Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open A Journey Home

Kitty Cat Moonshire

This is my first RP attempt. Join in with whatever, but make it interesting!

Shiara slowly opened her eyes. She was surrounded by, nothing but darkness. A cold, chilling wind rustled her mane. She stumbled to her feet, trying to get her barrings. 

"He-hello?" 

No sound returned but the echo of her own voice.

"I need to get out of here."

But to where? The darkness was impenetrable, there was no way to know what lay ahead, much less which way to go. 

She had no horn to light the way, no wings to catch her if she fell. The danger of movement was too great a risk, and was one she was not willing to take.

She lay down on the cold rocky ground, scared, alone, and confused. Laying her head on her hooves, she gradually drifted to sleep, hoping this was all just a bad dream.

She awoke with a start. Light was flooding the cave, for indeed it was a cave. She jumped up, eagerly, looking around for the source of the light. Maybe it was the exit to this accursed cavern! 

She galloped towards the source, excitement and hope rising. 

As she rounded the corner, however, all hope vanished. The light was not coming from an exit, nor from any regular light source, but from words, glowing words, carved into the wall of the cavern.

"To find your way home

three things I seek.

A gem so rare

tarnished, but sleek.

An answer to what 

you truly desire, 

and someone always truthful

who is always a liar."

• Brohoof 1

Emerald awoke and shook her head. Her eyes took a minute to adjust to the light of the cavern.

She stood up, and looked over to see another pony lookin equally as confused. "Uhm, hello? Do you know what's going on?"

Emerald asked in a quiet voice. She approached the pony and tilted her head at a slight angle to get a better look at what she was looking at.

"To find your way home

three things I seek.

A gem so rare

tarnished, but sleek.

An answer to what 

you truly desire, 

and someone always truthful

who is always a liar."

"Well what the hay is this supposed to mean?" Emerald motioned to the writing with her hoof. She wasn't one for riddles, she never was.

"So, who are you exactly?" Emerald asked Shiara in attempt to make conversation.  She fiddled with the dirt ground making pictures to pass time. Time is so limited, you never know when it ends.  Emerald thought, reaching for a stick and drawing more pictures. Suddnly, like magic, the stick levitated out of her hoof and she fell forward onto the ground with a skid, making dirt fly into her mouth.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Shiara was in a daze. The words were hypnotizing, swirling and streaking around her mind, creating an endless whirlpool of confusion.

"A gem so rare..." she thought, "Could it be a diamond? No, that's not right, diamonds can't tarnish. No gem can tarnish!"

She was lost in her thoughts. Even if she wished it to stop, it would not. The markings on the wall drew her mind away from her, pulling at every corner of her subconscious, begging and pleading to be solved.

The riddle was repeated, over and over. A raspy, dark voice chanted the poem, almost in a taunting manner.

"Home...seek...gem...sleek...answer...desire...truth...a liar..."

The words appeared to float around, their red glow intensifying. The chanting became louder. Shiara's vision began to swim. The wall went in and out of focus. She was slipping away.

But there was something else. Something that didn't belong. Another voice, a different voice, one less malicious.

Shiara suddenly snapped to. The chanting suddenly stopped, and all that was left was the voice of... another pony!

With a sudden realization, Shiara jumped into action.

"Don't look at the wall!" She screamed, tackling the other pony, who had seemingly come from nowhere.

"I apologize, but it...  it traps your mind." 

She lay there, trying to regain her thoughts.

"What was it that you were saying to me?"

Edited by Luna Moonshire

"Uggghh." Emerald moaned. She got up and then helped herself up. "I don't think that's important right now....something freaky just did something to me!" As she spoke, dirt fell from her mouth, she spit it all out so she could speak clearer.  "Sorry about that, well-I was drawing on the cave grounds when the stick just starts floating, and I fell down, I swallowed a lot of dirt." Emerald rubbed her head, "I really think something is out there. I'll go investigate." She went  to go investigate the source, but like magic; something threw her back against the cavern walls. "Ok....that was easy, the cave did it. We are in a magic cave." Emerald puffed the words, and sided down the sides of the wall. "Ow..." Emerald winced. "Stupid magic cave. Why couldn't we at least land into a magic cave that wasn't in a bad mood?" The cave slammed her head against it's walls. Painfully. "Ow! ow, Ok I get it. But is it creepy to you that the cave ccan here EVERYTHING we say? Do you think it can talk? Or make us dinner?" (wait are we not allowed to leave the cave? Total Croods moment.)

(Croods?)

Shiara sat motionless, as the other was flung about by some undetectable force, seemingly responding to everything they did. If it weren't for the current situation, a conscious cavern would have been quite the find! However, at this point in time, the prospect was horrifying.

