Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Character Alignment

Caesar2013

After watching the show, I decided to come up with a list of the character's alignments towards good, evil, or neutral. This is just based off my observations and thoughts, but this is open to interpreatation. First the alignments and the characters:

Lawful Good: Lawful Good is known as the "Saintly" or "Crusader" alignment. A Lawful Good character typically acts with compassion, and always with honor and a sense of duty.

Princess Celestia

Twilight Sparkle

Rarity

Fluttershy

Shining Armor

Princess Cadence

Neutral Good: Neutral Good is known as the "Benefactor" alignment. A Neutral Good character is guided by his conscience and typically acts altruistically, without regard for or against Lawful precepts such as rules or tradition.

Applejack

The Cutie mark Crusaders

Braeburn

Chaotic Good: Chaotic Good is known as the "Beatific," "Rebel," or "Cynic" alignment. A Chaotic Good character favors change for a greater good, disdains bureaucratic organizations that get in the way of social improvement, and places a high value on personal freedom, not only for oneself, but for others as well.

Rainbow Dash

Lawfule Neutral: Lawful Neutral is called the "Judge" or "Disciplined" alignment. A Lawful Neutral character typically believes strongly in Lawful concepts such as honor, order, rules and tradition, and often follows a personal code. A Lawful Neutral society would typically enforce strict laws to maintain social order, and place a high value on traditions and historical precedent

True Neutral: Neutral alignment, also referred to as True Neutral or Neutral Neutral, is called the "Undecided" or "Nature's" alignment. This alignment represents Neutral on both axes, and tends not to feel strongly towards any alignment. A farmer whose primary overriding concern is to feed his family is of this alignment.

Big Macintosh

Chaotic Neurtral: Chaotic Neutral is called the "Anarchist" or "Free Spirit" alignment. A character of this alignment is an individualist who follows his or her own heart, and generally shirks rules and traditions. Although they promote the ideals of freedom, it is their own freedom that comes first. Good and Evil come second to their need to be free, and the only reliable thing about them is how totally unreliable they are.

Lawful Evil: Lawful Evil is referred to as the "Dominator" or "Diabolic" alignment. Characters of this alignment see a well-ordered system as being easier to exploit, and show a combination of desirable and undesirable traits; while they usually obey their superiors and keep their word, they care nothing for the rights and freedoms of other individuals and are not averse to twisting the rules to work in their favor.

Diamond Tirara

Neutral Evil: Neutral Evil is called the "Malefactor" alignment. Characters of this alignment are typically selfish and have no qualms about turning on their allies-of-the-moment, and usually make allies primarily to further their own goals. They have no compunctions about harming others to get what they want, but neither will they go out of their way to cause carnage or mayhem when they see no direct benefit to it.

Nightmare Moon

Queen Chrysalis

Chaotic Evil: Chaotic Evil is referred to as the "Destroyer" or "Demonic" alignment. Characters of this alignment tend to have no respect for rules, other people's lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. They set a high value on personal freedom, but do not have any regard for the lives or freedom of other people.

King Sombra

I only decided to do a few of the characters, as they popped out of my head right away as I went through with them.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not quite sure how useful the Lawful/Chaotic alignment is.  Yeah, Princess Celestia is probably LG, given her role in government, but I can't think of anything that would distinguish Twilight, Rarity, and Fluttershy between LG and NG.

And you're missing Discord - I'd probably classify him as CE.

Discord, after Keep Calm and Flutter On, seems more Chaotic Neutral. 

And what about Pinkie Pie?  She's  difficult to classify, IMO.  She has the conscience of a Neutral Good, but the free spirited personality of a Choatic Neutral. 

I'd also argue that characters like Flim and Flam and Gilda are Neutral Evil, since they really seem more out for themselves than anything.

• Brohoof 1

Good point.  I just re-watched The Return of Harmony, however, and in that episode I think he's pretty clearly Chaotic Evil.  The "no respect for the rules, other people's (ponies?) lives, etc" bit is a pretty good description of him in that episode.

I think Applejack would fall under Lawful Good.

This is an interesting topic to think about. I think most Ponies fall under Lawful Neutral alignment.

But say if we're talking about the genocidal Ponies of the the Conversion Bureau universes? I think the Ponies that agree with the xenocide of the Human race fall under Chaotic Evil.

Edited by Rush

Yeah, personally I'd move Applejack into LG, Rarity and Fluttershy into NG, and put Pinkie in CG.

There really isn't enough seen of Sombra in-show to really do him justice, but given what he was *supposed* to be like as an Expy of Sauron, I'd put him in LE.

I would also say Discord is currently CN.

Princess Luna is another really hard one, as she wanders all the way across LN to CG, and if you add in the Nightmare Moon personality, she basically covers the entire spectrum at one point or another.

I'd say that Trixie in Boast Busters would be Neutral Evil most definitely. For most of Magic Duel, I'd say she was Lawful Evil, since she took over Ponyville and pretty much enslaved everyone and enacted new laws, which are definitely the traits of a Lawful Evil character. After her redemption, I'd put her at Chaotic Neutral or Neutral Good.

