Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony Culture

King

Shortly after I started watching MLP:FiM on my own, I was chatting with one of the most motivated, dedicated-to-being-awesome friends I've ever known, (he is _totally_ Rainbow Dash in human form,) and he was the one who first told me that there was a culture that had grown-up around the show.

My heart just lept!  I mean... I was like, "OMG!  A culture that's grown-up around a wonderful show that's focus is the magic of friendship?!  That's awesome!" biggrin.png

Before I came to the Brony culture, I was (and am) very drawn to the ideals of the good within anthro/Furry/therian culture.  After I mentioned that I was a Brony on my FA account, some of the dearest, sweetest, kindest friends I've had in that culture were like, "Really, you're a Brony too?!"

So right from the start, my experience has been that Brony Culture nurtures and draws to it some of the most respectful and respect-able, gentle, kind, caring, talented, motivated, dedicated, people who really do see the value in friendship -- both in having good friends and being a good friend to others.

I've felt inspired by and welcomed by the new Bronies I've met, more so than with any other group I've been a part of.

...And something that really gives me hope is that the parts of the Brony community I've seen, have done an amazing job of self-policing to make sure that the core elements of the show that inspired this wonderful community/culture, are preserved.

In part I think this is vital so that we strive to remain in the good graces of those who have provided us with the seeds that have blossomed in our hearts and imaginations into something far greater than what those companies, (Hasbro, StudioB,) had ever imagined.  (They will respect us if we behave in a manner worthy of respect -- and if they respect us, they will continue to generate that which stokes the fires at core of the culture.)

...But I also feel this is vital for ourselves as well, (having watched some of the evolution of furry culture).

If we remain dedicated to maintaining that which we are a part of, as something worthy of respect, that respect rubs-off-on our vision of ourselves great and small.

Our habits are what we eventually become.  And from what I've seen of the Brony community, if it is able to remain true to that which is at its core, I think that it is a huge force for good within ourselves in the now, and probably for the larger world in the future.

^^^^^

This all the way.

Very well said Dreamsong ^_^

I love our community for the way we come together under a great show and the ideals of Love,tolerance,friendship and of course ALL of the elements of Harmony...

Im proud of being a Brony, and will be one forever ^_^

• Brohoof 2

How does music and art effect us?

To be brief, I find the art interesting (not r34, though. I haven't seen any and never want to) and a good selection of the music enjoyable.

How have we effected the internet in general?

Well, aside from indirectly leading to the creation of Facebook (and other website) groups and subreddits dedicated to hating us, I'd like to think we've made a positive impact on society, including the internet. This is the internet, however, so I don't think there's much of a change made in people there. Except, of course, for bringing a few people to the fandom and creating a new trend. Oh yeah, there's also a lot of MLP websites out there for Bronies, too (what's this website I'm on again?).

How do people truly see us, trolling aside?

Trolling aside, I have no idea. I know that there are those who see us as manchildren, pedophiles, animal rapists, or people with serious mental problems (or a combination of the above). All over a TV show...

I don't know how society sees us as a whole. My vision may or may not be skewed based on where I am (my parents are convinced people will think I fit all of those descriptions if I'm open about liking My Little Pony), so I can't really say what we're thought of as a whole.

Then again, where I come from almost no one is a Brony (save for me and a few people I can count on my hands). Compare that to the number of Whovians we have, and there's no contest. I bring Whovians up because it shows that, despite having a surplus of people considered "nerds", very few of them have open minds. 99.99% of all the people I talked to about the show were convinced I had a serious mental issue, even those who I'd know for several years (including my best friend). And man, that day in Honors English class...no. I'm not going to bring that up. It's a story for another time.

Here's what I do know: I've seen several good and bad news links discussing us (clearly a few of the negative came from FOX news, which my parents unfortunately use as their regular news source), so some like us and others don't. Where the scale tips, I believe, is open to interpretation.

But we all know there is ALOT more to it then that. Brony culture is a unique one. While shows like Star Trek and lets say... Simpsons have good fan bases, they don't inspire large gatherings such as ours.

I don't want to dampen things too much, but have you ever seen a Star Trek convention?  My wife and I were just watching "Trek Nation", a documentary by Gene Roddenberry's son, Eugene, on his father's legacy.  And that's when I learned that the very first Star Trek convention happened in 1972, just three years after the original series had been cancelled.  Star Trek by and large defines the term "fandom", more than any other single movie, TV show, comic book or other form of entertainment in modern times.

I haven't yet been to a MLP convention, but I was amazed to hear that such things existed, and so soon after the current series began airing.  I know it's not the first thing since Star Trek to get its own, dedicated conventions, but it's still a pretty amazing feat IMO.  It speaks to how great a show MLP:FiM is that it can get the same kind of following as something like Star Trek, especially given how its target audience is little children. :)

When I finally cracked and decided to embrace being a brony, I felt extremely comforted knowing there was a whole community online that I could connect with.  For a little while, it was all I wanted to do, was just immerse myself in this group of fine people. :)

On to answering some of your questions:

How do people truly see us, trolling aside?

Obviously, I can't speak for people I don't know, but having grown up in the Furry Fandom and seeing how "mundanes" see those people, I've seen a lot of the same patterns both within and outside of Brony Fandom.  Basically:

You have the dedicated bronies, casual bronies and lurkers - all people who have in some way become a part of the fandom and connected through the show.  For the most part, I've found these people to be very supportive and nurturing, though as in any fandom, you have various subcultures.  I was a little dismayed (but not terribly surprised) to see drama around Fighting is Magic, Derpygate, and Twilicorn, and the whole "Love and Tolerance" thing seemed to be giving bronies a bit of a bad rap.  But for the most part, the core of the fandom is what attracted me to it - the people who feel they have connected with the show and been able to take something from it.

Then you have mainstream folks who tolerate our presence but just don't get it.  Like any show that's attracted a following, you're going to have people who just see MLP:FiM as "another kid's show", and they look at us like we're some sort of infantilist group who've decided to live like kids.  And while that's true to an extent, it's not that we necessarily want to be little kids - it's that we've found something targeted at little kids that also legitimately appeals to adults.  For me personally, I like things that help me connect with the little kid inside of me, and the show has done that.  But you can't get everyone to see it that way.

I feel fortunate to have friends in both categories, where the latter category agree to disagree and just let me enjoy what I will, without judgment.  That's all I really want. :)

• Brohoof 2

Thats true I suppose, but I believe Bronies have made more of a stamp on the internet...whether people love us or hate us, alot of regular internet users have heard of Bronies.

Plus we're unique in our fandom for the massive amount of work we put out in the space of a week. More then most communities easily.

Plus most of it is fantastic ^^

• Brohoof 2

Being a brony can be very humiliating if you are hated but we bronies always stand up for each other!

Fluttershy uses attract pokemon move' 'non-brony me comes' 'gets hit with it' FLUTTER IS BEST PONY <3

When we talk to other bronies on the forums everypony realizes you are not alone, we got the MLPeeps with ya!

• 2 weeks later...

Being a brony can be very humiliating if you are hated but we bronies always stand up for each other!

Fluttershy uses attract pokemon move' 'non-brony me comes' 'gets hit with it' FLUTTER IS BEST PONY <3

When we talk to other bronies on the forums everypony realizes you are not alone, we got the MLPeeps with ya!

I dont see it as humiliating...some people just dont wanna treat us the way they should be treating us...with respect, like you should be doing with anypony.

Thats why it's just better to ignore these ignorant people and take comfort in your fellow Bronies ^_^

I am a terrible brony. I watch the show and stuff, but I am not into the love and tolerate thing. I just flipped an old lady off the other day for swerving into my lane. I don't even really get along with 99% of you guys. Another thing, Fluttershy is like the most popular pony, and I can't STAND her. 

That doesn't make you a terrible Brony, that just makes an individual. Just as there are many Bronies who try to live up moral standards that have been set up by the show or in the community, there will be Bronies who just simply enjoy the show and the fan works and don't change the way they act or feel in real life. 

It just means you're a different person, which is cool. Nothing wrong with that.

