Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kickoff Compilation for Pony.fm?

Freewave

One of the things we can do IF people are interested is actually put together a compilation (we could host it here or dually on bandcamp) of some of the best tracks from artists of the site. HOPEFULLY get EQD to spotlight it and thus some of the musicians already here. Selecting tracks AS a community for it may really help us find out who each other are and start getting a bit more OF an established community here (just "discovered" how great Dreamsong and Moonshines were this week).  Having a great compilation with 16 or 20 great songs can really sell what we have on the site to start with. Maybe even continue this on a monthly or every other month basis. ("Now That's What i Call Brony Music" indeed, ok dont use that). You get the idea.

EQD does queue up albums and comps and only highlight them once or twice a month and i have found in the past they can even flake on publishing those spotlights (We had a month and half delay with Second Chances getting a spotlight) but it can be worth the effort if it allows for us to be seen by a large portion of people who haven't noticed the site yet once we are up and running. Both listeners and other musicians off-site.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 5

I think this is an awesome idea! We could have a little bit of music from every genre. Of course we would host it here on pony.fm and not p camp, and the idea of making a monthly "best of" compilation would be great too. We should probably do some colabs as well and include mostly more unknown artists who make really good music.

I love this idea!

I think it's a no-brainer that an album celebrating Pony.fm should be published exclusively on Pony.fm. I see no reason to involve Bandcamp in this at all, as Pony.fm is more than capable of handling free album downloads - it'll do so even better than Bandcamp, for that matter.

There are a couple of things to take away from here:

• Pony.fm will need a means to support albums with various artists' tracks in them. Alternatively, a playlist might work...?
  • Someone will need to round up every artist that is interested in this, ensure they all produce their contribution in a reasonable time manner, and keep the whole thing together until the album is published. Any volunteers?

How quickly the compilation could be produced is another concern. With one song per artist, I imagine it could happen relatively quickly, but I am beginning to aim for a Pony.fm public launch within the next 2-3 weeks, before my spring break ends.

(edited)

Well we can definitely fast track this for a 2-3 week release since the music is already hosted here and is a virtual release. Biggest thing thing will be deciding what goes on it and if we're going to have to wittle down a list to fit a cd length or struggle to fill it (and we could find that out in a week or so when we see who has submitted tracks). If someone can get the word out we can fill a thread (this thread maybe) and let people submit the track they'd like to enter and then see how many that gives us.  If we can collect them in a playlist initally that's great!

I can keep track in the first post of what we have (and link to the track). If it comes to a point where we need to decide who makes the cut than we can list the tracks via a large multiple choice poll and let the same people submitting be the judges (much like how Toast Beard works). Insert cover image to the comp and voila. HOPEFULLY EQD would accept a submission from pony.fm initially as that is the point (at least while we get started up -I doubt they would highlight a comp every month). It would be cool if we did this on a monthly basis though as it allows for fellow musicians to check out each other's music and vote their favorites. I know we have Dusk picking some of his favorites now from submissions but putting spotlights only in the hands of a select few isn't that much different of a setup than EQD or balloon party (both which receive ample criticism when people are denied). If we have different ways of highlight pony.fm music (such as popular vote from those who make the music-like the Oscars) then i think it benefits everybody and also creates a stronger community here.  

Edited by Freewave

It sounds fun, but it really depends on how my spring break goes. This is finals week, so nothing will be started until late Saturday night or Sunday at least.

Well, the site is still only in alpha, y'know. So you still have plenty of time. :)

I was told by Feld that we should expect a go live of 2 weeks i think....

We need to have a better release than EQDMusic did. Word on the street is not good for that.

Of course we'll have a better release than EQDMusic. We are mlp forums, and pony.fm after all ! :P

It's our theme song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgkWmKJLuE

Ok do we wanna makes this work? Can we get at least 15 good tracks in 2 week?

Ok sent out a bunch of pm's out to the musicians who identified themselves on pony.fm intoduction thread. Sorry to spam but wnated to get the word out and get this ball rolling. I'd rather have too many applicants for the initial compilation then not enough. This will be a great way to check out each other's work, be aware of each other, and start feeling a bit more of the community vibe as fellow musicians rather than a collection of strangers. :)

Hope we see some people drop off their good recent tracks into this thread. Put your best hoof forward.

• Brohoof 2

Och, I think this is a _wunnerful_ idea! <3 <3

I don't know if a cover-of-a-cover-of-a-parody-of-a-cover is applicable, but I'd love this could be considered for inclusion:

https://pony.fm/tracks/269-mad-mares-vocal-cover-parody-of-mad-world

...And I don't know if a "folk-ish" piece has a place in trying to promote Pony.FM, but if so, I'd love to submit this for consideration:

https://pony.fm/tracks/251-on-pegasus-wings

Actually, sound awesome! :3
What about tracks that aren't on pony.fm?
Like, I went all Dubba Jhonny and made the VIP of a VIP, and it's unreleased...
Or songs that where never uploaded to pony.fm, but got uploaded on other pages like soundcloud?

So, this compilation would consist of currently-existing music, and not new music created specifically for the compilation? Because if it's the former, yeah, I can jump on.

Here are my three best. Take your pick, vote, what have you.

https://pony.fm/tracks/246-winter-wrap-up-metal-cover

https://pony.fm/tracks/73-babs-seed-metal-cover

https://pony.fm/tracks/72-clear-the-skies-theme-of-rainbow-dash

EDIT: Awww, 2-element limit for embeds. I'll link that last one.

Edited by DusK

Actually, sound awesome! :3

What about tracks that aren't on pony.fm?

Like, I went all Dubba Jhonny and made the VIP of a VIP, and it's unreleased...

Or songs that where never uploaded to pony.fm, but got uploaded on other pages like soundcloud?

The actual compilation we will try to make available ON pony.fm so if you'd like to include a track on there, upload it to pony.fm that way we can view it on here. Not much of a point including a track for pony.fm that isn't hosted on here yet. ;) Just upload it there and embed what you select here.

I have a song that's currently in the final mastering stages that I'd like to enter, so I'll post it once it's done.

I've written it such that it can pass by people without knowing where it's origin is from (so it could be featured by places like Liquicity), but it has it's roots in the pony world - and that combination is a first for me. I'm eager to see what you all think of it once it's done. ;)

This sounds awesome! I don't have anything SUPER recent, but I guess if you're looking for any slightly different genres, I got 3 songs on my pony.fm profile all ready to go :U! I think Handle With Care might be the best, but idk, whatever you'd think would fit haha.

https://pony.fm/wolfblur

t35.png

t195.png

t32.png

Totally looking forward to this though, it's a great idea

Em.... I just looked back in at this thread and found this where I'd pasted what I thought to be the URL's for the songs for consideration, ("On Pegasus Wings," and "Mad Mares")

SECURITY WARNING: Please treat the URL above as you would your password and do not share it with anyone.

Did I do something incorrectly?

actually they appear fine on the board Dreamsong, not sure where that msg is coming from.

and on Pegasus Wings is my fav of the 2  biggrin.png

That's weird!  I did a refresh on the page and the Pony.FM players were there again!  (Could be that it's a new computer with an internet security suite pre-installed?)

*blushes*  Thank you so much!!  <3 <3 <3

Ooh, this could be good. The TB-style popular vote could work, or the track list could be decided by the Featured Music panelists, if that's going ahead (I can't remember if it is or not...!).

Dangit, I have no idea how to embed from pony.fm. I humbly submit this old-fashioned URL link, and included song, for your consideration.

• 2 weeks later...