Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Derpy is overrated?

~Scootaloo

56 users have voted

1. 1. Derpy is overrated: yay or nay?

• yay
    • nay

Somewhat.I used to think that her few seconds of screen time shouldn't have resulted in her fame but she eventually grew on to me and now I'm always happy to see her snooping around in the background 

Edited by OdinForced

There just seems a bit special about her. Whenever I see her, I immediately smile. She's always funny looking or doing slightly funny or "derpy." ^_^

So, no I don't think she's overrated.

Derpy is so overrated it's ridiculous. She's just a background pony that has said.. Let me see.. 9 words. She has derp eyes. So what?

I don't understand people when they're saying Derpy is their favorite character.

btw. I miss the old days when you actually had to look for her in each episode as an easter egg.

A lot of fans are in love with the fan-based interpretation of characters. To me, Derpy is nothing too special. If she hadn't had the wall-eyed thing, she probably wouldn't be as popular as she is. But "overrated" is such an ugly word. Let's just say I don't like her as much as some people seem to.

Edited by Full Spectrum

But "overrated" is such an ugly word. Let's just say I don't like her as much as some people seem to.

Well to me thats just what she is. She's just a generic bloody background pony who got special attention due to her eye positioning. 

Well to me thats just what she is. She's just a generic bloody background pony who got special attention due to her eye positioning. 

Oh, it's just a philosophical objection I have to the word being used when talking about someone's preferences. It seems to imply that the popularity of the "overrated" thing is higher than it should be, which just seems presumptuous. But you if really must use the word, it's not like I can stop you... wink.png

Another one is when someone uses the phrase "X begs the question Y" to mean "X makes me ask Y..." (no pun intended) biggrin.png

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 1

But you if really must use the word, it's not like I can stop you...

If you wanted to go into dictator mode you could edit the thread title. A better word in place of overrated:

-Over popularized

-Saturated

You mean like every generic background pony that gets special attention because of their mane? Or like every generic background pony that gets special attention because of their colour pallet? Or like every generic background pony that gets attention because of their supposed hobby?

No, I don't think Derpy is overrated at all. In fact, I think her existence is incredibly significant, not just to the MLP fandom, but to fan culture in general. 

There was this lovely scholar chap named Michel de Certeau. He once said that the consumer will never be able to occupy official or production based space. Now, I believe he was talking about consumerism in general as opposed to fandoms specifically, but fandoms are probably the epitome of consumerism anyway, so the same logic applies. (Don't worry guys, I totally know what I'm talking about) Anyway, the fact that MLP fans effected the show the way it did with Derpy is pretty incredible. It's nice to see that fans can actually influence the show like this (even if it's just a tiny bit). Derpy as a character might not be anymore special then some of the other background ponies, but what's happened through Derpy is pretty awesome. Also, don't forget that she was pretty much the first background pony the fans really noticed, so it's not surprising that she receives so much attention.

We sure showed this Michel bloke, anyway. 

Edited by Hansel

Hmm, let me think extremely deeply about this. A background pony who spoke about two lines, being loved more than a significantly more developed farm pony with a complex personality. I have trouble deciding.

Oh, and people who selected "no", call me someone who doesn't accept opinions, but it's sadly bias that caused people to select something contrary to overwhelming evidence. :U Puh-lease.

Edited by Manaphy
  • Brohoof 4

I lost all appreciation for Derpy right after the whole Soccer Mom crap, only because of the whole "omg guise drpy is n imprtnt charktur n we gut 2 git hr back!!!!@!!!!1111!!" thing, so yea, she's overrated, and a lot

• Brohoof 1

We sure showed this Michel bloke, anyway. 

I can assure you calling him or anyone else for that mater a bloke or any other name is not going to help you whatsoever.

I will agree with you though there are some background ponies who get attention purely due to looks (such as Flitter and Cloudchaser), but they hardly get as much attention as Derpy does or ever will.

Anyway, the fact that MLP fans effected the show the way it did with Derpy is pretty incredible. It's nice to see that fans can actually influence the show like this (even if it's just a tiny bit).

It's nice to see that they pay attention to us, but I want the writers to write the show. Not the fans.

• Brohoof 2

I can assure you calling him or anyone else for that mater a bloke or any other name is not going to help you whatsoever.

... What? huh.png

I will agree with you though there are some background ponies who get attention purely due to looks (such as Flitter and Cloudchaser), but they hardly get as much attention as Derpy does or ever will.

Derpy gets more attention because Derpy is more popular. Derpy is more popular because she was practically the first background pony fans really noticed, and because it led to interesting communication between the fans and the production team, which actually went beyond just Derpy.

She's also adorable.

It's nice to see that they pay attention to us, but I want the writers to write the show. Not the fans.

The are writing the show.

Edited by Hansel

What? 

Calling people names (like you did with Michel) is not going to help anything.

Derpy gets more attention because Derpy is more popular. Derpy is more popular because she was practically the first background pony fans really noticed, and because it led to interesting communication between the fans and the production team, which actually went beyond just Derpy.

I still think she gets far too much attention compared to the rest. Either way Derpy probably won't be talking again thanks to idiot soccer moms. Well she might be able to talk if they can find a way to make Derpy equal with the others.

Calling people names (like you did with Michel) is not going to help anything.

I wasn't calling him names.

bloke  

/blōk/

Noun
A man; a fellow.

Synonyms
fellow - chap - guy - man - cove - joker - person

I still think she gets far too much attention compared to the rest. Either way Derpy probably won't be talking again thanks to idiot soccer moms. Well she might be able to talk if they can find a way to make Derpy equal with the others.

And that's fine. I just wanted to explain why I appreciate her. Heck, she's not even my favourite background pony, but totally get why she's so popular. 

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 1

The word overrated is so overrated... tongue.png

I voted no and here's why.

Derpy is like any other background pony or mane pony for that matter, they've the same possibilities to grow within the fandom. Derpy was one of those who got noticed very early in the series due to her randomness,clumpiness and the eyes of course, something that made her unique.

After her first appearances, fans started to develop her further through fanon content. Which resulted in more canon content, thus becoming the icon for the connection between the studio and the community. And so her popularity growth was explained. This could've happened to any character really.

(Derpy is not my favorite background pony btw. Lyra, i'm looking at you)

People may have a different opinion on this matter or outright dislike the amount of attention Derpy gets, that's perfectly fine, everyone has their own liking but don't use the term "Overrated" in such meaningless way to make someone seem more "opinionated" than others. I'm not saying it's totally meaningless because it isn't but too many use it without backing up with valid reasons. "Derpy doesn't deserve more attention than Fluttershy because she isn't a main character" Is not a valid reason.

Respect others opinions even though you completely disagree with them.

• Brohoof 3

Not at all, most Derpy fans are well aware that Derpy hasn't had much screen time and fans all have their different interpretations of her but to say that Derpy fans only like her because of her walled eyes while not entirely inaccurate is a bit of an oversimplification. Alot of people like Derpy because she is seen as different due to her eyes and clumsy child like nature which causes a lot of fans to really relate to her on a deep personal level because they for their own reasons understand what it is like to be seen as different. Derpy is a missed opportunity to reach out to fans who are seen as different and to show that it is possible to portray characters who are a little different in a thoughtful manner.

• Brohoof 1

Why exactly is this in forum lounge? Whatever, I wouldn't go so far as to say she's overrated necessarily, but I feel like she's not as...what's the word...exciting, I guess...as some fans make her out to be.

• 2 years later...