Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could you hate someone you've never met?

omran97

i wanna ask you guys why would you hate somebody you never met or even seen IRL life is there something that make hate a feeling to the next level?

Edited by Artemis

I don't believe you can truly Hate someone unless you've met/talked to them. You can hate what they have to say, but until you've had a conversation with them, it's only false hate in my opinion.

Edited by Link
  • Brohoof 4

I know I would hate Hitler or Osama Bin Laden or Geoffrey Dahmer... there are a few nasty people I've run into online who deserve to be smacked in the nose, as well, so yes, I could hate someone I've never met.

Depending on what you mean by "hate", I could very well see that as a possibility. If "hate" is a strong dislike, then sure. But if you mean "hate" as in having an aversion to that person take up your thoughts and sincerely wanting harm to befall that person, I'm not so convinced. If something like that were to happen, you might need some help.

Possibly, but as being said not everyone appears to be who they actually are.

Though some people have that certain quality that makes it easy to hate them. As in the term love to hate.

That being stated, I believe so.

Well there's prejudism unfortunately. You could just be standing around and somebody decides to hate you. But until you have a real conversation with them then it's only fair to come to a conclusion about that person. 

Justin Bieber.

This topic is officially over.

In all seriousness, my hatred of that scrawny, hairless, womanly man-child is born from the Internet's hatred of him. Only recently do I have a valid reason to hate him - He came to the UK and slated us all. Whilst normally I'd be happy that he wouldn't come back, he also screwed my cousin over by arriving two hours late to a concert he was performing at that she went to. She had been saving up for those tickets for months.

• Brohoof 5

i wanna ask you guys why would you hate somebody you never met or even seen IRL life is there something that make hate a feeling to the next level?

I think it depends. I've never met Hitler, but based on the thoroughly documented things he did to Jews and other people I can say I'm fine hating him.

be happy that he wouldn't come back, he also screwed my cousin over by arriving two hours late to a concert he was performing at that she went to. She had been saving up for those tickets for months.

You can't blame him for that. Usually he will be getting transportation from someone else. The reasons you listed listed...

Slated the UK? he covered the UK? thats why you hate him.

Arrived late to a concert I can say with certainty these are a few of the dumbest reasons to hate someone...

Yes I know firsthand that yes you can in fact hate someone you have never met before because there is someone that I hate more than I have ever hated anyone in my entire life and I have never met them before. Last June I was suspended and almost fired for this technicality, it was the most humiliating experience of my entire life but one good thing that came out of it was it made me re examine the direction my life has taken. I hate the CEO and all of the other lying scumbags at corporate headquarters of the company I work at, with the except of maybe two managers I work with I don't have a problem with the management of my store but these cowardly pieces of shit make me want to puke.

I almost sued them over a matter related to the incident in question so now they have come up with some hair brained scheme to get rid of me by putting me in a place they know that I will get in trouble and that is the checkstands as a backup checker which made me detest them even more than I already did. I cannot wait until my exit strategy is complete so I rub it in their fat pathetic faces that I won and they lost.

Oh yes you can. 

Just as you don't have to have met a person in real life to like or love them - you can also hate somebody you've never met in real life. I'm limiting this just to internet interactions though. I know I've hated many former friends who I really got to know on a personal level who have wronged me with a huge fiery passion. Just because you know somebody not in real life, doesn't invalidate any feelings you may feel about them. May they be negative or positive. 

Well of course you can hate someone you've never met. It doesn't matter whether or not your reason for it is justified or factual. It's just an emotion you feel towards something or someone.

But of course you can make the decision to keep and open mind and try not hate anyone you haven't met, but it all depends.

Yes I know firsthand that yes you can in fact hate someone you have never met before because there is someone that I hate more than I have ever hated anyone in my entire life and I have never met them before. Last June I was suspended and almost fired for this technicality, it was the most humiliating experience of my entire life but one good thing that came out of it was it made me re examine the direction my life has taken. I hate the CEO and all of the other lying scumbags at corporate headquarters of the company I work at, with the except of maybe two managers I work with I don't have a problem with the management of my store but these cowardly pieces of shit make me want to puke.

I almost sued them over a matter related to the incident in question so now they have come up with some hair brained scheme to get rid of me by putting me in a place they know that I will get in trouble and that is the checkstands as a backup checker which made me detest them even more than I already did. I cannot wait until my exit strategy is complete so I rub it in their fat pathetic faces that I won and they lost.

Wow I've gotta say this is the first time I've seen you lose your cool here. Where is it you work? maybe someone or some of can write a strongly worded letter.

