Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony Culture

King

Hello My Friends!!!

Now whenever someone asks me what a Brony is, the short answer is a mature male fan of My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic....

But we all know there is ALOT more to it then that.

Brony culture is a unique one. While shows like Star Trek and lets say... Simpsons have good fan bases, they don't inspire large gatherings such as ours.

The Brony community is a very active community, filling the interwebs with plenty of fan made art music and stories, something not many fan bases can do.

We have our own silent motto's such as "Love and Tolerance" , and "Everypony Equal"

And we have many MANY events designed to bring in Bronies from all around the world.

In general we are a kind,caring bunch of people and many of us have our own special talent that we like to share with people.

Being a Brony means more then JUST liking the show in my humble opinion, it also means that your willing to take on an ethos, one of kindness and sharing in many cases.

In my time I've never met a truly hateful Brony, and thats because MLP:FiM teaches us to "Love and Tolerate"

I have only been a Brony since the middle of last year, but I feel accepted and true member of the community.

But what Im here for..are YOUR opinion on our culture?

How does music and art effect us?

How have we effected the internet in general?

How do people truly see us, trolling aside?

• Brohoof 20

Your take on the Brony culture is a really good one, Dawn! I agree that our fandom is quite different than some, especially in the way it seems to affect all of us.

What's my opinion on the culture? I'll admit, before I became a Brony (which incidentally is around the same time you became a Brony), I never really hated the fandom, I was just... confused? Lost? I dunno. I didn't really get what everypony was so hyped up about. I had only watched the first two episodes at that point, and I just didn't get it. After becoming a Brony, however my entire perspective changed. It's just an awesome show that teaches excellent lessons for all ages and, most importantly, the show brings people together like I've never seen in any other fandom. I think that's one of the most important things about the show; you can meet a Brony you don't even know and you just feel this camaraderie and friendship, even though that person is a total stranger.

The music and art is just simply beautiful. I find myself looking at some of the wonderful art the Brony artists have created for literally hours. The music is equally as impressive, with several awesome remixes and, even more wonderful, original songs. I can sometimes just sit there and listen to nothing but fan music instead of anything by a big band.

I'm not exactly sure how we've affected the Internet. I know that the Internet makes it so much easier to connect with other Bronies and people in general, which is always nice. In fact, without the Internet, I wouldn't of become a Brony at all. Heck, I wouldn't of even known the newest My Little Pony existed, let alone known about Bronies. I do know that the Internet can be quite harsh to our fandom at times, but that's to be expected; not everyone can get why we love the show and the fan works so much.

Which leads me to your last question: how others view us. I actually think it helps that someone knows you for a while before finding out you're a Brony; all of my friends, even the ones who made fun of Bronies beforehand, don't mind me being a Brony, and I can actually talk to them about the show from time to time. I think the main reason they're so tolerant is that they know I'm a good person and a good friend, and so they can get over me being a Brony.

I think that's just a problem a lot of people have; they just don't get it. I'm not even sure if my friends get it, but they're still my friends and they like to hang out with me, so I guess perhaps they've either seen that Bronies are just fine, or maybe they all secretly hate me and they're just seething under their skin.

Hard to tell.

Good topic, though. I'm sure lots of interesting discussion will be had!

• Brohoof 2

Which leads me to your last question: how others view us. I actually think it helps that someone knows you for a while before finding out you're a Brony; all of my friends, even the ones who made fun of Bronies beforehand, don't mind me being a Brony, and I can actually talk to them about the show from time to time. I think the main reason they're so tolerant is that they know I'm a good person and a good friend, and so they can get over me being a Brony.

This is true. But some people who don't truly KNOW a Brony automatically assume some of us are immature or perverts, and this isn't always the individuals faults. These days people are bought up being taught that certain things are purely for guys and others for girls...so when someone challenges a belief that has been burned into their skull, they take it out on them. Everything from Gay to what people wear...

Bronies challenge stereotypes and thus causes some people to become confused, leading to some of the trolls out there. Dont get me wrong though, some people are truly just haters because they like to hate.

In my opinion, this is one of the best explanations of a Brony from an outsider I've seen... Cheers to this guy....

• Brohoof 1

Nice to see one of those topics happen again, I agree with you in many points...

I know quite a few people who tell for themselves to have changed to the best since they joined the community, experienced what you (quite fitting) called the philosophy of love and tolerance...

I have myself, I believe. Sure what we bronys built is hardly to be found elsewhere, not in our generation, and I love it and am quite impresed everytime I recognize this as a whole.

Nice to know others out there think the same way ;D

I had seen that video in my recommended on Youtube, but I never clicked on it.

I wish I had sooner. That video was really good and said a lot that I couldn't have said myself. Thank you so much for sharing that with me, Dawn!

