Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What belongs in threads and Statuses

Prince Lightning Da Cute

Some of the veterans of the forums are saying that Most of the Blank Flanks that have been coming in have been getting confused about what goes into a thread like a story or fanfic and what goes in your status like Good night. I'm trying to point out before you post it make sure its meant for what you're putting it on.

I mean....

It should come naturally, i mean i read the rules (most of) and just started posting, you were there and i don't think i even introduced myself and i didn't do anything like this with all the posting i did. and its not just one Blank Flank, its some but not all either. this is probably the Number #1 rule in all forums but make sure what you are about to post is meant for what you're posting it to.

(i became an Advanced member within a day or 2 and i'm probably the reason why Feld0 changed the post counter, lol.)

Ironically this thread would be better fitted for the Everfree Forest since it isn't really related to Ponies at all! :P

But I see what you mean.

I think it should be common sense to think the less threads the better.

and most importantly...

USE THE SEARCH BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Brohoof 3

<p><p>Hmm,they should have some rules on this subject, however not too strict to the point where people make there welcome thread in a status <strike>(which some really short ones should be :P )</strike></p></p>

edit: ohai there html, didn't see ya there!

Edited by Flare

<p><p>Hmm,they should have some rules on this subject, however not too strict to the point where people make there welcome thread in a status <strike>(which some really short ones should be :P )</strike></p></p>

yea there a certain point you can't cross so i believe you're right. but its just like, hmmmmm i think i'm going to bed *make thread about going to bed* it seems kind of riduclulous sometimes

yea there a certain point you can't cross so i believe you're right. but its just like, hmmmmm i think i'm going to bed *make thread about going to bed* it seems kind of riduclulous sometimes

yes, maybe there should be like a mega thread, where everyone talks about going to bed!

wait....nevermind, bad idea :P

hate to say it, but

Fun Fact: In the past week I've had longer and better discussions over status updates than I have in actual Threads!

THIS!

Edited by Flare

This is a very good point. Try to think ahead, if your thread has no real meaning, put it as a status. Consider the topic. Is it something others will say "cool story bro" to, or is it something they might actually reply to? The former goes under statuses, the latter falls under a thread.

Otherwise, it becomes this:

Posted Image

This is a very good point. Try to think ahead, if your thread has no real meaning, put it as a status. Consider the topic. Is it something others will say "cool story bro" to, or is it something they might actually reply to? The former goes under statuses, the latter falls under a thread.

Otherwise, it becomes this:

Posted Image

Eww I don't want my threads becoming an awkwardly costumed man named Mark

• Brohoof 5

Status; think of them of facebook stauses or a tweet ~

Threads; discussions, art, not what you did today.

Note: pretty sure the post counter was gone before you came here .

• Brohoof 3

yes, maybe there should be like a mega thread, where everyone talks about going to bed!

wait....nevermind, bad idea :P

hate to say it, but

THIS!

Actually when Vanilla Ice updated her status, that basically was this thread until i finally made this. so it happens now and again

Spot on!
  • Brohoof 1

This pretty much.

Also make sure there isn't already a Thread you should be posting your topic in. For example there is a YouTube thread for ALL YouTube videos, unless it is your own then you may post it in Octavia's Hall.

Also A bit ago I remember seeing a LOT of "Desktop" threads for each individual work! I feel that if you feel you are going to be making a lot of the same style of art work, make a thread for all of them instead of each individual work! :P

I mean I have a few short stories that I have yet to share, but I'll just make a thread for my whole collection!

• Brohoof 1

About that (I don't know if this is the right place to ask), how do I increase the post counter? Its stuck at five dots.

You neeed to make 40 posts before it goes to 10 pips. Then at 9001, Pac-Man appears. /stupidity

Since post count is turned off in there, I don't think posts in Cloudsdale Coluseum count towards the 40 you would need. But, you're no longer a Blank Flank, so yeah :P

Source: Here

Edited by Kapi

This pretty much.

Also make sure there isn't already a Thread you should be posting your topic in. For example there is a YouTube thread for ALL YouTube videos, unless it is your own then you may post it in Octavia's Hall.

