Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Emergency Survival Thread

simba86

Use this thread to talk about survival , food, shelter, water, hunting, anything to do with survival. I started this thread to talk about survival because I realized that there are a ton of young bronies on here and it is very important to have the knowledge to be able to care for yourself when disaster strikes, because fresh water might not always come out of the tap and the stor might not always have fresh food. Knowing how to survive can save not only your own life but your family and friends also.

I honesty don't know what I'd do. Pretty much every emergency is different, so it's kinda hard to prepare for all of them.

However, I don't exactly have jugs of water lying around in case of an emergency. I'm not the best survivor in the world.

I kinda watch a lot of videos about survival kits, and how to use what's in them(which alot of it is household stuff) because it entertains me, so i know some. 

I also always have a knife, multi-tool, and flashlight on me. 

• Brohoof 1

I have a guitar. You can use it to whack people, play for money, use the strings for stuff, take it apart and make firewood, and use the various bits and bobs inside of it to make things. Take any random object and think of a way to make it useful for survival wink.png

• Brohoof 1

I have a small survival box about  72 hours worth of food mostly ramen btw for one person. A bb gun a knife a few flash lights cigarettes a knife some medical equipment and a 2 liter of coke. as well as rubbing alcohol. All that stuff I call a basic survival box atm but I plan on getting more prepping supplies later.

I have 2 or 3 kits, I have a kit in my car that includes folding shovel,knife,extra car parts, blanket, ect/

and a home kit that has tomahawks,knifes,fire starter,water storage,first aid,geiger counters ,gas mask,cookware ,survival books,ect.

img-1309522-1-Bear-Grylls-Guide-to-fine-

Perhaps we should let Bear Grylls do all the things regarding survival. I mean it's more entertaining and safe to just let him do all the surviving? tongue.png

i like bear, he seems to be a cool dude, he can choke down pretty much anything and i have a feeling that he is the kind of guy that could out last pretty much anypony here in a real life or death situation 

I actually have like no real survival equipment lieing around me really. I mean we have survival equipment in our house, but I don't really keep one near me. The most I have is a flashlight near my bed in case of a blackout :P.

I have various survival tools in a survival pack and a stash of MRE's and other survival foods and water.

I also have a US Armed Forces Survival Manual I read a large portion of a couple times, as well as a digital copy of the Zombie Survival Guide, but I don't know if that necessarily counts for something.

I also have a gas mask! It's a Czech M10 gas mask that I got for 15 USD off of Amazon. It's filters are a pain to get in, the ones in mine are probably useless at this point, and I really can't see a use for it, other than how awesome it is! I wear it every time I play Metro 2033.

But, yeah, I am somewhat prepared for various survival situations.

Edited by Андрей

It's good to have a first aid kit and Swiss army knife if those count. Besides that, I don't have anything survival related. It wouldn't be a bad idea to be prepared though and could come in handy if there were a big earthquake or some other natural disaster. 

Les Stroud >>> Bear Grylls. Bear has a camera crew following him around, he sleeps in hotels on the nights he isn't demonstrating how to sleep in a shelter (and probably some of those, too), and eats normal food off screen. Yeah, he probably KNOWS how to do all this stuff, but he doesn't actually do it.

Les brings heavy-duty camera equipment with him and films it all himself.

Les Stroud >>> Bear Grylls. Bear has a camera crew following him around, he sleeps in hotels on the nights he isn't demonstrating how to sleep in a shelter (and probably some of those, too), and eats normal food off screen. Yeah, he probably KNOWS how to do all this stuff, but he doesn't actually do it.

Les brings heavy-duty camera equipment with him and films it all himself.

bear might do all those things but is is also british special forces, and he has never burned his shelter down like I saw les do that one time.

bear might do all those things but is is also british special forces, and he has never burned his shelter down like I saw les do that one time.

How do we know he hasn't, but they just refilmed it so he wouldn't look bad? :P

And I'm not saying that Bear isn't a badass (I mean, his name is Bear for God's sake), just that Les has a better survival show.

How do we know he hasn't, but they just refilmed it so he wouldn't look bad? tongue.png

And I'm not saying that Bear isn't a badass (I mean, his name is Bear for God's sake), just that Les has a better survival show.

I think survival wise they are pretty close, but bear can climb stuff like crazy, he is a spider on those mountains! he is the kind of guy that likes to get out there in the woods and go crazy! he will probably die out there one of these days, like the poor crocodile hunter did with the stingray spine through the heart.

