Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Future of My Little Pony and the Brony Phenomenon

planet news

End of the show and G4  

169 users have voted

1. 1. How many seasons do you think the show will last?

• Three. Next season will be the last, Im afraid.
    • Four. Not a whole lot longer...
    • Five. Might go strong for a while.
    • Six. Its still got some good time ahead.
    • Seven. The show isn't ending anytime soon!
    • Eight or higher. Its gonna be here for a long time!
  2. 2. Will you still be a brony even after the show dies?

• Still gonna be a very strong brony!
    • I might go down a bit, but still be a brony.
    • Im not sure yet.
    • I think Ill stop being a brony.
    • I'll forget I was ever a brony!
  3. 3. What do you think G5 will be like?

• Its gonna be awesome, just like FIM!
    • I think it will be nice, but not as good as FIM.
    • I dont really know yet.
    • It will not really be that good.
    • It will be terrible, just like G3!
    • There really might not be a G5.

I wouldn't really call it a fad, I would have to call it a community that has grown so much that even the fans are starting to make art and other entertainment that we are all so fond of.

If this were a fad, then it would have spread like wildfire for a few weeks, and then phase out within a few more.  It's not a fad.  It can't be.   It's still alive and well.  There are millions of bronies worldwide, and our fandom is comparable to that of Star Trek.  Misunderstood, but never forgotten.  

I feel as if we've placed a mark on modern culture.  

Somehow, Brown Coats are still around, even though Firefly ended so long ago.

This here is exactly what I was thinking.

When the show ends the fandom will die down but not out. As has already been stated the fandom has cranked out an insane amount of content and to be honest after reading Fallout Equestria, I doubt its ever going to truly die off. There are too many creative minds involved.

Then throw in the great works of charity that have been made due to the community. We've made an indelible mark on society, only a small one so far, but the message will spread,

No, we're not going anywhere any time soon.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1

We'll keep living on just like every other fandom, after all there are trekkies, star wars fans, potter fans, various other sci fi fans, lord of the rings fans, dnd fans, anime fans....the list goes on and on. They've all survived the ending of various shows and exist now that those shows are past their glory days when they were at their highest popularity. Besides, whenever FIM does inevitably end who's to say that when Hasbro releases Gen 5 (which we know they will) that it won't be just as good sparking a new wave of Bronyism with a new generation? Seems pretty far off but completely possible.

Im old enough to say this and I seen and been part of a lot of fads,

Every thing that is something huge is always a fad. Fads are something that can last 2 weeks to a few years.

A fad is usually something everyone what's to have or wants to be part of cus its the in thing) A fad can move into Life Time fan based were its no longer just a Fad. Only the test of time can determine this. 

Barbie (still around but its a blimp now)

Trolls (remember these troll's that people collected with funny hair)

Carebears (are they even around any more?)

Lego (See barbie)

Cabbage patch dolls (history)

Toy cars (see barbie)
Pokemon. Huge Fad. now  its all history expect the games. No on talks about the shows, or even plays the trading card game any more. the only thing that's still there is the DS titles

Harry Potter. Don't hear much of this anymore since the last movie was released

Tomagotches (thoses device that gave u the idea u were looking after a animal)

Tickle me Elmo (ya that lasted didn't it)

Marballs, Pogs, and YoYo's

Waterbeds (I still wish I had one)
Lord of the Rings, (Was dead there for a bit till the hobbit came out)

South Park. (after the first few seasons this is all but lost. the show is still on the air but you don't hear much about it any more)

The hamster Dance song. (it played on the radio ever 20 mins for like 3 months straight)

MLP is a fad the question is how long till it last and when it dose die down what parts of it if any will remain. I assuming with new Next Gem of MLP comes out it respark it, if done right. (Cough Gen 3/3.5)

What really sets MLP apart from the others is, its not quite something ever one wants to be part of and its not really the in thing ether. Only when G1 came out, the plastic ponies were the must have thing for all girls. G4 it's mostly guys that want the merchandise this time around.

There is a good chance MLP could turn into a life time Fan based though. Well just have to see what happens in the next 2-4 years to determine this. the first 3 attempts haven't all be that successful in sustaining fans.

The only Fad/fanbase that's still kicking strong is StarTek., Even StarWars is kind of dead but I expect that to fire back up again when Disney releases ep 7. I suppose the Simpsons is still strongly backed by there fanbase to.

On another note Fads/fanbase tends to last longer these days with the help of media (youtube) facebook pages, Forums, download content, music, and photos.

btw I was part of the Pokemon fad, up until the original was finished.

I actually cried like a little girl when the last Harry Potter ended. I knew right then & there was nothing left to look forward to when it came to Harry Potter.

I was also part of the Pog Fad. Couldn't get enough of those.  lol

now they all feel like lost and distance memory's

Edited by MadDoggyca

And no, I would never call this a fad anyway, only for the people in the fandom who treat it as such.....like the bronies who are bronies only for attention.

I've heard people say there are people who are only bronies for attention. Seriously? I've never seen any in my time. Where I come from, bronies are mainly looked down upon, so I can't imagine anyone wanting to be a brony just for attention.

As for whether the fandom is just a fad, definitely not. We've left our mark on history by defying the gender stereotype society created. Sure we've received some hate, and still do (or at least I do), but there is no doubt that bronies will last for a long time.

Edited by whoovesfan7698

Bronies are far from a fad.  We are a fandom.  If it was a fad it would be long gone, we will definitely last a long time, even when the show ends we will go on.

People say a lot of crap, I wouldn't believe any of it. The brony movement itself isn't a fad, but what WILL come of it is. Everything comes to a end, just learn to make most of it.

I've heard people say there are people who are only bronies for attention. Seriously? I've never seen any in my time. Where I come from, bronies are mainly looked down upon, so I can't imagine anyone wanting to be a brony just for attention.

As for whether the fandom is just a fad, definitely not. We've left our mark on history by defying the gender stereotype society created. Sure we've received some hate, and still do (or at least I do), but there is no doubt that bronies will last for a long time.

Well that's because all of the people who do it for attention do it online, and are at least smart enough not to be like "Yeah man, I'm a brony, I'm different, I'm cool." in reality.

^ Slight exaggeration, but I think I make my point now.

The Brony Phenomenon?  A fad?  Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb and say... no.  I believe that Bronies are here to stay.  Name one fad that got conventions, brought people together, inspired so much charity, created entire communities on forums and in online games, created countless volumes of music, art, and videos.  Name one fad that led some people to happier lives and, in some cases, sparked their desire to write, sing, draw, etc.  Honestly I'd say it's far too soon to predict anything about the future.  To my knowledge, nothing like the Brony Phenomenon has ever happened before.  So who knows where things will go?   

The Brony Phenomenon?  A fad?  Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb and say... no.  I believe that Bronies are here to stay.  Name one fad that got conventions, brought people together, inspired so much charity, created entire communities on forums and in online games, created countless volumes of music, art, and videos.  Name one fad that led some people to happier lives and, in some cases, sparked their desire to write, sing, draw, etc.  Honestly I'd say it's far too soon to predict anything about the future.  To my knowledge, nothing like the Brony Phenomenon has ever happened before.  So who knows where things will go?   

Pokemon, Remember back in the days with Pokémon yellow came out, You actually had to go to the Nintendo convention just to get the surfing Pikachu ? That was before the gameshark could do it for you, Music, art, and video took off as well.. but its mostly long gone and dead..

but that's was back in 98/99 and the net wasn't all that rich or popular. Come to think about it, if this was late 90s mlp would be in the same boat. anything before 2006 (when youtube first appeared) was a hit and miss. only thing back then was myspace ...guess were that went to.

Edited by MadDoggyca

I know this may sound a bit silly in retrospect when I see this tomorrow, but I had a sudden strange revelation/feeling in my gut about the whole brony phenomenon. What will become of bronies in years to come? How long will MLP last? Will there eventually be no bronies or all bronies? I just had a flow of questions gush through my mind dam. What are your opinions on these leaking questions?

Don't hold back! wink.png

Well....

It will be the end of an Era, it will be sad, and I know when (IF) the Series finale ends, EVERYPONY will watch it at it's airing, to make the series finish with a bang. Maybe the fandom will live on for generations, and we will tell our grandkids about it, maybe it will start to die out quick, I hope it last for afew more years. to be honest this show (and my friends) saved me from commiting Suicide. :') And It is just simply amazing how it has brought alot of people our age and older together. I for one will always be a brony. *brohoof* /)(

Hope I didn't hold back. ;)

Best Regards,

Trev A.K.A Swixie

Well, since thanks to the past generations our community has continued to grow. So, I'd have to say after G4 is done we might see a possibility of a G5 if Hasbro wants more fans.

• Brohoof 1

From what I've seen and read, the show really has had a powerful impact on society. Sure there's still some hate being spread, but then again there will always be haters, trolls, etc. for any fandom. As for what will become of us, while the fandom won't be spread as much, there'll always be people introduced to the show. I mean, look at the Harry Potter fandom. There's still plenty of people loving it even though the series is over.

I know what will happen. Bronies will all gather in the holy temple of the six, and we will ascend to become immortal and rule over the lands.

We'll move on with our lives. It will be a sad time, but perhaps if gen V is good we'll still be together.

You know what? It's hard to say, simply because theres nothing to really compare it to. In a sense, the brony phenomenon was never supposed to happen. It was supposed to be a show for girls, a 30 minute toy commercial, on a relatively obscure network that didn't even exist until a few years ago. And yet, it struck a nerve with people who you'd least expect to watch this kind of thing, and just *exploded*. I don't think that there's any way to tell where this is all going to go.

Frankly, as far as fandoms go, this is a major game changer. Most of the time they either build slowly over the years (Star Trek was one of the lowest rated shows on TV when it was on, and it was the fandom that gained momentum over the years that allowed the first movie to happen a decade later) and are generally along the lines of sci-fi/fantasy/sueprheroes, etc. things with an obvious male interest. This hit like a flash, and is about rainbow colored magical *ponies*. It came in quickly like a fad, but has been met with a passion and love that is obviously much more than that.

So who knows how things are going to develop over the years? I can't tell.

What I'm really excited about, though, is the impact it's going to have on the next generation of creators. When Brony animators become *professional* animators, inspired by the potential of MLP to create their own shows, or when Brony musicians try to make a big splash in the music industry. *That's* going to be pretty cool.

Edited by hawkflame

• 4 weeks later...

Anime stuff can get thousands of episodes, most of them are fillers but I think fillers would work amazingly with MLP since we pretty much don't have all answers and lots of plot holes can be mended that way.

MLP with the amount of episodes of bleach or Naruto or even Dragon ball, can you imagine that= XD

anyway as long as I live I need the show, it will continue for about mhmmmmm let's say 50-70ish years

Edited by moduz94

I think its really up to its popularity tapering off or not. As some people
have said money talks and as long as the show is making globs of money Hasbro
will continue to fund it.

• Brohoof 1