I'd also place Gummy in Chaotic Evil. Truly he is a force to be feared by all ponykind.

• Brohoof 1

That is an interesting interpretation, but I do not personally agree with the use of the chaotic and lawful adjectives. From what I have seen, Princess Celestia, and eventually Princess Luna, put goodness over tradition or social expectations. Princess Celestia is shown many times to act with benevolence and unselfishness, and not acting like she is better than anyone else, or to generalize, not acting how one might expect some royalty to act. 

Here is how I would order them. 

Good: Leaders

Princess Celestia

Princess Luna

Princess Cadence 

Prince Shining Armor

Zecora 

These characters are on the side of goodness, light, and love, as well as being leaders who effectively guide others in positive directions. These characters are able to do that due to the wisdom they have gathered from their great experience. Out of these characters, I would say that Princess Celestia is the most good.

Good

Princess Twilight Sparkle

Fluttershy

Rarity

Apple Jack

Pinkie Pie

Rainbow Dash

Spike

Discord (after he chose to join the side of good)

As well as many more minor characters, and the majority of the inhabitants of Equestria.

All of these characters are on the side of goodness, light, and love. They are not necessarily as wise as the leaders, but they are also not necessarily any less good. I place Twilight Sparkle here instead of in the leaders category because, although she has gained enough wisdom to be coronated as a princess, she has not had the amount of experience as others in that category have.

Neutral

Some of the inhabitants of Equestria who are not necessarily either good or bad. These are primarily characters who do not show up in the series regularly. I'll include Diamond Tiara and her friend in this category, because their meanness could be primarily attributed to immaturity, and they very well could change their behavior once they become more mature.

Bad

Some dragons

Iron Will

Nightmare Moon (before Princess Luna became good again)

Discord (before he became good)

These characters range from being bad influences, such as Iron Will, to wanting to harm others, such as Discord before he became good. However, none of these characters are seriously hateful or evil.

Evil

Queen Chrysalis

The Changelings

The Windigos 

King Sombra

These characters are solidly against the side of good, and are all anti-love and anti-light. This is evidenced by the fact that both Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra wanted to enslave everyone, and in some way destroy love, light, and peace. Out of these characters, I would say that King Sombra is the most evil.

I don't know about King Sombra being the most evil...

He did enslave the Crystal ponies and he does use corrupted dark magic, but at the same time Chrysalis could be seen as just as bad since she cocooned Celestia, took over all of Canterlot, made Shining Armor her love slave, and was going to try and take over all of Equestria.

As far as we know, Sombra had no ambitions outside of the Crystal Empire and was content to just make the lives of the Crystal ponies miserable. You know, for the Crystalsss.

• 2 years later...

And what about Pinkie Pie?  She's  difficult to classify, IMO.  She has the conscience of a Neutral Good, but the free spirited personality of a Choatic Neutral. 

I'd also argue that characters like Flim and Flam and Gilda are Neutral Evil, since they really seem more out for themselves than anything.

Flim and Flam are not NE, they are more TN/CN, they are sheisty and self interested capitalists, but they are not explicitly evil just because they do some shady things and tend to stretch truth and be dishonest.  they are evil leaning, but i wouldn't say that they are so self-interested that they deserve to be evil, because things they do, are done in the media and world wide corporations every day, yet we don't call them evil, we call them smart businesses.

Gilda also not evil, though a bitch, not really evil.  people can be mean and commit petty theft without being evil, you would have to see much more of Gilda's actions to see if she was actually evil, i would say more CN, evil leaning.  Gilda doesn't go around physically attacking people, doesn't commit any major crimes.  yeah, she popped some of Pinkie's balloons and messed with her flying machine, which was dangerous, but without the context of a cartoon, and we know Pinkie can take that, and i think Gilda realized that it was a bad thing to do, but doesn't automatically make her evil, though it was a mean thing to do.

if Gilda would have actually done lasting damage, caused bloodshed, or had more ill intent other than being a bitchy bully, i could justify her being evil.  but i personally believe evil is a titled earned by some of the most dark minded and sadistic beings.

and yes, i agree, Discord started as CE, then got reformed and slowly nudged over to CN.

So here's my list for most of the Mane 6 and some other characters:

Twilight Sparkle, Rarity and Applejack: Lawful Good

Fluttershy: Neutral Good

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash: Chaotic Good

Discord: Chaotic Evil (pre-reform) Chaotic Neutral (post-reform)

Apple Bloom: Neutral Good

Sweetie Belle: Lawful Good

Scootaloo: Chaotic Good

Tirek and Nightmare Moon: Lawful Evil

Chrysalis: Neutral Evil

I could never get those alignments because characters can always change. Luna felt very Chaotic Evil at first but then became Lawful Good for instance. The whole need to create the Tantibus reinforces the idea she is being very Lawful Good. Lawful Good types or boy scouts tend to go overboard on the need to discipline themselves like that resulting in catastrophic incidents.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The CMC are more neutral as they are so focused on getting their cutie marks they aren't afraid to hurt others, such as in the newspaper episode.

Edited by GuyNamedEarl