Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Immature kids today!

JeanHover

So, first of all, I am currently in middle school. Being in middle school, I am surrounded by people who are immature and ignorant. No biggy, just regular middle school stuff.

But I freaking hate it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only conscious person there, save a few of my friends (who are girls). I feel this way because all the other guys there are obsessed with every inappropriate thing they hear about, and apparently think it's completely cool to talk about it in front of everyone. This acting, by the way, is totally fine from their perspective seeing how they show zero signs of restraint when spitting obscenities or lewd comments. They laugh at this crap every day, as if it's the pinnacle of comedy when you say the word "shit." This is, of course, why I mainly hang out with girls. 

Now, this is probably expected in kids about my age, but nowadays I am seeing kids much younger doing things like this. Children these days are taking out what is actually good about childhood and replacing it with crap that probably should only appear much later in their life. 

Deep breaths...

Anyways, forums, what are your opinions on the subject of recurring, obnoxious immaturity in children and young teenagers? 

Edited by Jverne
  • Brohoof 35

Well, i'm glad that I'm in High School and not in middle school. I hated middle school, anyway, onto what I was gonna say.

For younger kids, it's really more of an influence and not just a random or unexpected thing. Since they are around that kind of talk of inapropriate stuff, it causes them to think that it's okay to talk stuff like that because it's "Natural or Cool"

All this is influence man, you would expect something like this to happen, and also, it's obvious that those kids weren't raised by their parents the way they should have been raised to not talk about bad things and start acting more mature... something tells me that when they get to high school, they won't last long being a fish.

• Brohoof 4

Trust me this is all normal well... for this generation of kids it is... I went through it and still do... And yes the females to tend to be more mature but they do speak about things as you progress that you will not want to be part of trust me... But for the most part just bare through it trust me it gets WAY worse... bein a seinor in high school i know how it is... I'd also like to point out that it is mostly the social media's fault on why children are acting how they do...

Edited by Arcticbloom
  • Brohoof 1

This generation needs to go back to morality school. It's just sad how the influence of the outside world has scarred this generation. From Eminem to that heavy metal, a lot of people listen to that crap and it changes them. People think it's cool but it's not. It's rude, it's disrespectful and most of all, it mades our generation look really really bad.  

• Brohoof 3

I'd also like to point out that it is mostly the social media's fault on why children are acting how they do...

Now that you mention it, one huge example of that kind of influence is the school dances. They chose clean versions of every explicit song, but nearly all the songs are explicit. This one Rihanna song entitled "S&M," also known as the dirtiest song I have ever heard, is played at nearly every one because the students request it.

This generation needs to go back to morality school. It's just sad how the influence of the outside world has scarred this generation. From Eminem to that heavy metal, a lot of people listen to that crap and it changes them. People think it's cool but it's not. It's rude, it's disrespectful and most of all, it mades our generation look really really bad.  

The problem isn't the music, it's the television and social media that glorifies it that is the problem.

The music a child listens to should have no effect on how they develop social skills. There's a big difference between listening to an artist like Eminem for what it is (entertainment) and believing that the language and subject he uses in his music is socially acceptable to be imitated.

I am only 18 years old myself; not much older than than the children in question, and I listened to Eminem and rap as well as heavy metal growing up. You don't see me going around shouting explitives and imitating the sort of behavior the modern day rapper portrays (drugs, violence, etc.).

The problem isn't the music kids listen to, it's a combination of everything. Television networks like MTV glorify bad behavior these days with shows like Teen Mom and Jersey Shore. Early teenagers are still very impressionable, so when they see people getting pregnant at 16 or drinking until they black out on television, it gives them the false ideaology that imitating that behavior will allow them to be on those television shows.

Combined with the fact that rappers like Drake, Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz are championed as heroes for their lyrics about sex, drugs, and violence (which 9 out 10 times is just a persona for most rappers), and kids start to believe that being rude, violent, and just downright mean-spirited is the best way to achieve fame and social acceptance.

It's a shame really, as many of these children are in for a rude awakening when they realize that kid of behavior isn't acceptable in the real world.

Edited by Twinhead B
  • Brohoof 2

Now that you mention it, one huge example of that kind of influence is the school dances. They chose clean versions of every explicit song, but nearly all the songs are explicit. This one Rihanna song entitled "S&M," also known as the dirtiest song I have ever heard, is played at nearly every one because the students request it.

Exactly! Along side with Facebook and Twitter children are being exsposed to more than they should be at the age they are.... As your example proved music.. MUSIC! Is to blame... that and other medias but mostly MUSIC! That is most likely the source of the problem you are haveing... (sorry i have strong opinions about todays music)

• Brohoof 2

It's a shame really, as many of these foals are in for a rude awakening when they realize that kid of behavior isn't acceptable in the real world.

