Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New Genres Index - feedback plz

Twilight Sparkle ✨

OMGosh that is awesome! :D

Great idea and great implementation!!

There's a lot of songs in "Other,"... Makes me thoughtful about the site having more genres. :)

I was curious about my "On Pegasus Wings" (I wasn't sure if I'd set it as "Country" or not...) and when I clicked on the "Edit Track" button from the song's page, I got the following error...

-------------------------------------

Unhandled Exception

Method [inline_labelled_checkbox] does not exist.

/home/pony/app/laravel/form.php on line 615

Stack Trace:

#0 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(386) : eval()'d code(28): Laravel\Form::__callStatic('inline_labelled...', Array)

#1 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(386) : eval()'d code(28): Laravel\Form::inline_labelled_checkbox('explicit', 'Track contains ...', 1, 0, Array)

#2 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(386): eval()

#3 /home/pony/app/laravel/blade.php(71): Laravel\View->get()

#4 [internal function]: Laravel\Blade::Laravel\{closure}(Object(Laravel\View))

#5 /home/pony/app/laravel/event.php(199): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)

#6 /home/pony/app/laravel/event.php(138): Laravel\Event::fire('laravel.view.en...', Array, true)

#7 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(348): Laravel\Event::until('laravel.view.en...', Array)

#8 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(590): Laravel\View->render()

#9 /home/pony/app/laravel/response.php(268): Laravel\View->__toString()

#10 /home/pony/app/laravel/laravel.php(180): Laravel\Response->render()

#11 /home/pony/app/public/index.php(34): require('/home/pony/app/...')

#12 {main}

Edited by Dreamsong

As cool as it is to see the cover art of one of my tracks "rep" the entire metal genre, I feel like static images that sort of embody each genre might be more fitting.

I was curious about my "On Pegasus Wings" (I wasn't sure if I'd set it as "Country" or not...) and when I clicked on the "Edit Track" button from the song's page, I got the following error...

-------------------------------------

Unhandled Exception

Method [inline_labelled_checkbox] does not exist.

/home/pony/app/laravel/form.php on line 615

Stack Trace:

#0 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(386) : eval()'d code(28): LaravelForm::__callStatic('inline_labelled...', Array)

#1 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(386) : eval()'d code(28): LaravelForm::inline_labelled_checkbox('explicit', 'Track contains ...', 1, 0, Array)

#2 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(386): eval()

#3 /home/pony/app/laravel/blade.php(71): LaravelView->get()

#4 [internal function]: LaravelBlade::Laravel{closure}(Object(LaravelView))

#5 /home/pony/app/laravel/event.php(199): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)

#6 /home/pony/app/laravel/event.php(138): LaravelEvent::fire('laravel.view.en...', Array, true)

#7 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(348): LaravelEvent::until('laravel.view.en...', Array)

#8 /home/pony/app/laravel/view.php(590): LaravelView->render()

#9 /home/pony/app/laravel/response.php(268): LaravelView->__toString()

#10 /home/pony/app/laravel/laravel.php(180): LaravelResponse->render()

#11 /home/pony/app/public/index.php(34): require('/home/pony/app/...')

#12 {main}

Oi, looks like we have a glitch on the track editor. I've fixed that so the page works again. Please don't mind the broken layout - that's next. smile.png

Update: Layout fixed now, too.

R&B

I believe that The Apology by d.notive is considered an R&B song.

Blues

Kaos Rizing by Tarbyrocks definitely fits this bill.

*rap +hip-hop as 2 different genres? (take out rap and keep hip-hop, they are the same thing),

Well, I'm not sure about you, but while I can't say the differences myself, it would probably be best if the two genres were there altogether, as people might... er... complain if there is one genre and not the other on something of this situation, IMO.

As for the genres, you could add, from the list Freewave posted, Acapella, Acoustic, Eurobeat, Funk and Punk.

Also, just as a little add-in, maybe add a Progressive one too, since enough genres used by others (especially those in Progressive Rock and I believe Progressive House too) would probably find it fairly useful. I put Eurobeat on separate because it's probably big enough to warrant it's own genre tag, I think.

but keep in mind too many small genres wont help a lot of people like the crucial bigger ones will.

