Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Why is DBZ so hated?

thatoneguy

Looking through this thread, I still see people complaining about Dragon Ball Z's pacing.

Just curious, you guys do know about Dragon Ball Z Kai, right? How it vastly improved the show's pacig by removing most of the filler and drawn-out scenes, right?

I've seen the entire series all the way through, both regular Dragon ball Z and Kai. To be completely honest, I like the original series better than Kai.

I seriously think I'm one of the only people who actually likes the filler >.>

• Brohoof 1

I've seen the entire series all the way through, both regular Dragon ball Z and Kai. To be completely honest, I like the original series better than Kai.

I seriously think I'm one of the only people who actually likes the filler >.>

I like some of the filler. The episode where Goku and Piccolo try to get their driver's license will always be a favorite of mine.

I just can't stand filler like Fake Namek. Ugh, that one was practically painful to watch.

• Brohoof 2

I like some of the filler. The episode where Goku and Piccolo try to get their driver's license will always be a favorite of mine.

I just can't stand filler like Fake Namek. Ugh, that one was practically painful to watch.

I didn't hate fake Namek as much as a lot of people did, though I didn't particularly enjoy it. The filler I hated personally was the Garlic Jr saga.

Even still, I enjoyed the majority of the filler.

Also, was I the only one who actually liked adult Gohan? I hear a lot of fans complain about him, but I thought he was really cool. Mystic Gohan was my favorite character in the Buu saga :3

• Brohoof 2

Flamed for mentioning DBZ? What is this the Twilight Zone? As had been pointed out DBZ has its flaws some of which were addressed in Kai but there are plenty of other animes with those same flaws the most notable of which is Naruto so it dosen't make a lot of sense to single out DBZ. Though DBZ does hold a special place in my heart for being one of the first animes I ever got into and I of course am still a fan I do prefer the original Dragon Ball.

For some reason, a lot of anime fans seem to have a strong dislike towards anything Shounen, especially if it's long and popular. DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece all get similar treatment among the more "hardcore" anime fans in that they all tend to get ignored and shunned by said hardcore anime fans.

I didn't hate fake Namek as much as a lot of people did, though I didn't particularly enjoy it. The filler I hated personally was the Garlic Jr saga.

Even still, I enjoyed the majority of the filler.

Also, was I the only one who actually liked adult Gohan? I hear a lot of fans complain about him, but I thought he was really cool. Mystic Gohan was my favorite character in the Buu saga :3

I like Adult Gohan, too. I just hate how Toriyama changed his mind during the Buu saga by making Goku the hero instead of Gohan. To me, DBZ was mainly about Gohan's rise as a warrior and him taking his father's place, and the last half of the Buu saga just made all of that seem pointless. :(

• Brohoof 3

See this is why I love this show. 

&

The show is freaking hilarious and has a good balance of that and action. For me I really enjoyed as a child and still do to this day and for me it is more along the lines of a nostalgia thing. Everytime I see an old episode of DBZ or Dragonball it brings back good memories.  I completely understand if others do not like the show for whatever reason but for me all that matters is what I like. And DBZ too me is like a part of my childhood a great part at that :D. Goku one of the funniest/memorable characters of all time ;).

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

I know I personally can't stand a lot of the fans.

I love (hate) how ready DBZ fans are to jump in and proclaim dominance of their anime VS every other anime and non-anime in existence. Meanwhile, here I am snickering at how they take pride in the fact their anime is the most pathetically overpowered thing in the history of media. Yes, animes are often various levels of OP so, more power to them (literally). It's simply the overzealous fans feel so unneeded. I'm like, 'why do you sit here and arrogantly tell people how more powerful Goku is than character X? We all know how OP Goku is :3 If anything it's not something to be proud of, let alone something you need to fight for.'

(edited)

WHAT. I see nothing but praise for it everywhere I turn. I personally hate it and think it's overrated. The fans are annoying as well...but it's not hated. It's mostly the fact that I dislike the animation style...a lot.

Edited by WheatleyCore

Everywhere I go, it's nothing but DBZ-bashing. People always keep screaming about it had no real plot, character development, etc., and it never lets up. Why is Dragon Ball Z getting so much hate from the internet?