I have made it so that i automatically hate everyone(except fellow Bronies). without even talking to them or getting to know them.  So i have to say that you can hate someone you never met.It's very easy actually.

It depends on your feelings toward the person. It doesn't really matter if you never met, but unless you've actually talked then the hate will only be necessary unless you actually talk. I mean I've met a lot of people in real life, that I don't like but let's just say if I don't like a certain person I say it to their face. So, you can hate someone you've never met.

Hello!

Yes, I believe you can. You see, it's all in the meaning of the words "Meet" and "Know". You can know something about a person without having met them. For example, you know a lot about a famous person, like a rock star, but you never actually met him. Now, next day you read an artical that says: "Rock star murdered his wife because she refused to buy him drugs". You automatically, begin to dislike his actions, and thus, you start to dislike the person himself.

In conclusion, yes, you can.

Yes, I completely can understand how someone could hate someone they've never met before. The person could have wronged them, prior to them meeting. I try not to hold prejudice prior to meeting someone, but I could definitely see myself doing exactly that.

Wow I've gotta say this is the first time I've seen you lose your cool here. Where is it you work? maybe someone or some of can write a strongly worded letter.

Telling anyone specifically where I work other than saying that it is a grocery store would put me at great risk of losing my job as the technicality that I mentioned was actually me going public in the form of two youtube videos against this company policy that I believe is unconstitutional which I only did once all other options were thoroughly exhausted. Since I was wearing the company uniform in the first video and the second video was a picture of company property legally speaking even though I wasn't on company time I was "representing the company" and therefore didn't really have a leg to stand on.

I didn't intend to single out my company in particular but to give the message that many companies are implementing this policy which is unconstitutional violation of privacy and that the company you work for may be next.If I were to do it over again I simply would have spoke about that policy without even mentioning the company I work for or that their implementation of the policy.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

I think it depends. I've never met Hitler, but based on the thoroughly documented things he did to Jews and other people I can say I'm fine hating him.

You can't blame him for that. Usually he will be getting transportation from someone else. The reasons you listed listed...

Slated the UK? he covered the UK? thats why you hate him.

Arrived late to a concert I can say with certainty these are a few of the dumbest reasons to hate someone...

Read my full post please. You've taken what I've said out of context.

Besides, he had a shambles of a tour, and it's only proper for him to arrive on time, otherwise it's just a slap in the face to fans who had to go when he arrived because they'd have missed the last train. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21665179

I believe that link will back up my point.

Depending on the circumstances yes, I do believe that one can hate people they've never met before.

I, however, have a hard time hating anyone. I may strongly dislike them, but I'm rather hesitant to hate anyone.

I grew up learning that hate is a STRONG word to use.

I can agree to a certain point about disliking people.  There are a few people I personally strongly dislike; not hate.

About the Hitler thing... Yes I understand the "hate", but I feel as if a lot of people are saying that because they want to be the hero.  Saying you hate someone to seem right and just because others had said the same thing prior, isn't hating out of self-decision.  I'm not saying that no one is hating him on their own, I'm just saying I feel like it's kinda taken the form of a snowball effect here.....  If that makes sense?

Idk tell me what you guys think. I'm not trying to offend, I'm just making an inference based on what I just read from other responses.  

The definition of hate is (we'll use the noun): intense of passionate dislike 

Hate is a very strong word, that I believe a lot of people take for granted.

One last note I thought tied in with all of this. I was also taught (in French class)  that hate is the American opposite of love.  But in French being indifferent about something is the opposite of love.  I found this very interesting.  When you hate something, you technically care about that thing, person, object, etc to a certain point where u care what happens to that thing whether you want to admit it or not, you have feeling (even if it's negative) about that thing.... but when your indifferent about that thing, you don't care either way what happens to that certain thing.  Which makes sense why it's the opposite.  

tl:dr - Hate is a strong word and I think indifferent is better due to the lack of emotion put in the object your indifferent about.

Well, that all depends on how you're using "hate". People say they hate (for example) Justin Bieber's music, but they use the same word to denounce the actions and personas of Hitler, Stalin, and other tyrants who have caused great bodily harm to the world.

As a part-time misanthropist I have a great amount of distrust and a strong dislike for the majority of the human race, but I don't HATE them. So really, no, I don't think you can. You can despise their actions but as a person it's a mystery until you know them.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think so.... I mean there are a lot of celebrities some of my friends say that I hate, but I don't hate them, I just REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY dislike them!

Yes, since pretty much anyone has the power on the internet to f*ck you over if they really want to. And of course, sometimes there are persistent little F nuggets not letting you do what you want, or the way you want.

Edited by Zacharias