Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your idea of love?

omran97

I'm a bit cynical when it comes to love. In my life experience I've gone through three parent separations, the most recent one being the most heartbreaking. I find it hard to believe that good hearted people are always hurt when it comes to love.

From my own experiences, I've never been in a relationship, and the idea of intimacy scares the bejesus outta me. So unfortunately my vision of romantic love is not a positive one

The love for a family however us immensely different. I believe that this kind if love is the most valuable by far

Love... What is Love...

Well, I'll share my side of things when it comes to love though it's nothing all too big.

It's when you're with someone you cannot be without, someone you feel changes you, and makes you feel you can do anything, feeling you need to be with that someone every moment of your life, and you cannot spend less time with them, when you feel all the time in the world to be with them just isn't enough, love makes you doubt the way you think, makes you want to believe, it's all so much, it's just so hard to explain, it's something that's felt, and something that's hard to express, if I were to try in anyway to express love... It'd personally just come out as gibberish, going on about the person, how much they mean to you... They mean much more than your own life, they can save you in a way, they can make you think twice about everything, 

Love is a prize in life.

Love. You need to find the person to fit you like the perfect puzzle piece. You care so much, you'd take a bullet for them. You care less about the flaws and blemishes, but more about heart, character, and carelessness. 

It's a feeling that never truly goes away, once the right person is found. 

It's the person who you can share a hot cocoa with on a winter day.

It's someone who you can be yourself around, without getting judged. 

It's someone with whom you can fully trust with all of your dreams, thoughts and secrets.

It's the person you can cuddle when you are fearful of what the future holds.

I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. smile.png

No problem. I love that song :3

Anyways, I actually once learned in a psychology class that, theoretically, there's an infinite number of kinds of love.

• 2 months later...

Hello there fellow Bronies :D

so i decided i was ready to get back into the dating scene recently, but that got me thinking about what love actually is, and what it entails... and i came up with a little list:

1: You don't care about being seen as an idiot with the person you love

2: You go out of your way to do what your lover wants to do

3: Doing the most outrageous sh*t, just to bring a smile to their face

4: Forgetting all your troubles when you look at them

5: Snuggles! :D

then i realised, my list is completely different to my friend's, and his is totally different to his sister's... and so on

So i was wondering, what do you guys and girls think about love? what is it? what does it involve? does it even exist?

I'm genuinely interested to here all your thoughts on the matter :)

Thanks for reading! ^_^

• Brohoof 5

Oh my Celestia, this is exactly what I admire in a relationship. Unfortunately, "it isn't even love" unless you have spent at least more than a month with that person. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how much you snuggle with them or how comfortable you are with that person, love is a number.... -___-

Edited by Wingin'Wolf
  • Brohoof 1

Well I've never had a boyfriend, but when I do, this would be my list (of course I've had crushes though):

-Doing pretty much anything to make them happy

-Cuddling

-Just being near them is great, you don't even have to talk

-Being there for them

-Cuddling

-Being happy with them

-Did I mention cuddling?  :wub:

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I would have to agree with those. In my opinion, love is feeling a deep attraction and connection to someone, and is also being able to put the other person's happiness above your own.

I definitely think true love exists. My boyfriend and I really do love each other, and even though we've only been together for a few months, we hope to be in love with each other for a really long time to come.

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, "it isn't even love" unless you have spent at least more than a month with that person.

...who told you this? they're not only wrong, they're also stupid. how long you spend with someone doesn't dictate how much you love them, hell, i have a friend who was married for years, and they genuinely can't stand each other (they ended up getting divorced) whereas people that have been in love for a few weeks get genuinely hurt when they're away from their lover.

besides, you shouldn't let what other people say influence your idea of love :)

• Brohoof 2

...who told you this? they're not only wrong, they're also stupid. how long you spend with someone doesn't dictate how much you love them, hell, i have a friend who was married for years, and they genuinely can't stand each other (they ended up getting divorced) whereas people that have been in love for a few weeks get genuinely hurt when they're away from their lover.

besides, you shouldn't let what other people say influence your idea of love :)

My ex. I did feel hurt when I couldn't see her as often (stupid summer break) and got clingy.