Yeah, but I do believe that a lot of musciains tend to be detailed on what exact genre their songs are, and may not be as happy when they have to put their song under just "Rock". Tarbyrocks songs, for example, tend to be more than just one sub-genre, or similar. And I'm sure that the if we don't differentiate the Electronica brony musicians (which I believe tare the majority), People will have to look through hundreds of songs without finding the right genre, they're looking for.

There's also the fact that putting as many different enough genres between each, EVEN when they don't have a lot of musicians doing them would be nice altogther.. If Electronica got too many divisions, maybe Feld0 could make 2 pages instead of one?huh.png

I feel like static images that sort of embody each genre might be more fitting.

I agree with this. It will probably be more enticing to the viewers who are trying to find the genre (or even look new genres) to have a pony image that would best represent them (or at least any kind of image that best represents the genre).

• Brohoof 1

As cool as it is to see the cover art of one of my tracks "rep" the entire metal genre, I feel like static images that sort of embody each genre might be more fitting.

agree with this. It will probably be more enticing to the viewers who are trying to find the genre (or even look new genres) to have a pony image that would best represent them (or at least any kind of image that best represents the genre).

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I thought that showing random covers from each genre on the genre index would be a cool means of showing off the community's content, but I get where you're coming from that this could just be confusing to users. A well-made piece of pony art to represent each genre would certainly be stronger for brandability and recognition.

The main issue is that I'll then need someone to make bespoke genre art and be on call to make more for future genres as needed. @Arkane offered his skills for this on Skype the other day, but he lacks a scanner or the ability to digitize/vectorize his art.

There's also the fact that putting as many different enough genres between each, EVEN when they don't have a lot of musicians doing them would be nice altogther.. If Electronica got too many divisions, maybe Feld0 could make 2 pages instead of one?

The genre list can always be paginated if it gets overly long. That's not really a problem. However, I'd rather try to keep the list concise in the first place so listeners can easily get a glance of the fandom's musical output.

That's awesome. For the genre thumbnails, did you select those yourself, or are they randomly chosen from the song thumbnails within that genre? 

That's awesome. For the genre thumbnails, did you select those yourself, or are they randomly chosen from the song thumbnails within that genre? 

They're randomly chosen from songs in that genre that have a cover.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I thought that showing random covers from each genre on the genre index would be a cool means of showing off the community's content, but I get where you're coming from that this could just be confusing to users. A well-made piece of pony art to represent each genre would certainly be stronger for brandability and recognition.

The main issue is that I'll then need someone to make bespoke genre art and be on call to make more for future genres as needed. @Arkane offered his skills for this on Skype the other day, but he lacks a scanner or the ability to digitize/vectorize his art.

The genre list can always be paginated if it gets overly long. That's not really a problem. However, I'd rather try to keep the list concise in the first place so listeners can easily get a glance of the fandom's musical output.

Feld did you have any interest in using BMD's existing genre images? We have many already made and hopefully in a suitable appearance. I'd be fine with letting you use them. All I'd ask is maybe a BMD banner on the bottom of the page back to BMD so that we can get people who want to know more about those genres and bronies who specialize in them as well as some more people aware of our site as well. It would be cool to have sort of mutual relationship with pony.fm and this is a good place for it.

Feld did you have any interest in using BMD's existing genre images? We have many already made and hopefully in a suitable appearance. I'd be fine with letting you use them. All I'd ask is maybe a BMD banner on the bottom of the page back to BMD so that we can get people who want to know more about those genres and bronies who specialize in them as well as some more people aware of our site as well. It would be cool to have sort of mutual relationship with pony.fm and this is a good place for it.

Thanks for the offer. That is actually something I considered asking you about - I love your genres page! - but RKA offered to create a high-resolution set specifically for Pony.fm, so I'll probably go with that instead.

I have another potential opportunity for BMD with the genre blurbs that just came up, though. wink.png