Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Twilicorn represents everything previous generations didn't

Commander_PonyShep

Back in the previous three and a half generations, we could barely see the Hero's Journey used in any of them, save for possibly Meghan from G1, when she was brought by the original G1 ponies to help them defeat Tirek.  The reason was simply because those generations lacked conflict, and the characters then had nonexistent personalities, with the worst of them all being G3 and G3.5.  Remember how Wysteria became a princess by finding a flower, only to later go on as to turn her friends into princesses, just because she was lonely?  Well, that didn't qualify as a Hero's Journey, not only because it was just a pony finding a random flower, but also because the near entirety of G3 and G3.5 was so inane and frivolous, and lacking a lot of conflict.

G4's Friendship is Magic, on the other hand, fixed those problems, namely by actually using Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey to focus on the growth and development of one of the main-ponies, Twilight Sparkle.  Unlike Wysteria, Twilight didn't become an alicorn princess by finding some random magic flower, or whatever else means most befitting for G3 or G3.5.  She also wasn't born of royal status, even though she had a brother and a sister-in-law ruling over the Crystal Empire.  Rather, she earned her status, namely by learning about friendship and using those lessons to unite her friends as a single unit.  Sure, her last step was to switch her friends' cutie-marks, switch them back, and finish an unfinished spell that caused the cutie-mark switch-up in the first place, which I felt was an anti-climactic final step.  But who cares?  Twilight learned a lot about friendship, and she might as well apply those friendship lessons to running an entire nation, even if it means becoming an entirely different species of pony altogether to reflect her growth and development as a character.

Oh, and off-topic, I realized that Twilight's new status doesn't really deliver her to Mary Sue territory.  She still needs help from her friends, because they're still extensions of her magical power, and often times it's the followers who act as a leader's extension of his power, not just his strength, skills, or knowledge.  Also, contrary to one of those fanfics Ficta_Scriptor wrote, I highly doubt Twilight will be immortal; after all, when we saw Cadence foal-sit a filly Twilight, she was an adolescent, implying that she could still age normally like many other ponies.  If Cadence can still age normally, and could still marry Shining Armor as a result, then I don't see why Twilight can't grow, age, and die together with her friends, alicorn princess or not.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 1

Wait a second...,something positive about Twilicorn, from you?! Well, Jupiter just imploded.

Anyways, this type of character advancement is one of the many reasons to why I love Alicorn Twilight. The scene in MMC where her and Celestia are walking through that hall of memories is a great example of it. We have seen her come so far and I think it is wonderful. That is what I want to see. I want to watch the characters go on many different journeys, each having an end result and this was the end result of the overall journey for Twilight. I am very excited to see how they will handle something like this for any of the other characters, not just the mane 6.

I am also very excited to see more Twilicorn. See, positive attitudes are neato! :)

• Brohoof 1

I do agree.  Twilight Sparkle has indeed met her destiny and come to a pivotal point in her quest.  Such a grand accomplishment of ascending into royalty may lead one to believe that her journey is coming to a closure.  However, I think it is just the beginning of her ordeals (Much like Link when he obtains the Blade of Evil's Bane during his quests), as now is the time to demonstrate what she has learned and prove her prowess to keep her friends safe and uphold harmony within Equestria.  Who knows what Princess Celestia and Luna may have in store for her.  Much more challenging dilemmas to tackle, I would imagine.

I am quite excited as to what kind of challenges await her  and am rather happy that she has come so far in her journey.

• Brohoof 4

Wait a second...,something positive about Twilicorn, from you?! Well, Jupiter just imploded.

Anyways, this type of character advancement is one of the many reasons to why I love Alicorn Twilight. The scene in MMC where her and Celestia are walking through that hall of memories is a great example of it. We have seen her come so far and I think it is wonderful. That is what I want to see. I want to watch the characters go on many different journeys, each having an end result and this was the end result of the overall journey for Twilight. I am very excited to see how they will handle something like this for any of the other characters, not just the mane 6.

I am also very excited to see more Twilicorn. See, positive attitudes are neato! smile.png

That's not all:

1. Twilight will probably still age normally, like her sister-in-law, Princess Cadence.  That means she might eventually achieve her secondary dream of growing old and dying together with her friends.  Tara might've said that Twilight will still live a long time, but when she said that, she probably meant "until age eighty," which in our own human lifespans is pretty long despite it being normal, compared to our ancestors' original lifespans of around forty years.
  2. Lauren Faust originally meant for Twilight to become a princess.  She didn't mean for Twilight to become an entirely different species of pony altogether, but even if she didn't leave the show and move on to other projects, she would still turn Twilight into a princess, namely by means of teaching her about friendship and uniting her friends as one.
  3. There were two more main ponies with lifelong aspirations of their own, similar to Twilight's.  They included Rainbow Dash and her desire to become a Wonderbolt, and Rarity and her dream of one day moving to Canterlot to be amongst its elite.  Two of their respective episodes, Wonderbolt Academy and Sweet and Elite, brought those two characters a couple foal-steps closer to those dreams.  The other three, including Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Applejack, were probably happier with their original lives.  In other words, Twilight, Rainbow, and Rarity were more reformists, while Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie were more traditionalist.
  4. With the death of the "two of each species" symmetry, comes the brand new "three of each terrain" symmetry.  That means that even though Twilight and Rarity won't have each other anymore, the former now has Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy due to their wings, while the latter has Applejack and Pinkie Pie due to their lack of wings.

Really, I've been so obsessed with the negatives to Twilight's ascension, that I've never bothered to think about the positives that came from it all.

• Brohoof 1

Also, contrary to one of those fanfics Ficta_Scriptor wrote, I highly doubt Twilight will be immortal; after all, when we saw Cadence foal-sit a filly Twilight, she was an adolescent, implying that she could still age normally like many other ponies.  If Cadence can still age normally, and could still marry Shining Armor as a result, then I don't see why Twilight can't grow, age, and die together with her friends, alicorn princess or not.

LOL, way to name-drop me! tongue.png I personally think alicorn immortality is completely up to head-canon at this point since there's various theories. (eg 'Alicorns age to maturity and then stop' etc) But yeah, there's absolutely no evidence to say that Twilight or Cadence will outlive everyone, and I doubt they'd ever actually reference something like that in the show. (which I think is the best approach) Alicorn = immortality in my fanfics because that's been my head-canon since I started watching the show, and it's just the way I want my stories to go. *shrugs*

You do list some good reasons to think of this in a positive light, (how long until you start hating it again? laugh.png ) and there's always possible positives to making a change like this. I still think there are plenty of possible negatives, though, but to be fair, I don't hate Twilicorn anywhere near as much as I used to.

We will see where this change takes us in due time!

LOL, way to name-drop me! img-1288523-1-tongue.png I personally think alicorn immortality is completely up to head-canon at this point since there's various theories. (eg 'Alicorns age to maturity and then stop' etc) But yeah, there's absolutely no evidence to say that Twilight or Cadence will outlive everyone, and I doubt they'd ever actually reference something like that in the show. (which I think is the best approach) Alicorn = immortality in my fanfics because that's been my head-canon since I started watching the show, and it's just the way I want my stories to go. *shrugs*

You do list some good reasons to think of this in a positive light, (how long until you start hating it again? img-1288523-2-laugh.png ) and there's always possible positives to making a change like this. I still think there are plenty of possible negatives, though, but to be fair, I don't hate Twilicorn anywhere near as much as I used to.

We will see where this change takes us in due time!

As usual, here comes my problem with interpreting the meanings to what other people actually said, even if a two-year-old could understand it.

Did you believe the best approach was not to discuss alicorn immortality?  I believe that to, and would always want to even if I were to retire from the brony fandom.  My Little Pony is a show for little girls, and it would be almost taboo to discuss the concept of death and immortality on a show like this.  The writers couldn't even reference Applejack's parents and whether or not they were dead, so in the episode Apple Family Reunion, they had Applejack view two shooting stars, an ambiguous nod to her parents.

As usual, here comes my problem with interpreting the meanings to what other people actually said, even if a two-year-old could understand it.

Did you believe the best approach was not to discuss alicorn immortality?  I believe that to, and would always want to even if I were to retire from the brony fandom.  My Little Pony is a show for little girls, and it would be almost taboo to discuss the concept of death and immortality on a show like this.  The writers couldn't even reference Applejack's parents and whether or not they were dead, so in the episode Apple Family Reunion, they had Applejack view two shooting stars, an ambiguous nod to her parents.

Yeah, I was agreeing with that sentiment. I don't think that kind of stuff should be discussed at all within the show. Even if they confirmed that Twilight wasn't immortal, that would still be too much. I say leave it vague and let people come to their own conclusions.

It got me thinking, though, whether stuff like that would get referenced in the IDW comics. From what I've seen and heard, it delves into much darker subject matters.