IIiii'm still not so sure anymore.

To me, it's a person that inspires you. Someone that gets you to see things in you you didn't think were there. The light in your darkest hours. Affectionate. Caring. Kind. Shares their life with you, involving you in ways they think they can make you apart of. Knowing who you really are. Caring about the inside, not the outside. Having fun together. Always happy to see you. Doesn't get bored of you, but looks forward to you almost everyday. Is there for you. Both your lover, and your best friend. Trusts you. Honest. Isn't afraid to talk about things they may feel afraid of saying. Comfortable to be around.

Edited by FeIix
  • Brohoof 2

I could go into sciency stuff, but I'm way too lazy for that. Love is when you are attracted to a person both physically and emotionally, when you would honestly want to spend the rest of your life with said person. It's when you go out of your way to make sure they are happy, and are willing to talk actively about the most embarrassing things. Although, I feel like you have to give a relationship time to know whether you are "in love". If you don't feel the same way after 6 months or longer, then it never was love.

Love is something I have not found yet sadly, but hopefully will. It is when a person, despite anything, is that important to you that you will be willing to spend your life with them. That despite what happens, you will treat them and feel that they are family. 

I consider love to be when I find someone that I can't stop feeling emotions for. But to be LOVED, the opposite, when SOMEONE ELSE can't stop feeling emotions for me (not sure when that'll happen... Only truly happened once, actually online.)

But also te snuggles :3

Oh did I MENTION TE SNUGGLES??? :P

Edited by Twilight Sniper

I have been in love once, sadly it didn't work out, but when I was then, there was nothing else I thought about and it made the world seem like a different place, even when we wern't talking I could think of her and just smile so wide ^_^  It's hard to describe but it's far deeper than anything physical.  It literally made me a totally different person and made me feel complete, a feeling which I never had before :wub:  

Needless to say when it ended I was heart broken for a long time, and even though it still hurts even now I can look back on it and smile thinking how it made me feel, I can be happy knowing that I have so much to look forward to when I fall for someone again :)  

• Brohoof 1

To me, love isn't always about doing absolutely anything to make the other happy particularly if it comes to your own expense. A relationship like that, imo, ends up being one-sided very fast and may result in one side changing to suit the other. A healthy relationships always have two sides to the coin. There always has to be a balance, yinyang if you will. What's more important is for there to be compromise, and it's imperative that both sides learn to do this by accepting one another and making up for each other's flaws.

Imo, love is really when you've been away from someone and you feel your heart rushing when you're about to see them again. It doesn't have to have a reason, it doesn't have to involve doing anything. It is realizing that you can't be away from that person for very long, if at all, and only the thought of building a distance from them hurts. It's the feeling that when you're with that person, you can do anything, and that you would do anything to protect that person from danger. And I definitely agree with the OP's first point :P

• Brohoof 1

Love is a drug, one that I'm immune to. lol

Anyway, it's pretty much what's on the OPs list. I don't really know what love is, at least not like the ones being discussed. Love is a drug, though once you're in love your brain wants you to have sex so that's what it's about it wants you to be with that person since that person is the best match and the feeling is what's called dopamine,also known as the "feel good" hormone it's rewarding you.  But yeah, love is just being with that person and enjoying doing so, just all that cheesy stuff.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

When the word "love" comes up, we tend to think about the mushy, romantic stuff.  And yes, I could drone on and on about that.  :P  But I would be remiss if I don't repeat one of my favorite sayings:  True love is putting another person's happiness ahead of your own.  That holds true if you're talking about a friend, a blood relative, a neighbor, or a significant other.  Even Disney's Frozen, which I feared at first would have another "kiss saves the day" ending, shows this to be the case.  :)

• Brohoof 1

Well, at the most basic level, love is merely a hormonal reaction to advance the propagation of the species.

I understand that this answer is not what was being asked for, but love is not really something that can be defined easily.

Not that I'd know, being a heartless monster.