Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Idea] "Kick" a post

~Scootaloo

36 users have voted

1. 1. How helpful would a "Kick" feature be?

• Very helpful :)
    • Helpful
    • Neutral
    • Unhelpful
    • Very unhelpful :(

The forum currently has the "Brohoof" option so we can recognize a good post. Why don't we have an option to "Kick" basically when you "Kick" a post it would mean you don't like it.

Features:

-After 6 or more kicks the post is hidden, but a message would appear (where the post was) "This post has gotten to many kicks. Display anyway?"

-After 15 or more kicks then the post will be automatically reported to a moderator

-After a user has gotten a single post "Kikced" 4 or more times they will get a private message advising to kind re-read the rules

-Kicks would not be publicly displayed like Brohoof's are

-Kicks would not impact the users Brohoof count

Issues (that may arise):

-Abuse (due to arguments)

-I don't know if the forums software is able to do this or not

Look:

76BJnGY.png

Edited by ~Scootaloo

I am not so sure that a post being automatically reported to a moderator after getting 15 kicks is a good idea as just because a post is unpopular does not always mean that it is inappropriate so that could potentially flood the mods with several reports that are really just a bunch of users who don't like a post maybe because they disagree with what the user has said. And since kicks can be interpreted as a screw you I am not sure it is a good idea to display them at least not to where the user whose post got "kicked" or anyone else can tell who kicked the post that could cause some flame wars.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 6

I think this has been brought up before, only it was called a "face-hoof".

Anyway, I don't really like the idea. If someone doesn't like what someone else has to say, they'll quote them and talk about it. If it's way over the top, I'd just report it. Personally, I feel like "Kicking" a post is just discouraging someone to post and talk, which seems pretty out of place for a community like this. smile.png

Edited by Link
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I am not so sure that a post being automatically reported to a moderator after getting 15 kicks is a good idea as just

That's why I would said 15 that way it would take a lot of people before it got reported. Maybe the number could buffed it up to 25 before it gets auto-reported.

And since kicks can be interpreted as a screw you I am not sure it is a good idea to display them at least not to where the user whose post got "kicked" or anyone else can tell who kicked the post that could cause some flame wars.

-Kicks would not be publicly displayed like Brohoof's are

That's why I said they would not be publicly displayed....

Edited by ~Scootaloo

No.

People will just kick things they don't agree with, just like people brohoof things they agree with.

Legitimate opinions will get kicked for no reason (because people aren't very accepting of differentiating opinions), and the user's post will be disregarded, even though it may have more material to add towards the discussion in the thread than, say, someone else who just says some kind of generic, two/three line post that basically just pushes for "Human Rights" and all those other things people so desperately feel the need to prove their stance on via collective mindsets on the matter.

While, yes, the people here are not all that stupid compared to the rest of the internet, and yes, the people here aren't too big of trolls (coughcoughdontlookatmecoughcough), it's still not going to be efficiently or as intended.

Two more problems:

1. What would happen if the OP gets kicked? Would the entire notion be nullified, or...?
  2. Only six to get hidden? Many threads get more attention because they may be stickied (or whatever you call it, here) or just a very popular topic, so it's possible for posts with tons of brohoofs and tons of positive feedback to get needlessly hidden, because a minority of people dislike the idea.

Now, the second one could be solved with a percentage gauge-like thing, but what would be the point of that if the kicks are not publicised? Unless, by not publicised, you mean not named. By not publicised, I was assuming you meant no one could even see the amount of kicks the post in question got.

Also, if it's true someone's already come up with this idea (which isn't even original or anything), like the previous posts have claimed, then no, this will not happen.

AND, stretching further out onto this idea... I'm sure the mods have thought of this, as well. I... would be... flabbergasted... if not...

• Brohoof 13

It's not really useful, and too easy to abuse. A lot of people would kick a post if they don't agree with it, and the auto-report feature is a waste of time when users will just report comments that actually do break the rules.

Too easy to abuse. That's what it comes down to, and that's why we do not have any sort of negative version of the brohoof feature. If a post is in any way not needed, we have 24/7 staff who can deal with any posts, topics or blogs that get reported. Reporting individual things so that the staff can tend to it is far less hectic and butt-hurt inducing than a public system of down-voting content.

• Brohoof 8

Also, if the kick button is used as a form of moderating tool, it's going to end badly, I've seen this before -7 fame meant being suspended on a forum. What happened, one wrong move and mass defames happened. 

Leave moderating up to a moderator, if a post is offensive or bad, report it, don't just leave it there.

• Brohoof 7

VERY bad idea. I've been on many sites and forums that uses or once used this method, and it's a double-edged sword that risks being easily abused, thereby causing even more drama. The Sonic Stadium Message Board and Equestria Daily (each places I've registered to) each once had something similar to this (the pos-rep/neg-rep system for the SSMB and the thumbs-up/thumbs-down feature for EQD), and it merely stirred trouble. In the SSMB, several people complained about the system, and one left because she got (justifiably) bombarded by neg-rep. In EQD, the thumbs-down button got easily abused by trolls. Therefore, the system was eliminated to a "like/thumbs up" only. Recently, the NYC Transit Forums (another site I post in) changed their system from the standard "like" system we have here to the pos-rep/neg-rep one, and the reception has been mixed.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

VERY bad idea. I've been on many sites and forums that uses or once used this method, and it's a double-edged sword that risks being easily abused, thereby causing even more drama. The Sonic Stadium Message Board and Equestria Daily (each places I've registered to) each once had something similar to this (the pos-rep/neg-rep system for the SSMB and the thumbs-up/thumbs-down feature for EQD), and it merely stirred trouble. In the SSMB, several people complained about the system, and one left because she got (justifiably) bombarded by neg-rep. In EQD, the thumbs-down button got easily abused by trolls. Therefore, the system was eliminated to a "like/thumbs up" only. Recently, the NYC Transit Forums (another site I post in) changed their system from the standard "like" system we have here to the pos-rep/neg-rep one, and the reception has been mixed.

