Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favorite fanfiction is now canon.

Mand'alor Dash

66 users have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about this?

• Ecstatic! I love that the writers are embracing outside influences.
    • Great. I personally think my favorite would be a great addition to continuity.
    • Mixed. I'm happy for my favorite to be recognized, but recent events in the show have ruined some parts of it.
    • Worried. Show writers shouldn't need to rely on fans for ideas.
    • Oh, crap. My favorite fanfic is Cupcakes.
  2. 2. How would it affect the show?

• Positively. X character is developed more, Y plotline is better fleshed out, and Z just feels more enjoyable now.
    • Neutrally. Sure, X has been improved, but I think Y would have been better without outside influence.
    • Not at all. No real changes as far as I can tell.
    • Negatively. Now Z just feels ruined! And don't even get me started on W!

No, not the fanfic you think would work best in the universe, and not the one you've been writing in your spare time, not even the fic of your choice, but simply your favorite. Lauren Faust tweets that the events of that fanfic are now 100% canon and totally happened in the FiM world.

What are your reactions? How well do you think this fic would fit into the universe? Finally, how do you think it would affect future episodes of the series? Would the show get better, or worse in the wake of this new piece of canon?

• Brohoof 1

Oh, Pony Psychology.

Wherein the Elements, being pure expressions of themselves, are too much for mortals to bear and start to wear on the minds of the Mane 6, Twilight is immortal because she's made of Magic (and is killed/reborn by Celestia's order), and we get some cool backstory on Alicorns/worldbuilding (Nightmare Moon and Celestia's current form are because of their mother and father's war armor, Luna created the Everfree forest in an attempt of creating a self-sustaining world.)

Sounds good to me.

• Brohoof 1

Without going into detail as to what my favorite fanfic is if that became canon there would be a lot of very very angry parents and more than a few kids scarred for life so I think I am going to cheat and exclude that from my answer entirely. My favorite clean fanfic Understudy which is where Celestia goes on vacation and leaves Luna in charge would make a very interesting episode and would be great character development for Luna.

I foresee no problems were "The Light in the Darkness" to become canon. Without spoiling anything for those who haven't read it (and to you I have to ask why not?!), this story would perfectly fit in without ruining any established canon, and has massive amounts of character development for both Pinkie and Dash. Plus, it's heartwarming at its finest and would make an excellent episode IMO. 

Xenophillia.

Pretty much exactly the same, except for a few cultural tweeks (and a few other things that would not be explored in the show itself), and Rainbow Dash, Twilight and Lyra have a human boyfriend.

My favorite fanfics are ones that should totally not be canon, because they provide a different perspective on the show- Conversion bureau fanfics.  So yeah... making them canon?  *Really* bad move, IMO.

Oh, Pony Psychology.

Wherein the Elements, being pure expressions of themselves, are too much for mortals to bear and start to wear on the minds of the Mane 6, Twilight is immortal because she's made of Magic (and is killed/reborn by Celestia's order), and we get some cool backstory on Alicorns/worldbuilding (Nightmare Moon and Celestia's current form are because of their mother and father's war armor, Luna created the Everfree forest in an attempt of creating a self-sustaining world.)

Sounds good to me.

I love the Pony Psychology series! Especially Muffins, even though it was only a spin-off it was still the best out of the whole lot of chapters.

Fallout Equestria.

Everyone is dead, ponies are struggling to survive, ponies get killed every day. That's good character X development, right? 

This guy's speaking my language. :D

Though, I think Twilicorn's kind of messed with the continuity. I wonder how the writers would go about explaining it.

• Brohoof 1

...Well thank you very much, but if video games were put into Equestria, it wouldn't seem nearly as much as a fantasy universe. (The Elements of Gaming).

Yeah, I wouldn't like it. The Elements of Gaming is my favourite fan fiction for the comedy factor of real world influence. But it should stay as a fan fiction :3

Not voting, because I'm not sure. 

The Games We Play is my favorite. There are many things that I would enjoy if it were added to the show. Characters would be fleshed out more, my sister would have a rage-induced tantrum that I could film and post here for your entertainment, we'd get loads of enjoyable Dashie moments and the writing would certainly meet standard. 

Problem is, that it is oriented around shipping. The thing was controversial enough among its own fanbase, who knew what they were getting into. Throw it into canon, and the fanbase, which is both filled with people who despise shipping, despise the ship in question or at very least support an alternative ship more and we have a very small percentage of people who would be happy about this. I think there are certainly interesting directions that the show could go after the ending of the fic, but I'm not sure it would be for the better in the end.

Let's see...some of my favorites, and how they would affect things if they were canon:

The Carnivore's Prayer by Cold in Gardez.  Equestria would more or less be the same, but it would become abundantly clear that the rest of the world has teeth and claws, and a taste for pony blood.  In a weird kind of way, it would make the world more relatable.  The sweet would seem more sweet because it's tinged at the edges with a bitter darkness.

The Shades of Time by GFreeman.  It has an ethereal, haunted feel kind of like the scene in S3E13 where Celestia took Twilight into the hall of memories. But if it were canon, it would cast Celestia's rule (and Twilight's role in it) into much darker territory.  Even in doing so, it could retain the foundational ideas that friendship and hope are the last lines of defense against the terrible unknown.

So basically Twilight is the princess of the changelings. Big Mac is insane. And Luna is having tea with Queen Chrysalis.

My favorite fanfiction is Mirrors Image.

So that one fanfic about Sweetiebelle finding out where babies come from is now canon, eh? Horse wieners are officially part of the show, neato.

Well it's cupcakes and I don't really know how I would feel if I wanted Pinkie harvesting her friends organs to make cupcakes... sad.png

I'm sorry, but I think most people here know my feelings on this fanfic... I... I... no, I refuse to ever let Cupcakes be canon. No... I HAVE SPOKEN! And I will speak once more through this video right here.

In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

Edited by Admiral Colt

Cheerilee's Garden/Scarlet Harvest.

Little fillies are brutally murdered, the mane 6 end up dying in disturbing ways, ponies commit suicide, all of Ponyville wants to see Twilight killed, and there's overall little to no hope for a happy conclusion.

Great for kids! 

Well... My favorite is The Last Tears in Tartarus :(

Ol9Cuhi.jpg

Where the beasts of the Tartarus broke free, enslaving all of the ponykind and killing the princesses. It's safe to say that the show will get a rating boost from Everyone to Mature+

• Brohoof 1

First Favorite Fan fiction: My Little Dashie is my favorite fanfic. However, this fanfic wouldn't affect the show at all. Read the story and you will know why.

My second favorite fanfic would change the show dramatically though. This fanfic is called Past Sins. First off, it would make Twilight an adoptive mother. Second it would introduce a new alicorn character. This would change the show alot.

My favorite fanfic is canon?  Oooh boy.  Poor Scootaloo better watch out for Rainbow Dash...

...because my favorite fic is "Summer Fun", a delightful comedy in which Dash plays silly pranks on the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Wait, what were you thinking?

• Brohoof 2

The Social Experiment, and by extension it's sequel, Variables.

So, Twilight conducts a sociological experiment on love after creating a theory on it to get evidence, so goes on several dates with multiple stallions to see what causes attraction. And then some stuff happens, then Caramel shows up, and you can probably guess where this is going.

Does that count as good development for chatacter Y?