That's because it had no plot or character development. It isn't hated though. People look back on it and think "remember when fights that lasted four episodes without advancing the plot was exactly what we wanted? Ah good times". DBZ was bad but that doesn't stop it being loved. I haven't come across that much hate for DBZ at all. Dragon Ball GT is another matter

Whats the point of hating dbz it's something you can just ignore it's a show after all. The fans however I understand, but its the same thing with naruto, one piece, bleach and, all popular anime/manga.   

That's because it had no plot or character development. It isn't hated though. People look back on it and think "remember when fights that lasted four episodes without advancing the plot was exactly what we wanted? Ah good times". DBZ was bad but that doesn't stop it being loved. I haven't come across that much hate for DBZ at all. Dragon Ball GT is another matter

Tbh, it's hard to judge DBZ, much like most shonen, by the anime, especially when there's too much filler to go through(which is notable in cases like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and, etc.). Read the manga, or even Kai, those are the best way to experience the DBZ without the whole "Drag-On Ball Z" Filler

And to say there's no character development is a pretty bold claim. I reckon that you haven't watched/read the original Dragonball to see how long the original characters(Goku, Bulma, Krillin, etc.) come by, or paid attention to Gohan, Piccolo or Vegeta as the series progressed. Hell

Android 18(I have to give GT some credit, 18's development was one of the best parts of it), Majin Buu and even Hercule got their own moments of glory

I will agree though, the fanbase sucks balls, but that's a whole other story

Seeing this thread reminds me, I miss Bardock(the user)

I had no idea that DBZ was hated. As far as lack of character development goes one of the problems with the show is that cartoon network had them edit the show to focus on action and so they some times would put several episodes into one episode just so they could get to the action. If your going to watch the show watch it the whole way through, start at Dragon Ball and end with the GT Movie and then you will see all the character development that happens.

There's quite a bit of a misconception here. DBZ is not hated, at least not until GT or after the Cell Saga. Certain aspects of the show that were often later poorly executed or abused are what people dislike. This includes but isn't limited to lots of garbage filler,super pointlessly prolonged dialogues and fights, predictable roid raging, poor and inconsistent plot development, horrible voice acting and dialogue etc. Quite honestly the list can go on for awhile, and DBZ wouldn't be the 1st guilty show nor the last of all these crimes. Bleach, Naruto, Tenchi Muyo and Rurouni Kenshin have all been guilty. I've heard the fans and I've watched these shows so I know.

Still DBZ and Dragon Ball heck even GT are well liked and loved series. Kid Tony is almost always irresistibly adorable and fun to watch whether it's fighting alongside kid Krillin and taking on the Red Ribbon Army and King Piccolo or fighting corrupted dragons.

Nearly every major saga I w watched in DBZ was worth it. Seeing Vegeta and Napa beat down on the Z fighters and grind it out with Tony. watching Frieda behave like a total maniacal alien warlord asshole to everyone. And of course watching the genocidal Androids and Cell massacre and terrorize Earth and have Goku step in one last time to save the day for everything he loves dear. People remember this stuff, even if there's lots of bad things.

DBZ was inspired by a great novel Journey to the West and it in turn admirably lived up to that legacy that it carried.

I know I personally can't stand a lot of the fans.

I love (hate) how ready DBZ fans are to jump in and proclaim dominance of their anime VS every other anime and non-anime in existence. Meanwhile, here I am snickering at how they take pride in the fact their anime is the most pathetically overpowered thing in the history of media. Yes, animes are often various levels of OP so, more power to them (literally). It's simply the overzealous fans feel so unneeded. I'm like, 'why do you sit here and arrogantly tell people how more powerful Goku is than character X? We all know how OP Goku is :3 If anything it's not something to be proud of, let alone something you need to fight for.'

I know what you're talking about, and let me just say that not all of the fans are like that. I couldn't care less about power levels or about "OMGZ GOKU = STRONGEST CHARACTER EVARZ!!!!".I do understand your frustration, though. It gets annoying when that's all you hear.