I don't think that it is so much trolls who would be abusing it I think that a problem is people get their feelings hurt far too easily and then as a knee-jerk reaction hit the thumbs down or in this case "kick" button too fast before considering if it is the proper action.

Edited by Aureity
image a bit nsfw

Nah, I don't think a kick feature is necessary--moderating tool or not. I think the option to "vote up" a post but not vote it down helps makes this forum a very positive place, and it accurately reflects the kindness in this community.

We're pretty generous hoofers around here, so sometimes a post that gets zero brohoofs and no reaction, speaks for itself. tongue.png

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 2

The problem with this is that it takes one aspect of the feature ("Use the 'Kick' feature to show that you disagree") and mixes it with another, completely unrelated aspect ("Too many kicks leads to an auto-moderation").

Basically, it makes unpopular opinions against the rules. And that's terrible.

• Brohoof 2

So, what you are basically saying is you want kicks to be a report button that takes multiple reports from different users before the mods will actually know about it?

Why not just hit the report button so the mods can take care of it when they stop being lazy and actually decide to do something about it immediately? That's what it's there for.

• Brohoof 5

What you said about the fifteen kicks equals automatically reported to a mod would've been easier with reporting it,

Also if this feature was implemented, then several people here would become trolls and kick posts in several topics just for their amusement, and if the 15 Kicks = Reported thing happens, the mods could easily dismiss it, but if it happens a lot, then it takes it's toll on them.

So no.

Edited by Flow (Naru)
  • Brohoof 1

Implement this, and you will begin to realize that the report feature that's already installed is a much better way of notifying the right people about what you don't like, even if it's impromptu. Especially in an environment such as an internet forum where it's very easy to shoot down posts/comments which you don't happen to agree with in which you may end up seeking to antagonize the original poster in some shape or form. Tempers will flare very quickly. The system of "like/dislike" will become corrupted because of abuse. The admins will have to remove it because it was a failed experiment; AKA, a massive waste of time (and knowing his busy work schedule, the biggest waste of time for @@Key Gear to have to code -- let's not put our resident tech chicken through that!) in following retrospects.

This isn't Funnyjunk or Reddit, where an upvote/downvote system does exist to notify its users of what's decent to read and what you should stay from. But MLP Forums has never been like that and never will -- we're all intelligent enough to outline what we think about any one topic instead of clicking a button and then being on our way. Where's the fun in that?

In all honesty, responding to a post that you don't like with a calm attitude is the way to go. That facilitates discussion and encourages others to join in. That is much better than clicking a button and repressing your feelings about it afterwards.

• Brohoof 4

In my opinion, a forum is a place to discuss, or to debate, things. Therefore, having different idea is completely fine. As what have been said, it will cause "I don't agree, so I kick" thingy. Still, it's kinda funny to virtually kick people in the Internet. That's why I voted. :lol:

Also, why not just simply click the beautiful coloured report button? It's more fun since people can't find out who reported them. Feel like a ninja. Another reason, I think 'buck' is more ponified, even though it's a little more abusive. Just kidding. We have a report button after all.

post-10241-0-59968900-1355149338.jpg

By the way, where is that ticket menu? I can't find it anywhere.

My feelings on this matter are pretty much in line with everyone else's.

Even the brohoof system we have right now can lead to peer pressure. Yes, it's positive peer pressure, which can encourage users to make better posts, but peer pressure nonetheless. People do suck up to get brohoofs, albeit not often enough for it to be problematic.

Imagine the negative peer pressure that would result from a kick system. Folks would be scared to post anything which disagrees with the majority, especially if it would lead to the post being hidden, reported to a mod, or (god forbid) even suspended for it.

Nope. That is, in a nutshell, Youtube comment rating. Not very good for forums and even worse if you want to keep it somewhat cheerful and friendly.

You like something, brohoof it.

You agree with someone, but don't feel like participating in the discussion, then brohoof it.

If you disagree, quote and tell him/her you disagree and why, or ignore the post.

If you feel like any particualr post is offensive, racist, etc, then just report it.

And that's about it.

We really don't need this "How valid your opinion is" mill here.

Edited by Jessper
  • Brohoof 2

Nah. here's a reason list I came up with when someone asked on the other forum I'm on commonly (just copied it over):

Reasons:

• It would be used to troll.
  • It would be used to flame.
  • People would down vote other's people's posts for no apparent reason other than disliking the person/etc..
  • It would create a generally negative, hating feeling throughout the site/community.
Edited by ThePilotGuy

Basically, I am with the majority of people here when it comes to this option, it really would not be the best idea ever mostly because, and I am sure a lot of you have already said this but...

It actually does tend to start flame wars...

Even though the person who "kicked" the post would remain anonymous, I am pretty sue there would still be a bar indicating "brohoofs" vs "kicks" and that is just not good for posting morale...

Especially when someone tries to contribute to the community and a lot of trolls hit that button...

And then the flames ignite and we have a war over the trolls who kicked the post vs. Those who are legit...

And the post maker himself...

All-in-all

if we are to keep this a positive environment for discussion I would suggest we NOT implement this...

Well, I think we can consider this matter closed. As much as I do sometimes wish I had the ability to downvote things that I strongly disagree with, I don't think it would prove to be a very productive change.

That said, I appreciate the fact that you brought it up, @~Scootaloo. While not all suggestions are things that we feel will be a good fit for the forum and community here, suggestion threads like this are never a bad thing. :)

• Brohoof 1