And you're right, some people are just haters in general, but I tend to deal with them the old fashioned way: ignoring them and carrying on with my life. They're just not worth the time. And time is money. And money is good.

So yeah, thanks for sharing man.

• Brohoof 1

I um.. have to keep my bronyism a secret because well where I live if I told someone I watch the show,they will make you the most hated person ever. 

Like I am hated because people in the 'NHL hockey fandom' teased me for loving the Buffalo Sabres

Screw what the others say thinking we are insane,not normal,wierd! Just be yourself!

Well I am um... kind of a fluttershy in real life

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

One of the things that I always tell people who aren't out of the proverbial Barn yet (About being a Brony)

Is that we should all be proud of being Bronies...

We're ,in general, a kind,caring bunch of ponies who fell in love with a magnificent show that teaches ideals that would be good for the whole world to take to heart.

We run charities, make beautiful art like no other, we make music that just makes you wanna dance :D

and we write stories that can make you laugh,cry and anything inbetween.

We are welcomed by Hasbro and the development crew of MLP:FiM

And those who truly know about Bronies, usually love us, even if they aren't a Brony themselves...

I can't see myself ever leaving the community (It's a community now more then a fan base)

So just picture me an old man wearing a Rainbow Dash T-Shirt, I'll be sure to share a picture of my 80 years old self xD

(Im 17 now btw, so thats like 63 years of Bronydom to look forward too xD)

Edited by Dawn Rider
  • Brohoof 1

One of the things that I always tell people who aren't out of the proverbial Barn yet (About being a Brony)

Is that we should all be proud of being Bronies...

We're ,in general, a kind,caring bunch of ponies who fell in love with a magnificent show that teaches ideals that would be good for the whole world to take to heart.

We run charities, make beautiful art like no other, we make music that just makes you wanna dance biggrin.png

and we write stories that can make you laugh,cry and anything inbetween.

We are welcomed by Hasbro and the development crew of MLP:FiM

And those who truly know about Bronies, usually love us, even if they aren't a Brony themselves...

I can't see myself ever leaving the community (It's a community now more then a fan base)

So just picture me an old man wearing a Rainbow Dash T-Shirt, I'll be sure to share a picture of my 80 years old self xD

(Im 17 now btw, so thats like 63 years of Bronydom to look forward too xD)

True dat!

They must realize that bronies are also helping the environment with charities and stuff.

Well im in my final year in junior high (grade 9) and its tough being around others who can really humiliate you alot in public.

Eeek! I still feel that humiliation 

True dat!

They must realize that bronies are also helping the environment with charities and stuff.

Well im in my final year in junior high (grade 9) and its tough being around others who can really humiliate you alot in public.

Eeek! I still feel that humiliation 

Yeah I went through highschool with similar people.

People who just want to look for anything different about you just so they can tear you apart..

I used to worry about it, but now I just dont care, the way it should be :)

the only person whose opinion should mean anything to you, is your own :D

How has music and art effected us?

When I first joined the fandom there wasn't really anything out for the fandom, we had just taken our babysteps. Music and art were scarce and mostly out there just to annoy other people. Later on I have seen many great things coming from art and music. What back then was just a show became so much more through fanfictions, music, art and animation. Art gives old characters new life, it makes us see characters as a completely new person. It suprises us in many different ways. It makes us smile, makes us sad, makes us think. Music does the same with us. Not only that. The whole activity of creating art and music makes our fandom like no other, not only have we created massive amounts of it, it brings us closer to eachother. It lets us meet new people who share the same interests. Art and music are one of the foundations of what our fandom is today.

How have we effected the internet?

Well, aside from annoying and introducing people to the show, we haven't done anything that made a real change on the internet. If anything, we will or already have acquired the same love-hate relationship as the furry fandom. Oh, and the social media did give our fandom so much more screentime for some reason, probably to make fun us. Sensationalism is a wonderful thing isn't it.

How do other people see us?

Probably as pedophiles, manchildren, weirdos, outcasts, nerds and gay. Unless you're talking about people who don't think with their hormones and endorphins, they see us as just normal people with a deviating interest. I couldn't care less though what people think about me, if anything I pity the ones who let their thoughts and actions be controlled by mirror neurons, endorphins, hormones and indoctrination and I wouldn't want them find out about the show and its amazing fandom anyway.

So in all, the brony culture is just as diverse as earth's culture because we're all so different. However, we're able to have fun and hang out just because of one interest, My Little Pony. No matter who you are.

• Brohoof 3

I joined when things were going quite well... and to this day Bronies can put out amazing music which I love ^_^

One song I love alot is this:

Even Rolling Stone magazine stated that the Brony fandom can put out Triple A music...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/behind-the-music-of-pop-culture-smash-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-20120420

Just read that...