• Brohoof 2

I am a terrible brony. I watch the show and stuff, but I am not into the love and tolerate thing. I just flipped an old lady off the other day for swerving into my lane. I don't even really get along with 99% of you guys. Another thing, Fluttershy is like the most popular pony, and I can't STAND her. 

Hey, I yell at people and flip them off when they do stupid things too.  And I'm not as big a fan of Rainbow Dash as many others, and don't really get why she's so popular, so I'm in the same boat as you are with Fluttershy.  No big deal. :)

You're fine.  Nobody says you have to be just like all the other bronies to be a brony.  You are you, and you're a brony only because you choose to be. :)

(And from what I've seen, "Love and Tolerate" was a 4chan running joke about the fandom that the fandom decided to run with, though it was never meant to be taken seriously.)

• Brohoof 1

In many ways the brony fandom is a lot like any other fandom it has its share of problems such as having a hand full of crazies and the occasional controversy, has its own sort of lingo and often makes memes and references and has rule 34. But in many ways it is also very different due to fact that while it is by no means perfect it is far more civil than most fandoms I personally have been in, and the fact that there is a massive social stigma to being one causing many bronies to go out of their way to hide it.

And there is a certain segment of the brony community that I have yet to see in any other fandom seems to put this fandom on some kind of pedestal. They expect it to this perfect utopia where everyone is nice to each other all the time and there are no problems ever and get upset whenever someone dosen't fit their unrealistic expectations of what a brony supposedly should be and just focus on the negative. And I have never ever seen a fandom where the segment of it that enjoys the rule 34 side of it is scapegoated quite like how cloppers are and I find it childish, immature and incredibly annoying.

Overall while bronies are no means perfect and we should remember that I think that the brony culture has had a far more positive influence than negative by inspiring a level of creativity that very few fandoms can rival, reminding people that life is not all doom and gloom, going against the trend of entertainment going down the toilet, and bringing up a much needed debate about all the numerous double standards revolving around gender rolls in society.

Hey, I yell at people and flip them off when they do stupid things too.  And I'm not as big a fan of Rainbow Dash as many others, and don't really get why she's so popular, so I'm in the same boat as you are with Fluttershy.  No big deal. smile.png

You're fine.  Nobody says you have to be just like all the other bronies to be a brony.  You are you, and you're a brony only because you choose to be. smile.png

(And from what I've seen, "Love and Tolerate" was a 4chan running joke about the fandom that the fandom decided to run with, though it was never meant to be taken seriously.)

I like Rainbow Dash because:

A: Her scratchy voice

B: She is extreme

C: She looks the coolest

D: I relate to her. 

As far as mane 6, it goes:

Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, Apple Jack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy.

(edited)

(I'm kinda new to the brony community, so correct me if I am wrong in any way or if you disagree.)

The brony community is somewhere where those that enjoy friendship (loyalty, honesty, ect.) can kick back, talk, and enjoy knowing that there are others like themselves. The brony community is, most likely, the most organized fan group in the world right now. It has poetry, stories, art, and, the one thing you can't forget, cool people. And because of this, I think the trolls and haters know our organization and see us as a threat. So, being the jerks they are, they need to break it up and ruin it all.

Summary: Bronies = Awesome people

MLP = Pure Art

Trolls and Haters = Cruel bastards that don't know what enjoyment is.

Edited by The Brony Code
  • Brohoof 1

The bronys I mostly know in person are hipster bronys who take there mac books to Starbucks and what have you. The bronys I know online come in many different forms,artists,nerds, gamers,musicians...

So I would say being a brony is more then just having an interest for the show, but it's actually a way that people can express there true creativity. That's my big plus for bronys, there contribution to the art world. Even my really artsy fartsy friends who make a cool $600 a painting (Is that good in the art world? I will know someday, as I want to study art in the future) benefit from the inspiration that bronys give off.

The one thing that stands out to me about our culture - above the unbeatable creativity - is that our community really has soul. You can just tell the connection that everyone has with each other. What makes our fandom a community is that we care. Not only about each other within the fandom, but causes outside of the fandom, too. Just look at all the charities the fandom creates and contributes to.

Now that's a family, right there. :)

• Brohoof 1