"It can hear us," she thought. "It knows what we're saying."

"Can it be reasoned with, I wonder?"

Shiara jumped to her feet, and braced herself to be hurtled against a wall. Fortunately the cave remained calm.

"Who are you?" she shouted. The cave went silent. For a few brief moments, nothing but the echo of her own voice could be heard.

Then a voice came out of the gloom. It was deep, scratchy, and...old. Yes, old. As old as the stone, as ancient as time itself, if not older. It rumbled through the cavern, shaking the ground. Pebbles jumped and skittered across the cave floor as the voice filled the silence.

"I am he who's in your dreams,

I am he who brings the screams,

of the children, full of fright,

I am the living night."

"I am terror, I am fright,

I am death, but I am light,

I am old, yet I am new,

I am lies, yet I am true."

"I am what you chose to fear,

I bring trembling, I bring tears,

None who choose to fight,

Have ever lived to see light."

"Though heartless I am not, 

I care little for your thoughts,

It is better thought to flee,

Then attempt audience with me."

Shiara sat down, stumped.

"More riddles?" she thought?

"That doesn't explain who you are!" She shouted into the blackness.

There was no response. 

She tried once more, this time with a different question.

"What is it you want from us?"

There was nothing but silence. Seconds lapsed. The seconds turned to minutes, but still, there was no response from the entity.

Finally an answer came. Low and rumbling, and louder than the last, one word echoed through the cave.

"Entertainment."

"Entertainment? Your bucking throwing me against the wall for entertainment?!" Emerald sighed, but the sigh sounded rude. "Ok. Fine. How about we talk-and get to know each other?' She sat down on the floor, and made an attempt to smile at the cave. "I'll start. I'm Emerald, I live with my Aunt Redheart. We are pretty low on money since nurses don't get that much money. So I am kind of stuck being picked on all the the time. It really sucks." She layed on the ground, and looked over at Shiara. "What about you? What's your life story, y'know, in summarization."

"Yes, Emerald has shared her story. What about yours? I am curious to know more. Nopony has talked to me for this long. It's nice to know that you two care so much as to make friends with a old bunch of rocks like me."  Rocks shook when he spoke, and suddenly Emerald spoke up again.

"Uhm, excuse me mr...." she trailed off, so the cave corrected her. ''You may call me Rocky. I am a miss, not a mr." Emerald nodded, and continued with her sentence. "Well Rocky, you really seem nice but if I don't get home my Aunt will assume I got hurt again."

(The entity has a gender? :P)

"Well, I..." 

Shiara's voice trailed off as a sudden realization hit her.

"I... I don't know...I don't know who I am!"

There are many feelings of loneliness that one can experience. For example, being alone with no company can induce a certain feeling of loneliness. Being stuck in a room where no one understands your language creates a similar feeling, although not quite the same. However, of all the ways a pony can feel alone, there is none like being separated from yourself. When your identity, and all your memories have been stripped away, a feeling of self-loneliness ensues. It is a depressing feeling, unlike any other.

She sat down with a thump. 

"Who am I?" She pondered."I have no memories! Do I even exist? No, that's ridiculous. How could I desire memories if I never had them?"

Shiara was once again lost in thought. A debate raged through her mind, arguing over her existence, and attempting to figure out who she was. Nothing came of this, however.

She snapped out of her deaf stupor. The cave was talking. Not menacingly, as before, but conversationally, to the other mare.

"I wonder if it is as lonely as I" she thought to herself.

The other mare spoke again. 

"Well Rocky, you really seem nice, but if I don't get home my Aunt will assume I got hurt again."

A chuckle shook the earth.

"Oh, I do love a good story, and I am terribly sorry about your aunt, but she will have to wait! The fun has only just begun!"

Once again, the entity had adopted a sinister tone, almost as if being friendly was simply an act, designed to play with the minds of those trapped in the cave.

"Do you remember what it is that you were supposed to look for? I thought not," the entity continued. "Let me give you a hand with that."

A flash of light filled the cave, followed by pain. Searing, burning pain that charred the bottom of their feet. Shiara fell to the cave floor, writhing in agony.

"There. You are all very welcome. The riddle is now burnt into your hooves. Now you shall never again forget!"

With that, the cave fell silent.

For a few moments. 

The cave began to shake, and a crack appeared in the wall. As it spread, a deafening splitting noise filled the cave, until a portion of the wall exploded outwards. The cave was instantaneously filled with light, blinding the two mares. An Icy cold wind roared through the cave, tussling the manes of the two, and blowing sheets of snow into their eyes. 

As her vision slowly adjusted, Shiara dared to venture forth, out of the cave. 

An appalling sight greeted her. Inches in front of her hooves, a stony ledge dropped off into oblivion. Nothing but icy covered mountain terrain could be seen. Freezing wind tore ice and snow through the air, creating a blizzard unlike any other. Shiara had seen snow, but this, this was insanity. 

Ducking back into the cover of the cave, she looked at her newfound friend with a hopeless expression, as if begging for help.

• 2 weeks later...

(For this im going to be using my brand new OC who is named Sheer Cold. She is a light blue coat with a Darker blue Mane. Shes pretty much a ninja that trains in extreme places and weather so she can adapt to any situation! Shes also a unicorn)

Sheer Cold had been training in the snow. Training in the Ice. It had been 2 months since she had talked to anypony but herself and the only thing she had been wearing was the robes. The freaking Ninja robes. She only had one more month of training and she was out. it had been two hours since she set out from her camp to get to the mountain that she now knew very well. She was heading there to gather supplies. Some firewood for the night is the only thing she needed. As she was climing the mountain She heard this Deafining noise behind her. She looked back to see the mountain that she travelled to everyday to see something else. A cave. What had opened this cave? She headed to it to investigate.

"Hey over here!" yelled Shiara. Sheer turned her head to the cave. A cave at the side of a mountain. With a ravine dropping right in front of it. "What are you doing here?" Asked Sheer. "Well...we don't really know. We sorta need help though" Sheer pulled out a rope and threw it to the other side of the ravine. Catch this! She held on to one side of the rope while emerald caught the other side. "Now Jump!" She yelled. This is the part where most ponies chickened out. She cracked a grin. 

• 1 month later...

Icecore watched longingly at these three ponies. He had been under Sheer's feet this whole time, trapped in a tomb of ice. Sheer was one of many ponies to pass by him unawares. So many times, ponies had never seen him. So many times, he had tried to find a way out. He wanted others to know that they were not alone. He was once just an ordinary earth pony... but soon, he had been transported here by rocky. The ice changed him physically and mentally. He had developed magic and flight, yet lacking a horn or wings. His cutie mark was replaced with an ice crystal mark. Soon, he gave up all hope of finding his way out and became trapped within the ice. After this, all he could do was hope that someone would rescue him.

He pictured himself getting free and helping these ponies to safety. He pictured being free again. He pictured getting home to his family, and friends, and finally becoming free of this infernal ice that he was entombed in.

Just then, the ice started to break. Ice could feel the life return to his limbs. He was breaking out...

(For this im going to be using my brand new OC who is named Sheer Cold. She is a light blue coat with a Darker blue Mane. Shes pretty much a ninja that trains in extreme places and weather so she can adapt to any situation! Shes also a unicorn)

Sheer Cold had been training in the snow. Training in the Ice. It had been 2 months since she had talked to anypony but herself and the only thing she had been wearing was the robes. The freaking Ninja robes. She only had one more month of training and she was out. it had been two hours since she set out from her camp to get to the mountain that she now knew very well. She was heading there to gather supplies. Some firewood for the night is the only thing she needed. As she was climing the mountain She heard this Deafining noise behind her. She looked back to see the mountain that she travelled to everyday to see something else. A cave. What had opened this cave? She headed to it to investigate.

"Hey over here!" yelled Shiara. Sheer turned her head to the cave. A cave at the side of a mountain. With a ravine dropping right in front of it. "What are you doing here?" Asked Sheer. "Well...we don't really know. We sorta need help though" Sheer pulled out a rope and threw it to the other side of the ravine. Catch this! She held on to one side of the rope while emerald caught the other side. "Now Jump!" She yelled. This is the part where most ponies chickened out. She cracked a grin. 

Emerald did not chicken out. Emerald was never the to chicken out, ever since her family died she wanted to protecect anypony she loved or cared about. Emerald bit onto the rope, and held onto it with a hoof. It tasted dry and slobbery. Emerald finally landed beside Sheer, noticing her grin had faded. Emerald bit onto the rope hard, and released it. It swung finally landing in front of Shiara.

Icecore watched longingly at these three ponies. He had been under Sheer's feet this whole time, trapped in a tomb of ice. Sheer was one of many ponies to pass by him unawares. So many times, ponies had never seen him. So many times, he had tried to find a way out. He wanted others to know that they were not alone. He was once just an ordinary earth pony... but soon, he had been transported here by rocky. The ice changed him physically and mentally. He had developed magic and flight, yet lacking a horn or wings. His cutie mark was replaced with an ice crystal mark. Soon, he gave up all hope of finding his way out and became trapped within the ice. After this, all he could do was hope that someone would rescue him.

He pictured himself getting free and helping these ponies to safety. He pictured being free again. He pictured getting home to his family, and friends, and finally becoming free of this infernal ice that he was entombed in.

Just then, the ice started to break. Ice could feel the life return to his limbs. He was breaking out...

Emerald noticed the ice toumb cracking. Emerald kneeled down, and placed a hoof on the ice. The ice broke and a pony body fell out. The pony was clearly passed out, but still alive. Emerald picked up the pony and placed him on her back, hoping that a hospital was nearby. "We need to hurry, I just found a passed out pony!" Emerald glanced twoareds her back were the pony lay, he was still not awake yet. Emerald told herself not to panic, and trotted slowly in a circle. The waight of the pony was fairly light, and his mane tickled her back when Emerald trotted. Emerald couldn't help but wonder...why this pony was trapped in ice in the first place?

The first thing Icecore saw was light. A blinding light that surrounded him. He was warm. he heard the breathing of other ponies around him, and then he suddenly realised something. He was no longer trapped. Surrounding him was Sheer Cold and 2 other ponies. Icecore got up and stretched his icy wings for the first time in a long while. He lifted his head, and opened his mouth to speak...

He couldn't.

He tried again, but no sound came out of his mouth.

He tried again and again, but failed every time, growing more and more frustrated. He stomped in anger, shaking the ground. He couldn't speak. No matter how hard he tried. After all this time alone, all he wanted to to was talk to someone. But he couldn't. He lowered his head once more, and walked off. What was the point of being free if he couldn't speak? He had waited years for this. All he wanted was to tell people why he was there.

Then he thought. Maybe after all this time, he'd simply forgotten how. If so, he needed to learn how to speak again. And he knew just where to start.

(edited)

The first thing Icecore saw was light. A blinding light that surrounded him. He was warm. he heard the breathing of other ponies around him, and then he suddenly realised something. He was no longer trapped. Surrounding him was Sheer Cold and 2 other ponies. Icecore got up and stretched his icy wings for the first time in a long while. He lifted his head, and opened his mouth to speak...

He couldn't.

He tried again, but no sound came out of his mouth.

He tried again and again, but failed every time, growing more and more frustrated. He stomped in anger, shaking the ground. He couldn't speak. No matter how hard he tried. After all this time alone, all he wanted to to was talk to someone. But he couldn't. He lowered his head once more, and walked off. What was the point of being free if he couldn't speak? He had waited years for this. All he wanted was to tell people why he was there.

Then he thought. Maybe after all this time, he'd simply forgotten how. If so, he needed to learn how to speak again. And he knew just where to start.

(maybe you should read my post again. You are laying on Emerald's back. tongue.png)

Emerald noticed the pony laying on here back had awakened, and she turned her head to introduce herself. "Hi! I'm Emerald. I saw you pass out after you break out of that ice. You were passed out so I picked you up, are you OK to walk now?'' Emerald smiled at Ice, and waited for him to respond. "You forgot how to talk when trapped in that ice? Don't worry I'll help you out." Emerald laughed, and smiled at Ice. "Here, try saying simple words. Like 'I' or 'The' just to get you started." Emerald waited patiently for Ice to talk, she smiled brightly at him. Emerald blinked her grey eyes at him when she realized she had been staring. "Sorry." Emerald mumbled, hiding her muzzle behing her short pixie-cut styled mane. "I bet your tired of hearing me ramble on. You know what? Why don't you live with me and my Aunt. We could teach you how to talk again, I mean if you let us. I'm sure she would be happy to help, her being a Nurse and all. We're pretty low on money though, so we get by with what we have."

( @, this is my new rp if you are interested in joining http://mlpforums.com/topic/61013-the-quest-for-zephier-ooc-omanceadventure-spots-open/ )

Edited by Emerald <3

Shiara stood there, shivering. She glanced from face to face, unsure of what to make of recent events. She had never heard of snow and ice in this magnitude, let alone ponies living in it. She glanced at Sheer, a quizzical expression on her face. A flood of questions consumed her mind, but she could not bring her tongue to utter any of them. Thoughts of the entity filled her mind, leaving a dark haunting sensation lingering in every crevice of her brain. What was it? What did it want? Was it still haunting them, or was it just playing a joke?

Then there were more issues to confront. Who was this cloaked stranger? How could a pony survive for so long after being frozen in ice? The more she thought about it, the more it seemed like a dream. Perhaps if she killed herself, she would awaken? The idea seemed tempting, for if this was indeed a dream, it was certainly one nasty nightmare. She tucked the thought away, for if this was reality, that may just be a mistake.

Finding her voice, she stared at Sheer, and, in a voice trembling from both cold and fear, she asked: "W-what do y-you... what w-was tha c-cave? What w-was in it-t?"   

• 2 weeks later...

Acid searched his mind for words

"Get...."

The thought faded away

"Get.... Up!"

He woke with a flash.

He didn't know where he was, or how he got there, but he heard other ponies talking.

He stood up and looked around, he saw a few other ponies in the distance.

Acid decided to start to walk slowly towards them.

When he was near, he was suddenly pushed back by an unknown force and fell.

As he got up, he noticed hes had a necklace with a small red gem around his hoof.

"Uh... Hi? Um.... Where am I?"

He looked at the necklace around his hoof

"And... What is this?"

The red gem started to turn a different color.

Blue, he thought.

The gem started to glow

"What's happening?"

He noticed that the other ponies' mouths were moving, but not making any noise.

He then realized, he wasn't making any noise either.

He tried to talk, he could hear himself, but no one could hear him

What's happening?, he thought.

The gem started darkening

Green? He thought.

He tried again

"Where am I?"

When he tried to speak, the gem turned purple

When he asked again

"Where am I"

He noticed he could hear himself better.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunyatay Sutra awoke in darkness.  Musty, humid air.  *Plonk..k..k..*  A drip fell somewhere with a hollow echo.  She looked around as she scrambled to her hooves.  She could see nothing...anywhere.  None of Luna's silvery rays bathing trees and shrubs in ethereal light.  No fireflies, or sparks of eyeshine from creatures wreathed in shadow.  Not the Everfree Forest then.  Where am I?  "He-hello?" "He-hello"  "He-hello..."  "He-hello..." a voice resounded from somewhere further in, or out, of the cave.  Sunyatay lit her horn and headed toward it at a trot.  Her footfalls, only barely tangible, made almost no sound.  Rounding a gigantic joined stalagmite-stalagtite pillar, she saw vague silhouettes of two ponies, which shifted and flickered in the eldrich light of...words...emblazoned on the wall.  A hoary voice, like stale air from a freshly-opened tomb spoke to them.  The sound of it made Sunyatay shudder.

One of the ponies started drawing pictures with a stick.  Maybe I can help them, Sunyatay thought.  She started looking for something else she could lift and move to announce her presence, when the stick was suddenly yanked away, making the pony fall face-down in the dirt.  Sunyatay cringed.  If I try to use my magic now, they'll think I'm the cave creature!  It might even take whatever I use and hurt one of them with it, so they'd blame me!  She shuddered, wondering if this was where she'd disappear forever.  Maybe I already have...and this is where ponies go when they aren't real anymore.

The cave-creature was speaking in verse again, and Sunyatay thought she heard him give away one of the answers to his first riddle. 

A flash of light filled the cave, followed by pain. Searing, burning pain that charred the bottom of everypony's feet. Sunyatay screamed, her voice coming out as a soft, ghostly wail that was drowned out by the cries of the others.  She jumped, trying to escape the burning, but it was in her hooves themselves, rather than the floor.  Landing hard, she collapsed in pain.  For a moment, Sunyatay could actually see herself, but when the pain faded, she did as well.  Suddenly, there was an earthquake.  The cave wall cracked and split, letting in dazzling light and a cold, howling wind.  It wouldn't let us out that easy.  Are we being rescued?  With bright sunlight and snow-glare lighting up the cave interior, Sunyatay shut off her horn-light. 

She gingerly clambered to her hooves and picked her way over to the other ponies.  By the time she reached where they were, they had escaped across a ravine by grabbing a rope thrown by another pony.  The rope would not come for her, of course.  Even if she could make herself visible as a translucent apparition, how would the rescuer see her through the blizzard, when they couldn't even know to look?  And if anypony did see her, they'd do what everypony always did: think she was a ghost, and run away screaming.  Or in this case, think she was the cave creature, and hate her.  There was a whole crowd of ponies over there now, which was almost as terrifying as the cave creature itself.  Sunyatay felt herself becoming just a little more insubstantial.

"Ahhh...somepony doesn't play well with othersssss..." the voice hissed in her ear.  "That does not mean that others cannot play with you," it said with a malevolent chuckle.  Suddenly, Sunyatay was flying across the ravine, propelled by invisible force.  She landed in a puff of snow, its swirls briefly revealing the outline of a female unicorn with a long, straight mane and tail.  She looked around herself in panic, cringing in anticipation of the others' reactions.