I have been a brony since season 1. Before it I was very judgmental about people's interests. However this fandom has completely change my perspective and taught me how low it is to call somebody from their interests. The fandom also made me alot less insecure about myself because I play allot of world of warcraft and watch anime. When I said it back then it felt more like a guilty pleasure but now it just feels normal. This fandom has also made me REALLY want to go to buck 2013 (but nobody to go with! D:) so I can meet other great people in the fandom which no other interest I have has made me want to do that.

Also the community has certainly pumped out some phenomenal fan art and some Triple A music over the past 3 years which most of the community love. (well at least I do! :P)

I'm 16 atm so only 2 of my best friends and my girlfriend know about me being a brony and they don't really care. So I hope I'll be part of the fandom for a very long time smile.png

Edited by Toastie
  • Brohoof 1

I think the main thing is to diversify our tastes, so people can't paint us into just one corner. For example, I'm a brony (obviously), but I also enjoy playing football and baseball, as well as watching the Detroit Lions and Tigers. That way, one aspect of my fandom doesn't overpower the others.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest I don't really follow any "culture", I like FiM, I like fan art and I like fan videos, but I don't possess any Brony-specific ethos and I haven't changed any of my "core values" simply because of FiM. There hasn't been anything to change, really. I don't love and tolerate everything either.

I think the main thing is to diversify our tastes, so people can't paint us into just one corner. For example, I'm a brony (obviously), but I also enjoy playing football and baseball, as well as watching the Detroit Lions and Tigers. That way, one aspect of my fandom doesn't overpower the others.

First, I want to quote you because you are a fan of Detroit sports. I am more of a Red Wings and Tigers fan myself and I don't really care for the Lions, but still, this warrants a brohoof. *brohoof*

Second, I completely agree with you about having other interests. While at this point ponies dominate most of my interests, I still watch other movies and TV shows and hang out with people not to talk about ponies. I work a full-time job where I don't get to talk about ponies much except when someone comments on the blind bags that I have in my cubical, and even that is minimal. So another. *double brohoof*

• Brohoof 1

First, I want to quote you because you are a fan of Detroit sports. I am more of a Red Wings and Tigers fan myself and I don't really care for the Lions, but still, this warrants a brohoof. *brohoof*

Second, I completely agree with you about having other interests. While at this point ponies dominate most of my interests, I still watch other movies and TV shows and hang out with people not to talk about ponies. I work a full-time job where I don't get to talk about ponies much except when someone comments on the blind bags that I have in my cubical, and even that is minimal. So another. *double brohoof*

I follow the Red Wings as well, but when living in Florida, as I do, following hockey is a lot harder than usual. Fortunately, the Wings will be making the jump into the same conference and division as the Panthers, so that should change. But I digress.

Having limited interests is fine, provided that they don't become obsessions to the point of adversely affecting one's life.

• Brohoof 1

I can't believe people still actually believe that 'Love and Tolerance' is serious.

1° This is not the fandom motto

2° It's a 4chan joke no one uses anymore because you all turned it into the 'brony code'

3° The show has never been about love and tolerance, at all

4° Tolerance =/= acceptance

To answer your questions:

>How does music and art effect us?

I believe most music in this fandom is generic trash, so it's not a big influence. My influence are fics, which I write to improve my English.

>How have we effected the internet in general?

This fandom has a heavy and notable load of content by now. R34, images, etc. I'm rather impressed, honestly.

>How do people truly see us, trolling aside?

Casual and the average Joe might see us as freaks or homosexual. You know, the common stuff. Don't think everyone has open arms for whatever you like.

Edited by DeiStar

Actually, Love and Tolerance have transcended just being a joke...

True it WAS originally just to annoy the haters, but nowadays we have adopted it as a sorta ethos/motto... not ALL of us, but quite a few...

And the show does teach Equality,love and tolerance...

For example, Twilights love for her friends and her mentor, and for her tolerance towards ponies like Trixie (No offence to Trixie cause I like her)

• Brohoof 1

A brony is a pretty simple thing to me, simply a fan of the show over the target demographic.

The brony community has become something glorious though.

The brony community not only has to be the nicest community I've ever experienced(sure we ain't perfect) but proably one of the nicest overall on the Internet.

Not only has the brony community helped many people with small problems, and been very nice overall, but heck the brony community and the show have saved lives. I know there's several stories of people finding the community and the show, and that's something.

Not only is the community wonderfully welcoming and nice, but also extremely talented. There's tons of talented animators, artists, singers,voice actors, musicians, and more. The amount of raw talent is breathtaking.

And not to mention the brony community is reshaping the gender stereotypes,heck throwing them away. Showing the world stereotypes don't matter and even uniting people.

