Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your idea of love?

omran97

(edited)

Dammit. Everyone already beat me to it. :( Now I have to answer the actual question.

Um, I don't really know. The biggest thing for me would be two people who actually enjoy being together.

EDIT: Screw it, I'm posting this anyway.

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more.

Who-oo-oh-oo-oooooooah, who-ooooooooooah, aaaa-ahhh...

But seriously now.

I really don't think love is something that can be defined. It's a connection between two people that's beyond our understanding...

Edited by ~Chaotic Eddie~
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Never going to give someone up.

/lol

IM SO SORRY, OP, I JUST HAD TO POST THIS SONG!!11

Edited by Guest

It is almost a rule at this point that on the internet, and time the question "What is love?" is asked, it will be followed by that song.

Yeah, I pretty much just opened this thread to post that, too.

• Brohoof 1

Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more.

If I could double brohoof that I would.

Danka

Well yeah, there's a difference between brotherly love and relationship love. Relationship love involves sexual attraction as well as friendly attraction.

But in all seriosity, though, can we maybs get back on topic? Or on topic to begin with?

That song is just so damn catchy though, I can't think of anything else now.

• Brohoof 1

Well yeah, there's a difference between brotherly love and relationship love. Relationship love involves sexual attraction as well as friendly attraction.

But is sexual attraction really a part of Love itself? After all, I could be sexually attracted to plenty women whom I don't even know well enough to love. Could it be simply that we call the relationship by a different name when those other parts are added on top of the Love itself?

(edited)

But is sexual attraction really a part of Love itself? After all, I could be sexually attracted to plenty women whom I don't even know well enough to love. Could it be simply that we call the relationship by a different name when those other parts are added on top of the Love itself?

Yes, it is a part of love itself. That's why intercourse is commonly called "making love". As I said there's brotherly love then there's relationship love.

Edited by Rivendare

Yes, it is a part of love itself. That's why intercourse is commonly called "making love"

But I could just as easily (though I wouldn't, personally) have sex with someone for no other reason but that I find her sexually attractive, without any emotional investment whatsoever.

• Brohoof 1

Here are my definitions of love.

First, I'd like to make one thing clear: there is a difference between infatuation, or being attracted to someone, and loving them. If you're unsure what I'm talking about, watch the movie Frozen. I once read somewhere that you might be "in love" with someone, but not love them. This "being in love" is just infatuation or obsession. It has nothing to do with love.

1) Erotic, or romantic love. This is the form of love that has been hardwired into our bodies as animals, and demands that we reproduce. This is the most common idea of love in modern society, and it's just on the right border of infatuation or animal desire to be called love.

2) Familial love. This is the kind of love that family members have for each other, caring and looking out for each other (hopefully). This is also hardwired into us as human animals, in order to protect the basic part of our social structure: the family unit.

3) Charity, what I call "true love", and also (because I'm Christian) the True Love of Christ, or Christlike love. This is unconditional, meaning you care for someone no matter what, and truly hope for what's best for them, as well as taking action to promote their welfare. All other forms of love, attachment, empathy, compassion, etc. with the single exception of erotic love strive towards the goal of becoming "true love".

Those are just the three most important ideas on this subject in my head, it's an emotion so you can't specifically categorize it. The only one that matters to me is Charity, because if there was more of it in the world, our lives would be drastically changed for the better.

• Brohoof 2

Of course I think there's different levels of love. I don't feel the same way toward my friends/family that I feel towards Chevette (boyfriend). I see it as:

1. Romantic/"Lover" love

2. Family love

3. Friendship/platonic love

You'd do different things for different people and you wouldn't say the same thing to each of those ^ (or I wouldn't).

Romantic love is my first thought when you say "love" and ...For me, of course I could NEVER speak for people as a whole, THAT kind of love happens when you're comfortable with them, share common interests, can talk about shit for hours on end and not get bored, want THEM to be happy, care about them more than yourself, and you realize you'd do whatever it takes to keep them happy and THEY'D do the same. And there's a certain level of attraction as well. I just so happened to met THAT guy on the forums. I love my Chevette. We even live together now.

b2562440cb7e1dfdef9d33a01fa16971.png

Then (also, this is from MY standpoint) you have family love. I love them because they've taken care of me (of course I don't get along with all my family but I love them for what they've done for me) I feel like that love is kind of there from the start and it grows depending on how close you get to each member.

Friendship/platonic love is the kinda love where you care about them but there's not really the attraction there is with romantic love.... obviously. You CARE but you don't wanna be romantically involved.

That's just MY opinion, Mr. Krabs.

Obviously 5th Century BC Chinese philosopher Mozi had it all figured out

If every one in the world will love universally; states not attacking one another; houses not disturbing one another; thieves and robbers becoming extinct; emperor and ministers, fathers and sons, all being affectionate and filial -- if all this comes to pass the world will be orderly. Therefore, how can the wise man who has charge of governing the empire fail to restrain hate and encourage love? So, when there is universal love in the world it will be orderly, and when there is mutual hate in the world it will be disorderly.

Doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to think that love is a connection that can form between anyone who care for each other very much.  It can be between lovers, between a parent and a child, between siblings, between an apprentice and a mentor, even between friends.  Doesn't matter if it's romantic or platonic, it's still love.

Well I suppose I'll put my thoughts down here, too.

To me, Love in its truest, purest form is a choice; if it's Love, it's a choice, and if it isn't a choice, it isn't Love. Sexual attraction isn't Love. Romance isn't Love. These are both good things, especially between a husband and wife, but they're in addition to Love, not necessary parts of it. Love is selfless, patient, forgiving, understanding, generous, kind. I think that, on its own, the love I will have for my future wife will be essentially the same as the love I have for my best friend since childhood. I'll just have more on top of that with my wife, like extra icing on a cake. But that won't be Love, it'll be in addition to Love.

Furthermore, along the lines of Love being a choice, I think one (if not the) primary reason the divorce rate is so high is that people think Love just happens. It doesn't. Infatuation can just happen, sexual attraction can just happen, but if it just happens, it ain't love.