Sometimes...it's too late, they find themselves behind bars because they were mislead by the media. The brain of a young person is still developing. Somebody's got to rid those television shows. 

Oooooh, I feel bad for you once you hit secondary. That's when drugs and alcohol get in as well.

Unfortunately, most of our generation is easily amused by crudeness and other idiotic things, which is why awful, poorly made films that just spam curses are so popular and well-liked.

I see eight year olds dressed up like little drag queens and cursing/listening to WILDLY inappropriate, which their equally terrible parents allow. It's just as much their fault for allowing their children to act like that without telling them it's wrong.

Edited by PinkieDaShy
  • Brohoof 4

I see it as a result of television and the Internet, but also a result of just general stupidity. Television nowadays, at least the most popular shows and whatnot, are being catered to the lowest of the low in terms of entertainment and yet it is still popular. The Internet is home to many, many incredibly stupid things and it seems this generation of kids is more prone to the stupid stuff than anything with actual intelligence. This is a prime reason to why I closed my Facebook account a while back, it is just completely mindless. That is why this is one of the only sites that I go to now, because I love this show and fandom, but also it is has many great individuals that have a friggin brain that works in a non-stupid manner.

• Brohoof 2

Indeed. I don't get people's minds these days...I had a lovely little chat with a thickheaded idiot the other day, and honestly, the immaturity of him makes me want to throw up so badly. The so mentioned idiot might even be looking at this message right now and possibly thinking of some obscene insults to throw at me...sigh. Children these days...

Edited by Manaphy

I will admit that during my teen years while I did in fact have quite the potty mouth and had a reputation for being the king of dirty jokes I was still disgusted with a lot of people my age for quite a few reasons, part of it is because as an individual with Autism the basic unwritten social rules did not come easily to me so I often did and said inappropriate without even realizing it. And partly because I found many of these rules to be arbitrary and stupid and made a point to rebel against them due in large part to the fact that none of the explanations parents and teachers offered made sense to me.

I still have somewhat of a potty mouth but don't swear as much as as I used to in large part because I feel that if you overuse certain they lose their power. And I still enjoy a good dirty joke but though I may not completely understand why some of that stuff is judged as inappropriate I came to the conclusion that there isn't always a rational reason why someone dosen't like something as not everything that bothered me always had a rational explanation so it dosen't hurt to put a lid on that every now and then.

Even back then though I was extremely dissapointed in my generation because I felt that they were incredibly shallow, stupid and selfish. I hated how I was treated by many of my peers simply because I was judged as different and the way others who were seen as different were treated, and I never understood the obsession with trying to follow the crowd and like things because they are "cool" or "hip". Today though I am kind of dissapointed in the older generations because many in my generation and even some younger are starting to wake up to what is really going on in the world and are demanding that things change while most of the older generation are stubbornly sticking to the status quo. It is why Ron Paul and now his son Rand Paul have become popular and why libertarian ideas and ideas from other alternative political philosophies outside the "mainstream" are becoming more mainstream.

I was once like this.

Back in my first year of middle school (or 6th grade), I was a really immature kid who would basically annoy anyone on the bus. It also ment I was wayyy over excited without coke and that I basically laughed at any innapropriate joke/sentence.

And as you know, doing things like that will eventually get you into trouble. In this case (once I was going paranoid): Out of school suspension.
After I realized what I was doing was extremely stupid, I decided that I wanted to seperate away from everyone by homeschooling. Turns out it actually worked since by the middle of 7th grade, I was much calmer (and lazier) then before.

--

Besides all of that though, ive never really encountered any immature people in school since I never see any anymore.

• Brohoof 2

Hello!

I'm going to support some of the posters that already posted on this thread. I to, blame some of the media, but mostly society itself.

Parents, do quite a bad job most of the time when it comes to the friends the kid makes. He learns most of the curse words, or other inapropriate things from them... Television, movies, games, are also somewhat to blame, though this doesn't effect everyone...

To conclude, there were always immature kids, and there's nothing to be to surprised of... I do wish, the world would be a tad more mature...

• Brohoof 1

Anyways, forums, what are your opinions on the subject of recurring, obnoxious immaturity in children and young teenagers? 

If anything I'm more sick of people who find there way onto forums and complain about a small group of kids and then blame the entire bloody generation for it. 

• Brohoof 1

Bad parenting is a big factor to situation too. Parents nowadays would much rather spend $60 on a video game like Call of Duty than actually watch their children, and because of this, these children (sometimes as young as 6 or 7) are exposed to a subject matter that is over their head and an online environment in which everyone can say what they want because they have anonymity.

pennyarcadeinternetwadt.jpg

This image just about sums it up perfectly.

If anything I'm more sick of people who find there way onto forums and complain about a small group of kids and then blame the entire bloody generation for it. 