The brony community is simply awesome. That's the only way I can explain it.

Yall are a great caring community!

On a side note I've got 3000 posts now. Brony ;)

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 2

The brony community is simply awesome. That's the only way I can explain it.

Yall are a great caring community!

I 100% agree.  The brony community has definitely taken love and tolerance to heart, and this is proven by the various charities the fandom has set up.

Also, the creativity this fandom displays is incredible.  I often find myself listening to various brony musicians and wondering how these people aren't signed and touring.  For example, I can't express how badly I want Vinyl Scratch to dj at a club near me. She/ he is seriously one of my favorite EDM artists, if not my favorite.  Every song is perfect, and I would pay good money to go to one of his/ her shows.  Sorry for the fan boy rant, but you get my point, the artists (music etc...) are talented as f**k!  

There is something special about this community that I can't quite explain, and I'm glad I can say I'm apart of it biggrin.png .  I didn't know anything about the fandom until last summer, and honestly, when I found out that a lot of people my age and older watched this generation of MLP, it intrigued me and made me want to give it a chance.  I know not everyone would feel the same, and many would think bronies are a little off for liking a show meant for little girls.  I'd like to think this would change once people learn what the community is really about though.

• Brohoof 3

Honestly, the brony fandom family is the most friendly, most accepting, most kind, and most trustworthy bunch of people that I've encountered in my life.

Not only do we all accept each other's differences within the fandom, but without--hence Love And Tolerate. To be honest, that is to me the single most impressive part of the Brony movement to me: we hold ourselves to a universal moral standard. What other 'fandom' does that?

Don't get me started on the ridiculous amount of creativity, too. If you subscribe to every musical brony artist you like on Youtube, as I have, you're going to be flooded with new songs and eventually not be able to keep up with them...! >.<

Have some pictures to explain how I feel ;3

IMG_0726.PNG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

Here's a screenshot of someone summarizing the results of a psychological study:

IMG_2552.PNG

TL;DR the brony family is the best community on Earth

• Brohoof 3

There is another part of being a Brony I love... Thats the way the community loves each other :D

Always there to lend a hoof and assist in any way we can.

Its nice to see us band together to help others with issues they may have and im proud of that fact :)

Alot of bronies become close with each other, treating each other like a second family :)

Sorta like im starting to do with some of you :3

• Brohoof 4

I am a terrible brony. I watch the show and stuff, but I am not into the love and tolerate thing. I just flipped an old lady off the other day for swerving into my lane. I don't even really get along with 99% of you guys. Another thing, Fluttershy is like the most popular pony, and I can't STAND her. 

Shortly after I started watching MLP:FiM on my own, I was chatting with one of the most motivated, dedicated-to-being-awesome friends I've ever known, (he is _totally_ Rainbow Dash in human form,) and he was the one who first told me that there was a culture that had grown-up around the show.

My heart just lept!  I mean... I was like, "OMG!  A culture that's grown-up around a wonderful show that's focus is the magic of friendship?!  That's awesome!" :D

Before I came to the Brony culture, I was (and am) very drawn to the ideals of the good within anthro/Furry/therian culture.  After I mentioned that I was a Brony on my FA account, some of the dearest, sweetest, kindest friends I've had in that culture were like, "Really, you're a Brony too?!"

So right from the start, my experience has been that Brony Culture nurtures and draws to it some of the most respectful and respect-able, gentle, kind, caring, talented, motivated, dedicated, people who really do see the value in friendship -- both in having good friends and being a good friend to others.

I've felt inspired by and welcomed by the new Bronies I've met, more so than with any other group I've been a part of.

...And something that really gives me hope is that the parts of the Brony community I've seen, have done an amazing job of self-policing to make sure that the core elements of the show that inspired this wonderful community/culture, are preserved.

In part I think this is vital so that we strive to remain in the good graces of those who have provided us with the seeds that have blossomed in our hearts and imaginations into something far greater than what those companies, (Hasbro, StudioB,) had ever imagined.  (They will respect us if we behave in a manner worthy of respect -- and if they respect us, they will continue to generate that which stokes the fires at core of the culture.)

...But I also feel this is vital for ourselves as well, (having watched some of the evolution of furry culture).

If we remain dedicated to maintaining that which we are a part of, as something worthy of respect, that respect rubs-off-on our vision of ourselves great and small.

Our habits are what we eventually become.  And from what I've seen of the Brony community, if it is able to remain true to that which is at its core, I think that it is a huge force for good within ourselves in the now, and probably for the larger world in the future.

• Brohoof 5

I think the culture of the bronies is, as a community we are able to produce music,art, and stories that are based off the show. And, the way that on the internet, we are judged by other people but in reality, we have a lot of people in the fandom. Stereotypes, if you will.