Anyway, being overpowered isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO. That's part of DBZ's charm. 

Seeing this thread reminds me, I miss Bardock(the user)

Hi!  ;)

I still go on this site almost daily, I just don't really post that often. Laziness gets to me a lot.

I'm surprised to see this thread bumped, too. I didn't think this site cared about DBZ enough to post about it.

• Brohoof 1

I've really never known the show to be hated.  Everywhere I go it's accepted pretty well.  It's not the talk of the town or anything, but it's not hated.  A lot of people I know refer to the classic-ly overused "It's over nine-thousand!" joke, or if your cool cat like me it's eight-thousand ;)

It's not a hugely talked about show, like SAO was/is, but it's nothing like the bashing I see on shows like Naruto.  I kind of grew up with DBZ though.  I remember watching Toonami and catching the episode every week.

Ah well, I suppose everything gets hated on somewhere on the internet.  It's like a wasteland of haters on the web.  You'll always find someone who hates something.  Can't win 'em all.

Anyway, I digress.  I've not really noticed any bashing of the show myself.  Sorry you happen to run into the 'dark side' of the interwebz lol  The only thing you can do in that situation, or what I do anyway, is laugh.

Just by a glance, I can often identify what animation supervisor worked on a particular episode.

I deleted the Dragon Ball wiki from my bookmarks when I could no longer find info on it I didn't already have memorized.

I own several, relatively expensive, Dragon Ball toys.

I can go into meticulous detail over the convoluted subject of the various English dubs.

In all that, I would never claim Dragon Ball is an example of quality writing.  It was written in a 'make-it-up-as-you-go' method and it shows, big time.

Aaaanyway, people have opinions.  People love their opinions.  And there are a lot of anime elitists out there, and they really love their opinions, especially when it gives them the ability to condescend to as many people as possible.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Because you can't choose what you like and the era of DBZ and similar shows had kind of faded away?

Also: 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- 

Will Goku finally finish charging/talking? Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball: Z!

*next episode*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

^how people who aren't fans of it happen to see it. Maybe its over-dramaticized a little, but fights did take a long time to finish... The story overall was great but there were sure also a lot of people claiming to be the most powerful being evar or others note them to be. It's not for everyone and I felt Kai killed any chance of it coming back

I think it's because the internet is a bubbling cesspool of hate lol?  The internet hates EVERYTHING.  It doesn't matter what it is / was or how many people loved it.  And nowadays the internet is all about "deep" analysis.  People are so busy nitpicking, singling out and attacking EACH and EVERY little detail that they've forgotten how to just enjoy things.  So don't listen to those people lol.  If YOU like something, go about your day.  Let people that choose to complain go on complaining; its their own time they're wasting.

I don't hate it (I hate Bleach) but I definitely don't like it. Here's a list of reasons:

1. Death has no consequence, just bring em back with your dragon balls! Why get emotionally involved in a story when you could just take all of the tension away with dragon balls.

2. As I recall, Gohan vs Cell was a two hour and forty minute fight. THAT'S ALMOST THREE HOURS OF WATCHING THE SAME SHIT! It is humanly impossible to be emotionally involved in a fight that long! It doesn't matter how well it's set up, the emotional connection to the fight dies out after the first thirty minutes at the most.

3. By the end of season two, they got so over powered that I lost all ability to give a shit. There comes a point when a character becomes so powerful that all ability to connect with them or create drama becomes lost. DBZ crossed that line ten times over.

4. Goku is a cliched and uninteresting character. There is no aspect of his personality that isn't a cliche found in other protagonists. This is especially frustrating because other characters on the show aren't cliche and actually are far more fleshed out. Krillin should be the main character! He's actually relatable and interesting.

I'm also getting a little tired of all these DBZ topics showing up on this forum. In the last week, it almost seems like this is DBZforums. Why? I'm a huge can of Yu Yu Hakusho (Greatest anime ever, by the way) but you don't see me and other YYH fans starting up endless seas of thread topics comparing it to MLP. And YYH is actually themed around friendship, so that would even be more justified!