"MAYDAY" comes from the French word 'm'aider' which means "Come help me". It is the most serious emergency declaration that can be made on Ocean-going or Airspace radio signals, barring overriding signals by military forces.

The procedure for a mayday call because of an air or sea emergency is thus:

"MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY; (Name of station addressed); callsign and vehicle type (sailboat, motorboat, single-propeller airplane, four-engine jet airplane, etc.); Nature of emergency; Weather; Pilot's intentions and/or requests; Present position and heading, or if lost then last known position and heading and time when aircraft was at that position; Altitude or Flight level; Fuel remaining in minutes; Number of souls on board; Any other useful information."

Example:

"Mayday, mayday, mayday,
This is United States vessel Lady Diane calling all stations.
Mayday, mayday, mayday,
This is captain John Smith of vessel Lady Diane taking on water with three adult males aboard. No Injuries at this time.
Location is North 168.12.25; West 78.62.12 [GPS reference]; about 24 miles southeast of Cape Maintown lighthouse [landmark reference].
Mayday, mayday, mayday."

If you are on the radio, there are some techical distinctions between some phrases you've probably heard before on TV or movies:

Roger: "I understand"

Wilco: "I understand and I will comply." (Saying Roger and Wilco together is redundant.)

Over: "End of message, awaiting response."

Out: "End of exchange; no further responses are required, nor expected." (This is the radio equivalent to "talk to the hand 'cause the face don't want to hear it." if you interrupt someone with this.)

Say Again: "Please say your last message another time, some of it was lost in transmission or misheard." (Do not say "Repeat" because that is a reserved term for Ground Artillery, essentially meaning "shoot them again, same as before.")

The emergency radio frequency for most civilian agencies is 121.5 kHz.

I would fail rather badly in a survival situation...

The best I could do is see the warning on TV and then make a makeshift emergency survival kit... :P

I am also pretty weak... So my survival would depend on my parents.

The key is to understand what you are most likely to face.

California is earthquake country. The roads will be bad so you're not likely to go anywhere. Food and water for two weeks is easy to stash and forget. If your home collapses, you may not get to it...life sucks that way.

The east and southern coasts of the US face severe storms. We STILL haven't got electricity out to Sandy survivors.

The survival key there is: have family living away from the coasts. Driving a mere 30-40 miles gets you away from the disaster zone and into normal life.

---People who can't get away spent the bitter cold winter in govt tents with only occasional food delivery.

The big lesson from Sandy is govt will not take care of you. Have a place/family to go and stay with.

I'm in Iowa. Snow and tornadoes are what I must deal with. I have no independent heating, so if a snowstorm knocks out power for a few days I must seek shelter at a nearby mall. Its close enough to walk to even with heavy snow. Snow is the only danger that will linger for days. A tornado is over quickly, and you can start rebuilding right away.

The basic lesson is this. When services are cut: you are on your own. Sure govt will want to help, but if they can't get to you, you need to be able to either

1) Survive in place until they can.

2) be able to travel (on foot) to get help.

Food water shelter (and in winter, warmth) are the basics. Tossing aside a few cans of food (stuff you can eat cold) really isn't that expensive. If you live on your own like me, you are responsible to take care of yourself.

If your still with your folks and they didn't prepare...you gonna die.

• 7 years later...

You know any type of firearm is a pretty sure way of surviving the first few weeks. Then food runs out you eventually run out of bullets. So learning how to make bullets is pretty useful and not difficult really. Better yet learn how to use a bow then you can hunt for food and of course fishing. 

While personal defense is typically the most important I believe that as time moves on you'll have survivors more or less coming together. Though of course there's also canned food important to get used to the taste of it being a little you know past the date haha. In case of a nuclear war is useful to have some ionide tablets. In regards to water well you can usually rain harvest. Though for obvious reasons you should always keep one bullet on you for yourself. 

• Brohoof 1

It’s good to have a few basics like imperishable food, a couple 5 gallon jugs of water, fuel, a generator, flashlight, warm clothing, a gun and ammo, and the knowledge of how to effectively use these things. In an emergency situation everyone would have to make spontaneous decisions that could mean life or death, so I would use guerrilla tactics to improve my odds; moving by stealth to avoid other humans and, of course, zombies. Desperation can bring out the worst in people and I’d want to avoid interaction, even if it means having less access to supplies. Security and self-preservation would be paramount, then a secure base and the collecting of necessary provisions. I’d have my go-bag ready; fully stocked with my plushies, makeup kit, a good pair of heels and my finger paints. I’m good to go. :proud:

• Brohoof 1