in such a difficult situation. My recommendation would be to make your doctor fully aware of your condition. Perhaps you could be put into restraints, or, if it would be safe to do so, given a general anesthetic, depending on what your doctor thought would be the best course of action.

I have the exact same phobia, to tell you the truth, therefore I know exactly what you mean; however, I know exactly why it hurts like hell:

the more tense you are when the needle goes in, the more it hurts, due to the muscles contracting and getting in the way of the needle, so the most important thing, even if you probably heard it a million times, is to try and relax, which probably sounds like an impossible thing to accomplish, but I give you my absolute word: once you relax, you don't even feel the moment of the sting

try and focus on breathing, other things in the room (NEVER look at the needle going in, trust me, look away); if you think it works better, bite down hard on something (not your finger or hand) to focus away from the needle going in, although from my experience, that doesn't work very well

also, it helps if you have a positive attitude; since the fear is mostly in your head, thinking of positive things (like 'this will make me better' or 'it'll soon be over' or even completely different things like MLP) might make it easier; also, yes, the shot is actually highly helpful, so keep that in mind: it's better to be pricked by a needle for a second than to have some super nasty disease, you know? and it really is over in the blink of an eye

another very important thing is not to think about it too much, meaning in the days prior to the day of the shot, you'll only make it worse when it comes; focus on fun activities, have great days, leave the fear away for when the day arrives

also, SCS posted a very helpful advice: before the shot, talk to the doctor, let him know of your phobia and ask him for advice on how to avoid or counter your fear of needles

well, that's about all I had to say, hope my post was helpful and I wish you lots of luck

Edited by Delzepp

I hate needles when I get shots but I love getting tattoos and I have 3 of those. Tell me how that works. -_- lol anyway I usually just have them do 3..2..1.. Go! and give me the shot. I still hate them though. :/ One time when I was 8 I had to get a shot and I freaked out at the doctors office and was scream that what they were doing was illegal. My poor mother how embarressed she was. blush.png

• 6 years later...

Ever since I was a child, I hated getting vaccinations and having blood drawn. Needles terrify me to the bone. It’s not the sight that gets to me, it’s the pain that comes with being punctured. I get so worked up over the pain that is coming that I become extremely stressed. I suffer from vasovagal syncope so almost every time I get a shot, I faint.

I don't like needles... But since dealing with all of my foot problems over the last year and a half, and having numerous shots - including a blood test, steroid injections, and dry needling, I'm just like "Do it, if it helps me". I don't want to be in constant pain. 10 or so seconds of sharp pain versus not being able to even get up, walk or do anything without a lot of pain is like nothing. I know some people just can't deal with needles and I understand that (and would hate to have such a deep fear and be dealing with my condition or any other condition like mine), but for everyone else, once you have chronic pain that weighs down your life and makes you depressed like me, needles become so minor.