Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv How often do you stick to your demographic?

Shiki

We see tons of things getting attention from consumers that are outside the target audience.

Bronies are this, obviously. As well as the young, pre pubescent children playing Call of Duty and other warfare video games.

So do you actually find things that make you their "target" to be appealing? Or no?

For me, I don't really stick to things that are meant for people my age. I'll speak mostly about anime, because that's basically the only kind of thing I watch or partake in, in general.

I never watch any of the shounen or shoujo (for kids to younger teens (which would be me)) anime out there. They're typically very violent, sexual, unintelligent, generic, or any combination of the 4 (or more).

Most of the anime I watch are considered "seinen," or for "adult males." No, this doesn't mean it's hentai. Get your head out of the gutter. It can be sexual and perverted and such, but those are not the kind that I watch at all. 

...Except Bakemonogatari. But that's a whole different discussion. 

But anyway, I also usually dislike things most teenagers my age are into. All the... mtv... or... do they even watch that..? See? I don't even know what the kids watch these days, because I DON'T watch it.

Not that it matters, anyway...

Even when it comes to books, I really dislike the teen drama that's out there. I was forced to read a few teen books in school (we were reading them so the kids could "connect" with them better), and I wanted to rip my hair out and transform into Zoop 2.01.

I don't even like MLP that much, and it's definitely targeted towards younger audiences in general. Certainly their main audience isn't grown men, though there are a good many who do watch le ponez.

What about everyone else, though? Is anyone like me in this regard?

• Brohoof 1

For most part I spit in the face of things geared toward my "demographic", I don't really like first person shooter games mostly because I feel like they stopped trying to make them good years ago and are just churning out the same generic copypasta games with different titles. I really miss alot of the old school shooters like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and Goldeneye, and the side scrolling shooters like Metal Slug and Contra. I could seriously do without reality shows and probably about 90% of the other garbage that passes for TV these days which seems hell bent on appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I can handle stuff like sex and violence but the sheer stupidity and utter lack of creativity and originality especially in the "teen" shows is something I can't stand. One of the few things in my "demographic" I actually like is pro wrestling, when they get into the soap opera like dialogue it annoys the hell out of me but some of the other dialogue is tolerable or in some cases actually entertaining and the fights are always fun to watch. Most of the things I watch, read or play are geared either toward young children or teens which as a 27 year old man isn't supposed to be my "demographic" but I could seriously care less I like what I like because I like it end of story.

I almost never stick to my own demographic, especially when it comes to music.  I'm a teenager, supposed to like Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Breaking Benjamin, Etc.  But instead, I'd prefer to cruise with Neil Young, Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, and the likes.  As for consumer products, I would have to say that I'm all over the place though.  Never really thought about how what I buy might pertain to my age group.  Interesting topic though, nice job.

interestign question, but hard to tell, for me...

I try something, I like it, I stick to it, so far that includes MLP:FIM and the Brony community as well as oldtimers (yea, cars), demographic is fairly overrated, if you like something why not enjoy it...

I have no idea what I should be into what is not completely meaningless to me (that excludes my studies, my job of course)...

For example, my taste of music goes from "classics" from the 60s and 70s over Nightcore (actually quite cool music) to electro/ house music.

Most important is often just to do your thing, not to let a current trend have too much influence on you, to me, that is.

Not very often.  For one I am an older teen and I still LOVE MLP!  Also, I like to read a lot of poems and autobiographies and watch documentaries as a teenager.  So I guess you could say aside from my love for anime, nothing about me even remotely relates to my demographic.  I'm just weird that way.

I watch whatever and play whatever the crap I feel like to be honest Xd. I don't pay any attention to the demographic and the demographic doesn't matter, and it doesn't matter anymore even less after MLP. I just see if I like it and if I do I watch or play it, simple as that.

• Brohoof 1

Demographics can piss off. I live on my own watch, not somebody else's. If I like something, I like it. I don't care about what other people think, or what's considered normal.

Being normal is not being genuine, and I can't stand it when people aren't genuine.

• Brohoof 1

: like most other users here have echoed I tend to watch what I like. Does it bother me that MLP is targeted at little girls? not one bit, because I enjoy it regardless. I couldn't care less :).

I don't even like MLP that much, and it's definitely targeted towards younger audiences in general. Certainly their main audience isn't grown men, though there are a good many who do watch le ponez.

If you don't even like show than why are you even here? if you just like the forums for the sake of talking I can understand, but if you don't like the show (or hardly like it) then why do you stick around?

The impression I'm getting for guys my age is that their interests are dating/family life, going out with the guys, sports, or work. 

Well, I got sports, that's about it. 

Now if you want to change the demographic to 30+ year old *geeks*, well yeah then I kinda fit right in for the most part.  With my at least "above average" interest in comics, star wars, other sci-fi, and anime, I'm pretty much right down the middle of that particular demo. 

Edited by hawkflame

• 8 years later...

I'm a "all over the place" kind of guy - I am a young adult who plays the video game Ghost Recon while switching to Minecraft seconds later, I watch Terminator then Transformers Prime, I read Fox News then Equestria Daily, and I go from lifting weights to sleeping in bed with my MLP plushie. I sometimes stick to my demographic, but honestly I do whatever I want regardless of what demographic the product is targeted towards.

• Brohoof 1