Also A bit ago I remember seeing a LOT of "Desktop" threads for each individual work! I feel that if you feel you are going to be making a lot of the same style of art work, make a thread for all of them instead of each individual work! :P

I mean I have a few short stories that I have yet to share, but I'll just make a thread for my whole collection!

Very true as well

*his :3

These Bronies with their Fillies are misleading, idk maybe its just me and i'm probably going to call he a she in the moring becuase of that Avatar but thats off topic.

Yea! try to avoid going off topic alot once or twice its fine but if you do it almost every post you might wanna switch to mesages.

Is that without the "welcoming plaza" and "Cloudsdale colluseum"?

Eeyup.

(keep in mind that posts in Welcoming Plaza and Cloudsdale Colosseum don't count!).Source: MLP Forums

I was wondering how to post art. Personally, I'd just like to post all my art in one thread, but I got really confused about whether or not this was the "right" way and saw no rule allowing people to double post in their own threads if nobody pays attention to it. So I thought: "If nobody posted... I can't update my art thread. So I have to post a new thread." Or something like that. I'm still really confused about how to go about this. So I'd like some clarification.

Related to the main topic: I just think what Shank said is pretty spot-on. A thread is for more general things, whilst a status is for more personal things. Unless you have a really big personal thing to post that you need advice from a large variety of people about.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 1

I was wondering how to post art. Personally, I'd just like to post all my art in one thread, but I got really confused about whether or not this was the "right" way and saw no rule allowing people to double post in their own threads if nobody pays attention to it. So I thought: "If nobody posted... I can't update my art thread. So I have to post a new thread." Or something like that. I'm still really confused about how to go about this. So I'd like some clarification. Related to the main topic: I just think what Shank said is pretty spot-on. A thread is for more general things, whilst a status is for more personal things. Unless you have a really big personal thing to post that you need advice from a large variety of people about.

Well I liked the way you handled your "Pony Collection" Thread but I see what you mean by your whole art collection being buried!

There are a few threads that have been posted that do not encourage any sort of discussion and in some cases do not warrant a reply longer than "lolwut" or "haha".

These threads are very annoying.

Please report such threads when you see them. We're usually more than happy to remove them to help de-clutter the forums. With 80-100 new topics per day, we moderators cannot keep track of each and every single one of them ourselves.

This pretty much.

I was wondering how to post art. Personally, I'd just like to post all my art in one thread, but I got really confused about whether or not this was the "right" way and saw no rule allowing people to double post in their own threads if nobody pays attention to it. So I thought: "If nobody posted... I can't update my art thread. So I have to post a new thread." Or something like that. I'm still really confused about how to go about this. So I'd like some clarification.

Related to the main topic: I just think what Shank said is pretty spot-on. A thread is for more general things, whilst a status is for more personal things. Unless you have a really big personal thing to post that you need advice from a large variety of people about.

The best way to post creative works in Octavia's Hall is to create individual threads for every work. That section is meant to be a place to discuss your work and get feedback on it, and it's difficult to discuss a single piece when it is accompanied by 20 others in the same thread.

If you'd like to archive your collection of art, please use the gallery. A best practice is to upload all your art to the gallery, then create threads in Octavia's Hall for new drawings and link to them using the "My Media" button in the editor.

• Brohoof 1

The best way to post creative works in Octavia's Hall is to create individual threads for every work. That section is meant to be a place to discuss your work and get feedback on it, and it's difficult to discuss a single piece when it is accompanied by 20 others in the same thread.

If you'd like to archive your collection of art, please use the gallery. A best practice is to upload all your art to the gallery, then create threads in Octavia's Hall for new drawings and link to them using the "My Media" button in the editor.

say your Internet dies and you draw heaps of pony art while its dead, and when it comes back, you wish to put it on mlpforums, would it be okay to make like 5 consecutive threads for each individual artwork?

edit: 1000th active post :)

Edited by Flare

say your Internet dies and you draw heaps of pony art while its dead, and when it comes back, you wish to put it on mlpforums, would it be okay to make like 5 consecutive threads for each individual artwork?

maybe make a general art thread for yourself :lol: