Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you lost your faith in the show crew?

MK15

168 users have voted

1. 1. Have you lost your faith in the show crew?

• Yes
    • No

No, not yet. I like Alicorn Twilight. Yet it might still turn out to be a mistake. Only when Season IV is finished will I be able to make a final judgment on Twilicorn.

And yes, I would prefer a show that doesn't pander to any one particular group of fans. It interferes with the creative process. And it's not so much that they gave Derpy a speaking role as the fact that they did that in an episode which should have focused on Applejack, who gets precious little regard from the writers, thus overshadowing one of the Mane 6 with that which ultimately started as an animation error/joke that took on a life of its own thanks to the brony community. (I really need to stop mixing clauses in my sentences so much derpy_emoticon1.png )

Why would it have? I personally loved MMC Cure and really didn't see what all the fuss was about. So many seem to have focused on only the flaws of the episode to the point of extreme nitpicking. Many if not most of the points made saying the episode is "the worst thing ever" are pretty flawed. I really need to do a video review of that episode. 

The only person mentioned in your post I have lost faith in is Chad Rocco. Having seen his rants on twitter before the episode was even released It'll be hard for him to ever come off as reasonable to me when regarding the show again. Even if you hate MMC to rage so hard against a writer for one "bad" episode is ridiculous. The fact that he was also seemingly rigidly against the whole Luna dream walking thing was weird as well. Stating the sole reason for Luna's decent to darkness was loneliness and that talking to ponies in their dreams just would negate her back-story. Of course when you actually think about this and watch the first episode it should become readily apparent that this wouldn't be the case(I've gone over why before but if you wish to see it again just ask). I also remember him saying that Twilight turning into an alicorn would be like Kratos randomly turning into a god at the end of God of War, which actually pretty much happened. I also remember him stating the show wasn't about the characters anymore, so it would seem he either hasn't been watching the show, or he has some how traveled forward in time to ascertain the quality of future episodes. Reguardless if you liked season three's episodes or not I think it would be hard to defend the notion that they were not about the characters

I'm not really seeing her growth in season 3, I went through all the episodes and came up with this:

The Crystal Empire – Says friends can't help becuase Celestia says so, Spike only comes along at his own insistence (and Twilight would have failed without Spike).  Allegedly learns self-sacrifice.

Too Many Pinkie Pies – Fair enough, Twlight doesn’t freak out, closes entrance to Mirror Lake with a rock and calls the problem solved.

One Bad Apple – N/A

Magic Duel – After initially losing, her solution is to try to improve her spell-casting but doesn't seem to succeed, defeats Trixie in rematch by following Zecora’s advice.

Sleepless in Ponyville – N/A

Wonderbolts Academy – N/A

Apple Family Reunion – N/A

Spike at your Service – Spots a Timberwolf, run aways, leaves friends behind.

Keep Calm and Flutter on – Doesn’t believe Fluttershy can reform Discord, wants her to go back on her promise to not use her element.

Just for Sidekicks – N/A

Games Ponies Play – I guess N/A?  Can’t really think of anything important here.

Magical Mystery Cure – Her spell makes her friends miserable, gives up and goes home, only does something about it when Spike gives her motivation.

I'm uncertain as to how closely you watched the episodes but when pertaining to twilight this is what I saw in season 3. 

Crystal Empire: The entire subplot of Twilight dealing with uncertainty and fear. She had this constant fear that she would fail everyone and that Celestia would reject her. Its a fear that caused her breakdown in Lesson Zero, and sent her spiraling into depression in A Canterlot Wedding. She over came that fear or managed to suppress it and decided to sacrifice one of the most important things in her life, being Celestia's number one student. 

Magical Duel: She learns that magic isn't her only source of power, that cunning can be just as powerful a tool, and friends even without the elements of harmony can overcome great obstacles. 

Games ponies play: Whilst I didn't really like the episode overall it did have an important element for Twilight. Cadence taught her to cope with her stress and in that episode she did. Though this doesn't mean we wont see Twilight freak out again as panic and stress are notoriously persistent even with coping mechanisms. 

Magical Mystery Cure: Star Swirl's spell that was cast by Twilight switches the destinies and corresponding cuties marks of the other five elements of harmony. Twilight going through all logical magical solutions sees no way of returning her friends to normal and falls into a depression at the prospect of at losing her friends and being the unwitting cause of the situation. After a boost of moral from spike she has an epiphany. The essence of who they were was switched but they were still friends and still cared for each other. By presenting the prospect of helping a friend she could get them doing what they were meant to do then put the correct element on them reestablishing the proper connection. A connection she discovered with the help of her friends in the second episode, helped her friends remember in the Return of Harmony, and completely fixed in MMC with a new expanded understanding. After fixing the effects of the spell and her mistake she has yet another epiphany on how to fix the spell that caused the problem in the first place. A spell even one of the greatest magic users couldn't finish. Really this was the culmination of a character arch that started in the first episode. 

• Brohoof 1

I have not nor will not lose faith in the crew, they work hard to bring us wonderful story telling and animation, anyway they are human same as us, you can not expect perfection, and not everyone will be easily pleased. Say what you want about season three, I really enjoyed it, so much that I joined the herd, now that is power, and they were authorized to make only thirteen episodes, no one expected My Little Pony to garner so much hype and popularity, especially from young to adult male fans. As a result, they had to cram a lot into season three, and with that work load on the crew they did a stellar job, furthermore, if you give season three a chance you will find more to love than loathe, there are good episodes and new characters with fans, and connected the fans as well as the last two seasons, nevertheless, I eagerly await for season four and no matter if some fans are high maintenance, I will give it a chance and watch it before I critique it. 

• Brohoof 1

No I have not. If anything, I think my faith in their ability might have been strengthened.

Don't get me wrong, Season 3 was, IMHO, the weakest season of FiM, specifically in terms of pacing and character. I have my own theories on why this was (most of it relating to the shorter season and the infamous 65 episode rule), but the thing that I think saves this season, is the fact that it introduces something that we've barely seen in the FiM universe; a much heavier emphasis on cross-season continuity.

Now, we have in fact seen this in the show before (although minimally). More specifically when Cadence and Shining Armor show up both in Season 2 and 3, or when several previous episodes were referenced in Magic Duel. But what I think redeems Season 3, is the fact that it introduced several storylines that appear to play major roles in Season 4.

(Note: Spoilers ahead)

From what has been released in the animatics, we already know that Season 4 will have a major sub-plot relating to the Equestria Games that seems to span more than one episode. In itself, this is already a cross-season arc, but it goes even further as to mention Mrs Harshwinny, as well as capitalize on Scootaloo's "disability" (something that's been hinted at throughout every season).

Besides the fact that tackling such an issue in FiM seems quite gutsy of them, the relationship between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash was introduced heavily in S3. Assuming they're sticking to this trend of story arcs in S4, this means Rainbow Dash could have a significant role in this episode, which also means that this episode has the potential of combining both those episode arcs (without it having to be a season finale.)

Going further with this, if S3 was indeed designed to set up many of the things that happen in S4, then the reformation of Discord was no coincidence. It seems all signs are pointing to him having a major role in the next season (perhaps in order to defeat the next big bad?).

If you start to consider the idea that S3 was a setup for S4, it unlocks a lot of potential for the future of the show. And with S4 being a total of 26 episodes, I have high hopes that many of the issues of S3 won't carry into the next season.

To be honest, my only major worry is if the crew isn't willing to go far enough. But as long as they're able to raise the stakes enough to match that of Twilight's ascension, I have no doubts in their abilities to provide another epic season of pony.

Edited by TheGr3ml1n

• 4 weeks later...

After Season 3, yes.

My friends and I all hated Sombra as he was such a letdown for a villain in a season opener, so the premiere itself felt like it suffered.

The pacing of Magical Mystery Cure was horribly rushed and out of place, with the decision for the writers to go the 'musical route' just felt lazy, and didn't substitute as actual explanations of everything that happened, specifically the inconsistencies with the swapped Cutie Mark logic.

That's kind of important and it being expanded upon more would have had greater emotional impact.

I personally feel that the letdown of the premiere and the finale and a large chunk of episodes in between, means I shouldn't get my hopes up for the Season 4 premiere, let alone the rest of said Season.

In fact, I'm actually quite nervous that it will be rushed, ignore important details, or gloss over them with more musical numbers.

I'll still wait and see, but I'm skeptical.

No, or, at least, not yet. I disliked the finale very much, but I do have high hopes for season 4. In my eyes season 3 was all filler, so the episodes weren't up to par, but now we're getting a full season, so hopefully the episodes will be as good as season 2.

• Brohoof 1

After Season 3, yes.

My friends and I all hated Sombra as he was such a letdown for a villain in a season opener, so the premiere itself felt like it suffered.

The pacing of Magical Mystery Cure was horribly rushed and out of place, with the decision for the writers to go the 'musical route' just felt lazy, and didn't substitute as actual explanations of everything that happened, specifically the inconsistencies with the swapped Cutie Mark logic.

That's kind of important and it being expanded upon more would have had greater emotional impact.