Now, now, there's no need for that.

• Brohoof 4

Indeed. I don't get people's minds these days...I had a lovely little chat with a thickheaded idiot the other day, and honestly, the immaturity of him makes me want to throw up so badly. The so mentioned idiot might even be looking at this message right now and possibly thinking of some obscene insults to throw at me...sigh. Children these days...

I think Internet culture doesn't help this, people post rubbish on sites like YouTube and get thumbs up and comments supporting them from other immature people so people copy them because they think its the right thing to do and the cycle repeats.

• Brohoof 1

And this is why I always tell people I'm never having kids. Because I can't stand them. The moment you take them out of that protective shell, and they are exposed to the corrosive rot of the world... they just can't be salvaged without extreme help. #yiff

That is a delightfully depressing view, but that is kind of the problem though it seems a lot of parents either just let their kids do whatever they want and let TV, video games and the internet be their kids babysitter or they become over protective and try to stick them in a bubble thinking that shielding them from everything is going to protect them when it is really just as bad as being neglectful.

It's not a new problem, by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm sure it's gotten worse.

As usual, I don't think it's any one thing that has led to the general degradation of manners in society, and it isn't JUST among kids.  Some of you will be shocked to hear that adults at work can be just as filthy-mouthed and inappropriate as middle-schoolers, laughing at stuff that's just as stupid.

How people are raised is definitely part of it.  If you're missing a parent, you'll probably turn to a friend for guidance, and you can guess how often that goes well.  Even with two parents, if they weren't raised well or chose to rebel against their parents' way of doing things severely enough, you're in for a rough time.

Popular media certainly has an effect.  The cool people are never law-abiding and polite, are they?  Those people are always prissy, ineffectual, and the butts of jokes.  It's regarded as cool to rebel against the system and all its rules, to say whatever you want, to have no regard for other people's feelings, well-being or property, and to never think about the consequences of your actions.

The anonymity of the internet has't helped at all, and while I doubt many trolls have the courage to carry their obnoxiousness into real-life, it affects us plenty in cyberspace.

I'm not sure profanity has increased a whole lot to be honest, but the pool of words has shrunk.  There was plenty of cussing even in Shakespeare's day (and in his plays) but it was more colorful and varied.  Today it's just eff this and eff that, no creativity at all, just always go for the worst swear you know.  People need to read more!  Not just to increase their cursing vocabulary, mind you.   6,6

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure profanity has increased a whole lot to be honest, but the pool of words has shrunk.  There was plenty of cussing even in Shakespeare's day (and in his plays) but it was more colorful and varied.  Today it's just eff this and eff that, no creativity at all, just always go for the worst swear you know.  People need to read more!  Not just to increase their cursing vocabulary, mind you.   6,6

Yeah seriously, when I was in high school it was almost impossible for me to relate to most of my peers in part because of this. I may have been a potty mouth back then and still am but not as much but I at least knew how to speak in complete, coherent sentences. Listening to even some adults try to talk is just sad.

That is a delightfully depressing view, but that is kind of the problem though it seems a lot of parents either just let their kids do whatever they want and let TV, video games and the internet be their kids babysitter or they become over protective and try to stick them in a bubble thinking that shielding them from everything is going to protect them when it is really just as bad as being neglectful.

Is it a greater vice to do nothing and let someone get destroyed faster or do too much and keep them from getting from getting destroyed for as long as possible. I'm happy I'm naive as I am still. #yiff

Well, your not alone, I've suffered this in middle school, high school, and EVEN elementary! It's unique how kids act these days. 

I usually act like you, calm, and naturally cool. However, most of my friends were like this, and I just naturally hanged out with them.

• Brohoof 1

Trust me, there is no where you are going to go in life where all the people are mature. Being twenty two and working with the general public on a daily basis has taught me that no matter the ethnicity, race, age, or gender of a person is going to help determine how mature they are. I've seen people so old they are nothing but skin and bones and they are the rudest, most foul, and unkempt nasty people there are. Like wise I have met children half my age who show more restraint, understanding, and maturity than I could hope to have within my own self.

If the worse thing you have to deal with is someone saying shit, put on a smile, because at least you aren't having to clean theirs up!

• Brohoof 3

Trust me, there is no where you are going to go in life where all the people are mature. Being twenty two and working with the general public on a daily basis has taught me that no matter the ethnicity, race, age, or gender of a person is going to help determine how mature they are. I've seen people so old they are nothing but skin and bones and they are the rudest, most foul, and unkempt nasty people there are

Thank you! finally someone who appears to understand! it does not matter what generation, age, race, sex, species, or anything like that. Anyone can be a douche bag! A lot of people here seem far too happy to want to place the blame on a particular generation of people (and of course it is never that persons generation).

• Brohoof 1