Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Multiverse Theory: Opinions and Discussion

why

Do you belive in the multiverse theory?  

36 users have voted

1. 1. Do you belive in the multiverse theory?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

If its true, then that means everything exists. EVERYTHING. The fact that humans think it up too is just a coincidence. Just like I'm sure humans are a mythical creature in some of these universes.

Not necessarily.  There could be an infinite number of universes where the only difference is the location of my pen here (which is on my desk in this universe). 

(edited)

Not necessarily.  There could be an infinite number of universes where the only difference is the location of my pen here (which is on my desk in this universe). 

That is possible, but eventually the number of places your pen could be will theoretically run out, once every single Planck-length on the desk has had the pen on it, at every angle. There could be repeats (but then the Pauli Exclusion Principle might come into play somehow, we still have yet to hammer out the relativistic-quantum relationship), but more importantly, what about the consequences of the pen being in all these different places?

Consequences are the reason I think all these universes are diverse. Minute changes like these probably go back to the genesis of every universe. What if the fundamental forces are just a little different in each universe? Minute, but just a slight change in...say, the strength of the gravitational or electromagnetic force would mean solar systems could develop completely differently, and so would life. 

And there's also possibly universes where the laws of physics are drastically different - where the nature of the relationship between the quantum and relativistic worlds are different, where totally different fundamental forces govern existence - and that opens up the possibility for completely new concepts I can't even comprehend. 

Seemingly minuscule differences could have drastic consequences down the road. Drastic changes could make consequences we can't even comprehend.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

(edited)
Umm... Pretty sure Quantum Mechanics is the theory of how atoms behave...

Isn't the theory of how atoms behave Atomic Physics? I might be wrong I might be right, I don't really care.

If there is a infinite number of universes then surely one would be exactly like the Equestria in the show that we all know and love. But if that is the case then wouldn't it also be 2-Dimensional? Seeing as we humans exist in three dimensions would it be possible for us to exist in a universe where everything lives in two dimensions? Even if we could exist in their universe would we lose a dimension of our existence? Would we become 2-D? And if we did what would happen if we came back to our universe? Would we regain the dimension that we lost? Or would we remain 2-D?

Did I just stop making sense?

I've just confused myself with my own question. Wonderful. Could someone please tell me if I just made sense and if my questions were just stupid and pointless. 

Edited by British Brony
  • Brohoof 1

Isn't the theory of how atoms behave Atomic Physics? I might be wrong I might be right, I don't really care.

If there is a infinite number of universes then surely one would be exactly like the Equestria in the show that we all know and love. But if that is the case then wouldn't it also be 2-Dimensional? Seeing as we humans exist in three dimensions would it be possible for us to exist in a universe where everything lives in two dimensions? Even if we could exist in there universe would we lose a dimension of our existence? Would we become 2-D? And if we did what would happen if we came back to our universe? Would we regain the dimension that we lost? Or would we remain 2-D?

Did I just stop making sense?

I've just confused myself with my own question. Wonderful. Could someone please tell me if I just made sense and if my questions were just stupid and pointless. 

No, Quantum Mechanics is atoms.

Whether it be how an electron travels in different orbitals, or how light is given off of different particles as they react.

And according to dimensional theories.  You couldn't ever visit a 2nd dimension.  As a 3rd dimension (as is ours) is composed of INFINITE 2nd dimensions, we can't simply view them.  They are like a plane.  As is a 4th dimension composed of 3rd dimensions and so on. 

So IFFFFF This were even possible to have an equestria out there, it would have to be 3 dimensional...which is still cool, but I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Right then, thank you Rainbow Dashey for clearing that up, you've just saved me about 1 and a half hours of my life researching dimensions and all the theories behind it in an attempt to answer my own question which would undoubtedly end in me getting a headache.

So thanks for the save.

Why don't we make it easier and create an Equestria? You know, like the Matrix. We only need to collect all Information about the show, all the crews thoughts and stuff about it and a working AI to do so. Should be feasible. At least more than the dimensional-travel.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

No, Quantum Mechanics is atoms.

Whether it be how an electron travels in different orbitals, or how light is given off of different particles as they react.

And according to dimensional theories.  You couldn't ever visit a 2nd dimension.  As a 3rd dimension (as is ours) is composed of INFINITE 2nd dimensions, we can't simply view them.  They are like a plane.  As is a 4th dimension composed of 3rd dimensions and so on. 

So IFFFFF This were even possible to have an equestria out there, it would have to be 3 dimensional...which is still cool, but I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Equestria, without a doubt is a 3D environment/world. We've seen plenty uses of depth and many different angles of different objects, which perfectly implies that Equestria exists with all 3 axes.

If there are multiple universes, the existence of somewhere a planet within a solar system in a galaxy someplace populated with pastel colored talking equines is very possible, maybe there are few to many to possibly comprehensible amount of duplicates with slightly to very dramatic differences. Meaning that perhaps that OCs that fellow Bronies have made live in one of them, or even multiple of them, taking of the exact detail as we made them.

I could go on for paragraphs about the subject. This kind of stuff fascinates me.

Edited by Binary

If there is an MLP universe out there, what if it isn't Friendship is Magic, what if it's G3? D:

Anyway, I know the whole mulitverse thing isn't real. But..

mlfw3537_small.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Well you see, matter in all actuality is made up of tiny vibrating strings. In all seriousness, it seems a bit too early to make a call. I don't like the language of it either. It's a bit too concrete for something of this magnitude.

On a semi-related tangent, Lawrence Krauss recently did a lecture on the shape of the universe and why its expanding and what have you. Near the end of it, he likens the expansion of the universe to the equivalent of opening a beer that was supercooled (i.e. forgotten in a freezer). I'm under the impression that it doesn't all freeze at the same time in a uniform manner as its under pressure. So if the early universe did originally expand like this and there was even a minute amount of mass present, would it not account for this gap? Or am I missing the mark?

'With infinite possibilities, comes infinite ways to screw the universe twice over'

I find this quote fitting. If we could traverse to other Universes and see what was inside, do you have any idea how long it would take to find an Earth/Equestria filled with ponies as the dominant species, and then talking with magic and wings?

lol.

Well you see, matter in all actuality is made up of tiny vibrating strings. In all seriousness, it seems a bit too early to make a call.

Lol, Superstring Theory/M-Theory is still a theory too, don't forget that we still have near to no idea of what we're talking about when we think of 'The Grand Unified Theory of Everything'

Lol, Superstring Theory/M-Theory is still a theory too, don't forget that we still have near to no idea of what we're talking about when we think of 'The Grand Unified Theory of Everything'

From what I've read about string theory, I wouldn't call it evidential. Yes, it describes how things work, but the proof is in the land of mathematica. But wouldn't it be awesome if it were right? The beauty of not knowing is severely underestimated.

• Brohoof 2

From what I've read about string theory, I wouldn't call it evidential. Yes, it describes how things work, but the proof is in the land of mathematica. But wouldn't it be awesome if it were right? The beauty of not knowing is severely underestimated.

Yeah, I was more replying to the part where they shot down another argument for being too soon to call while saying that a theory was 100% correct.

I do prescribe to it and agree with you though.

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Why don't we make it easier and create an Equestria? You know, like the Matrix. We only need to collect all Information about the show, all the crews thoughts and stuff about it and a working AI to do so. Should be feasible. At least more than the dimensional-travel.

This seem's like a much better possibility although.....

What would happen once the ponies realize they were created as a boon for a race of hyper intelligent beings who based a now sentient race of beings off of a children's cartoon series*.

*see my little dashie and world on a wire

Edited by DoctorWhoAreYouvian

(edited)

That would be the best thing ever. If we could find a way to alter the quantom field of the gasses from the big bang, or maybe even collect it, we could build a portal to universes. biggrin.png that would be the best thing ever!

funny-pictures-cat-will-do-science.jpg

Edited by Lightning_Flicker

This seem's like a much better possibility although.....

What would happen once the ponies realize they were created as a boon for a race of hyper intelligent beings who based a now sentient race of beings off of a children's cartoon series*.

*see my little dashie

...They would probably be thankful but at the same time sorta freaked out I mean they would be sentient but they still wouldn't be real. If they found out it was all a computer they would try to make it reality, but they couldn't. So in the end some miraculas thing would happen or they would learn to live with it over time. But who knows anythings possible. Oh BTW matrix like tech is only a few years away.

(edited)

...They would probably be thankful but at the same time sorta freaked out I mean they would be sentient but they still wouldn't be real. If they found out it was all a computer they would try to make it reality, but they couldn't. So in the end some miraculas thing would happen or they would learn to live with it over time. But who knows anythings possible. Oh BTW matrix like tech is only a few years away.

This would also raise a moral dilemma. Is it right to create sentient life? And if so is it safe to keep that life on a hard drive where the entire race nay the world neigh* the universe could be destroyed by pulling a plug? I think not. This route could only lead to misery for all of ponykind.

*see what i did there?

Edited by DoctorWhoAreYouvian
  • Brohoof 1

This would also raise a moral dilemma. Is it right to create sentient life? And if so is it safe to keep that life on a hard drive where the entire race nay the world neigh* the universe could be destroyed by pulling a plug? I think not. This route could only lead to misery for all of ponykind.

*see what i did there?

...yes that could definitely be a problem....hmmm don't really have a good argument but I'll attempt to make since here. Wouldn't it be better to have existed at all then to never had a chance of existing. Would you rather live for two days or not at all...? Alright if we were to give it tons of security ensuring it coudn't be destroyed then would it be right? This entire topic gives me a headache o.e

If Equestria really does exist, I wanna go xD

Lol living in Equestria seems so much better than this, Earth life.. Yeah, I wish there was a way to get there.

• Brohoof 2

If Equestria really does exist, I wanna go xD

Lol living in Equestria seems so much better than this, Earth life.. Yeah, I wish there was a way to get there.

If this is true than there are an infinite number of universe's that debate-ably may be better than equestria. I mean if equestria is out there than wouldn't it be better for the good of mankind and ponykind for two reason's. First off. Disease's i'm gonna go on a tangent DO YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF SUPER VIRUS'S THAT WOULD CREATE?!?! I mean alien equine virus's mingling with human virus's? Normal equine virus's with human virus's are bad but alien virus's? We would wipe out both race's. Second point. Why equestria? I mean if we could travel anywhere than who would wan't to go to equestria? I mean by the time we can get this kinda energy MLP will be left in the annals of history and also. why equestria? i mean i know this is a brony forum i for one would prefer to go to kanto.

OK, I'll bite. Whats Kanto?

Hmmm, a back up to Equestria might be Benny Hill Land. A Steampunk dimension might be cool too.

and then a star trek dimension so I could become addicted to a holodeck...whats the term, a Holodict?

What if the multiverse theory is actually true....

But we are in the multiverse where people never discover how to travel between multiverses? blink.png

......... And this is why a couple of people who are not scientist's nor philosophers really shouldn't be talking about stuff like this as it could explode our heads......

NAH we're fine doing this