I personally feel that the letdown of the premiere and the finale and a large chunk of episodes in between, means I shouldn't get my hopes up for the Season 4 premiere, let alone the rest of said Season.

In fact, I'm actually quite nervous that it will be rushed, ignore important details, or gloss over them with more musical numbers.

I'll still wait and see, but I'm skeptical.

Tell me why you hate Sombra? Why was he a letdown?

Is it because he din't speak or do anything? Remember Sauron and Darth Maul, they barely spoke or did anything yet they have a big fanbase

Tell me why you hate Sombra? Why was he a letdown?

Is it because he din't speak or do anything? Remember Sauron and Darth Maul, they barely spoke or did anything yet they have a big fanbase

Hate may be a strong word, but he was a letdown.

He tried to break down the barriers Cadence set up-which he eventually did-but, aside from taking back the empire and having slaves it didn't feel like he had much of a motive.

What did he need the slaves for?

They have enough crystals and we've been shown that he could rapidly grow his own twisted, black ones at will.

And in Celestia's explanation, they are clearly working on something, but what?

If he was a looming, season long threat in the background (like the moon in Majora's Mask) and waited either mid-way or to the end of the season the feeling of dread would have had more time to build up as LoTR had three films doing just that.

Hate may be a strong word, but he was a letdown.

He tried to break down the barriers Cadence set up-which he eventually did-but, aside from taking back the empire and having slaves it didn't feel like he had much of a motive.

What did he need the slaves for?

They have enough crystals and we've been shown that he could rapidly grow his own twisted, black ones at will.

And in Celestia's explanation, they are clearly working on something, but what?

If he was a looming, season long threat in the background (like the moon in Majora's Mask) and waited either mid-way or to the end of the season the feeling of dread would have had more time to build up as LoTR had three films doing just that.

Its not his fault, he just wasn't a villain that could be done in two episodes. It was enough for the other villains because they are more watered down and simple than he is.

He just needed more build up and minions. Sadly the writers just gave up on him rather than making him a recurring villain

Seeing as how the Season 3 Finale is a 3-parter, I think it would be best to wait until the other two parts come out before we call that episode less than what it should have been.  I think that the writers are doing fine, and yeah their are a few episode I'm not a huge fan of.  But thats just me, not the writer's fault, some episode are directed with a different message to it.  And maybe I'm not to keen on the message, that doesn't mean they are loosing my faith.  I'm extremely pleased with how MLP is going, the fact that it is getting another season is great.  Also the episode seem to stay as amazing as ever, and sometimes get even better.  So, no I'm not loosing faith in the show writers or crew for that matter.

wub.png

Well, recentely Chad Rocco from Nostalgia Critics said that after all the wonderful episodes M.A. Larson made, now he hates him because the season 3 finale.

Well no wonder it's baseless.

Seriously, Chad Rocco(Or ANYONE affiliated with Doug Walker for that matter) shouldn't be calling themselves "critics".

Personally, no. I still have high hopes for the crew, looking back on Season 3. I loved it, and I hope S4 will be even better(Which it will, by the way).

Nah i have not lost faith at all, in fact i'm looking forward to seeing the other characters develop further.

And im looking forward to all the new songs, I'm sure Daniel Ingram will surprise us.. I loved apple to the core

most of all i'm looking for more heartwarming scenes.. there was a lot last season.

I personally don't quite understand all the hate going on right now, but then again it's pretty similar to any other fandom I suppose. Something changes, and the end is nigh. I think season 3 was awesome and from what I've seen or heard about the fourth I couldn't be more excited. I love the idea of Twilicorn and EQG did nothing but bolster my hopes. I mean honestly I went into that movie thinking it was going to be just terrible but I actually liked it waaaay more than I thought possible.

A couple of things felt rushed but maybe it is simply the season size being cut in half that made it all feel so crammed. Alot of development went on imho. Anyways... ya. No faith lost here heh

I personaly cant wait for season 4. I've only been a brony for a little over a week now, but I have seen every episode. I actually like that twilight became an alicorn, because it gives the writers more to work with. :)    I wonder what they plan on doing with her in the next season.

• Brohoof 1

Why would I? I've pretty much liked every episode, with neutral views on one or two of them. I haven't disliked anything done with the show recently. They have delivered very well thus far. My faith is still strong that they'll keep this show going steady, or even getting better, with all the new opportunities provided by Alicorn Twilight.

I feel no entitlement to my little pony as a fan of the show. sure we want the show to be in our standards of good but I respect far greater the creative freedom of the writers and producers. this is their art and if we don't like how it turned out, tough luck but it doesn't mean its "bad" because it wasn't how we envisioned it.